Josh Delagrange

Old Horror Films Vs New Horror Films

2 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Basically FRANKENSTEIN? A.I. and transhumanism are both still hot topics and in the zeitgeist, so something along these lines might work, but would need another X-factor I think, so we feel like we're getting something new.

Sort of except this madman is conscious of what happened and has a gleeful bloodlust. Good point on the X factor. Hmm... The killer then tries to upload his conciousness to an AI program  that controls nuclear weapons and infrastructure in an attempt to kill everyone in the world?

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

Sort of except this madman is conscious of what happened and has a gleeful bloodlust. Good point on the X factor. Hmm... The killer then tries to upload his conciousness to an AI program  that controls nuclear weapons and infrastructure in an attempt to kill everyone in the world?

Escalating the stakes is a good instinct, but I'd take a step back and consider the protagonist, and what his or her arc is going to be, what his or her flaw is, and how this killer affects his or her life (other than mere survival). Maybe she's one of the scientists? Maybe she is trying to save her terminally ill daughter's life with this, and she breaks into the lab to upload her child's mind into the machine so she might live forever, not knowing that the company was already running a secret (and illegal) experiment on human Guinea pigs they were getting from a privately ran contract prison (hence why a serial killer is in there). So now she saves her daughter's life in this machine, and she thinks it's just her daughter, but the serial killer is also in there. So now the two wills are blended, and trying to overtake the other. And now you have this mother, who slowly figures this out, and can't simply destroy it, because that would mean the death of her daughter, too. So she takes this robot mind home (on a disc, probably), sneaks it out, and uploads it into a simulacrum in her home office of a young girl (meant to look like her real daughter). So the story has shades of CHILD'S PLAY, SHORT CIRCUIT, FRANKENSTEIN, but is centered around the relatable idea of a mother trying to save her daughter, but the daughter is also a brutal killer. And the goal is to figure out how to destroy the evil mind in the robot while saving the daughter, and avoid being tracked down by the corporation, who wants their stolen property back (and also wants to make sure this is all covered up, because they were breaking the law).

And maybe at first, this robot girl obeys the mother and only kills others, but as time goes on and the psychopath mind asserts itself more strongly, it becomes even more dangerous.

And of course, at the end, after the mother does whatever she needs to do to purge the evil mind and save her daughter, we would be left wondering if the right mind was actually destroyed, or maybe there is no way to ever fully make just one mind again (so the robot girl is actually a sweet, innocent murderous psychopath forever).

58 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

My biggest complaint is the over-abundance and reliance of CGI.

I thought the NIGHTMARE remake suffered terribly from this. Well, there were a lot of things wrong, but the dreamscapes felt so much less sinister with the goofy CGI.

@Smitty_Voorhees the idea just recently popped into my head after seeing some videos on how to theoretically upload human consciousness to a robot. I like your ideas and if youre interested ill let you know when I have a more concrete story.

Just now, F134Ever86 said:

@Smitty_Voorhees the idea just recently popped into my head after seeing some videos on how to theoretically upload human consciousness to a robot. I like your ideas and if youre interested ill let you know when I have a more concrete story.

Yeah, absolutely! And good luck with the script!

20 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Im thinking of writing a screenplay, heres a quick pitch : scientists upload serial killers brain into a robot. Who would watch this?

cain_1990_01.jpg

Cain approves of the concept.

• Thanks 2

I like older horror movies more.

Pyscho (1960)

TCM (1974)

Halloween (1978)

F13s (1980-1986)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Scream (1996)

These are all great movies. Modern horror movies are all paranormal— lame!! They try to dive into suspense, and fail at it!!! Thankfully, Halloween (2018) should be great, and hopefully give some older franchises courage to have sequels, NOT REMAKES.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, The Doctor said:

Just my opinion, but I think jump scares are way too over-used and are cheap because they're littered everywhere in films. It's a lazy scare, but that's just me. But if being startled does it for you, by all means. I like tension, looming fear, that kind of intensity that draws on a situation. Not just the quick turn-arounds of false panic. I mostly blame Blair Witch for ushering jump scares into the norm, as though it's a necessity to have a horror film, which I don't think is needed.

My biggest complaint is the over-abundance and reliance of CGI. Granted we're in the modern era where film-making can be expressed more creatively because of technology, however I feel that older horror relied better on practical effects which was really part of their charm. Especially in just the filming itself; I really like the older films that have that grainy look to them. They seem more visceral in that aspect where you don't need Hi-Def/4K detail which can really be distracting at times. 

I don't remember that many jump scares in The Blair Witch Project .... I've not seen it in a while, so I'll have to go back and check it out, but I only recall a couple. I mostly remember the amazing atmosphere and the psychological terror of Heather having a mental breakdown.

Jump scares were all over mainstream horror well before Blair Witch. Look at Scream from three years earlier, that was nearly all jump scares. Carrie is the one that got the ball rolling for me, a lot of horror films that followed copied the hand-shooting-out-the-dirt jump scare. 

The modern false panic thing you mentioned, I think that was probably more a misinterpretation of what made the Asian horror films of the 90s so good ... a lot of Hollywood output saw the "boo" scare of a lank haired woman in a cupboard or under the bedsheets and shoe-horned as much of it as possible in to their films, thinking that's all it took to make a great modern horror. That's not what made most of the Asian horrors great though (well, not just that).

New Horror films just have that…...''urgh'' atmosphere. I think Rob Zombie's Halloween had that Problem. JGTH kinda too but it still had Old Elements.

