He would need a fear indicator, the same as stamina. Players could learn more about the mechanics of preventing fear, reducing it, do certain activities and observe if the fear of our character is decreasing or not. Through high levels of fear, you play and escape from Jason difficult. 

By the way, the creators could describe what we can do to make the level of fear of our character decrease, not increase. 

I think keeping the fear mechanic shrouded a bit in mystery is kind of better though. We keep discovering new things about fear like standing under lamp posts and campfires. It's also much creepier when you don't know what level of fear you're at. One minute you think you're fine, but the next your map disappears and everything goes crazy.

37 minutes ago, Chetork said:

I think keeping the fear mechanic shrouded a bit in mystery is kind of better though. We keep discovering new things about fear like standing under lamp posts and campfires. It's also much creepier when you don't know what level of fear you're at. One minute you think you're fine, but the next your map disappears and everything goes crazy.

Ahhh, but u see your stamina in real life ? ;] Where is logic with stamina ? Stamina can be hide, if u want crazy gameplay ;) 

I would be cool to now what fear level you are at no doubt but I like how it is a mystery on what fear level you are at. It would be like a percentage at the bottom of the screen under the stamina bar.

I'd prefer that fear remain something of a mystery. It's always fun to learn new things, like how campfires can heavily reduce fear.

Though I have been able to track down some idea on how the different fear stages work:

1. Stage One: No fear, the counselor is completely at ease (despite the fact there's a violent serial murderer on the loose).
  2. Stage Two: The counselor's face shows nervousness. At this point they start looking around them, an indicator they're starting to build up fear.
  3. Stage Three: The counselor starts to panic. They will shriek outloud, and mutter to themselves if Jason is nearby while they occupy a hiding spot. The stumble penalty starts to kick in here, something you especially don't want if you're a counselor with 3 speed as well as whenever you're trying to fight Jason.
  4. Stage Four: Complete hysteria. Stumble penalty gets worse, the counselor begins to suffer stamina regeneration penalties, and the screen darkens. You also lose the mini-map which makes it more difficult to dodge Jason's Shift-Grab/Shift-Slash combos unless you're equipped with the "Nerves of Steel" perk.

Edit: Also, Rydog did manage to time how long it roughly took for the original counselors to completely freak out:

Fear Gain

Here is approximately how long it takes for each counselor to develop full Fear, when standing next to Jason Part 6 outdoors. Once Jason is gone, counselors slowly lose Fear until they have completely regained their Composure (i.e. a neutral stance with no visible panic). This takes longer for higher-Composure counselors, which seems to indicate that they simply have a deeper "Fear bucket" (for example, in my tests, it took Jenny 2:14 to regain full Composure, while it took Chad 0:35). This makes high Composure something of a double-edged sword.

• Composure 10 counselors (Jenny, Tommy) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 3:21.
  • Composure 7 counselors (A.J., Adam) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 1:45.
  • Composure 5 counselors (Deborah, Kenny) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 1:10.
  • Composure 4 counselors (Brandon, Eric) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:56.
  • Composure 3 counselors (Tiffany, Vanessa) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:51.
  • Composure 1 counselors (Chad) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:35.

Effective Break Points for Composure
  • GOOD: Composure 7-10 (zero Fear to invisible HUD in longer than 1:30 in Jason's vicinity)
  • AVERAGE: Composure 5-6 (zero Fear to invisible HUD between 1:00-1:30 in Jason's vicinity)
  • BAD: Composure 1-4 (zero Fear to invisible HUD in less than 1:00 in Jason's vicinity)

Considering that we now know there are other factors that can build up fear (e.g. being outside in the darkness without a light source), I'd say the times can roughly change, but otherwise they're mostly intact.

Edited by Trident77
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trident77 said:

I'd prefer that fear remain something of a mystery. It's always fun to learn new things, like how campfires can heavily reduce fear.

Though I have been able to track down some idea on how the different fear stages work:

1. Stage One: No fear, the counselor is completely at ease (despite the fact there's a violent serial murderer on the loose).
  2. Stage Two: The counselor's face shows nervousness. At this point they start looking around them, an indicator they're starting to build up fear.
  3. Stage Three: The counselor starts to panic. They will shriek outloud, and mutter to themselves if Jason is nearby while they occupy a hiding spot. The stumble penalty starts to kick in here, something you especially don't want if you're a counselor with 3 speed as well as whenever you're trying to fight Jason.
  4. Stage Four: Complete hysteria. Stumble penalty gets worse, the counselor begins to suffer stamina regeneration penalties, and the screen darkens. You also lose the mini-map which makes it more difficult to dodge Jason's Shift-Grab/Shift-Slash combos unless you're equipped with the "Nerves of Steel" perk.

