Jump to content
Rexfellis

Updated: Ok, maybe just a few of the "decision makers" in my corporate office can suck 2-3 dicks tops. Not a whole bag.

Recommended Posts

This is just me going off. 99.9% of this forum won't give even less than a grain of shit about it. For those of you who don't have a clue who I am, or just don't care, I apologize. I'm just venting about real life crap, hence the post here in off-topic. 

I bit the bullet back in September and left my position, and my family, to go down to the Houston, TX area and assist with the Hurricane Harvey relief effort. It was 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week until we had power restored. When the project was finished, I came home and settled back into my previous job. Pretty laid back, 45-50 hours a week and a great environment to work in.

Today, I got an email to inform me that I am being transferred to a job in Chalmette, LA Monday. That means that I have to travel through New Orleans twice every day. On top of that, it is a tight schedule, which means that it will probably be 70+ hours a week. To make things worse, the reason I'm being transferred is because the job I will be doing has been mishandled by the dumbass that has been doing it for over 6 months. So, I am being sent as damage control so that my company is not kicked off the project. That's fine, I like a challenge. I'm not happy about the time I'll be missing with my family, but I know how corporations work.  I'm pretty good at what I do, so they want me to go put out the fires. Fair enough.

One small problem may come about because the Project Manager for my company is a guy that worked for me back in 2009. I was forced to fire him due to absenteeism. (He missed 48 days in less than a year). He is not technically going to be my boss, but he is the Project Manager, and he can make my life miserable if he so chooses. I'm happy that he has worked his way up to where he is today, but I have no clue whether or not he still holds a grudge against me. I guess time will tell.

Sorry about the waaaaaaay off topic post. I'm just a little pissed about the whole situation. Feel free to talk shit, slam me, or even play "My Heart Bleeds For You" on the world's smallest violin.  :lol:

/rant over

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude missed 48 days in a year...he'd be pretty damn unreasonable to take that one personally. Unless you get a whiff of shittiness off him, I wouldn't even bring it up.

If said whiff is present, sounds like a first-week-there, bar after work situation: 'So, you seem pissed off I axed you for missing 48 days of work way back when. I'm not sorry for doing what had to be done, but it wasn't personal then and you really don't want to make it personal now. We good, or not?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that's a tough spot, man. Hopefully things will play your way. How long is the project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's the project lead isn't he the reason the Project is off the rails. Sounds like that guy might be the weak link especially with his past. If that guy gets fired again and you're present at the time grow eyes in the back of your head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Dude missed 48 days in a year...he'd be pretty damn unreasonable to take that one personally. Unless you get a whiff of shittiness off him, I wouldn't even bring it up.

If said whiff is present, sounds like a first-week-there, bar after work situation: 'So, you seem pissed off I axed you for missing 48 days of work way back when. I'm not sorry for doing what had to be done, but it wasn't personal then and you really don't want to make it personal now. We good, or not?'

I'm going in with no preconceived notions. It's been 9 years, it looks like he may have turned everything around. If not, I'll deal with it when the time comes. 

7 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I know that's a tough spot, man. Hopefully things will play your way. How long is the project?

Year and a half. I don't mind where I will be working (other than the drive through Nola). I like what I do, and I do pretty well under pressure. I just don't want to be working 7 days a week for 18 months. Maybe after a few months, we can catch up and the pace will slow down a bit. My kid is in first grade and Cub Scouts. I don't plan on missing out on that. We'll just have to see how it goes when I get there.

7 hours ago, Brigadius said:

If he's the project lead isn't he the reason the Project is off the rails. Sounds like that guy might be the weak link especially with his past. If that guy gets fired again and you're present at the time grow eyes in the back of your head. 

I'll know more by the end of next week. All I have been told is that production is a couple of months behind schedule, and we need to find a way to play catch up. If he gets fired again while I am there I'm pretty sure I will have made an enemy for life. Even though his future is not in my hands. With my current job description, I can't fire anyone except for QC inspectors. And, from what I hear, they are doing their jobs, they are just not being given enough to inspect. My job will be to try to turn that around.

