Kodiak

Community poll: Biggest concerns with current patch

Gameplay community poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest issue with the game in terms of gameplay in it's current state?

• Jason is overpowered
    • Counselors are overpowered
    • Counselor perks are imbalanced
    • Perks are too difficult/easy to get (RNG problems)
    • It is too easy to escape
    • It is too difficult to escape
    • There are too many items on the maps
    • There are too few items on the maps
    • Chain-stunning Jason/trapping is my biggest issue
    • Jason has too much trouble against groups of counselors
    • There are too many issues with collision detection (weapons hitting thin air, vehicles crashing on pebbles, etc.)
    • There are too many game-breaking glitches
    • Emote trolling
    • The maps are unfair and favor either Jason or the counselors
    • Other (explain below for your vote to be counted)

Car rubberbanding 

How was this left in last patch? ...jeez , fix already 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I think "chain stunning" and "Jason having difficulty with groups" kind of go hand in hand. You don't often see one without the other. I voted for group trouble because that is the root of chain stunning.

This right here should be the PSA of the forums. Yeah sure, knives/weapons hitting random things is annoying, but that's one of the things that could potentially be improved with the new game engine popping up soon. And even then, random collisions means nothing when there has been core issues like Jason having no way of dealing with mobs.

First off, buff Jason's health substantially so that high strength counselors are necessary for the team to stand a single chance of demasking him. Next, make his combat stance:

• Less buggy.
  • More responsive blocking.
  • Have new attacks that gives him a means of crowd control depending on the weapon.

Jason being able to deal with mobs would breathe so much life into the game. Although it would also help if Jason was stunned for less time as he continues to be stunned within a game, making it so that eventually Jason will become tougher as the match goes on.

Frames where the Jason player has no control but is still vulnerable to stuns, leading to chain stuns, leading to Jason's issues vs groups.

Overall hit detection, including Jason being able to hit multiple counselors at once, which would help the Jason vs groups issue.

Bugs and glitches, especially those where the player can't move or interact correctly.

• Like 1

Biggest issues for me are combat issues like hit detection, Jason's inability to fight a competent group, and Jason's vulnerability during certain stuns.

After that I'd say the next biggest issues are map balance. Small maps favour counselors too much while Jarvis House and Pinehurst is basically a game over for all counselors unless they're in a party. Then you have individual character balance, mainly part 7 being woefully underpowered and the speed meta characters being too powerful while stealth/composure characters get too few benefits from those stats.

• Like 1

Hit detection and the fact that Jason still gets his ass kicked by groups of counselors, ala chain stunning. Those are the biggest problems this game currently has.

• Like 1

I voted for collision detection, as weapons for both jason and counsellors clip too easily and cancel your hit, and the car is still wonky (sometimes it will crash if you just scrape the side of a fencepost, and other times you can run directly into the fence post without crashing).

That said, @Kodiak the worst glitch by far is the car rubber banding (driver being slingshotted back to the car after exiting). It is literally game breaking for me as it happens every time I drive. I'm not being overdramatic... every. time. It happens to friends and randoms too, but for some reason I cannot drive without it happening since the last patch.

Thank you for taking the time to ask us and to check in with the community. Please remember that although Jason needs a way to pushback groups temporarily (un-damaging), many people like to complain about Jason not being able to deal with groups when really it is them who can't deal. A smart Jason can take down groups.  All I ask is that you keep that in mind, thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, I've been lurking for some time but finally got the time to register in. I have to say my piece. I am a Jason main and I do say that I do not mind when counselor players play the game honestly and stun me as a last resort to escape me. What I DO MIND is large groups sticking around to troll me exploiting the constant non-stop stun locks. I Voted for the "Trouble with groups" but the underlining issue that makes the issues with the groups are the constant stun locks that they abuse. Blocking does nothing either because Jason will block in stance and suddenly go out of it and I have to repeat the buttons which gives them plenty of time to knock him down. For someone as powerful as Jason, he shouldn't be knocked on his ass every 5 seconds like a pansy flower by Tiffany with a cooking pot. Fix this gold mine for trolls exploit!

I must put in, the animation glitches where Jason is interrupted while holding the counselor and the counselor is left in that floating choking animation making them float around like a ghost, please don't ever fix that. That glitch brings too many smiles from everyone witnessing it.