Edit: Also, Rydog did manage to time how long it roughly took for the original counselors to completely freak out:

Fear Gain

Here is approximately how long it takes for each counselor to develop full Fear, when standing next to Jason Part 6 outdoors. Once Jason is gone, counselors slowly lose Fear until they have completely regained their Composure (i.e. a neutral stance with no visible panic). This takes longer for higher-Composure counselors, which seems to indicate that they simply have a deeper "Fear bucket" (for example, in my tests, it took Jenny 2:14 to regain full Composure, while it took Chad 0:35). This makes high Composure something of a double-edged sword.

• Composure 10 counselors (Jenny, Tommy) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 3:21.
  • Composure 7 counselors (A.J., Adam) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 1:45.
  • Composure 5 counselors (Deborah, Kenny) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 1:10.
  • Composure 4 counselors (Brandon, Eric) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:56.
  • Composure 3 counselors (Tiffany, Vanessa) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:51.
  • Composure 1 counselors (Chad) go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD in 0:35.

Effective Break Points for Composure
  • GOOD: Composure 7-10 (zero Fear to invisible HUD in longer than 1:30 in Jason's vicinity)
  • AVERAGE: Composure 5-6 (zero Fear to invisible HUD between 1:00-1:30 in Jason's vicinity)
  • BAD: Composure 1-4 (zero Fear to invisible HUD in less than 1:00 in Jason's vicinity)

Considering that we now know there are other factors that can build up fear (e.g. being outside in the darkness without a light source), I'd say the times can roughly change, but otherwise they're mostly intact.

Also give me files on how to implement this in the game. 

15 minutes ago, blablabla said:

Also give me files on how to implement this in the game. 

If you intend to mess about with the game's code, then read section 2a of the EULA:

"(a) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, you may not: (i) remove any proprietary notices from any copy of the Software; (ii) cause, permit or authorize the modification, creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the Software"

There will be no transfer of such files allowed on these forums, and if you decide to tamper with the game then you're violating the EULA. Everyone knows what can happen if you violate the EULA..

On 2/26/2018 at 2:25 AM, blablabla said:

He would need a fear indicator, the same as stamina. Players could learn more about the mechanics of preventing fear, reducing it, do certain activities and observe if the fear of our character is decreasing or not. Through high levels of fear, you play and escape from Jason difficult. 

By the way, the creators could describe what we can do to make the level of fear of our character decrease, not increase. 

things that make you lose fear:

being with people

being indoors

being where the lights are on

being with high hp, the more hp you lose the more fear you gain

having a weapon

being far from jason

doing things slowly

making things quietly

how to know your fear by the tiers:

(note: every tier you get the stam recharge gets lower)

tier 1 your face is normal: ('-') 

tier 2 your stam recharge starts to slowdown: ('-')

tier 3 you begin to slightely move your head: ('-'#'-')

tier 4 you begin to move your head harder: ('-' )#( '-')

tier 5 your eyes get bigger: (°-°)

tier 6 your eyes start to alternate bigger to smaller: (°-°)('-')(°-°)

tier 7 you open yout mouth and make fear position with your arms: <(°o°)>

tier 8 your mouth alternate from big to small with your eyes: <('o')><(°0°)><('o')>

tier 9 screen gets gray: *gray*<('o')><(°0°)><('o')>

tier 10 screen shakes: *gray*<('o')><(°0°)><('o')>*shake*

if you want to do some fancy stealth juke you better be tier 4 or lower or jason wll notice you

i think we need hp indicator just like we have fear to indicate. the tiers could be distingued by the amount of blood on the counselor. 

8 hours ago, Carlso said:

things that make you lose fear:

being with people

being indoors

being where the lights are on

being with high hp, the more hp you lose the more fear you gain

having a weapon

being far from jason

doing things slowly

making things quietly

how to know your fear by the tiers:

(note: every tier you get the stam recharge gets lower)

tier 1 your face is normal: ('-') 

tier 2 your stam recharge starts to slowdown: ('-')

tier 3 you begin to slightely move your head: ('-'#'-')

tier 4 you begin to move your head harder: ('-' )#( '-')

tier 5 your eyes get bigger: (°-°)

tier 6 your eyes start to alternate bigger to smaller: (°-°)('-')(°-°)

tier 7 you open yout mouth and make fear position with your arms: <(°o°)>

tier 8 your mouth alternate from big to small with your eyes: <('o')><(°0°)><('o')>

tier 9 screen gets gray: *gray*<('o')><(°0°)><('o')>

tier 10 screen shakes: *gray*<('o')><(°0°)><('o')>*shake*

if you want to do some fancy stealth juke you better be tier 4 or lower or jason wll notice you

i think we need hp indicator just like we have fear to indicate. the tiers could be distingued by the amount of blood on the counselor. 

You know this is a two year old thread right? Also, you can already judge fear level by looking at the counselor/screen. Damage too...

12 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

You know this is a two year old thread right? Also, you can already judge fear level by looking at the counselor/screen. Damage too...

ammm, i dont think i was awnsering you so...