I'm not going to lie, I am pretty salty about this decision. Of course, they pulled the "We need somebody we can trust for this." line that I learned my first day of supervisor's class back in the day. If there had been an option, I would have turned it down. Unfortunately it wasn't "Will you go to Chalmette?" it was "You will report to Chalmette Monday morning at 6 a.m.for on-site orientation." I'm just glad they didn't tell me in person because when I am pissed off, the filter between my brain and my mouth tends to malfunction on a regular basis. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At my job,i've had to take over on different chores due to the first assigned person messing it up,so i know what that's like.Half the time,they come to me first now,so they can get it done right the first time.Still,it can be a pain,so i sympathize.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

This is just me going off. 99.9% of this forum won't give even less than a grain of shit about it. For those of you who don't have a clue who I am, or just don't care, I apologize. I'm just venting about real life crap, hence the post here in off-topic. 

I bit the bullet back in September and left my position, and my family, to go down to the Houston, TX area and assist with the Hurricane Harvey relief effort. It was 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week until we had power restored. When the project was finished, I came home and settled back into my previous job. Pretty laid back, 45-50 hours a week and a great environment to work in.

Today, I got an email to inform me that I am being transferred to a job in Chalmette, LA Monday. That means that I have to travel through New Orleans twice every day. On top of that, it is a tight schedule, which means that it will probably be 70+ hours a week. To make things worse, the reason I'm being transferred is because the job I will be doing has been mishandled by the dumbass that has been doing it for over 6 months. So, I am being sent as damage control so that my company is not kicked off the project. That's fine, I like a challenge. I'm not happy about the time I'll be missing with my family, but I know how corporations work.  I'm pretty good at what I do, so they want me to go put out the fires. Fair enough.

One small problem may come about because the Project Manager for my company is a guy that worked for me back in 2009. I was forced to fire him due to absenteeism. (He missed 48 days in less than a year). He is not technically going to be my boss, but he is the Project Manager, and he can make my life miserable if he so chooses. I'm happy that he has worked his way up to where he is today, but I have no clue whether or not he still holds a grudge against me. I guess time will tell.

Sorry about the waaaaaaay off topic post. I'm just a little pissed about the whole situation. Feel free to talk shit, slam me, or even play "My Heart Bleeds For You" on the world's smallest violin.  :lol:

/rant over

 

48 days? Holy Crap.

Well, that's the problem with being really good at what you do. You're never appreciated until they need damage control and they'll use you to maximum effect. Don't envy you getting stuck commuting through New Orleans. Good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 5:34 AM, JF13 said:

At my job,i've had to take over on different chores due to the first assigned person messing it up,so i know what that's like.Half the time,they come to me first now,so they can get it done right the first time.Still,it can be a pain,so i sympathize.

I know what you mean man. It's great that you are good at what you do. Sometimes it just bites us in the butt. Thanks for the nice words.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:08 AM, Alkavian said:

48 days? Holy Crap.

Well, that's the problem with being really good at what you do. You're never appreciated until they need damage control and they'll use you to maximum effect. Don't envy you getting stuck commuting through New Orleans. Good luck with that.

Yeah man, I actually took the guy off to the side about a month before the office made me fire him and said, "Bro, you have to stop missing work. At the end of the day, the excuses don't matter, they just look at the bottom line." I mean, the guy had legitimate reasons for a lot of the time he missed. His dad passed away, his baby girl was hospitalized with pneumonia, and he got into a fender bender on the way to work. But, I know for a fact that he had quite a few bouts with the "brown bottle flu". I mean, the dude showed up to work smelling like a brewery, and I had to keep him away from safety and the bosses. I was out of excuses for him In the end. My boss told me, "Either you get rid of him, or I'll get rid of you both." So, as they say, that was that.

I don't mind doing the damage control bro. I do enjoy the challenge of it. I'm just really not looking forward to that 7 day a week schedule again. I actually still like my wife and kid. :lol: But, you do what you gotta do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

I'm just glad they didn't tell me in person because when I am pissed off, the filter between my brain and my mouth tends to malfunction on a regular basis. :lol:

:oWhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? 

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

:oWhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? 

 

;)

I know, right? Who woulda thunk it? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, a guy misses 48 days; constantly fights hangovers; seems overall incompetent, and he's a project manager?

That's almost unheard of in the Midwest. I guess I'm just too used to people having better work ethnics/standards where I currently live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 2:33 PM, Trident77 said:

Damn, a guy misses 48 days; constantly fights hangovers; seems overall incompetent, and he's a project manager?

