Sign in to follow this  
deathsia

An addition to the "fear mechanic"

In addition to higher fear causing counsilors to use more stamina to sprint and regain less fast, a third effect would take place ONLY when the player is within 10 or more meters of Jason if their fear is Maxxed out.

If the counsilor continues to remain within this range of Jason for 30 or more seconds they will be "frozen in fear" what this does is prevent them from striking at Jason becuase they are so terrified of him at the moment that they can't lift their weapon aginst him. This debuff remains in effect for 10 seconds regardless of their distance to Jason.(this is to prevent players from running in and out of the debuff proximity)

Once the effect ends, the counsilor must stay out this 10meter range until they can at least see their mini-map(it doesn't even have to be fully faded in) or they will be hit with the debuff again instantly.

All non-malee items can still be used while under the "Frozen In Fear" effect. (Flare guns can still be used)

Tommy Jarvis is immune to this effect.

The also effect disappears the moment a player uses the sweater on Jason.

This suggested addition to the fear mechanic should make Jason more intimidating and make bullying Jason a thing of the past!

• Like 3

That's actually a great idea! It's been a while I've seen ideas like these.

@GunMedia_Ben Look at this!

• Like 2

This is honestly a bad idea. This will simply remove any means of counselors defenses and will impact anyone within the proximity regardless if they are in a cabin or out and will also remove any ability to rescue people that were grabbed by jason or even impact the whole killing him.

Jason is already powerful enough as it is, all this would to is add another useless feature and cause more people to complain. They better fix the current issues to the best of their extent before attempting to add anything or should i say break anything new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I don't like this idea. You're giving a free kill to Jason. It is not a measure of skill when the game just hands you victory on a silver platter.

Now that I think about it, this would make +Fear Jasons like the Savini Bros. overpowered.

11 hours ago, deathsia said:

In addition to higher fear causing counsilors to use more stamina to sprint and regain less fast, a third effect would take place ONLY when the player is within 10 or more meters of Jason if their fear is Maxxed out.

If the counsilor continues to remain within this range of Jason for 30 or more seconds they will be "frozen in fear" what this does is prevent them from striking at Jason becuase they are so terrified of him at the moment that they can't lift their weapon aginst him. This debuff remains in effect for 10 seconds regardless of their distance to Jason.(this is to prevent players from running in and out of the debuff proximity)

Once the effect ends, the counsilor must stay out this 10meter range until they can at least see their mini-map(it doesn't even have to be fully faded in) or they will be hit with the debuff again instantly.

All non-malee items can still be used while under the "Frozen In Fear" effect. (Flare guns can still be used)

This suggested addition to the fear mechanic should make Jason more intimidating and make bullying Jason a thing of the past!

I like the basics of the idea.... but I have to agree with @VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow here. The frozen in fear stun is too much and just handing out free kills.
   I had a similar idea once that I thought of when I read someone's post about hysterical strength to explain why Tiffany shouldn't have a problem stunning Jason. Hysterical strength is a thing in real life, hysterical accuracy is not and never will be a thing. My idea would just replace your 'frozen in fear' idea with a hysterical accuracy penalty to hit detection (with all weapons)  for the counselor. This should begin with a small, say 1% at 50% fear (or thereabout) and rise 1% for every %point above 50% fear.

#End Chain Stunning Now      #Resist the Battle Chads

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

My idea would just replace your 'frozen in fear' idea with a hysterical accuracy penalty to hit detection (with all weapons)  for the counselor.

But that would mean that with melee weapons a counselor's character model would clip through Jason and yet not register as a hit. The community would immediately enact backlash against it, including me. I can see having a shaking reticle for the guns being ok to a small degree but applying it to melee weapons would not be a good idea in my opinion.

How about a "fumble" mechanic? At high fear rates, Jason has a small chance to force a counselor to drop whatever is in their right hand(gas, battery, weapon). It would be small, no more than say 10% at max fear. It would be like an "icing on the cake" kind of feature; it doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it changes the direction of the gameplay.

