Jubileet

Spawning as Jarvis and why it should be changed

Randomly spawning as Tommy Jarvais is... well lame. It's essentially the only reason why players are forced to stay in the match to obtain their completed match XP (we all know how well that's working). There should be a choice involved and it could be done somewhat easily.  Right now there is no rhyme or reason, besides escaping or being dead that you are selected to return as Tommy. At the very least, Tommy spawning should warrant Completed Match rewards for those players Dead/Escaped so we can make the decision to leave or stay. I simply don't understand the logic behind forcing people to waste their time by literally watching and not playing the game to get rewarded. If we wanted to watch we could go to twitch. If you think about it, it really only add's to queue times too. As numbers dwindle this will become more of an issue. 

Alternatives:

• Whomever calls Tommy comes back as him when dead
  • Once called, whomever finds Tommy escapes and comes back as him
  • The first person to die in the match gets another chance as Tommy (since it's likely due to bad luck anyway)
  • Make a Tommy preference in options, a random player queued is pulled into your game as Tommy (more realistic anyway).
  • Like 1

Meh.. I think the random selection is fine.     

Also your logic behind watching the game (After you die) and rather watch twitch is basically just your opinion.

I HATE TWITCH,  i have no reason what so ever to watch someone else play a video game.   The entire concept of watching others play video games to me makes no sense.  Except for when i want to buy a game.

But, Dying in F13th puts you in spectator mode for a few mins and at least allows you to control the camera.    And sticking around for the rest of the game usually means less time filling up the lobby for the next match.  At least spectator mod can be entertaining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

Meh.. I think the random selection is fine.     

Also your logic behind watching the game (After you die) and rather watch twitch is basically just your opinion.

I HATE TWITCH,  i have no reason what so ever to watch someone else play video game.   The entire concept of watching others play video games to me makes no sense.

But, Dying in F13th puts you in spectator mode for a few mins and at least allows you to control the camera.    And sticking around for the rest of the game usually means less time filling up the lobby for the next match.  At least spectator mod can be entertaining.

And changing the mechanic doesn't have to impact that in anyway if you *want to stay. But no one should be forced to stay to be rewarded.

3 minutes ago, Jubileet said:

And changing the mechanic doesn't have to impact that in anyway if you *want to stay. But no one should be forced to stay to be rewarded.

I guess you're right about the reward.  But no one is really forced to stay for anything.

I personally dislike the XP/CP aspect of Friday the 13th.    I believe having grind elements in a game like this does bring a bit more players, but it brings players that care more about rewards then having fun.  But if you care more about rewards then sticking around in that lobby, no ones forcing you to stay.

This topic is about more than one thing, that's making it hard to give a clear answer, Tommy does need a rework, to many things to list here though, so I'll skip that. As for the reward mechanism for spectatoring and xp, I believe it was done to get you to watch what other counselors do that is successful, an in game lesson based on 'this players lived longer than you' so watch what they do. It works early on as intended, and players get better. But later it encourages bad habits that lead to bad behaviour. Your about to escape at the eight minute mark,  but it instead you stick around to search drawers, or taunt Jason. Maybe you save other counselors at first, rather than leave and stare at your screen for twelve minutes. Or maybe you just dance at the exit, regardless it destroys the urgency to escape. It beings you out of that place where immersion happens. So if the new engine can handle it, the Devs can, they should put the lobby cabin in. I believe it was on the kickstarter, been awhile I'd have to go look, but when I read it originally it made me think of how the virtual cabin is. You could sit in front of the t.v. and spectate the rest of the match. Head out the door front or back to go to another lobby waiting for players, jump right into another match. Choosing to write on a chalk board, it would just appear, your score to compare with other players what you did in a match, or your overall ranking. Fun stuff done in a camp grounds kinda way. Sometime I just want one more match, and I don't have time to wait ten more mins, hoping Jason kills them all fast. Being able to go to another lobby rather then play Tommy would be cool however the Devs decide to do it.