That's almost unheard of in the Midwest. I guess I'm just too used to people having better work ethnics/standards where I currently live.

You gotta look at the time frame man. He was in his mid 20s when he last worked for me, in a city that is known for partying. He was a great electrician, when he was at work. There were just obviously some personal issues he had to deal with. It has been 9 years. It is apparent that he has changed his ways if he has worked his way up to Project Manager. Trust me, there is a strong work ethic here, especially in the Petro-Chemical industry. We normally work long hours for extended periods of time. And if we make mistakes, some people could really get hurt/die. Trust me, I've worked everywhere from Alaska, to Washington State, to North Dakota, to Nebraska, to Iowa, to Georgia, Texas, and overseas before I settled here in Louisiana. 

The only real issue I see with him is whether or not he still harbors some ill-will towards me because I was the one that told him he was fired, drove him to the gate, and took his credentials away from him. But, I may be blowing that part of it out of proportion. Like I said, time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   It sucks having to work 7 days a week for an extended period, more so with a long cummute. It sucks even more when you want to spend time with your family. I have worked with many that had us do such long hours simply because they didn't want to be with their family. That's on them. I started refusing more than 10 hours per day years ago as I work piecework drywall, longer hours simply started cutting into production and more mistakes were being made due to exhaustion. Three months of nothing but double layer 5/8" cielings  7 days a week will do that. To anyone. Hopefully you will get a day or two to spend with your family sooner than you think.
   That was 9 years ago that you fired that guy, some people do hold grudges that long. Hopefully he is not one of them.
   I hope you at least get paid travel time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ahab said:

   It sucks having to work 7 days a week for an extended period, more so with a long cummute. It sucks even more when you want to spend time with your family. I have worked with many that had us do such long hours simply because they didn't want to be with their family. That's on them. I started refusing more than 10 hours per day years ago as I work piecework drywall, longer hours simply started cutting into production and more mistakes were being made due to exhaustion. Three months of nothing but double layer 5/8" cielings  7 days a week will do that. To anyone. Hopefully you will get a day or two to spend with your family sooner than you think.
   That was 9 years ago that you fired that guy, some people do hold grudges that long. Hopefully he is not one of them.
   I hope you at least get paid travel time.

Hey thanks man. The commute really isn't that far, I honestly traveled farther for the job I was on. It's just the pain in the ass of having to go through New Orleans every day. There is a definite reason why I don't live in the city. I'm an electrician by trade, I've just worked my way into quality control in electrical and instrumentation over the years. I've done some sheetrock work, but, I've never had to do extended hours, especially with the 5/8" or 3/4 stuff. That shit will wear you out. I gotta give you props for doing that, it is hard work.

I'm going in with the mindset that he is over it after this long. But, like I said, time will tell.

To be honest, I was getting per diem/gas money for going to the job I've been on. I won't be getting it for this one. It's only 20 miles away. It is the extended hours that bother me more than anything else. I don't need to work 7 days a week. I am happy with 5 or 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Hey thanks man. The commute really isn't that far, I honestly traveled farther for the job I was on. It's just the pain in the ass of having to go through New Orleans every day. There is a definite reason why I don't live in the city. I'm an electrician by trade, I've just worked my way into quality control in electrical and instrumentation over the years. I've done some sheetrock work, but, I've never had to do extended hours, especially with the 5/8" or 3/4 stuff. That shit will wear you out. I gotta give you props for doing that, it is hard work.

I'm going in with the mindset that he is over it after this long. But, like I said, time will tell.

To be honest, I was getting per diem/gas money for going to the job I've been on. I won't be getting it for this one. It's only 20 miles away. It is the extended hours that bother me more than anything else. I don't need to work 7 days a week. I am happy with 5 or 6.

   20 miles isn't so bad I guess. I have never been to New Orleans (I don't get out of Canada at all really), but driving through any city traffic can add a lot of time. Check your maps though, even a longer distance to go around can sometimes be faster if you can avoid lights and traffic.
   Good Luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ahab said:

   20 miles isn't so bad I guess. I have never been to New Orleans (I don't get out of Canada at all really), but driving through any city traffic can add a lot of time. Check your maps though, even a longer distance to go around can sometimes be faster if you can avoid lights and traffic.
   Good Luck!!

