I was wondering if anyone knew of any locations you can trap that can get counselors by surprise.

Traps seem to be used exclusively on objectives.  I don't like that.  It's wasted potential.

Personally I only trap the phonebox if I'm a Jason with low traps.  Otherwise I like looking for locations that could catch counselors by surprise if they don't pay attention.

Pinehurst is the perfect location for this; trapping the bridges makes them great choke points and players may not pay attention because nobody is expecting a trap there.

Has anyone found a good routine for alternative trap locations?

Nowhere that is routinely good. After a few matches with some players you tend to learn the paths they take, sometimes you get lucky.

I generally trap the phone and batteries of both cars when playing with a -traps Jason. Otherwise I like to trap atleast one entry at the phone house along with the fuse box. Putting a trap at the Packanack Lodge main door usually catches someone especially with an objective near. Trashing a random unvisited cabin and placing a trap at the door is another favorite.

Also going after a camper in a cabin, it's worked well placing a trap at the door before busting through. Provided windows have been smashed of course.

On Packanak: The mapstand, the stairs by the front door.

On Crystal Lake: The mapstand, the boat when it spawns directly against land by the boathouse.

• Like 2

Usually you want to put at least one trap on the phone because it's obviously the one objective you don't want the counselors fixing.

From what I know, the map stand is a good non-meta spot because people don't expect it there, yet they visit it frequently if they can't find a map in a drawer after some time has passed. I've seen some success at the bonfires too since people try to look for items/weapons there, but you have to get creative about where you place them. For instance, if you put one near a picnic table, you can sometimes catch counselors off guard if they try to use the table to kite you.

If you think like a predator it is fairly easy to find good places to trap as most people, like animals, will take the path of least resistance.

With this knowledge you will know that you want to place traps in frequently traveled areas that have some sort of bottleneck.

Some of the previous suggestions are good but I need to note that you should ALWAYS double trap the phone no matter what Jason you are playing as. This discourages the use of pocket knives as the counselors are much less likely to use 2 pocket knives to disarm the traps. This means that you will always be alerted when somebody makes a mad dash for your phone.

One of you mentioned trapping the narrow bridges on Pinehurst, which is a smart move every now and then but if you want an almost guaranteed surprise trap I suggest trapping the narrow bridge leading to the island boat spawns on Jarvis House. I can't even tell you how many people have rage quit the second they step off that bridge and get caught in my trap when they think they are going to have a clean getaway on the boat. :P

If you are Part 2 and want to be even more of a dick on Jarvis House you can double trap the narrow bridges leading to the boat so they are impassible unless the counselors step on the trap or go around the bridge and swim to the island.

• Like 3

Near the shack. Not obviously right in front of the door, but in the area in and around the most likely pathways to escape after they grab the sweater. Caught many thieves stealing from mama this way.

I like to drop one outside the kitchen window on Packanack lodge on my way by from the phone or generator at the back. It's best when you can get someone to jump through the glass onto the trap. B)

i sometimes lay a trap in a poorly lit spot between two cabins. later in a match I'll often be chasing players and one of those traps will trigger.

I find a more common, but one I see less is putting a trap down after breaking a power generator. Especially if you know it gives power to the cabin to call Tommy. I've seen that work more then it doesn't.    

i find for some reason traps in Higgins outside main house catch people more then it should.   

The foot of the staircase outside Packanack tends to work well when it comes to catching counselors by surprise. The generator by the phone box works well, also.

BTW, I think you should be able to pick up traps you dropped and re-use them as long as they haven't been tripped already. It's frustrating when you accidentally fuck up and put them off-center and have to compensate by laying a second trap next to it. 

• Like 1

No evil in being creative with your traps. I once trapped the map stand in Packanack. A friend of mine that was playing counselor that match would not shut up about how it was a "dick move" for a whole week.

Still, I think you should only get creative with your spares. No one's going to force you to trap the phone box and the cars, but if you don't, you risk allowing the counselors an easy escape.

