Kodiak

Community poll: Biggest concerns with current patch

Gameplay community poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest issue with the game in terms of gameplay in it's current state?

• Jason is overpowered
    • Counselors are overpowered
    • Counselor perks are imbalanced
    • Perks are too difficult/easy to get (RNG problems)
    • It is too easy to escape
    • It is too difficult to escape
    • There are too many items on the maps
    • There are too few items on the maps
    • Chain-stunning Jason/trapping is my biggest issue
    • Jason has too much trouble against groups of counselors
    • There are too many issues with collision detection (weapons hitting thin air, vehicles crashing on pebbles, etc.)
    • There are too many game-breaking glitches
    • Emote trolling
    • The maps are unfair and favor either Jason or the counselors
    • Other (explain below for your vote to be counted)

6 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Counselors are kids, so why are they able to beat on an immortal killer with frickin' wrenches, pipes and bats?

I've wondered that for a long time. I don't have a problem with the fact that counselors can stun Jason, but I find that (even after the most recent patch) it happens a lot more often than it should. I mean, this guy is a huge, insane, sometimes undead (depending on which Jason is being played) maniac!  I think that if a 110 lb girl ran up on Kane Hodder in real life and smacked him with a cooking pot, it would just make him mad...or make him laugh, because he is kind of crazy. :lol: 

I still think that hit detection is the largest problem with the current build, but the stun-parties do make it tedious when you are Jason. Stun-locking really doesn't affect me that much, since I don't play as Jason very often, and as a counselor I do my best to avoid him and get work done. Unfortunately, sometimes you don't have a choice and have to use the combat system and it is clunky for both sides. I hope that it is something that is addressed in the upcoming patch.

Collision detection and rubber banding back to the car when getting out and thinking you've run away are a tie for me.

Other: Not enough variety in regards to itemization, perks, progression etc.

2 hours ago, Kodiak said:

Thanks to those who are partaking in the poll, hopefully many more will vote too!

@Bropollocreed79 indeed a lot of the behavior can be attributed to players, but the question is how prevalent is this problematic behavior? Is it such an issue that it's the community's biggest concern? This poll is just to see what issues people view as the worst.

My biggest issue is also getting ganged up on by counselors. I've learned how to deal with them but it's not an enjoyable part of the game for me; I find it takes away from the power fantasy I have when I play Jason, and that's the thing that's most fun about playing him - feeling powerful and unstoppable. When you're recovering from a stun just to have some daft teenager waiting to whack you with a baseball bat, it takes away from the fun. Counselors are kids, so why are they able to beat on an immortal killer with frickin' wrenches, pipes and bats?

Let me provide some examples of why killing groups can be simply irritating rather than being fun. Let's assume we have a group of counselors who are sticking together like glue.

#1 - Counselors group up together. They know the range they can stand near Jason where he can't hit them. They surround him so he risks getting attacked from all sides, and he can't move fast enough to actually close the gap. Their stamina remains really high because they just keep jogging to keep that optimal range. So, what do you do here? Move on to the second bit.

#2 - Jason collects and starts using knives to get rid of them. No problem for them though, they could have anything from 1 to 6 first aid spray uses in their inventory. Even 2 first aid spray uses (medic perk or 2 sprays) will deplete at least 6 knives to get a counselor in to a limping state, and that's assuming every knife hits. At this point, knives remaining on the map are few and far between. Move on to #3.

#3 - Direct combat. At this point, the group of counselors is starting to get really annoying. I'll use a Jason with +weapon strength for this scenario. So, you've used a dozen or so knives and there's still a group of counselors coming for you. You decide it's time to put that +weapon strength to the test and go on a direct combat offensive. What happens here? Two things: either they keep jogging just outside of range like in example #1, or they see you blocking and stop attacking so their weapons don't break. So you're there using combat mode trying to keep up with them and they still jog out of your range. You toggle off combat mode to close some distance and someone comes up to whack you in the back or side. Experienced counselors know when Jason is blocking that he moves really slowly; so slowly you don't even have to worry about your stamina running out. Move on to #4.

