I've been keeping track of my game results as I've progressed from level 18 to level 36, mainly to get a sense of how many XP are required between levels (and also 'cause I'm probably a little OCD...oh well).

Doing this has also given me a fair sample size to draw some conclusions about the frequencies of certain outcomes.  This is obviously just my own experience, and from Quick Play at that, so I'm not suggesting anyone will or has experienced something similar, but the numbers are interesting. 

Total quick play counselor matches from level 18 to level 36:  142

Total Wins (escape/survive): 20 (14%)

Total Losses (death/betrayal): 83 (59%)

Total Host Rage Quits: 9 (6%)

Total Jason Quits: 16 (11%)

Total Connections Lost: 14 (10%)

Or, to put it in a slightly different way:

Complete Matches: 103 (73%)

Incomplete Matches: 39 (27%)

Or, to put it in yet another different way:

Matches Resulting in XP: 119 (84%)

Matches Resulting in No XP: 23 (16%)

The one result that really surprised me was that Host Rage Quitting was only at 6% - it certainly seems like it happens more often!  I always breathe a little easier when I get to host my own lobby!

-J

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

What platform do you play on?

2 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

What platform do you play on?

Good point!  I'm on XBox.

Obviously there are things at play like the need for more people's data, but from an individual point it's fairly interesting.

Goes to show that sometimes the "QP matches are toxic" threads that keep popping up from time to time are nothing more than the most pissed off people deciding to make a thread. In other words, the community isn't necessarily bad as we think it is, rather it's moreso we remember the most polarizing games rather than the countless uneventful ones that we play.

• Like 1

Nice research, do not have figures on my own (PS4), but my guessed rate for host (rage) quitting would also be around 5%, every 20th Match or so, the rate of connection time outs also seems higher for me

Question I am wondering about, if those „host rage quits“ are really rage quits OR just time out connection errors by them?

I remember a game I was Jason and stalked, shifted, chased 2 counselors for 4-5 minutes without killing them, but getting stunned a lot - after the 5th minute I had a connection time out - for them (and the already killed spectators) it could/must have just felt as another Jason rage quit...

Just now, Wolledc said:

Question I am wondering about, if those „host rage quits“ are really rage quits OR just time out connection errors by them?

I remember a game I was Jason and stalked, shifted, chased 2 counselors for 4-5 minutes without killing them, but getting stunned a lot - after the 4th minute I had a connection time out - for them ( and the already killed spectators) it could/must have just felt as another Jason rage quit...

I seem to time out more as Jason than as counselors. Was having a good fun match over the weekend with only a few players left in the round and noticed I couldn't do anything and my abilities weren't recharging. Then came the timed out message. 

1 hour ago, JasonSquared said:

I've been keeping track of my game results as I've progressed from level 18 to level 36, mainly to get a sense of how many XP are required between levels (and also 'cause I'm probably a little OCD...oh well).

Doing this has also given me a fair sample size to draw some conclusions about the frequencies of certain outcomes.  This is obviously just my own experience, and from Quick Play at that, so I'm not suggesting anyone will or has experienced something similar, but the numbers are interesting. 

The one result that really surprised me was that Host Rage Quitting was only at 6% - it certainly seems like it happens more often!  I always breathe a little easier when I get to host my own lobby!

-J

Do you have a count of how many times the connection to the host is lost while in the Lobby?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Obviously there are things at play like the need for more people's data, but from an individual point it's fairly interesting.

Goes to show that sometimes the "QP matches are toxic" threads that keep popping up from time to time are nothing more than the most pissed off people deciding to make a thread. In other words, the community isn't necessarily bad as we think it is, rather it's moreso we remember the most polarizing games rather than the countless uneventful ones that we play.

Errr except "toxic" play can happen in far more ways than host quits and jason quits. Betrayals, trolling, racism/sexism, harassment, exploitingz, and outright ridiculous selfishness are all varying degrees of toxic. All of these things can still occur in completed matches. 

I play QP and Private, and I have had some great matches in both. That said, QP lobbies are toxic in one way or another at least 25% of the time, probably even more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Errr except "toxic" play can happen in far more ways than host quits and jason quits. Betrayals, trolling, racism/sexism, harassment, exploitingz, and outright ridiculous selfishness are all varying degrees of toxic. All of these things can still occur in completed matches. 

I play QP and Private, and I have had some great matches in both. That said, QP lobbies are toxic in one way or another at least 25% of the time, probably even more.

