ShiftySamurai

Friday the 13th: The Game - Grab Animation Update

Every month, there's something new to love about this game. Bravo. Is this an April drop or something sooner?

I like the more realistic momentum.  It would be cool if Jason could slam someone into a wall or other object before killing them off of jog and grab momentum.

34 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

For those wondering what a stinger is, here is an existing one from the game as captured by a random YouTuber. 

This is NOT the one used for the grab animation change:

Will the stinger happened every time Jason grabs you? 

3 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

In the last update we reworked the area and distance of Jason’s grab, and now the improved grab animation makes them look more powerful as well.

So there are no changes to grab range/cone, it's exactly the same but looks and sounds better? Just to clarify.

Looks awesome, huge improvement. 

I like the idea of the sound stinger, but thinking about situations where I grab a counselor, then another one hits me with a low stun weapon so that I drop the grabbed counselor but remain unstunned and am immediately able to grab again, I'd hope that the sound wouldn't play every time you grab, as in those kinds of scenarios it would get played out quickly. 

Maybe if it only played the sound the first time you grab each individual counselor that would work best, as there are times where Jason will be grabbing, dropping counselor when someone hits with machete, grabbing again, dropping again, and so on... and if there's some piercing sound every single time a grab occurs, that could become obnoxious and detract more than it adds. Hopefully it's implemented well though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

For those wondering what a stinger is, here is an existing one from the game as captured by a random YouTuber. 

Ah, cool. I figured it was going to be a musical cue, but wasn't 100% certain.

Sweeeet! :) 

21 minutes ago, FunMonster said:

So there are no changes to grab range/cone, it's exactly the same but looks and sounds better? Just to clarify.

That is my understanding.

20 minutes ago, tinysquirrel said:

Looks awesome, huge improvement. 

I like the idea of the sound stinger, but thinking about situations where I grab a counselor, then another one hits me with a low stun weapon so that I drop the grabbed counselor but remain unstunned and am immediately able to grab again, I'd hope that the sound wouldn't play every time you grab, as in those kinds of scenarios it would get played out quickly. 

Maybe if it only played the sound the first time you grab each individual counselor that would work best, as there are times where Jason will be grabbing, dropping counselor when someone hits with machete, grabbing again, dropping again, and so on... and if there's some piercing sound every single time a grab occurs, that could become obnoxious and detract more than it adds. Hopefully it's implemented well though. 

This is a good question, but unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to answer it yet.

Looks good. Jason looks more vicious and its amazing what an impact on the senses a jarring sound like that has. Might man counselors panic more. 

Since he is grabbing them in stride, after the grab is made can you continue traveling, or does he stop and stand still so that you have to start walking again after the grab? 

Is this going to be done for melee strikes while on the run?

45 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

They don't have to tho it could be in the control settings. 

They do though. Again, things change.

4 hours ago, tinysquirrel said:

4 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

This is a good question, but unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to answer it yet.

You could tie it to stalk so that it mostly or only plays when grabbing someone out of the blue when the music is silent.

7 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Every month, there's something new to love about this game. Bravo. Is this an April drop or something sooner?

Only April

9 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

Hopefully the stinger for the grab isn't as intense as the dead body stingers, because that could get a little annoying. Something subtle, yet unnerving would be very effective!

Anyway, if something as small as the grab animation is being enhanced, I can't wait to see what other little changes are coming with the update! Hopefully more OPTIONS for the lobbies! Looking forward to the upgrade!

its the little things that really make a game im glad to see youre still working on + adding those. also now please tell me you are changing the way rifles are carried to the 2 handed normal carry from the beta?

15 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

Indeed. I've been involved in radio for over 20 years (NO, I'm not old, dammit!!) and a "stinger," also known as a "shock stinger," is a sound effect intended to instill a moment of gravitas, or to reinforce the importance of the moment.

An example of one of history's most famous shock stingers is actually called, "Oh, The Humanity!" (but colloquially called "Dun-Dun-DUUUUN!"), and I'm certain you've heard it before.

Here it is:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

They do though. Again, things change.

Again things don't have to that's why I am making a "option" for those who like the old grab rather then the new grab it's all subjective between us both so why not let it be that?

12 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

Again things don't have to that's why I am making a "option" for those who like the old grab rather then the new grab it's all subjective between us both so why not let it be that?

You're suggesting setting a very dangerous precedent.

If they were to make the option to toggle between "Old Grab" and "New Grab" on your Jason settings, try to imagine the uproar that would come from the community about previous aspects of the game which have been changed over time, and people miss?

"I want the old window smash function option!"

"I want the old counselor traits option!"

"I want the multiple pocket knives and sprays option!"

. . . ad nauseam!

Allowing for one change to made as an option rather than simply replacing it would set a basis for doing so permanently. Imagine how BIG the game would become if changes  and updates were replaced with options? 

They're not going to keep "old grab vs. new grab," especially if the majority feels as though the new grab is superior. The only chance you have is IF the vast majority of players DO NOT like the new grab. In that case, they may choose to revert back to the original. But I can't ever seeing them offering "old vs. new" as an option. 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You're suggesting setting a very dangerous precedent.

If they were to make the option to toggle between "Old Grab" and "New Grab" on your Jason settings, try to imagine the uproar that would come from the community about previous aspects of the game which have been changed over time, and people miss?

"I want the old window smash function option!"

"I want the old counselor traits option!"

"I want the multiple pocket knives and sprays option!"

. . . ad nauseam!

Allowing for one change to made as an option rather than simply replacing it would set a basis for doing so permanently. Imagine how BIG the game would become if changes  and updates were replaced with options? 

They're not going to keep "old grab vs. new grab," especially if the majority feels as though the new grab is superior. The only chance you have is IF the vast majority of players DO NOT like the new grab. In that case, they may choose to revert back to the original. But I can't ever seeing them offering "old vs. new" as an option. 

Again its a mere suggestion for those who like old stuff ._.

Man, I am already imagining some very scary Shift and Stalk grabs happening with this, especially when you throw in the audio stinger as well.

• Haha 1

On one hand its great to see a new grab animation. On the other hand, with a grab like that, it shows why Grip Strength should carry a damage modifier just like weapon strength.

The counselors not getting hurt at all by something like that is completely laughable. Yet Jason can tumble over from baseball bats, pots, pans, etc.

tumblr_mhx7qwDb3N1s5w9a4o2_r1_250.gif

Welp, these hands aren't gonna catch themselves. I'd better brush up on momma's work. :JasonPt8: