anon

How do you save people from a grab

Seeing how their changing the grab it got me wondering how exactly do you save someone when they get grabbed by jason sometimes the hit registers and sometimes it doesnt it seems the wrench is the best weapon for saving people when they get grabbed has anyone figured this out?

Hit Jason himself and not the person he has in his hand :) If you hit the counselor he's holding, he won't drop them. Good Jason players use it to their advantage as they will actively turn and position a counselor in a grab in between the attacker and Jason. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Hit Jason himself and not the person he has in his hand :) If you hit the counselor he's holding, he won't drop them. Good Jason players use it to their advantage as they will actively turn and position a counselor in a grab in between the attacker and Jason. 

I know that but is there like a wait period were hits dont register? Sometimes it doesnt seem to affect him at all

There is for a moment whilst he's picking the counselor up. Until they're at eye level and Jason is able to move, he can't be interrupted. 

19 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

There is for a moment whilst he's picking the counselor up. Until they're at eye level and Jason is able to move, he can't be interrupted. 

Yeah no, that's the time period you have to hit him and save them as the second he can move you are getting insta choked, there are no invul frames during grab the game will just occasionally fuck up and decide you hit a dust particle on his shoulder and not jason, definitely don't avoid hitting him during the initial raise as that's shit advice  

8 minutes ago, RampageRhino said:

Yeah no, that's the time period you have to hit him and save them as the second he can move you are getting insta choked, there are no invul frames during grab the game will just occasionally fuck up and decide you hit a dust particle on his shoulder and not jason, definitely don't avoid hitting him during the initial raise as that's shit advice  

Not how it's seemed for the duration that I've played. It's always been the moment that he can move, the counselor can be freed but there is a period where hitting him will do nothing. I'm level 121 on Steam with about 380 hours of play so I think I'd know if it wasn't the case. I've been whacked in the back by multiple people whilst lifting someone and not dropped who's in the grab, plus I always have great success when I wait to save someone from Jason's grab rather than whacking him early.

8 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Not how it's seemed for the duration that I've played. It's always been the moment that he can move, the counselor can be freed but there is a period where hitting him will do nothing. I'm level 121 on Steam with about 380 hours of play so I think I'd know if it wasn't the case. I've been whacked in the back by multiple people whilst lifting someone and not dropped who's in the grab, plus I always have great success when I wait to save someone from Jason's grab rather than whacking him early.

f13 level? in that case im higher, regardless as that literally has no meaning, here you go

Let the amount of people you let die by idling standing there watching them get lifted sink in

Looks to me like they're at eye level, like I said they were. That's pretty much the moment he's able to start moving, or is about to. Also, they don't die - if you read what I typed, you'll see I said that I wait a few seconds and then swing. I don't let them get killed, it just works better.

Just now, Kodiak said:

Looks to me like they're at eye level, like I said they were. That's pretty much the moment he's able to start moving, or is about to.

the animation still hasn't finished as he still can't move, you also apparently missed the deb getting grabbed and the immediate save by buggzy

If dodgy hit detection is the case then so be it, there's never been any kind of official statement about it. It's always seemed to me that hitting Jason too soon won't save people from grabs and waiting a moment before hitting him will. 

Alright fair enough, if I'm wrong then I'll admit I'm wrong :) But I don't let people die and I've only said give it a moment before you hit him, I didn't say 'let him start walking around first'. From my experience it's always been hitting him a little bit later always works and whacking him too soon doesn't. Bear in mind though that a couple of isolated examples you've provided might not necessarily represent what happens the majority of the time.

58 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Alright fair enough, if I'm wrong then I'll admit I'm wrong

Don't give up so easily! He didn't even post good examples.

But unfortunately this Pappiss fanboy is right.

You can knock a counselor loose pretty much instantly. 

Here's a cleaner looking example.

You can see Adam starting to swing before Jason starts the grab animation on Tiffany. Jason connects with the grab and 7 frames later Adam's ax connects with Jason's back. Jason didn't even begin to raise Tiffany up before she got freed. 

