Sign in to follow this  
JennyMyers1984

Marathon and Night Owl

I use marathon on most counselors with stamina below a 6 but is it really effective on low stamina counselors? Nobody would use lightfoot on Vanessa because her stealth is a 1 and it isn’t effective. Does the same hold true for a low stamina counselors and the perk marathon with somebody like Lachappa and Deborah? Or is it a perk that is only effective on high stamina counselors like Tiffany and Vanessa? I also have a 56% fear reduction night owl perk, does that help at all with sense avoidance? Because I’ve used it on Tiffany before and I saw somebody stream and I was in the match and I was actually not glowing red with the night owl perk equipped. I know it doesn’t clearly state that it helps with sense avoidance but does anybody know if it is as good as level headed or low profile?

I don't think even the epic perks can save the really low-rated counselors. Their percentage benefit just isn't high enough to offset the bottom-low ratings. I think they're best used as buffs to counselors who are already strong in their respective areas (i.e. Vanessa/Marathon). A few exceptions would be the perk in question. Epic Night Owl gives a 50+ fear reduction percentage with no penalty if you get the lucky roll. That's enough to give a noticeable boost to anyone who equips it. Same can't be said for epic Tinker/Vanessa. It's basically a waste of a perk spot with her as is Light Foot as you mentioned. I usually run epic Marathon/Swift Attacker/Thick Skinned with Vanessa and the results are very satisfying.

To your last question; not sure if Night Owl is as effective as Level-Headed or Low Profile, but lower fear raises the chance of sense avoidance, especially with characters who already score high in stealth.

Let's say you have 15% marathon. On a counselor with 5 stamina, their stamina pool would be the equivalent of 5.75. On a counselor with 9 Stamina(no counselor has 10 stamina yet), your stamina would be the equivalent of 10.35. On 5 stamina that is a 0.75 increase, on 9 stamina that is a 1.35 increase. You get much more for using Marathon on a high stamina counselor.

5 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

To your last question; not sure if Night Owl is as effective as Level-Headed or Low Profile, but lower fear raises the chance of sense avoidance, especially with characters who already score high in stealth.

Fear has no bearing on Sense detection, only the marking effect AFTER you've been detected. ;)

12 hours ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

I use marathon on most counselors with stamina below a 6 but is it really effective on low stamina counselors?

I wouldn't waste those perks on them. As general rule, I'd say only Perk stats of 5+. We all like to offset weaknesses, but in this game buffing middling and high stats tends to pay higher dividends.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Let's say you have 15% marathon. On a counselor with 5 stamina, their stamina pool would be the equivalent of 5.75. On a counselor with 9 Stamina(no counselor has 10 stamina yet), your stamina would be the equivalent of 10.35. On 5 stamina that is a 0.75 increase, on 9 stamina that is a 1.35 increase. You get much more for using Marathon on a high stamina counselor.

Good example here.

4 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Fear has no bearing on Sense detection, only the marking effect AFTER you've been detected. ;)

I wouldn't waste those perks on them. As general rule, I'd say only Perk stats of 5+. We all like to offset weaknesses, but in this game buffing middling and high stats tends to pay higher dividends.

Good example here.

No wonder I feel fast as shit when I put marathon on Tiffany.

9 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I'm honestly not sure what is more accurate.  I've been using Rydog's trusted guide and listed stamina based on his testing in point values, Tommy, having the highest, at 130 stamina.  If we equip a perfect marathon on Jenny, whom has 110 stamina based on this guide, her stamina would increase to that of Vanessa, which would be higher than a 5.75 stat.  I'm not saying this is correct, but I do feel a great buff to Jenny with marathon and reluctant to replace that with something like sucker punch.  If anyone can post TESTED information that is more accurate than Rydog, please do  :D.

Rydog's Counselor Stats: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938559619

@GeneiJin Maybe stamina does work the way the rydog guide says, but if so maybe the perk or stamina isn't working as advertised. I think the most accurate way to get a clear answer is to data mine the game files and see exactly how stamina works. Testing is nice but it can be inaccurate. Also, Rydog's guides are for when the game first released. The devs have since changed how some of the stats work.

I main Vanessa and I can say in my experience, when I use Kenny with Marathon, it sure as hell doesn't feel like I'm playing Vanessa.

Just now, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I main Vanessa and I can say in my experience, when I use Kenny with Marathon, it sure as hell doesn't feel like I'm playing Vanessa.

That what I'm feeling. I main both Vanessa and Jenny, and stamina is not quite equal, but Marathon does help Jenny.  I don't bother equipping Marathon with Vanessa, so I'm familiar with Vanessa without it.