• Like 1

Just now, NoOneK9503 said:

Javais? What's this? A new Java update?

I didn't want to say anything... I'm glad someone else did for me.

Not a fan of this Tommy Jarvais character whatsoever. He was funny in the Office and presenting the Golden Globes but to shoehorn him into the game like this is ridiculous. I blame Gun Media...it's just not good enough, and I demand answers! 

1 hour ago, Jubileet said:

• The first person to die in the match gets another chance as Tommy (since it's likely due to bad luck anyway)

This already pretty much happens.  Tommy is chosen from the first 2 people to die/escape.

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

it brings players that care more about rewards then having fun.

That is why I put everything on random and only ever use perks for stamina or sense avoidance.  I try to encourage people (especially the ones who only play private matches) to NOT use things like Thick Skinned or Medic and focus on buffing a counselors weakness.  Have fun with the game and don't try so hard "playing the meta".  

@Truth Exactly.  Restful is the ONLY perk I have aross the board.  I look at each counselor and have 2 perks to either buff a weakness or to help with objectives (4 of them have a 30%+ MDaC and it only goes on counselors who potentially would have a "cop dad", Tiff, Chad, Lachappa... And either Deb or A.J. (can't remember)).

I have a feeling if the devs add more hero characters and different skill sets for those hero characters that the opinion on the concept will become more varied.

As it is. Tommy is the best version of the counselors, but he's just that with a first aid, pocket knife and shotgun to go along with the kill mechanic.

19 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

I try to encourage people (especially the ones who only play private matches) to NOT use things like Thick Skinned or Medic and focus on buffing a counselors weakness.

I agree 100%. I've only rolled a common medic at best, so I never bothered to even keep it. I run sense avoidance or increased damage perks. Also a "my dad's a cop" here and there.

31 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

@Truth Exactly.  Restful is the ONLY perk I have aross the board.  I look at each counselor and have 2 perks to either buff a weakness or to help with objectives (4 of them have a 30%+ MDaC and it only goes on counselors who potentially would have a "cop dad", Tiff, Chad, Lachappa... And either Deb or A.J. (can't remember))

Mine is 25%. I put it on Mitch (because it's funny), LaChaapa, Shelly, and Chad.

Just now, Truth said:

Mine is 25%. I put it on Mitch (because it's funny), LaChaapa, Shelly, and Chad.

I keep Marathon, Restful, and Grinder on Lachappa.

To be fair, though, I'm only Level 57.  Once I get up to max level, I'll probably switch out Grinder for something to reduce fear, but otherwise, I can' really fault the logic here.

2 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

I keep Marathon, Restful, and Grinder on Lachappa.

To be fair, though, I'm only Level 57.  Once I get up to max level, I'll probably switch out Grinder for something to reduce fear, but otherwise, I can' really fault the logic here.

I never saw the point in using grinder... Epic is only 5%. You probably average less than 100xp per match using it and you could easily get that using another perk. Hell, even the perk for starting with firecrackers could get you that. In my opinion it's a wasted perk slot.

Just now, Truth said:

I never saw the point in using grinder... Epic is only 5%. You probably average less than 100xp per match using it and you could easily get that using another perk. Hell, even the perk for starting with firecrackers could get you that. In my opinion it's a wasted perk slot.

Maybe, but I look at it this way: for every 100 levels, 5% bonus XP is the equivalent of five extra levels you don't have to earn.  Five may not seem like a lot right now, but then ask yourself, "if I could magically skip ahead five levels right now, would you?"  I know I certainly would.

Again, it's situational.  I'm just trying to get to 125 as quickly as possible to unlock the rest of the kills.  After that, I'll gladly swap grinder out.

5 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Maybe, but I look at it this way: for every 100 levels, 5% bonus XP is the equivalent of five extra levels you don't have to earn.  Five may not seem like a lot right now, but then ask yourself, "if I could magically skip ahead five levels right now, would you?"  I know I certainly would.

