I'm not a gamer at all, but I'm a big fan of the film series and I saw a bunch of YouTube videos of this game, and it looks like so much fun, so I'm looking to start. What do I need, equipment-wise? I'd be using my laptop and I have just installed Steam, but what kind of controllers or mics do you recommend? I'd prefer not to spend a bunch of money because I really see this as the only game I'd be playing.

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the forums. As far as equipment goes here is a list of the minimum system requirements and the recommended ones. You don't need an elite gaming comp to play this game, but it does put the strain on older vid cards and rigs with little RAM. If your laptop is fairly new, I think you will be able to run it with no problems. For the controller, I prefer the keyboard/mouse combination, but since you are not a gamer, this might not be comfortable for you. I would suggest a slim XBox or PS4 controller, due to the relative comfort and the intuitive button configuration. For the mic, it is really up to how much you are willing to spend. You can get a serviceable headset at Best Buy or Radio Shack for $5-10 U.S. I personally have an Astro wireless headset that cost me almost $300. So that decision is really up to you. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about playing the game. If I can't answer them, I will direct you to the people who can.

I hope you have a great time with the game. I really think it is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

First off, welcome to the forums. As far as equipment goes here is a list of the minimum system requirements and the recommended ones. You don't need an elite gaming comp to play this game, but it does put the strain on older vid cards and rigs with little RAM. If your laptop is fairly new, I think you will be able to run it with no problems. For the controller, I prefer the keyboard/mouse combination, but since you are not a gamer, this might not be comfortable for you. I would suggest a slim XBox or PS4 controller, due to the relative comfort and the intuitive button configuration. For the mic, it is really up to how much you are willing to spend. You can get a serviceable headset at Best Buy or Radio Shack for $5-10 U.S. I personally have an Astro wireless headset that cost me almost $300. So that decision is really up to you. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about playing the game. If I can't answer them, I will direct you to the people who can.

I hope you have a great time with the game. I really think it is a lot of fun.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums!

I hope Rexfellis' post can be some help for you.

If you do start playing the game, and you're interested in finding some players from here, I'd recommend taking a look in the Steam ID and Gamertag thread here. I feel that the game benefits from finding a good group of players to get regular games in with, so it's worth a browse through then and also posting your own Steam ID. There are also some groups around such as the Good Sportsmanship Club in General forum, if any of them catch your eye.

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/553-gamer-tags-for-f13/

Best wishes with everything.

• Like 2

It has been fun to watch the variety of backgrounds that have been drawn to the game. Welcome!

Hopefully the specs that Rex pointed you towards won't be too big of a jump for you. Also, definitely check out some of the resources Damon suggested. Finding a few players to guide you into the game, especially coming in as a non-gamer, can make your early experience a lot smoother. Of course lots of us are happy to answer questions and offer insight, and there are a few written guides around here, as well.

We look forward to seeing you around here, and in the game!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

I personally have an Astro wireless headset that cost me almost $300.

Really??! I use a mic'ed set of earbuds I ordered from China off eBay for a buck fifty!  ^_^  But hey, everyone can hear me perfectly!

BTW, welcome @stephendedalus! I, too, watched YouTube vids (and still do) before I bought the game. I highly recommend the gameplay videos of both Swiftor and Ohmwrecker. Also, I'm curious -- who's the dude in your profile pic?

11 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Really??! I use a mic'ed set of earbuds I ordered from China off eBay for a buck fifty!  ^_^  But hey, everyone can hear me perfectly!

Yeah, I went overboard with it because I can use the headset for the PC and XBox. My son uses the headset that came with the Xbox. My wife just thinks that we are both a couple of "gaming nerds". :lol:

I just hope that I gave @stephendedalus enough info so that he can start playing the game without breaking the bank. I know that gaming accessories can get really expensive, really fast.

On 2/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Cokeyskunk said:

Also, I'm curious -- who's the dude in your profile pic?

Why that'd be James Joyce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1