• Haha 1

It's a sad state of affairs when the one option based on the technical side of the game (collision detection) isn't running away with the poll.L 

Literally half the issues on this poll are issues that can be ascribed to player ability or behavior.  That's not an idictment of @Kodiak's ability to build a poll, he's clearly basing the options on the most oft-filed complaints online for the current build (even if most of those complaints are dubious at best).  Collision Detection is the only thing on this list that is a technical fix that isn't an emotional plea or biased opinion that can be laid at the feet of the individual player experience.

There's definitely options on that poll that I feel require redress, but only one that I can say with certainty is an undisputed fact.  That's what I chose.

• Like 1

I voted other.

If you need the reason why, you need to look no further than this thread -

Killing Jason with minimal / no combat required

This is the state the game has reached. Jason kill speedruns with low risk / low effort. This should be your biggest concern right now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I voted other as I don't see "The Sacred Branch is OP" listed. Jk. Seriously though I went with other as people have mentioned games not finishing via connection issues or host quitting. The rubber band one I try to avoid like the plague and talk others into driving.  

If not for those I'd say hit detection.  

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

I voted other.

This is the state the game has reached. Jason kill speedruns with low risk / low effort. This should be your biggest concern right now.

Fuck.

Yeah, that needs to be fixed. Under no circumstances should Jason be easy to kill.

Jason needs stun immunity for 4 seconds to be able to kill counselors. Fix hit detection, it’s terrible for both sides. 

Just bring back Jason 'abducting counselors' by grabbing them and shifting away. Not much a group can do in that situation. Unintended bug or not, that would make groups more afraid.

But seriously, hit detection, car rubber banding and groups of counselors are my main issues.

47 minutes ago, Nougat said:

Just bring back Jason 'abducting counselors' by grabbing them and shifting away. Not much a group can do in that situation. Unintended bug or not, that would make groups more afraid.

But seriously, hit detection, car rubber banding and groups of counselors are my main issues.

Hell no. That bug was stupid. It completely negated the struggle mechanic because Jason could fly to an environmental kill spot before they had half a chance to get out. And don't give me that "it was balanced because pocket knives would make Jason fall through the map and die" BS.

This game is supposed to be representative of the films and nowhere in the films did Jason grab someone and fly through the air at 50mph. Give that ability to someone in Dead by Daylight and it would be fine. There are much better ways of fixing Jason than making an extremely overpowered glitch a real mechanic.

8 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

I voted other.

Wow, and here I was doing it the "hard" way of chasing a Jason fleeing once the mask off.  Seem easy to coach someone with 1/2 a brain as well.  Not your intentions, but I'm going to start implanting this to see what results I get.  I hope Gun final buff Jason's HP, I always though it was too low.

7 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

Wow, and here I was doing it the "hard" way of chasing a Jason fleeing once the mask off.  Seem easy to coach someone with 1/2 a brain as well.  Not your intentions, but I'm going to start implanting this to see what results I get.  I hope Gun final buff Jason's HP, I always though it was too low.

Ah yes, the fabled oceanman. Most Jasons now go directly into water once they feel endangered (though I have still demasked in water if they venture too close to shore). Don't feel bad for doing this, it is Gun's fault they made mask HP ridiculously low. Maybe this will change their ways once every Jason is getting killed in the first 4 mins (currently the record).

13 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

Give Jason his HP and toughness from the NES game. 

• Like 1

You know it starts becoming bad when people are trying to avoid cars most of the time now like as if they are the plague, especially if they don't have a pocket knife.

I'd rather wait out the timer than risk the car rubber band.

10 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Most Jasons now go directly into water once they feel endangered (though I have still demasked in water if they venture too close to shore).

I've actually had a kill with a Jason in the waters.  Mask was off already, and he fled to the seas.  We spent a good 3-4 mins mocking him and he was teasing us by poking just the head out then going back to full submission.  I then decided "fuck it" and when I saw the top of Jason's head, I activated sweater, SC into overhead swing and nailed him.  Tommy was quick and got the kill off.  We all laughed our asses off.

4 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

I've actually had a kill with a Jason in the waters.  Mask was off already, and he fled to the seas.  We spent a good 3-4 mins mocking him and he was teasing us by poking just the head out then going back to full submission.  I then decided "fuck it" and when I was the top of Jason's head, I activated sweater, CS into overhead swing and nailed him.  Tommy was quick and got the kill off.  We all laughed our asses off.

Good work! :lol:

I have yet to get the ocean kill, they will do anything to prevent being killed right now basically. They morph to the very edge of the map in water a lot of the time.

I did get this one though. If you use sweater as they Shift, they are able to be kneeled whenever you feel like it.