Again, it's situational.  I'm just trying to get to 125 as quickly as possible to unlock the rest of the kills.  After that, I'll gladly swap grinder out.

To each his own really. If you want to level fast do offline bots. You can easily finish a match under 10 minutes (@bewareofbears got it done in 2:40) and you can consistently get over 2000 xp every match. I know it's not the most fun option, but that's the fastest way to level up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truth said:

To each his own really. If you want to level fast do offline bots. You can easily finish a match under 10 minutes (@bewareofbears got it done in 2:40) and you can consistently get over 2000 xp every match. I know it's not the most fun option, but that's the fastest way to level up.

That's what I do when double XP weekends hit.  Spam J3 on a small map.

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Thick Skin and Medic can really help with objectives if a team player is running them.

Edit: think I meant to quote someone else here. Oh well, gooooo Mitch!

In regards to the grinder perk, sure 5 levels is great, but that is a perk slot that could help you escape and survive more, which also earns you more xp. So Grinder is a slight hindrance as well, meaning its likely really only an extra 3 levels gained.

Just now, CPLhicks31 said:

Thick Skin and Medic can really help with objectives if a team player is running them.

I agree. But like I've only gotten poor/common versions of the perks, and I find more value in others. Nowadays I'm really just going for boat repairs/escapes, and Jason kills. Not much else for me to do as a counselor badge-wise.

I main Vanessa and use medic, hypochondriac, and the car speed perk (mainly because it slows the repair speed). I try to tank traps right away. In fact, I enjoy spawning at the phone house because usually they trap and leave and boom- 1 or 2 of Jason's traps are gone and I'm healed up and running even if I didn't find spray in the phone house.

Of course toward the end of the match having health means I can play the window game. If it's broken, so what? I usually have 4-6 sprays. That's more than enough to kill the clock usually.

As to the original post, I do have to say that I find it annoying as I usually don't die early enough to be Tommy, but when I am the 1st or 2nd to die (or escape) I definitely get the short end of the straw more than not. There probably isn't a fair way to do it, but I do think a combo of a Tommy preference + a point scheme (maybe current xp from the match or a separate "Tommy" score should determine who gets the denim jacket. By Tommy score, the devs could put a scoring system like this:

100 points for stunning Jason

100 for calling Tommy

50 per tanked trap

200 for knife used to disarm trap

25 for barricading a door

And I'm sure you could come up with other or different point totals as well. I'm sure it's easier to keep it random of course. But this is just a thought.

What I do know is that there should be a "do you accept being Tommy Jarvis?" screen with a 15 second timer. If you are AFK then it should go to someone else. Seeing an AFK Tommy is no fun. Ever.

Edit: Tommy "preference" should be included because I know there are people (like my wife for instance) that actually don't like coming back as Tommy. If someone feels like it's a burden or they're not good enough, they should opt to decline.

6 hours ago, Jubileet said:

Randomly spawning as Tommy Jarvais is... well lame. It's essentially the only reason why players are forced to stay in the match to obtain their completed match XP (we all know how well that's working). There should be a choice involved and it could be done somewhat easily.  Right now there is no rhyme or reason, besides escaping or being dead that you are selected to return as Tommy. At the very least, Tommy spawning should warrant Completed Match rewards for those players Dead/Escaped so we can make the decision to leave or stay. I simply don't understand the logic behind forcing people to waste their time by literally watching and not playing the game to get rewarded. If we wanted to watch we could go to twitch. If you think about it, it really only add's to queue times too. As numbers dwindle this will become more of an issue. 

Alternatives:

• Whomever calls Tommy comes back as him when dead
  • Once called, whomever finds Tommy escapes and comes back as him
  • Make a Tommy preference in options, a random player queued is pulled into your game as Tommy (more realistic anyway).

Yeah, nothings worser than a “Braindead” Tommy coming back and escapeing in the four seater all alone. And there’s goes another Jason kill :/