The problem with this idea is that your evidence is, at best, anecdotal. It's true the evidence the OP posted is also, but my post talked about the idea that the threads which are commonly posted complaining about toxicity are based on bad/toxic games the user just had recently. In other words, while they had bad games, there's a chance the majority of games they played aren't toxic, but they chose to complain about the fewer toxic instances rather than the overall amount games they had played their entire time in the game.

It's known as "negativity bias." So people will post threads repeatedly when they had toxic games that pissed them off, yet if official evidence gathering was done there's a chance the majority of their total games played are actually neutral. That's not a fact, rather a theory of mine, but the issue with negativity bias is that it makes a community seem more toxic/bad than it really is at times. Just people blowing off steam by raging on the threads, making others think the community is worse than it appears.

Edit: This can also sometimes hide the actual opinions of a community as a whole. For instance, a thread was once created that talked about how people felt about parts showing up on the map. While many people were vehemently opposed to the idea, a poll revealed that the majority of people taking the poll actually supported the idea. In other words, the "silent majority" didn't want to get on the "loud minority's" case, so it just appeared that people hated the idea when in reality there was a great deal of support behind it.

Edited by Trident77
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

The problem with this idea is that your evidence is, at best, anecdotal. It's true the evidence the OP posted is also, but my post talked about the idea that the threads which are commonly posted complaining about toxicity are based on bad/toxic games the user just had recently. In other words, while they had bad games, there's a chance the majority of games they played aren't toxic, but they chose to complain about the fewer toxic instances rather than the overall games they played.

It's known as "negativity bias." So people will post threads repeatedly when they had toxic games that pissed them off, yet if official evidence gathering was done there's a chance the majority of their games are actually neutral. That's not a fact, rather a theory of mine, but the issue with negativity bias is that it makes a community seem more toxic/bad than it really is at times. Just people blowing off steam by raging on the threads, making others think the community is worse than it appears.

Edit: This can also sometimes hide the actual opinions of a community as a whole. For instance, a thread was once created that talked about how people felt about parts showing up on the map. While many people were vehemently opposed to the idea, a poll revealed that the majority of people taking the poll actually supported the idea. In other words, the "silent majority" didn't want to get on the "loud minority's" case, so it just appeared that people hated the idea when in reality there was a great deal of support behind it.

I understand that. But that in itself is a theory and no more anecdotal than what complainers are saying. 

The problem is the op's evidence is not about toxic matches. Its not evidence in your favor... Its not even evidence relevant to our discussion other than it tracks a small sample size of rage/host quits. You are making it about toxicity when it is not, which suggests you want it to be badly... Which suggests substantial personal bias. I know all about negativity bias. I am a professional counsellor and took psychology all through university. I know what you mean, I just don't thinkbtoxicity is the subject to apply it to. Toxicity is often harassment, which is rarely (although occassionaly) falsely reported. 

And you're right, many threads on toxic matches are reactionary based on recent games. I hear that, but we need to encourage a healthy and respectful gaming environment, so looking for random ways to dissprove toxicity is counterproductive. 

I have not just come from a toxic match, and I would say that on PS4, roughly 30 - 40% of matches have an element of toxicity. I wouldnt call them all outright toxic, but close. And some, maybe 1/4 of games are very toxic in terms of players getting harassed etc.

I'm not on here to complain about it, but if someone makes a post about harassment I'm not going to jump in saying prove it or else. Lets all just encourage safe, fun gaming. 

PS: that sucks about your poll. That's too bad. 

4 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

*snip

Eh, you know what, I was going to post something long here but screw it. I said my idea was a theory, not fact, so I was doing my best to say an idea that minimized personal bias. But who cares, we both don't like bias; we don't like toxicity; and whatever, we'll do our best to fight it, so all's good in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trident77 said:

Eh, you know what, I was going to post something long here but screw it. I said my idea was a theory, not fact, so I was doing my best to say an idea that minimized personal bias. But who cares, we both don't like bias; we don't like toxicity; and whatever, we'll do our best to fight it, so all's good in the world.

Absolutely haha. Hey, no need to argue if it isn't necessary. You are obviously a smart person and i do relate about bias and such... it is so prevelent on these boards it can get crazy. I mean... We are all bias (me too) but certain posters can't seem to recognize how it ahapes their demands for the game, which is mind blowing.

1 hour ago, Wolledc said:

I considered it a 'Host Rage Quit' if I got the message 'You were kicked: the host has left the game.'

