deathbat96777

Religious Study Group

What makes something a concept and what makes something a truth? What's the difference and is there a definitive, absolute standard for what one or the other is, or is it up to one's own private interpretation?

13 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

If you follow through with your belief then your not a hypocrite, so you've gained a small measure of respect in my eyes. However you are playing the game enables people to commit a sin, so you should think about how that works with your very specific world view.

It's actually not too difficult thinking about how it would work with my world view. Let me give an example: I play Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition), and I'm usually the DM (the guy who sets up the scenario for the players to go through). My sessions have always been the classic "good vs evil" type, so I'm not against the idea of using creatures like demons, liches, etc. to challenge the players. However, this doesn't mean I worship/support such things, rather these enemies are stereotypical evil-doers that can present a challenge to the players I'm hosting the game for, so as a result the party feels like they made the world a safer place when they successfully defeat them (considering I don't wipe them out).

I also loved reading the Harry Potter series when I was younger, yet I was able to understand that the series wasn't promoting witchcraft/sorcery. It was just a fictional storyline which also used concepts like friendship, love, teamwork, etc.; things that Christianity would support.

Dunno, TBH I wonder if refusing to play Jason on the basis of it being a "murder simulator" is really no better than the people who burned Harry Potter books because "it promoted witchcraft." I suppose that, at the end of the day, the average person playing as Jason Voorhees isn't doing so to get their fix of pretend murder, they're just playing a video game, or even just acting out the role of an antagonist so the other players have fun playing as the protagonists. I'll have to think more carefully on this matter, although I'll still keep my preference on counselor since I like the survival challenge more.

@deathbat96777 Your question is very complicated. I'll definitely need some time to gather my thoughts on that one.

13 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

What makes something a concept and what makes something a truth? What's the difference and is there a definitive, absolute standard for what one or the other is, or is it up to one's own private interpretation?

Truths are proven, like C. C is absolute, it is the maximum speed anything can travel. Conceptual abstractions are up to interpretation ie. good and evil. 

Some People are just too religious... Pokemon are Demons... they believe Evolution... They believe Science! Let them burn!

But seriously there was one guy who had one son....who believed science... he got run over by a car and hadn´t been sad and just thought : That´s how it is Folks! Science equals Devil! He had to die!

Yeah , I am not kidding.

I go pretty regularly to church but some of These people are just stupid.

Isn´t this Gif appropiate in any way?

I would appreciate it if you would articulate things above a third grade level and have at least a smidgen of respect for the other people posting here. Not everyone who is religious is insane like Carrie White's mother in the movie Carrie and asks you to go in a closet and repent while she beats you over the head with a crucifix. I think it's important to know that hateful atheists and Christians who find the devil in everything from cheesecake to board games are far and few inbetween, but because of how biased media is and how it feeds off stirring controversy to draw in viewers, that's all the general public gets to see, sadly. It pigeon holes entire groups and allows you to miss out on the fact that so many people practice a wide plethora of beliefs in a variety of beneficial ways that actually help society. Not every Christian thinks exactly the same or believes exactly the same and every person of whatever religion or lack thereof will have their own ways of practicing it or interpreting it. Keep that in mind and don't allow yourself to assume that the minority that gets portrayed on TV like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Christian Science movement, etc, represents the majority. 

Thanks,

deathbat 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

On this point I would say what we start with are facts. Singular realities that aren't anything more than they are; each is a piece of something. 

A concept is what would develop based on a collection of facts, the concept is something that may be different from any one individual. The problem with any given concept is can be skewed by facts that are missing or only partially understood, or created with bias and have certain facts intentionally omitted. A concept acts as a truth while the truth is not know. And, they are useful.

Truth is the sum of the facts and exists irrelevant of being known or not and does not depend on the facts to be the truth.

Take for example a man accused of a crime. The evidence, or facts, are used to create the concept of guilt and the man is subsequently sentenced to life. Some decades later he is found to be innocent, by way of new facts, and released. The truth is that he was innocent. He was always innocent, and that was always truth regardless of everything else. 

6 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Some People are just too religious... Pokemon are Demons... they believe Evolution... They believe Science! Let them burn!

To this point, this applies to everyone regardless of their faith if any at all. 

Judging is something everyone has done. Using external factors to create the facade of being virtuous or superior is something everyone has done. We will always see this from people. 

Key is to know, no matter how maddening it can be, we ourselves aren't any better. 

16 hours ago, DasMurich said:

On this point I would say what we start with are facts. Singular realities that aren't anything more than they are; each is a piece of something. 