8 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I don't remember that many jump scares in The Blair Witch Project .... I've not seen it in a while, so I'll have to go back and check it out, but I only recall a couple. I mostly remember the amazing atmosphere and the psychological terror of Heather having a mental breakdown.

Jump scares were all over mainstream horror well before Blair Witch. Look at Scream from three years earlier, that was nearly all jump scares. Carrie is the one that got the ball rolling for me, a lot of horror films that followed copied the hand-shooting-out-the-dirt jump scare. 

The modern false panic thing you mentioned, I think that was probably more a misinterpretation of what made the Asian horror films of the 90s so good ... a lot of Hollywood output saw the "boo" scare of a lank haired woman in a cupboard or under the bedsheets and shoe-horned as much of it as possible in to their films, thinking that's all it took to make a great modern horror. That's not what made most of the Asian horrors great though (well, not just that).

Maybe I misspoke, but what I did mean was that jump scares have become more and more frequent in modern day cinema, and IMO it really got turned up to 11 in the past several decades. What Blair Witch did do, however, was really bolster the found footage/supernatural genre. To me, when you're up to Paranormal Activity 23: Electric Boogaloo things have  gotten way out to hand. 

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Maybe I misspoke, but what I did mean was that jump scares have become more and more frequent in modern day cinema, and IMO it really got turned up to 11 in the past several decades. What Blair Witch did do, however, was really bolster the found footage/supernatural genre. To me, when you're up to Paranormal Activity 23: Electric Boogaloo things have  gotten way out to hand.  

Ah , jumpscares…...Cheap? Yeah , definitely….but I love 'em. They´re funny....and you don´t get mentally scarred…...Well , it depends….Five nights at Freddy's is good in my opinion...

People confuse age with quality. There were a lot of really sucky horror movies back in the day too. Regardless of release date, there's horror from every era that is of quality. 

21 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Spot on there ... I guess its the cheap way to make a horror film.  I love a good jump scare when its done well, but if that's all that's on offer it gets quite predictable and dull. 

I thought there would be a landslide of found-footage films after Blair Witch considering the money it made on a tiny budget, the same way Halloween launched the slasher explosion but I don't remember there being too many ... even the sequel ditched the format. But yeah, its gotten out of hand lately. Rec, Rec 2, and Paranormal Activity were all fantastic but the rest? M'eh ... 

A sort of mockumentary / found footage one that's absolutely worth a watch though is Lake Mungo, its amazing.  Worth watching not knowing much about it.

7 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

People confuse age with quality. There were a lot of really sucky horror movies back in the day too. Regardless of release date, there's horror from every era that is of quality. 

Totally (Halloween pun intended!) ... my fave era is 1978 to 1984 ... I've lost count of the amount of horror films from that period I've watched hoping they would be great but which turned out to be utter dog toffee

Off the top of my head, Sleepaway Camp 2, pretty much every Elm Street Sequel after 4, every Child's Play sequel after the 2nd one, etc.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, deathbat96777 said:

Off the top of my head, Sleepaway Camp 2, pretty much every Elm Street Sequel after 4, every Child's Play sequel after the 2nd one, etc.

:o[gaaaaaaaaassssssssp]:o

You take that back! 

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers was a national treasure!

It checks off ALL the boxes:

• Misleading promotional art (when did THAT person appear in the movie?)
  • A slapstick approach to slashing in a complete tonal departure from its predecessor
  • Shameless nods to other series as if they were peers on the same level
  • Honestly? Pretty good gore.
  • Edit: Mullets for days!!!

This movie had it all!

A1plLK0uwjL._SL1500_.jpg

sleepaway-camp-2.jpg

SleepawayCamp2.jpg

Edit:

11981_5.jpg

Edited by NthnButAGoodTime
Can't believe I left out mullets!

I liked the first one and the third one, just not the second one. I know, I'm weird 

On 7/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers was a national treasure!

This would be the ultimate troll title to a sequel to this game.  Recycle the assets, remove the IP, and toss in Easter Eggs referring to forum members. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

This would be the ultimate troll title to a sequel to this game.  Recycle the assets, remove the IP, and toss in Easter Eggs referring to forum members. 

fc9e6d1e0d3b1481e186850d08c6fe3f--featheimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnFrZrbyWWEAYHR3XIIy7dd9b0815832969df9bc4b863c0873ec1--movie-54919-6838.jpg

If we're picking a title from my last post, I would prefer the title Mullets For Days. Everyone, including the killer could have mullets.

hisnamewasjason39378844.jpg

Which would mean that Kane Hodder could still participate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

fc9e6d1e0d3b1481e186850d08c6fe3f--featheimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnFrZrbyWWEAYHR3XIIy7dd9b0815832969df9bc4b863c0873ec1--movie-54919-6838.jpg

If we're picking a title from my last post, I would prefer the title Mullets For Days. Everyone, including the killer could have mullets.

hisnamewasjason39378844.jpg

Which would mean that Kane Hodder could still participate.

You had me at Alex Winter and Crispin Glover.

Edit: Old school is pretty broad, but all things Evil Dead are okay in my book.  Maniac Cop, definitely, and Lost Boys.  Trashy vampire horror cracks me up.  

But I have a guilty pleasure (as do most of us):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099151/

3SOMGyk.png

🤘

@Bropollocreed79, big travel softball fan, I see. Be a shame if your local boys lost to an all-female squad. We don't need the kind of story that would never make it into a movie today happening in the backwoods around here.

• Haha 1