On 2/19/2018 at 12:33 PM, TestedTwice said:

What is the best AI you've ever played against in a video game? You can't just bring up "best AI I've ever played against in a video game" and not tell us!

The Alien AI in Alien: Isolation. When it is in play it patrols at random. It reacts to noise and player actions. Later in the game your given a flamethrower that can drive it away for a few seconds. If you shoot it however it changes up it's tactics. It begins to lie in wait and circumvent your weapon. If you point the flamethrower in it's direction it reacts to it like it knows what it is. Because the Alien AI is so intelligent it makes the game that much more terrifying. It took four years to make this AI. It's the first thing I think about when Friday players complain about the bot AI or ask for an AI Jason. This stuff takes time to develop and if you play things fast and loose your getting a dumb AI.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

The Alien AI in Alien: Isolation. When it is in play it patrols at random. It reacts to noise and player actions. Later in the game your given a flamethrower that can drive it away for a few seconds. If you shoot it however it changes up it's tactics. It begins to lie in wait and circumvent your weapon. If you point the flamethrower in it's direction it reacts to it like it knows what it is. Because the Alien AI is so intelligent it makes the game that much more terrifying. It took four years to make this AI. It's the first thing I think about when Friday players complain about the bot AI or ask for an AI Jason. This stuff takes time to develop and if you play things fast and loose your getting a dumb AI.

I feel stupid for not realizing that based on your username. If the AI is really that great for that game, I may have to check it out. I love a good horror game!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 3:41 AM, Shadowslayer1008 said:

This is more a question to illfonic. Can you make the bots on hard mode for offline bots just a little bit smarter I mean hard bots is easy but can you add features like the air does not keep on running into a thing and not going anywhere make it a bit more challenging it is super easy as jason

This drives me nuts with the offline bots. Constantly jumping threw a window and then back out it. They practically run to you to kill them. The AI for offline bots needs a major upgrade. I understand why they haven't put an A.i. Jason in for rage quitters. He would end up becoming your friendly neighborhood Jason... jason . They will fix it eventually though. Everything takes time and it's a process. 

Yeah they need to seriously tighten up the AI. I hope that they won't be this absurdly stupid forever. 

On 2/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, BenWallace.3.Pistons said:

They used a program from the unreal engine website that does a lot of the work for them. Cost under a $100 I think. They didn't build the ai bots from the ground up. Just had to fine tune them a bit. Obviously its not up to the level the devs would like though.

This is a very old rumor that is 100% incorrect. The devs have said that they built their AI package from scratch and that they didn't use any third-party programs.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

Programming AI is long process. The best AI I ever played against in a video game took four years to create. The fact these bots are even up and running around doing things is a small miracle. They do need improvement but that kind of thing takes more then just snapping their fingers.

Yeah, exactly. When bots were announced I dreaded the worst and was pleasantly surprised at how very decent they were right out of the gate. The first update fine-tuned the AI even more and even though the bots still do retarded things sometimes I still enjoy playing against them very much and am looking forward to further improvements in the future.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:04 AM, Vaderspupil said:

I love how you can just wait for them at a window to jump right into your arms. LOL! :lol:

lol, you're so right. It's to the point at the moment that if a bot jumps out a window I don't even bother trying to chase them, I just saunter up to the window and wait for them to jump right back in...at least 70-80% of the time that's exactly what they do.  :)

On 2/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, Alien_Number_Six said:

The Alien AI in Alien: Isolation. When it is in play it patrols at random. 

According to a video game secrets Twitter post a couple years ago, one of the programmers admitted that there's actually 2 AI working in Alien:Isolation. 1 for the Alien that's listening for environmental sound/visual cues, and a master AI that knows exactly where you are at all times, and gives hints to the Alien.

Also, while there are a few scripted elements, for the most part the Alien is always rendered on each level, and even though it becomes wire frame when it goes in the vents, it still exists monitoring for sound cues and hints.

Bots are useless. Although if you want to eliminate the constant "seek and destroyed" kills, simply aim into a closet with a knife and hit the top of their head with it. It will take them out of the closet immediately.

I use bots to practice snap tosses and shift grabs. I still try to treat it like a live match just so that I don't fall into bad habits.

30 minutes ago, Loading said:

I use bots to practice snap tosses and shift grabs. I still try to treat it like a live match just so that I don't fall into bad habits.

But the bots run in a straight line...how is that good for practicing Shift grabs?

2 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

But the bots run in a straight line...how is that good for practicing Shift grabs?

The ideal lead space and direction out into grab, or slash, if you want a *naughty* ending tumblr_mwmcrewE1Y1r2ilsno1_500.gif

7 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

According to a video game secrets Twitter post a couple years ago, one of the programmers admitted that there's actually 2 AI working in Alien:Isolation. 1 for the Alien that's listening for environmental sound/visual cues, and a master AI that knows exactly where you are at all times, and gives hints to the Alien.

Also, while there are a few scripted elements, for the most part the Alien is always rendered on each level, and even though it becomes wire frame when it goes in the vents, it still exists monitoring for sound cues and hints.

Interesting. That game was brilliant, one of the best I've played in years. Shame it didn't sell enough to warrant a sequel or a vr version. 

Damn.  All this talk of ALIEN: ISOLATION makes me want to play it again.  It was the game I bought my Xbox One for, and it was an amazing game.  It truly was frightening, as well as exhilarating.

Which is why I'm disappointed.  Personally, I don't like the solo Jason game.  I'm the worst at playing Jason against humans, but never have a problem killing all counselors on the hard level of the solo game. Instead of a teaching tool, it really is just a way to upgrade quickly.   The real shame is that the Friday the 13th game doesn't have an AI Jason solo version of the game, because I enjoy being a counselor, and love the challenge of escaping.  I would even like to play multiplayer games with an AI Jason.  I know it's been said that it would really be hard to do, but it's obviously not impossible. I'm not saying devs could hash it out over a weekend, I know it would take time.  It's just my wish that it would be as good as ALIEN:ISOLATION.

I was actually in the middle of Isolation when F13 came out. I should go back and finish it up. Got it when it was on sale for 7.50.

Anyhoo, bot difficulty is being reworked for those that haven't seen the recent announcement about it. 

For anyone on the fence about Alien: Isolation I have to say that I have been playing the game for four years and it still manages to make the Alien do things I haven't seen it do before. For instance after running a certain path through a certain level with a high success rate one day I opened a door to find the Alien standing behind it. Totally shocked and suprised it took me out right then and there. Alien: Isolation is hands down one of the best games this generation.