When Jason pulls someone out of a car you need to wait for the right moment to strike or nothing will happen. For general grabs you seem to be able to attack at any moment but the hit detection will often screw you over even if you're directly behind Jason.

Yeah just be careful on the time windows of animation to hit a counselor and be careful of a good Jason holding a counselor in front of your weapon to block your attempt.

It takes a while but eventually you'll get used to the animation windows.

This is Chad: :chadwut:Chad is a selfish elitist dick who will allow his co-workers to die so that he can escape.

Be like Chad.  Be a dick and look out for #1.

• Haha 2

@WashingtonJones its hard to find clips from anyone else of this stuff as they tend to run away from jason and never have a weapon in hand, two videos completely proving my point is hardly a bad example either especially with 3 examples all at different stages of the animation, I couldn't gather any primary evidence either as everyone I knew didn't want to test it as they said it's such a simple mechanic that he has no invul frames on grab that everyone knows it.

1 hour ago, WashingtonJones said:

But unfortunately this Pappiss fanboy is right.

Hmmm. 

• Haha 1

@RampageRhino they weren't wrong, but they weren't good examples.

With Deb you can barely see what's going on.

And he lifts LaChappa up enough to where I could see Kodiak (or whoever) say that he was at eye-level or whatever position he "needs" be at. 

The minute I read Kodiak's reply I thought of a mob beat down video, and that he might never have seen one or played against decent counselors or in the heat of the battle he might not fully realize what's actually happening. 

36 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Hmmm. 

What? Isn't it pronounced Pappiss and not Pappoose?

Why can't you guys be a good-boy gang? I bet he'd be able to get more views and subscribers if he didn't blatantly cheat or exploit. Save those for experimenting or to quickly show off to another player, but don't use them in play. It turns too many people off. 

Why don't you guys help him reformat his gimmick so he can turn this into a proper living? You guys are so good at figuring out how to hack shit...why don't you figure out how to work a video editing program to help add a little more production value to his guides?

Your group is probably the most knowledgeable about the game. It's a shame that you can't resist taking advantage of the coding and showing it off to people. Like I said, no sense for production value. Few people care what's going on under the hood; they care mostly how fast it goes and how shiny the paint is. If you focus your "engineering" skills in that direction, maybe there will be some money to be made.

@WashingtonJones No idea what you're talking about really. I just find it interesting you're so curious about his techniques, yet openly criticize him without hesitation.

• Haha 2

Just gotta run up and smash Jason before he starts his kill frames, as long as you hit Jason before that (and your weapon must actually CONNECT) you will free them. At least for all I know, and who really cares about the Pappus club? They know their shit, some of them use it for bad things, not all. I don't like that shit either, but people do what they do. If they get caught and banned for it,  justice is served I guess. But, as long as they use that knowledge for honorable gameplay then cool. You're always gonna have some that pervert knowledge, and spread it to others. It sucks, but that's just some people I guess. Not All, but some.

Wait so its the hit detection that fucks me over? why can lachappa being the butterball he is save people but when i swing jason eats the bat and kills the person he grabbed.

11 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

When Jason pulls someone out of a car you need to wait for the right moment to strike or nothing will happen. For general grabs you seem to be able to attack at any moment but the hit detection will often screw you over even if you're directly behind Jason.

I think that might be what I was thinking of actually :) Think I got confused between the invulnerability from the car window grab and the normal grab.

9 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

The minute I read Kodiak's reply I thought of a mob beat down video, and that he might never have seen one or played against decent counselors or in the heat of the battle he might not fully realize what's actually happening. 

Oh I've played against people who've ganged up on me, was battling 5 of them last night outside the barn at Higgins :) I'm not usually the victim of a mobbing, or if I am then it's me standing there with my guard up to break their weapons.

13 hours ago, RampageRhino said:

f13 level? in that case im higher, regardless as that literally has no meaning, here you go

Let the amount of people you let die by idling standing there watching them get lifted sink in

Wow I didn't know you can run while blocking? How exactly do you do that?