Yeah, I have a couple of alternate routes, depending on traffic. It'll be ok, I'm just not happy about having to leave a job that I like to go to a job that I probably won't. Thanks for the encouragement man. It'll all work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, Rexfellis said:

*snip

Hmmm...I admit I didn't think about the time frame. It's true, hopefully nine years has changed him for the better.

Regardless, good luck with your project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Hmmm...I admit I didn't think about the time frame. It's true, hopefully nine years has changed him for the better.

Regardless, good luck with your project.

I hope it has. And, thanks man. I'm sure it'll all work out. I might just piss off a few people during the process. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

I hope it has. And, thanks man. I'm sure it'll all work out. I might just piss off a few people during the process. :lol:

I'm sure you'll be fine, your new job role sounds a little to me like that of a liquidator sent to take control of a bankrupt business and that guy is the manager that let the business slip (as a comparison). If you're sent as damage control to save the contract then you must do whatever you have to do! Throw your weight around (well not literally) to get things done, I presume you are now 'in charge' of his mess? I don't think you'll have anything to worry about because he'll be more worried about you in the now than anything petty from the past. Sounds like your job role is now telling new people what they did was wrong and how to fix it, so they'll probably think you're telling them how to do their job so they are bound not to like you!

- 48 days! Was he claiming sickness or something? I only got 25 days off annual leave for working the whole of last year!

I'm not a city person and I hate driving through a busy town! As for going through somewhere like New Orleans if skirting around the city isn't an option I'd leave home earlier and try to get through before the rush hour. If I then got to work extremely early, have a sleep in the car or something until you need to get out. If it makes you feel better you're not the only one who works part of the year 7 days a week - farming never stops at harvest time. All I can say is, your job role sounds like you are given a lot of responsibility so you must earn quite a bit of salary money every year? Well you'll be earning more than me anyway like for like hours.

Best of luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me I’m dealing with real life crap to like my ex texted me saying “ looking at al old photos of use” and he sent me a dick pic and I said eww I was 15 then and why does you dick look like my thumb and he never replied 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moe9999633 said:

Trust me I’m dealing with real life crap to like my ex texted me saying “ looking at al old photos of use” and he sent me a dick pic and I said eww I was 15 then and why does you dick look like my thumb and he never replied 

Lol :ajsaltbae:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, a kamikaze man said:

- 48 days! Was he claiming sickness or something?

Oh, he had various excuses. Some were legitimate, and some reeked of bullshit. When it came down to it, no matter what his excuses were, you just can't miss a day almost every week for a year. I think he knew that.

Update: The Project Manager seems to have learned his lesson over the years. He  is actually on top of things from what I have seen so far, and has unfortunately had to deal with a bit of corporate bullshit himself. The guy who was doing my job before I got here was the brother in law of the VP of operations for my company. [Not using the PM's name] has been trying to get rid of him, or put him in a different spot for over 2 months now. He was finally able to send him off of the job when the client complained due to the lack of work turned over because of the QC team not being able to sign off on things being done. This was due to the coordinator (the aforementioned "brother in law") not having the proper paperwork ready for them. It is the usual "good ol' boy" system gone wrong.

I think we are all on the same page now, and have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done to turn this project around. Unfortunately, I see some weak links with the QC inspectors, with the supervision on the job, and with Document Control. I have the uneasy feeling that I am going to make quite a few people very upset (and likely looking for a different job) before this is all said and done. Sometimes things have to get a lot worse before they can get better.

I guess I can't really blame the office for sending me to this job, but I was happy with my former position. We all knew each other, we all knew what needed to be done, and the wheat had already been separated from the chaff. Also, I didn't have to spend hours a day building stupid spreadsheets in Excel! :angry: We had all of that shit done.  It just feels like I'm sitting in a big ass pile of chaff again now! :lol:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Albert Wesker wasn't here....he'd use the Uroboros virus to cut through the chaff REAL quick....lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, Rexfellis said:

Sometimes things have to get a lot worse before they can get better.

Welcome to Corporate America, amigo.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swung by to see if there were any updates. I'm glad that it looks like there's a plan, @Rexfellis, and it doesn't involve anything tender on you being put in a vice (like an ear!.... what?!).

Nice title change, by the way. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...