Most of this game is predicated upon fear.  Darkness is a main component to fear.  Make everything daytime and you've completed trashed a main component of this game.  Make it midafternoon and if you're a high stealth character with sense avoidance perks and Jason will never find you with sense outside.  

This is not a wah I hate change argument or wah your idea sucks argument.  This is a change that would have a major affect on gameplay and end up being a buff to counselors. 

I don't care about the atmospheric changes or how the movies are mostly in daylight or a lot of Jason kills are in daylight when it would negatively impact the entire experience and mechanics of the game.  Besides, this game plays nothing like the movies go a group of counselors are just lined up for the slaughter in the movies doing stupid oblivious things while Jason picks people off slowly one by one outside of view from the entire group - unlike the games opening intro. 

• Like 1

As many have said I would love to have a daytime map. I personally think being chased around the woods is just as creepy in the daytime as it is during the nighttime.

The fear system might have to be reworked because of it though as night helps with darkening screens in creating actual panic.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:40 PM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

They'd have to change how the fear mechanic works. If you're outside and Jason cuts the power, you wouldn't notice any difference unless you're paying close attention to the cabins, since the lamp posts wouldn't be turned on in the first place. Also flashlights would be superfluous because their primary purpose is to reduce fear accumulation. That wouldn't be nearly as necessary because your fear would only accumulate inside cabins when the lights are cut.

No mechanics need to be reworked simply because daylight exists. Honestly your example about flashlights is a strong argument, but I still feel it doesn't have much of a leg to stand to justify reworking the Fear mechanic. There is something called Dusk and Dawn which would favor the use of flash lights in the woods. Even if there was say, noon on a sunny day, you can still make the "woods" dark enough to warrant use of a flashlight but honestly the flash light is toggled to manage fear more than it is to manage visibility even on night time maps. So, using it during the day can mean more of a sense of security during the day to manage fear. The only reason to use a flash light to see is when the power is cut inside of a cabin, which, by your example is a completely plausible use case. I'd love to see a day time map option or perhaps is as time went on maps became brighter (simulating the sun rise).

5 minutes ago, Jubileet said:

I don't agree with this and honestly you do sound like you're being unreasonably stubborn on the idea.

Read my other posts. I'm merely pointing out how the current system works and what daylight would mean if it were introduced.

>>Fear accumulates in darkness.

>>Counselor is outside in the daytime.

>>Fear doesn't accumulate.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:55 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

So we're not going to get day maps. Fear accumulates in darkness. What sense would it make for Jason to cut the power and people get scared... if it's not dark?

Because it makes a loud noise and it is a fire hazard. 

26 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

Because it makes a loud noise and it is a fire hazard. 

You can't hear the power go out if you're more than 60ft away. And you want to add fire now? Kiss your FPS goodbye.

Not saying I don't want daytime, just informing that it would break logic to slap in daytime without adjusting the mechanics to fit it.

1 minute ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

You can't hear the power go out if you're more than 60ft away. And you want to add fire now? Kiss your FPS goodbye.

That was purely in jest. Sarcasm. I am with you. The game mechanics would be derailed.

52 minutes ago, Jubileet said:

No mechanics need to be reworked simply because daylight exists. Honestly your example about flashlights is a strong argument, but I still feel it doesn't have much of a leg to stand to justify reworking the Fear mechanic. There is something called Dusk and Dawn which would favor the use of flash lights in the woods. Even if there was say, noon on a sunny day, you can still make the "woods" dark enough to warrant use of a flashlight but honestly the flash light is toggled to manage fear more than it is to manage visibility even on night time maps. So, using it during the day can mean more of a sense of security during the day to manage fear. The only reason to use a flash light to see is when the power is cut inside of a cabin, which, by your example is a completely plausible use case. I'd love to see a day time map option or perhaps is as time went on maps became brighter (simulating the sun rise).

Even with a copious tree canopy, a flashlight would be utterly useless in the woods on a sunny day.  It's a scientific fact:

Direct Sunlight 32,000 to 100,000
Ambient Daylight 10,000 to 25,000
Overcast Daylight 1000
Sunset & Sunrise 400
Moonlight (Full moon) 1
Night (No moon) < 0.01
Hospital Theatre 1,000
Supermarket, Workshop, Sports Hall 750
Office, Show Rooms, Laboratories, Kitchens 500
Warehouse Loading Bays 300 to 400
School Classroom, University Lecture Hall 250
Lobbies, Public Corridors, Stairwells 200
Warehouse Aisles 100 to 200
Homes, Theatres 150
Family Living Room 50

Even generously giving an incandescent bulb (LEDs did not exist for consumer use in the 80's) a lux value of 200, Ambient daylight is still, at a minimum, 50 times MORE intense at the lower range of it's value.  You wouldn't even see an incandescent bulb in daylight unless you were looking directly into it.  It wouldn't illuminate a single thing.

