VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

Night Time Light Redone [Poll & Pictures]

Night Time Redone  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the variants do you like best?

• Original, don't change the outdoor lighting.
    • Variant 1, Realism, Darkest
    • Variant 2, Alan Wake Style, Medium
    • Variant 3, Skyrim Style, Brightest

I think the night time in the game looks too much like an overcast morning. I think the lighting system needs to be retooled to make it spookier. I played around with a screenshot to make it look more like real night time without simply making it darker. Which one do you like best?

Original:

cVB7Zzq.jpg

Variant 1: (Realism)

TNruLEx.jpg

Variant 2: (Alan Wake Style)

Be18qX5.jpg

Variant 3: (Skyrim Style)

h7zgiDF.jpg

• Thanks 2

No doubt, Variant 1. It would make the Sense ability and Flashlights more useful.

Variant 1 looks the best. 
   You know you can just tinker with brightness, contrast and gamma to get the in game lighting you desire. Just sayin'.
   Some games are made too dark in the name of dramatic effect, others are simply too bright. Some people play in a room where they can easily control the lighting and others play in a room with full sunlight obscuring their view of darkened screens for many hours in the day. It is important to be able to see what is going on in the game, but playing with the settings either on your monitor or in the settings on your computer or console (or both) can create a different atmosphere. If the devs made the game too dark, there would be some people that did not even know they could make the game brighter in the suggested ways (or even how to do it for that matter). This could be game breaking for some. 
   Anyone wishing to 'retool' the lighting system is free to play with it however they see fit. Playing in a darkened game could create more of a challenge, forcing you to use your flashlight more just to see (it would be more realistic). Jason and other counselors can see your flashlight at quite the distance if you are not behind a hill or building from their point of view.

They all work pretty good.

I think the main problem is all the maps have too much power light to begin with. None of the films had that sort of brightness to them even with the power on. Sure, some films had moonlight but even with that moonlight came pitch black darkness.

The reality is most people would probably try to counter it by turning gamma all the way up, but at least if the maps were made darker for everybody, it would be more realistic.

I almost wish all the maps started off with no power, which include no power to any of the lights.

• Like 1

Initially I thought I liked the "Realistic" version, but then I decided I liked the "Medium" version. To me it looks like Alan Wake. The lighting in that game had a lot of stark contrast and desaturated colors that made the setting very spooky without being too dark to see anything.

I've suggested in the past that there should be moon phases and fog as part of the weather variations of the maps, with full moon being where it is now, and new moon being vastly darker.

20 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

I've suggested in the past that there should be moon phases and fog as part of the weather variations of the maps, with full moon being where it is now, and new moon being vastly darker.

That's interesting. Just having it get darker as the game progresses. I think that would make it "scarier".

Just now, Truth said:

That's interesting. Just having it get darker as the game progresses. I think that would make it "scarier".

I like that too.  Moody!

it also bothers me a lot how bright the nights are. im pretty sure even full moon isnt THIS bright. it feels like straight up daytime and i never have any reason to feel scared / tense / or like i have to use my flashlight at all.

also wish the colors were more consistent. i dislike how brown higgins haven is, i wish it was blueish like packanack or crystal lake. pretty sure it used to be like this in the alpha and beta too.

0:53 is a good comparison on what i mean.

1:22 is a great shot too. it may just be me, but i find it looks way better and more scary with a blueish darksh color scheme than the brightish brownish one we got now.

• Like 1

I chose variation 1, the darker. More realistic look would make this game truly terrifying to play as a counselor, and it would also make Jason a little more intimidating.

It would also make the flashlight a little bit more useful. As using the flashlight with the current lighting system is a death sentence(most of the times that is).

• Like 1

I like the background better in variant 1, but like the way Jason looks better in the original. Any way to darken the background without darkening Jason so much?

1 hour ago, jahzaveamanaie said:

also wish the colors were more consistent. i dislike how brown higgins haven is, i wish it was blueish like packanack or crystal lake. pretty sure it used to be like this in the alpha and beta too.

I'm with you. I definitely think the Alpha was superior, ambiance-wise.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:39 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Variant 3: (Skyrim Style)

h7zgiDF.jpg

I like the changing depth of shadow on variant three. The blues are a nice touch too, one thing I’d change is the hud is to pink needs more blood and less milk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I like the changing depth of shadow on variant three. The blues are a nice touch too, one thing I’d change is the hud is to pink needs more blood and less milk.

That is also my favorite!

• Like 1

Okay first of all where I live (Central Europe) you can read a book during the full moon in the middle of the night. Our cottage is situated in such a way, the moon shines directly into our windows at night and let me tell you, if you think the game now is too bright, you have not seen anything yet.

I think they just have to adjust the variants, like in the old DBD. When it's full moon, the game should be as it is now. However when it's cloudy, storm etc. everything should be much darker (Variant 1.).

I personally hate the nights in both Alan Wake and Skyrim so both of those variants are too stylized for me.

49 minutes ago, Survival said:

Okay first of all where I live (Central Europe) you can read a book during the full moon in the middle of the night. Our cottage is situated in such a way, the moon shines directly into our windows at night and let me tell you, if you think the game now is too bright, you have not seen anything yet.

I think they just have to adjust the variants, like in the old DBD. When it's full moon, the game should be as it is now. However when it's cloudy, storm etc. everything should be much darker (Variant 1.).

I personally hate the nights in both Alan Wake and Skyrim so both of those variants are too stylized for me.

Central Europe is closer in line with the moon than New Jersey. It gets more direct light because its more northern location.

My gripe with the regular light we have now is that it looks too saturated like it is an overcast day. The colors should be more muted and the blues and grays should be more present. Where I live a full moon with no clouds looks like a blue-gray filter over everything and darker than the game we have now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Central Europe is closer in line with the moon than New Jersey. It gets more direct light because its more northern location.

My gripe with the regular light we have now is that it looks too saturated like it is an overcast day. The colors should be more muted and the blues and grays should be more present. Where I live a full moon with no clouds looks like a blue-gray filter over everything and darker than the game we have now.

Oh I know how it works, I just wanted to point out that having such a bright moon is not that unrealistic :p.

I agree that the game looks washed out, but only on Packanack / Crystal Lake maps. Higgins, Jarvis and Pinehurst look pretty good to me. Jarvis looks washed out when it is not raining. Also small map variants are darker than the big ones.