#4 - Stalk-shifting. This is one of the only viable methods to take out these kinds of players as they don't see it coming. If they're out in the open, you have a high chance of getting an easy shift grab, but then you have to contend with knives and their nearby team mates, so grabbing becomes difficult to use. Only other option is stalk-shift stabbing, where instead of grabbing whilst shifting you attempt to attack them. Easy to land a few hits, but whilst you're waiting for shift and stalk to recharge again, you're back in example #3.

So to summarize, Jason can be controlled very easily if counselors do the following things:

1. Stick together closely.
  2. Use the medic perk and have a first aid spray (which there always seems to be plenty of).
  3. Dodge knives when he starts throwing them.
  4. Don't attack Jason whilst he has combat stance up so your weapons don't break.
  5. If he's not nearby, then he's going to be stalking and likely shifting at you. Just simply get into a cabin together so the only way in is through the front door, and obviously immediately into someone else's stun..

I haven't encountered a group of counselors who were so good that I couldn't stop them, but I guarantee that if I had a few counselors under my lead we could easily put all these points I've just mentioned into practice. How does Jason defeat you when he can't grab kill any of you (due to nearby counselors and pocket knives), can't kill you with knives (because there aren't enough on the map to kill counselors through multiple first aid sprays) and can't beat you in direct combat because there's just too many people swarming around? He takes 1 missed swing and immediately 4 counselors run up and start whacking him, and then he's down on the ground to be chain stunned or chain trapped.

This just takes lots of patience. The benefits to jason is that while this is happening, no one is escaping usually. You are burning through their knives, health sprays, and weapons.

Myself, as Jason, I actually like when counsellors do this. I laugh and just slog through the first few minutes when they have the upper hand and then they start falling one by one. I love that powerful feeling and don't want to lose it.

You'll usually win out but at the expense of your mask if you get wailed on, and then the sweater wearer and Tommy are there waiting. Trying to kill everyone can wear on time quite a bit too. It's just my opinion of course, but I've seen it happening quite a lot when I've played on Steam recently. 

I guess it depends on if you play QP or  PM Teamplay.  For QP, Jason is definitely overpower for non-communicative teams.  You don't stand a chance in hell going alone against a competent Jason.  I've had enough Practice with Jason where unless the team is working into conjunction, I can easily track down each counselor and destroy them.  Maybe one escapes my grasp but its usually only one. If I manage to let two survive, its my fault. But that generally doesn't happen EVER in QP for me now.  The fact is 95-98 percent of QP lobbies DO NOT work together its 'easy hunting" Jason after you set your traps 

In  private team match, Never played one but I what I can tell from that if the team is knowledgeable, communcative  (Only seen a few on QP)  or working together to play "bully Jason" you're gonna be in for a world of hurt with the one hit an seems like 10 second stuns and they can exploit the advantage there. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that they still haven't fixed any of the basic exploits like infinite stamina or sliding.

I would have to say the stun time is way too long and can easily be exploited by a group.  While I play Quick Play mostly, I still believe there are a good amount of players in parties in those lobbies and you can usually tell because they will stick together and none of them are talking in-game.

While I know this is a thread about Game Play issues, but something needs to be done in regards to host migration as well.  It is irritating starting a match and if the host is spawn killed or killed quickly, they are more likely to leave the game than spectate and that ruins the game for the rest of the people in the lobby.  Or the host ends up being Jason and he's getting owned by the counselors and rage quits.

BALANCE and HOST CONNECTIONS are the two main problems with this game that don't see to be improving at all after many months. 

I don't see too many QP lobbies doing anything but just running around solo or standing still in a cabin most of the time and just holding onto items and doing nothing with them .  The ones I do see that are competent is VERY VERY Rare.  Maybe 1 one out of every 40 games, I'll see a team that knows what their doing.  You have be pretty rotten as Jason to not get at least 4 kills in most QP Lobbies now. 

I think the big issue is, "Why do you want to make so EASY?  Its a cakewalk for counselors in in PM, A cakewalk for Jason in QP.  The balance has to be fixed.  

15 hours ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Myself, as Jason, I actually like when counsellors do this. I laugh and just slog through the first few minutes when they have the upper hand and then they start falling one by one. I love that powerful feeling and don't want to lose it.