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

But that would mean that with melee weapons a counselor's character model would clip through Jason and yet not register as a hit. The community would immediately enact backlash against it, including me. I can see having a shaking reticle for the guns being ok to a small degree but applying it to melee weapons would not be a good idea in my opinion.

How about a "fumble" mechanic? At high fear rates, Jason has a small chance to force a counselor to drop whatever is in their right hand(gas, battery, weapon). It would be small, no more than say 10% at max fear. It would be like an "icing on the cake" kind of feature; it doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it changes the direction of the gameplay.

It would sure stop the Jason bullying dead in its tracks though. I know a lot of people would be against it. But its still only a flip of a coin to see if you hit with a swing at max fear level. How long is anyone really at max fear level? When under half fear... no penalty. At 75% it is still only 1/4 of your swings that would not hit. High composure counselors would do better at facing Jason (if composure worked as advertised) and luck would not be the most powerful stat with a weapon anymore. Just think of it.... people that hate Jenny would suddenly love her. How could anyone hate Jenny anyway, she has a great..... summer house. Great idea to add to a hard mode though. I would play it. 
    I like the fumble mechanic you suggest as well. 10% is nothing though, 20% maybe.... I know we cannot go to crazy with anything like this, but how many times a minute does the chance get checked to see if it is dropped? Once a minute... at 10% you might drop it once in a ten minute chase with Jason behind you, maybe.... twice but that would happen less than finding a second pocket knife these days. Three times, well... it could happen. Over ten minutes, 10% is hardly noticeable and barely worth adding. 
    How about the same as the  chance to stumble? Perhaps a 50/50 chance to just stumble or drop weapon and not stumble or maybe stumble or drop weapon and stumble? Then we could call it the Stumble Fumble mechanic.
    I was just trying to make use of fear. As it grows, so does the penalty.... making fear management something people actually have to consider. The fear mechanic is hidden because no one would show any fear in this or any other game on that level (jump scares aside). I like the idea and how the mechanic works, but there could be more to it without making it game breaking.
    Still..... just throwing ideas around can get interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Ahab said:

It would sure stop the Jason bullying dead in its tracks though.

It would be the most improper way to stop gang assaults. Instead of giving Jason a "free pass" on a melee attack against him, just improve Jason's own combat ability.

5 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I like the fumble mechanic you suggest as well. 10% is nothing though, 20% maybe.... I know we cannot go to crazy with anything like this, but how many times a minute does the chance get checked to see if it is dropped? Once a minute... at 10% you might drop it once in a ten minute chase with Jason behind you, maybe.... twice but that would happen less than finding a second pocket knife these days. Three times, well... it could happen. Over ten minutes, 10% is hardly noticeable and barely worth adding. 
    How about the same as the  chance to stumble? Perhaps a 50/50 chance to just stumble or drop weapon and not stumble or maybe stumble or drop weapon and stumble? Then we could call it the Stumble Fumble mechanic.

I initially thought it would be tied to Jason's melee attacks. With each attack there would be like a 10% chance to make the person drop their item, but it could be tied to the stumble chance instead, or as well. If stumbling actually had a big detriment like dropping your items, anti-stumble and anti-fear perks would become more valuable. If it were tied to stumbling then it would roll the dice on each occurrence of stumbling to drop the item.

10 hours ago, Ahab said:

It would sure stop the Jason bullying dead in its tracks though. I know a lot of people would be against it. But its still only a flip of a coin to see if you hit with a swing at max fear level. How long is anyone really at max fear level? When under half fear... no penalty. At 75% it is still only 1/4 of your swings that would not hit. High composure counselors would do better at facing Jason (if composure worked as advertised) and luck would not be the most powerful stat with a weapon anymore. Just think of it.... people that hate Jenny would suddenly love her. How could anyone hate Jenny anyway, she has a great..... summer house. 

