Cryna

Best horror character ever?

Best horror character ever? Lets have a civil argument about it.

10 hours ago, Cryna said:

Lets have a civil argument about it.

9 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Dracula.

No your wrong omg you are such an idiot lol why would you ever think that dumb lol whos Dracula hah so wrong never right.

But seriously probably Jigsaw.

Frankenstein's Monster.

9 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Dracula.

I would generally agree- I view them as 1A and 1B. Almost all horror stems from the influence of these two characters.

6 hours ago, TheButtonMasher said:

No your wrong omg you are such an idiot lol why would you ever think that dumb lol whos Dracula hah so wrong never right.

But seriously probably Jigsaw.

You're just a big doo doo head. 

I'm curious as to why you say Jigsaw. With that, I'll explain why Dracula below. 

6 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Frankenstein's Monster.

I would generally agree- I view them as 1A and 1B. Almost all horror stems from the influence of these two characters.

I debated Frankenstein's Monster. I sat on the thread for about 10-15 thinking about it. I think I went with Dracula because of the human fear of the dead (Which the Monster also has going for him), but also for how Dracula/vampires in general fit into such a diverse amount of stories and genres. I didn't pick Jason, or the Shape, or Leatherface because they all are one trick ponies. Stalk, kill, repeat. But vampires fit in to so many narratives. You can make superhero movies about them, you can make sci fi and fantasy, and most horrible of all, you can make romantic comedies. Sparkly? Now that's scary. Everybody from Bram Stoker to Anne Rice and Stephen King has a take on vampires, keeping them infinitely evolving. 

4 hours ago, Riot_Dame said:

Pennywise (original) bc fuck clowns man

Heh. Clown spider eldritch abominations at that. 

This is a difficult question to answer because there are many qualifiers but I think I’m going to go with Pennywise. Not because of the “Clowns Are Scary” thing but because it’s a primordial dimension being that transforms into your worst fear and will never die permanently.

Norman Bates, because to me, he's the precursor to everything I love about the horror genre. Without Psycho, I don't think we ever would've gotten Halloween or Friday the 13th. 

• Like 1

<-----This guy.  It's inexcusable they haven't put him in a FvJvA movie yet.

• Like 1

I've sat here, thought about this over and over and read through the responses several times. Immediately, the horror fanatic in me wants to go with the movies I started this genre with...Michael, Jason, and Leatherface. Texas Chainsaw massacre was the first horror film I saw...ever. And it scared the everloving crap out of me. I had nightmares for a long time. Halloween is probably my favorite slasher franchise, and Jason and his mommy did their parts in solidifying my love of horror. (and almost making me pee in my underoos :lol:) Freddy came into my life a little later, and the first one still succeeded in creeping me out. The thought of a guy that could enter your dreams was scary! Everybody's gotta sleep.

But, when I try to get to the essence of horror, I have to go with @Risinggrave and @bewareofbears. Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster are the source of all of our nightmares. Dracula has a lore that is so closely tied to history that even the ridiculous idea of and undead being that survives on the blood of the living seems somehow plausible, and scary as hell. Bram Stoker took the history and stories and turned them into a narrative that grabbed you and made you believe that this could have actually happened. (At least for me.)

As for Frankenstein's creation, it nails the "tragic monster" trope that would be used in later horror films. I mean, let's face it, Victor Frankenstein is the real monster in this story. In the 1910 short (thanks BoB), the 1931 film, and the resulting series, Frankenstein's monster became the monster that a lot of western civilization identified with. The thought is appalling. Whether the brain came from Victor's mentor, or a deranged criminal, the idea of bringing the dead back to life can be terrifying.

I know that there were French and Japanese horror films prior to 1910's Frankenstein. Georges Melles' Le Manoir du Diable, and La Caverne Maudite come to mind, as do the Japanese forays into horror, Bake Jizo and Shinin no Sosei (which I think is the first film portraying undead, but I could be wrong). But, I believe that Frankenstein was most moviegoer's foray into horror, with Dracula (and Nosferatu) coming along shortly thereafter. If you think about it, these two icons have been the building blocks of most horror movies since then. Of course, there have been so many sub-genres of horror over the decades that stray so far from these to prototypes as to not even be tied to them. But, I do think that Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula have been the most influential characters in horror cinema who have ever been created.