If I got the message 'Connection to Host Lost' or 'Connection Timed-Out', then I considered it a 'Connection Lost.'

This assumes that the error messages are consistent in each case.  But I have wondered, when I am the host and I lose my connection, whether my lobby thinks I raged on them!

46 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

Do you have a count of how many times the connection to the host is lost while in the Lobby?

That I haven't kept track of, sorry!

If I had $1 for every time this game crashed or ''lost connection'' to the host since launch...

I would have enough to kickstart a sequel 😄 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

If I had $1 for every time this game crashed or ''lost connection'' to the host since launch...

I would have enough to kickstart a sequel 😄 

giphy.gif

That and the host quits are the reason why I haven't played quick play since November and will not until the servers are dealt with and I'm sure it's not happening anymore.

Nice work with the stats. Would be interesting to see how many games actually start with all 7 counselors in play as well. I find that's the most common gripe in the end - leavers.

Maybe they could implement some kind of timer that prevents you from joining a new online game for a period of time (5-15min?) if you quit at the start. Obviously this shouldn't be a big deal if you really have to go - chances are the time would expire before you get back.

9 hours ago, JasonSquared said:

Wow. I can't believe it. I thought this was a legitimate concern but it ends up being another overreaction by the F13 community.   

11 hours ago, JasonSquared said:

-J

That’s crazy only 6% rage quit, definitely seems like it’s way higher like you said. I just had to switch to Xbox because my PS broke, and it seems like there’s more rage quitting on Xbox unfortunately, but that might just be how it feels. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:29 PM, The Tommy said:

I seem to time out more as Jason than as counselors. Was having a good fun match over the weekend with only a few players left in the round and noticed I couldn't do anything and my abilities weren't recharging. Then came the timed out message. 

I hate it when that happens. On the 15th of last month, I had gotten six kills as Jason on either Crystal Lake or Packanack (Not sure which one it was). I'm pretty sure Rage hadn't even activated yet. I knew where Tommy and a Tiffany were at. Someone tried repairing a car, but before I could morph over there and get another kill, the game started lagging a lot. I somehow managed to morph over there, and that's when the lag gets really bad. It gets so bad I can't even move my camera. I'm playing with Jason looking at the camera. When I finally start regaining control, that's when the game loses connection. I end up discovering that the host was a 14 year old who shut off his wifi (Either out of anger or boredom). This was also against six level 150s. The seventh counselor was around level 20 or 30. It felt really good to be demolishing multiple high level players. I was expecting to have to work really hard to beat them. 

@JasonSquared Were you able to determine how many kids and adults rage quit? Is there a higher chance to have a kid rage quit?

42 minutes ago, SnakeSound222 said:

@JasonSquared Were you able to determine how many kids and adults rage quit? Is there a higher chance to have a kid rage quit?

No, that's pretty tough to keep accurate stats of, since a lot of hosts don't have mics, so I can't tell how old they are.

• Like 1

There has to be a huge opportunity for advanced metrics.  Frankly, I'm surprised Sony and MS haven't jumped all over this as an extension to their existing online services.  I know I'd pay a little bit extra for advanced data, especially on certain games like this one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

There has to be a huge opportunity for advanced metrics.  Frankly, I'm surprised Sony and MS haven't jumped all over this as an extension to their existing online services.  I know I'd pay a little bit extra for advanced data, especially on certain games like this one.

Yeah, I'm sure they have all sorts of stats on how these games play out.  I suspect (hope) that the developers have access to the advanced metrics so that they know exactly how many matches end early and why.

Of course, if they did, they wouldn't need a reporting system for team killers or frequent ragers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JasonSquared said:

Yeah, I'm sure they have all sorts of stats on how these games play out.  I suspect (hope) that the developers have access to the advanced metrics so that they know exactly how many matches end early and why.

Of course, if they did, they wouldn't need a reporting system for team killers or frequent ragers.

Oh, the devs definitely have access to those numbers.  I just would prefer a user-tailored suite to examine the individual data.  How many times I've escaped.  How many people I've slashed.  The numbers are there, somewhere, and I think it would help anyone willing to get better at the game and is willing to look into the data scientifically a way to pick up on patterns both good and bad on an individual basis and make adjustments.  

I know I would.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, JasonSquared said:

That surprised me as well. Any chance you know how many matches you were hosting? I'm sure that accounts for the low percentage.