Depends on their composure...sure Jenny can stay around Jason for seemingly forever and not lose her mini map. I’ve had rounds as Jenny where Jason was on my tail for half the round and I still never lost my mini map. But once Jenny loses her mini map it is very hard to get it back. The higher the composure the longer it takes to get into full fear but it is also harder for them to calm down their fear. Chad, Tiffany, and Vanessa will lose their mini map easily and panic easily but once they get out of Jason’s range they will regain their bravery in seconds. 

Seems a bit OP Doesn't it?

This would pretty much Render Chad Jobless, Buggzy Jobless and Any other Body Guard/Fighter Completely useless.

I do like the idea of making adjustments to fear, but like others have said, I'm not sure the frozen thing would go down well. People would feel cheated. 

Okay so how about this:

In addition to higher fear causing counselors to use more stamina to sprint and regain less fast, a third effect would take place ONLY when the player is within 10 or more meters of Jason if their fear is Maxed out.

Once the effect ends, the counselor gains a 10-20 second immunity to the effect(Based on their composure stat) and must stay out this 10meter range until they can at least see their mini-map(it doesn't even have to be fully faded in) or they will be hit with the debuff again instantly once their immunity ends.

Striking Jason with a melee weapon during this immunity period will grant the counselor a bonus amount of bravery(based on composure stat) once which will prevent them from being struck with the debuff instantly once the immunity ends.

---------------

Better?

13 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It would be the most improper way to stop gang assaults. Instead of giving Jason a "free pass" on a melee attack against him, just improve Jason's own combat ability.

I initially thought it would be tied to Jason's melee attacks. With each attack there would be like a 10% chance to make the person drop their item, but it could be tied to the stumble chance instead, or as well. If stumbling actually had a big detriment like dropping your items, anti-stumble and anti-fear perks would become more valuable. If it were tied to stumbling then it would roll the dice on each occurrence of stumbling to drop the item.

I am not looking for a free pass, just throwing ideas about. Any idea can lead another set of eyes to an idea that works, or is just plain better than the initial thought. Just two people throwing ideas back and forth already modified the original idea into the 'stumble fumble'. Tieing the fumble to Jason's attacks also makes sense to me and 10% would work well with that. Perhaps even an extra 2% per hit they take.... maybe. I am liking the 'stumble fumble' though. The name almost makes it sound fun to lose your weapon.
   @JennyMyers1984 I have read a couple of threads about how composure is broken. I am hoping they get around to fixing it. Perhaps with the engine upgrade..... but we will probably have to wait longer than that. The upgrade sounds like a huge undertaking, but when it is finished, I am sure they will get around to fixing the bugs and issues that the upgrade does not fix.
   @deathsia only preventing the counselor from striking is far less crippling than you original idea. The immunity to the effect afterwards helps to make the idea easier to deal with. As does the bravery bonus, it is a good idea for a buff here as well to counter the initial penalty. The 'Oh crap... I can't attack anymore!' feeling would certainly drive home the fact that a hidden fear mechanic is required for a reason.
    Balance is important. Combat does seem totally unbalanced when little Tiffany can stun Jason, but the enormous psychopath cannot stun her back. But there is more to it than that.... Jason can kill Tiffany.... Tiffany cannot kill Jason, ever.... Tommy has to do it (but cannot do it alone), though Tiffany may be involved in the attempt in a few different ways. Finding balance is the most difficult thing about this game.... I am in favor of continuing to throw ideas around. In the end, it is up to the game developers what (if any) ideas they will use. But an idea can lead to a better idea...which can lead to other ideas... which lead to incredible ideas for totally unrelated mechanics... or just improvements to the original idea. Its always better to have as many eyes looking at an issue as possible. Different perspectives can find issues with an idea that the creator did not think of.
    #Think Tanks Work
    I am pretty sure fear at higher levels does make stamina regenerate slower, but don't quote me on that. Perhaps adding in the shaking reticle making aiming more difficult with higher fear as VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow suggested.