Tommy86

This is what you're hitting instead of your target

You guys may have read my posts on invisible collision boxes before. I decided to revisit this topic recently and post some footage I've collected. There is more, including indoors and specifically beds which have giant hitboxes that can significantly affect combat.

I was going to delay this post until I had more footage from other maps but I may as well just post it now. It takes time to collect this data so if you guys are up for it, you can help bring this issue to light by just testing out the maps yourselves. It is quite concerning to say the least, and affects counselors just as much as Jason.

Note: even when there is no sound to identify the hit, the swing animation and early throwing knife indicator will show that your weapon has collided with something.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

@Tommy86

That's fucked up.

Is it the same for counselors?

Thanks for posting this. I thought some of the stuff I encountered was random or I was doing something wrong. I wonder if this issue is known?

1 minute ago, bewareofbears said:

@Tommy86

That's fucked up.

Is it the same for counselors?

Thanks for posting this. I thought some of the stuff I encountered was random or I was doing something wrong. I wonder if this issue is known?

Yeah it's the same for counselors. I agree, it is pretty fucked up. I don't know for sure whether it's being worked on or not, or how much.

1 minute ago, Tommy86 said:

Yeah it's the same for counselors. I agree, it is pretty fucked up. I don't know for sure whether it's being worked on or not, or how much.

Explains a lot. Combat is incredibly awkward in this game and this basically confirms it's broken.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Explains a lot. Combat is incredibly awkward in this game and this basically confirms it's broken.

It can interfere with combat to an extent, yes. But I wouldn't call it broken. It's only on certain spots on the maps, unfortunately it may very well be the spot you're fighting on.

Have a counselor stand on the opposite side of the camp fire and throw a knife at them. See if that works.

6 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

It can interfere with combat to an extent, yes. But I wouldn't call it broken. It's only on certain spots on the maps, unfortunately it may very well be the spot you're fighting on.

If you play enough, it gets you enough. I've had kills lost (including jason kills) on that main road in higgins because my bat clipped on something invisible. Now I know.

PS: Thanks a bunch for posting this!

8 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

If you play enough, it gets you enough. I've had kills lost (including jason kills) on that main road in higgins because my bat clipped on something invisible. Now I know.

I've spoken with other players about this and the theory is that it may be leftover hitboxes from deleted map design elements. Because it really makes no sense at all why those boxes should be there, particularly in the middle of the road. There are invisible walls at cabins to stop cars blocking the entrances, but it doesn't explain the distances some of these boxes are at.

@Loading it doesn't work. Like I said I would've liked to post this with more footage, but this will do for now to let everyone know about the issue. More can be added later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

I'd say broken when it's coupled with the other issues facing combat but we don't need to argue semantics. It's an issue and will hopefully be addressed.

3 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I'd say broken when it's coupled with the other issues facing combat but we don't need to argue semantics. It's an issue and will hopefully be addressed.

From what I've heard it's something they're working on but like I said I can't say for sure. Certainly explains some hit detection issues (though there may be other reasons too).

So this is why sometimes I throw a hatchet at a survivor and it hits some random speck of dust instead? 

The explains why flares sometimes shoot off at weird angles. Ive already stated before in other thread but one of the worse offenders with some of this is campsites. Its seems the hitboxes for tent,logs, and the fire itself are WAY too big, with the fire being so high you cant throw a knife over it.

Didnt know about the abundance in the middle of the road, but I can say the ones by doorways can be felt ALOT.

6 hours ago, Loading said:

Have a counselor stand on the opposite side of the camp fire and throw a knife at them. See if that works.

It definitely gets stuck above the fire. I've seen it before and just tested it to confirm.

4 hours ago, Prons said:

So this is why sometimes I throw a hatchet at a survivor and it hits some random speck of dust instead? 

Yes. A big issue in particular are tree branches.

7 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

You guys may have read my posts on invisible collision boxes before. I decided to revisit this topic recently and post some footage I've collected. There is more, including indoors and specifically beds which have giant hitboxes that can significantly affect combat.

I was going to delay this post until I had more footage from other maps but I may as well just post it now. It takes time to collect this data so if you guys are up for it, you can help bring this issue to light by just testing out the maps yourselves. It is quite concerning to say the least, and affects counselors just as much as Jason.

Note: even when there is no sound to identify the hit, the swing animation and early throwing knife indicator will show that your weapon has collided with something.

Yep Defenently broken, this explains why everytime I combat stance a door, the weapon will just bounce of it.

Could be hit boxes left over from deleted map's, and if it is. Then that needs fixed ASAP.

This is pretty ridiculous tbh. 8 months in and the hit boxes are still broken.<_<

Had a few instances with this happening tonight. I have had these things happen a lot but even more so recently.

• Like 2

Most buggy ass game ever.  Ridiculous.  They should have delayed release for a YEAR anyways 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 8:53 AM, Rev_Bartholomew said:

Yep Defenently broken, this explains why everytime I combat stance a door, the weapon will just bounce of it.

Could be hit boxes left over from deleted map's, and if it is. Then that needs fixed ASAP.

This is pretty ridiculous tbh. 8 months in and the hit boxes are still broken.<_<

Check out the video i posted on this page, my weapons don't bounce off of doors, they just go through them without indicating contact or damage

1 minute ago, DrLeatherface said:

Geezus. The bullshit with this game never ends ? 

Ya it seems there is always something.