A concept is what would develop based on a collection of facts, the concept is something that may be different from any one individual. The problem with any given concept is can be skewed by facts that are missing or only partially understood, or created with bias and have certain facts intentionally omitted. A concept acts as a truth while the truth is not know. And, they are useful.

Truth is the sum of the facts and exists irrelevant of being known or not and does not depend on the facts to be the truth.

Take for example a man accused of a crime. The evidence, or facts, are used to create the concept of guilt and the man is subsequently sentenced to life. Some decades later he is found to be innocent, by way of new facts, and released. The truth is that he was innocent. He was always innocent, and that was always truth regardless of everything else. 

To this point, this applies to everyone regardless of their faith if any at all. 

Judging is something everyone has done. Using external factors to create the facade of being virtuous or superior is something everyone has done. We will always see this from people. 

Key is to know, no matter how maddening it can be, we ourselves aren't any better. 

Yeah.... nobody is really a throughout good Person.... but some People are just ,,meaner´´ than others in varying degrees.

For those of you that are believers, what are your opinions on tattoos and what do you think of the verses in Leviticus that supposedly condemn them? Were they talking in context of marking yourself for the dead in ritual, or was it meant to be taken in a broader sense to mean no tattoos at all? Does this still apply today? 

With tattoos, I think of it more of a historical thing in regards to the Israelites needing to separate themselves from the pagan rituals that were occurring back then. Getting your body marked back then was associated with worshipping false idols.

Today, I believe that whether a tattoo is a sin or not depends on if the tattoo in question will damage your self-conscious and relationship with God.

I plan to get a few tattoos. A Wu tang clan symbol dipped in ice cream, a Slytherin tattoo, and the One Ring.

I want to get "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" across my left forearm, "Never stop Praying" on my right wrist, the Mandalorian emblem from Star Wars on my bicep and the Avengers logo on the other. 

I was born Roman Catholic. From 2001-2007 I was interested in Islam but felt more comfortable with Christianity. During 2008, I went to a few of my father's Greek Orthodox services, as I felt guilty when I left Catholic Church I decided to identify as Greek Orthodox. Since then, I haven't officially converted but I choose to identify as Greek Orthodox as I don't like leaving service feeling worse than when I went in.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, deathbat96777 said:

For those of you that are believers, what are your opinions on tattoos and what do you think of the verses in Leviticus that supposedly condemn them? Were they talking in context of marking yourself for the dead in ritual, or was it meant to be taken in a broader sense to mean no tattoos at all? Does this still apply today? 

A lot of the Old Testament contains ideologies that are dubious at best, and Leviticus is a prime example.  I mean, can anyone honestly read 25:44-46 and not interpret it as anything less than an explicit endorsement of slavery? 

I think we can all agree that the concept is abhorrent, and for me, there's a wealth of objectionable material, like stoning blasphemers, burning prostitutes who are the daughters of priests to death, killing homosexuals....

Passages with laws that are directly contravened by the teachings of Christ in the New Testament are effective, to me, as more of a window into the daily lives and cultural mores of the folks who lived when it was written; providing context and insight--literal interpretation has too many logistical flaws to be considered reliant, especially in light of later teachings.  

My opinion is that the Old Testament law was symbolic of the fact that we can never live up to God's standards and can never save ourselves. God never intended for us to achieve reconciliation to him through works, it was a stepping stone to Christ. With that being said, I think a lot of that (the old law) no longer applies. The best meter to detect whether this still applies theologically or not is Jesus Christ. If he didn't talk about it or bring it up, then it's likely not something we have to follow anymore, and if Christ didn't talk about it and it's a rule, law, etc. that we are still required to follow, then it was probably shoe horned in by Paul or an apostle in an epistle by a later divine revelation. There's different types of Old Testament laws. Civil, moral, and ceremonial. A lot of things such as not having tattoos represent purity, and things like that are no longer relevant because we don't have to meet ritual purity requirements, sacrifice animals, etc, because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice and he was the fulfillment of the law. I believe in the doctrine of imputed righteousness which states that when God sees us, he sees Jesus. Not literally, but in the sense that His blood covers our sins and we are hidden behind him. We have his righteousness, not our own, because we can never be good enough and can never perfectly follow the rules. With tattoos, I think in the context of the Old Testament, it was forbidden because it was a form of self mutilation and not artistic expression. They would've cut themselves with rocks, stones, etc, and it was done to appease other gods/idols. Whenever we get tattoos now, it serves a different purpose, it's safer, and it's with a needle, not gashing yourself with a rock.

It was to show them love and win them over to Christ. Jesus didn't condone slavery, but he did want those who believed in him to make the most of it and make it a witnessing opportunity.