3 hours ago, The Chosen One said:

I like to trap the narrow path on Jarvis house.

Are you talking about the one that has large rock walls on either side that leads to the southern part of the map?

Some good ideas.

I usually trap the windows nearest an objective since the doors will either be destroyed or locked.

Problem is tanking still makes whatever clever snags you make irrelevant. Also the fact that he can't pickup his traps or reset them via a throwing knife or something as a cost. He has limits, counselors don't.

The entrance to those 2 small cabins outside of Packanack works sometimes, if you have a few extra traps to spare.

my favorite thing to do is if im part 2 and im in a escape focused lobby. i tend to put 1 trap at fuse as "bait" then ill put a trap on both side of the road by the exits where cops show up because most people will juke jason and run along side of the road in grass. i have got cussed at alot with this method afterwards in the lobby!!! lol

It is absolutely pointless to use traps on anything besides objectives except for the power on the Tommy house if you find it on your first morph. 

Any other trap you place randomly, even as a Part II, is a wasted trap   As Jason your priority is to control the objectives and force people to have to try and play the survive the night game.  Not just ignore the fuse box, and get an AJ or Deborah who fixes it, then has legendary or epic my dads a cop and the cops show up in 3:30. 

6 minutes ago, SirMang said:

It is absolutely pointless to use traps on anything besides objectives except for the power on the Tommy house if you find it on your first morph. 

Any other trap you place randomly, even as a Part II, is a wasted trap   As Jason your priority is to control the objectives and force people to have to try and play the survive the night game.  Not just ignore the fuse box, and get an AJ or Deborah who fixes it, then has legendary or epic my dads a cop and the cops show up in 3:30. 

You think so? I've found them quite useful when you come across a cabin full of bunched up counselors. I've even gotten the short end of that stick as counselor before. 

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You think so? I've found them quite useful when you come across a cabin full of bunched up counselors. I've even gotten the short end of that stick as counselor before. 

I've been in plenty of games where Jason's have tried to get cute with their traps.  

They'll corner me in a cabin, which I've always been fine with taking their aggro because it means the other people should be getting shit done.  They'll take out all but one window and I'll hear them place a trap.  Well I now know they trapped the window they left undestroyed.  Then, sometimes, they'll trap again which means now I know the door is trapped.  Problem with the door is you can't trap the entire doorway so as long as the counselor is paying attention,you can easily go around the door trap. 

So Jason does his best Kevin McAllister Home Alone impression on the outside of the cabin which takes him about a minute to do all of it.  He then has to break down the door to get into the cabin.  He then finds my trap on the inside.  If he's not a 4,8 or Savini he's now wasted about another minute.  I stand near by him to get a cheap stun after he comes out of the trap.  There's another 10-15 seconds.  I know he's trapped the door so I just look down as I saunter passed the stunned Jason so I know which side of the doorframe to hug going out.  If he doesn't trap the door at all, I just run straight through.   Say at worse in this process when I stun Jason, I stun him blocking the door because it can happen.  I have two choices.  A. I can run around the furniture til I get a clear path to the door or a clear path to another easy stun or B. I just go out one of the broken windows and take minimal damage. 

Jason has now wasted an easy 2:15 trying to kill one person and wasted one or two traps in the process and that's just at one cabin.  Say he's a 5 trap Jason, he's now trapped the fuse box once - one knife and no trap and easy call.  And he's trapped the 2 seater in one spot and the 4 seater in one spot. 

Any trap you don't place on an objective is an open invitation for counselors to escape and escape quickly.  And good luck dealing with 5. 6. or 7 counselors on the main road waiting for the police as Jason.  

well the game style most be different between consoles and maybe even by time of day. i dont trap the cars and rarely do they get fixed(except by my friends who know my strategy). theres a guy on ps4 with gamertag of zombie something who mains a vanessa with all epic thick skinned,hypo, and medic and the matches ive come across this guy all he really does is tank jason traps at objectives