It's the same reason lights in a home provide barely any benefit during the daytime in rooms with exterior windows (unless it's overcast), and are more effective at night, in the absence of the sun.  The light coming through the windows during the daytime is exponentially brighter than any artificial light source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Even with a copious tree canopy, a flashlight would be utterly useless in the woods on a sunny day.  It's a scientific fact:

Overcast Daylight 1000
Sunset & Sunrise 400
Moonlight (Full moon) 1
Night (No moon) < 0.01
Hospital Theatre 1,000
Homes, Theatres 150
Family Living Room 50

Even generously giving an incandescent bulb (LEDs did not exist for consumer use in the 80's) a lux value of 200, Ambient daylight is still, at a minimum, 50 times MORE intense at the lower range of it's value.  You wouldn't even see an incandescent bulb in daylight unless you were looking directly into it.  It wouldn't illuminate a single thing.

It's the same reason lights in a home provide barely any benefit during the daytime in rooms with exterior windows (unless it's overcast), and are more effective at night, in the absence of the sun.  The light coming through the windows during the daytime is exponentially brighter than any artificial light source.

Bingo!

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Bropollocreed79 said:

That makes no sense at all.

How could it be "dark" during the daytime?  That's like saying you can drain a lake but still use your boat on it.

giphy.gif

I think you explained why the daytime map idea would not work at all very well, and without any big words at all in any of the previous posts. All of which made the head exploding giff that much funnier to me!!

15 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Bingo!

It boggles my mind sometimes, and makes me fearful of the hands I'm leaving the world in when I retire: The Tide Pod Challenge Generation.  This isn't even debatable. 

I'm willing to have an open and honest discussion on something that can be open to interpretation, but light is empirical: it can be scientifically measured and quantified, leaving no room for debate.

9 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I think you explained why the daytime map idea would not work at all very well, and without any big words at all in any of the previous posts. All of which made the head exploding giff that much funnier to me!!

No joke, my boss looked across the hall and asked me why my face was purple and I had, "an apathetic look of disgust" on my face.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, J.J. said:

Because cutting the power would scare someone being chased regardless if it's day or night.

How exactly would cutting the power scare someone in a daytime map? No one has lights on. I can only think of three ways you would even know the power was cut under these circumstances. Being in the cabin when Jason smashes the electrical box on the cabin, seeing a smashed electrical box (including seeing Jason smash one from a distance), or trying to turn on a radio and nothing happens. Although that last one may not pose the right question to some and they would just keep trying to turn it on several times until they give up (somewhat reminiscent of bot tactics, but bots are more patient and don't give up on their tactics). The first two reasons make it fairly obvious even to people that don't pay much attention to their surroundings.
  If you want it to be brighter, simply turn up your gamma and or brightness, problem solved.
  No one should have to turn this one into a physics lesson to explain it, but applause to @Bropollocreed79 for the short and to the point lesson, including the luminescence chart. You need another head exploding giff on that one, just because of the need to explain it.

24 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

It boggles my mind sometimes, and makes me fearful of the hands I'm leaving the world in when I retire: The Tide Pod Challenge Generation.  This isn't even debatable. 

I'm willing to have an open and honest discussion on something that can be open to interpretation, but light is empirical: it can be scientifically measured and quantified, leaving no room for debate.

No joke, my boss looked across the hall and asked me why my face was purple and I had, "an apathetic look of disgust" on my face.

Hahahaha too funny. I fear where this generation is going to lead us and my 3 year old daughter too.

@Bropollocreed79 I get a good laugh out of some of your posts, that last one is a good example. I have to say thank you for having a good sense of humor. Some of the humor in these forums is much of the reason I keep reading here.
   P.S. I am still laughing at the context with that exploding head giff from earlier.

3 hours ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Overcast Daylight 1000
Sunset & Sunrise 400
Moonlight (Full moon) 1
Night (No moon) < 0.01
Hospital Theatre 1,000
Homes, Theatres 150
Family Living Room 50

Looking forward to your explanation of Aerosol Medsprays.

I'm all for daytime variants of maps.

I particularly would like a daytime version of Higgins. I don't have any great suggestions about how fear would work or be changed. I imagine being chased by Jason in the woods during the day would still cause quite a bit of fear, considering every player just saw someone murdered by his hand. I recognize things are less scary during the day but being isolated in the woods at anytime can be fear-inducing for some.

A possible way of adding daytime without tweaking fear would be for the sun to come up over the course of a 20 minute match. 

• Like 2

I have the feeling that day maps are going to be added in some maps of singleplayer, taking in account SP is like the beggining/middle of a movie, then it can make sense, there's no fear to raise bc nobody knows you're there.

1 minute ago, JasonLives86 said:

Funniest thing I've seen all day :lol:

Ever heard of Sledertubbies? If you haven't look it up, it's a pretty strange game, it's all horror and it's funny/scary at the same time. I played with my brother awhile back and he was scaring the crap out of me in that. 

Daytime maps would be nice due to a lot of Jason kills happening during the daytime but it wouldn’t function well with the fear mechanics. If they had to implement something then maybe the round starts off at dusk and ends at dawn.

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

I'm all for daytime variants of maps.

I particularly would like a daytime version of Higgins. I don't have any great suggestions about how fear would work or be changed. I imagine being chased by Jason in the woods during the day would still cause quite a bit of fear, considering every player just saw someone murdered by his hand. I recognize things are less scary during the day but being isolated in the woods at anytime can be fear-inducing for some.

A possible way of adding daytime without tweaking fear would be for the sun to come up over the course of a 20 minute match. 

Nice idea. Would work with the sun setting over the course of the match as well - in that fear levels are constantly becoming more intense as the match goes on.

• Thanks 1