Thanks to those who are partaking in the poll, hopefully many more will vote too!

@Bropollocreed79 indeed a lot of the behavior can be attributed to players, but the question is how prevalent is this problematic behavior? Is it such an issue that it's the community's biggest concern? This poll is just to see what issues people view as the worst.

My biggest issue is also getting ganged up on by counselors. I've learned how to deal with them but it's not an enjoyable part of the game for me; I find it takes away from the power fantasy I have when I play Jason, and that's the thing that's most fun about playing him - feeling powerful and unstoppable. When you're recovering from a stun just to have some daft teenager waiting to whack you with a baseball bat, it takes away from the fun. Counselors are kids, so why are they able to beat on an immortal killer with frickin' wrenches, pipes and bats?

Let me provide some examples of why killing groups can be simply irritating rather than being fun. Let's assume we have a group of counselors who are sticking together like glue.

#1 - Counselors group up together. They know the range they can stand near Jason where he can't hit them. They surround him so he risks getting attacked from all sides, and he can't move fast enough to actually close the gap. Their stamina remains really high because they just keep jogging to keep that optimal range. So, what do you do here? Move on to the second bit.

#2 - Jason collects and starts using knives to get rid of them. No problem for them though, they could have anything from 1 to 6 first aid spray uses in their inventory. Even 2 first aid spray uses (medic perk or 2 sprays) will deplete at least 6 knives to get a counselor in to a limping state, and that's assuming every knife hits. At this point, knives remaining on the map are few and far between. Move on to #3.

#3 - Direct combat. At this point, the group of counselors is starting to get really annoying. I'll use a Jason with +weapon strength for this scenario. So, you've used a dozen or so knives and there's still a group of counselors coming for you. You decide it's time to put that +weapon strength to the test and go on a direct combat offensive. What happens here? Two things: either they keep jogging just outside of range like in example #1, or they see you blocking and stop attacking so their weapons don't break. So you're there using combat mode trying to keep up with them and they still jog out of your range. You toggle off combat mode to close some distance and someone comes up to whack you in the back or side. Experienced counselors know when Jason is blocking that he moves really slowly; so slowly you don't even have to worry about your stamina running out. Move on to #4.

#4 - Stalk-shifting. This is one of the only viable methods to take out these kinds of players as they don't see it coming. If they're out in the open, you have a high chance of getting an easy shift grab, but then you have to contend with knives and their nearby team mates, so grabbing becomes difficult to use. Only other option is stalk-shift stabbing, where instead of grabbing whilst shifting you attempt to attack them. Easy to land a few hits, but whilst you're waiting for shift and stalk to recharge again, you're back in example #3.

So to summarize, Jason can be controlled very easily if counselors do the following things:

1. Stick together closely.
  2. Use the medic perk and have a first aid spray (which there always seems to be plenty of).
  3. Dodge knives when he starts throwing them.
  4. Don't attack Jason whilst he has combat stance up so your weapons don't break.
  5. If he's not nearby, then he's going to be stalking and likely shifting at you. Just simply get into a cabin together so the only way in is through the front door, and obviously immediately into someone else's stun..

I haven't encountered a group of counselors who were so good that I couldn't stop them, but I guarantee that if I had a few counselors under my lead we could easily put all these points I've just mentioned into practice. How does Jason defeat you when he can't grab kill any of you (due to nearby counselors and pocket knives), can't kill you with knives (because there aren't enough on the map to kill counselors through multiple first aid sprays) and can't beat you in direct combat because there's just too many people swarming around? He takes 1 missed swing and immediately 4 counselors run up and start whacking him, and then he's down on the ground to be chain stunned or chain trapped.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

My biggest issue is also getting ganged up on by counselors.

To your point, it's very frustrating when QP games (private players usually don't do this) ultimately end up with the cops called, and there's a LONG standoff at the gate where the cops are stationed.

The cops arrive, Jason tries to cut them off at the exit, and there's Chad and Vanessa -- running in circles, not escaping, chain-stunning Jason, then dancing and T-bagging him repeatedly.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Like @Bropollocreed79, I am hoping the tweaked hit detection will help this scenario to diminish and make Jason much more of a force to be reckoned with. A hulking, undead killing machine should never be bullied by a guy with a sweater tied around his shoulders. 

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow had some EXCELLENT suggestions for adjustments which would help this to happen.

But -- baby steps. PLEASE, let's fix hit detection first, then go from there.