The problem of doing that is if there is just one "opportunist"  you can be demasked very easily.  If I happen to be around a mob, I'll join in and fish for easy hits with a machete.

• Thanks 1

Premade groups getting Jason and helping him.

The other problems can be expected. I know the car is glitchy. I know Jason is weak against groups. I know the Perk system is a joke.

There is no way to know if counselors are helping Jason or not until it is often too late.

• Sad 1

I put collision detection. It's really stupid to see your weapon pass right through a counselor. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jubileet said:

Other: Not enough variety in regards to itemization, perks, progression etc.

While not my biggest issue, I can certainly agree with this particular sentiment.  

18 hours ago, DorianRo said:

You don't stand a chance in hell going alone against a competent Jason.

Lachappa laughs at your claim, as he regularly escapes on his own within the first ten minutes, even against the most competent of Jasons.

• Haha 1

Double posting, @Bropollocreed79? I've got my eye on you sonny Jim :j2:

For real though, don't double/multi post please.

11 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Double posting, @Bropollocreed79? I've got my eye on you sonny Jim :j2:

For real though, don't double/multi post please.

How-to-Tell-When-a-Puppy-Is-Scared.jpg

Sorry about that.  It was a "stream of consciousness" thing, and I tend to speed-post.

8 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

The problem of doing that is if there is just one "opportunist"  you can be demasked very easily.  If I happen to be around a mob, I'll join in and fish for easy hits with a machete.

Oh for sure. But a demask isn't the ens of the world in some games. I usually have a pretty good idea of which mob could actually pull off killing me or not. Of course, I don't want to underestimate anyone either.

Keeping the power off to the Tommy house is more important to me than traps on objectives 10 stealth 10 strength 10 stamina beast boy needs to stay away but also predictable Jason's are the only Jason's I see get bullied and ganged up on.

As a Jason be like a thunderstorm be everywhere and nowhere, strike randomly, and be preemptive. Save the Vanessa Chad Buggzy Tiffany for last. You deserve to lose the kills if you take the obvious kiter bait. And all counselors have is teamwork I don't see why Gun should stop the 8 vs 1 problem of 8 players destroying 1 player. That 1 player will be on the team of 8 in the next round. Shouldn't teamwork be commended? And encouraged? How will Jason play require skill if it just gets easier with every update? 

I voted it's too easy to escape. And repetitive. For me, the thrill comes In saving each other. All too often new counselors are left to die to a unskilled and unchallenged Jason. 

32 minutes ago, Whammigobambam said:

Keeping the power off to the Tommy house is more important to me than traps on objectives

Sadly, the meta will likely keep regressing to avoid getting killed than protecting objectives. -_-

I went with hit boxes but feel I should chime in and state that hit boxes, counselors grouping, and chain-stunning all feel like they're connected. 

23 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that they still haven't fixed any of the basic exploits like infinite stamina or sliding.

Now be honest....really honest like if there was no one around...

How often do you see people doing those things?

On 3/6/2018 at 5:38 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Hell no. That bug was stupid. It completely negated the struggle mechanic because Jason could fly to an environmental kill spot before they had half a chance to get out. And don't give me that "it was balanced because pocket knives would make Jason fall through the map and die" BS.

This game is supposed to be representative of the films and nowhere in the films did Jason grab someone and fly through the air at 50mph. Give that ability to someone in Dead by Daylight and it would be fine. There are much better ways of fixing Jason than making an extremely overpowered glitch a real mechanic.

If you read below I said 'but seriously' and proceeded to list some actual issues. I was being sarcastic.

17 minutes ago, Nougat said:

If you read below I said 'but seriously' and proceeded to list some actual issues. I was being sarcastic.

Oh I'm sorry about that. I had a knee-jerk reaction. Here, take this hot girl gif as consolation.

078.gif

• Thanks 1

I voted bugs. But I think that hit detection, trolling and a slow car that dosen't always spawn as a four seater on maps it's hard to escape from Jason in the first place are also bringing the game down. Performance issues are also a big problem too.