TL;DR: Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster are my choice for the best horror characters ever, but, I love so many sub-genres of horror. I'm just glad that horror exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh I think The Thing would be a good contestant, its a shape-shifting being that can transform into your friends, so you can't trust anyone.

3 hours ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Reported.

You better tell me why you chose Jigsaw before I go to the shadow realm, then. 

2 hours ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

<-----This guy.  It's inexcusable they haven't put him in a FvJvA movie yet.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Bruce Campbell's Ash. 

tFOLfz7.gif

You say that like there is another Ash. B)

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

I've sat here, thought about this over and over and read through the responses several times. Immediately, the horror fanatic in me wants to go with the movies I started this genre with...Michael, Jason, and Leatherface. Texas Chainsaw massacre was the first horror film I saw...ever. And it scared the everloving crap out of me. I had nightmares for a long time. Halloween is probably my favorite slasher franchise, and Jason and his mommy did their parts in solidifying my love of horror. (and almost making me pee in my underoos :lol:) Freddy came into my life a little later, and the first one still succeeded in creeping me out. The thought of a guy that could enter your dreams was scary! Everybody's gotta sleep.

But, when I try to get to the essence of horror, I have to go with @Risinggrave and @bewareofbears. Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster are the source of all of our nightmares. Dracula has a lore that is so closely tied history that even the ridiculous idea of and undead being that survives on the blood of the living seems somehow plausible, and scary as hell. Bram Stoker took the history and stories and turned them into a narrative that grabbed you and made you believe that this could have actually happened. (At least for me.)

As for Frankenstein's creation, it nails the "tragic monster" trope that would be used in later horror films. I mean, let's face it, Victor Frankenstein is the real monster in this story. In the 1910 short (thanks BoB), the 1931 film, and the resulting series, Frankenstein's monster became the monster that a lot of western civilization identified with. The thought is appalling. Whether the brain came from Victor's mentor, or a deranged criminal, the idea of bringing the dead back to life can be terrifying.

I know that there were French and Japanese horror films prior to 1910's Frankenstein. Georges Melles' Le Manoir du Diable, and La Caverne Maudite come to mind, as do the Japanese forays into horror, Bake Jizo and Shinin no Sosei (which I think is the first film portraying undead, but I could be wrong). But, I believe that Frankenstein was most moviegoer's foray into horror, with Dracula (and Nosferatu) coming along shortly thereafter. If you think about it, these two icons have been the building blocks of most horror movies since then. Of course, there have been so many sub-genres of horror over the decades that stray so far from these to prototypes as to not even be tied to them. But, I do think that Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula have been the most influential characters in horror cinema who have ever been created.

TL;DR: Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster are my choice for the best horror characters ever, but, I love so many sub-genres of horror. I'm just glad that horror exists.

I recall my neighbor had HBO and the trailer for Nightmare on Elm Street 2 came on. When Freddy jumps through the sliding glass window and vanishes, 7 year old us thought he had come out of the TV to kill us. 

I honestly think my first horror film may have been Friday 3. I recall peeking at it from behind the recliner, scared as all hell. 

3 minutes ago, Cryna said:

Tbh I think The Thing would be a good contestant, its a shape-shifting being that can transform into your friends, so you can't trust anyone.

The Thing is another contender. I think he is a bit too niche to be the best ever, though. 

3 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Bruce Campbell's Ash. 

tFOLfz7.gif

I like how Ash jumps to the top of the leaderboard in the Midwest.

Dracula spawned so many others. Nosferatu was creepy AF! But, he was silent. Bela's Dracula was all that and charming too! Kinda like Hannibal as a vampire!

All of these guys are great, but if I had to name one, it would be the Frankenstein Monster for many of the same reasons already stated above.Icons.thumb.jpg.9eb1e2ed112128ca1acb222253508d18.jpg

And one more, just for laughs. I know it's not Bela but you should all get the joke.

Vlad.thumb.jpg.276dc2716a9157d29df4d4116abd7625.jpg

• Haha 1

Jason. Gotta go with Jason, and not just because this is a forum for F13 the Game.

As a fan of horror, the first real horror movie series I got into was F13. And I got into that because as a youngin' I played a little game called Splatterhouse, featuring a badass protagonist beating up monsters while wearing a hockey mask. It was a natural evolution.

Freddy, Michael, and Ash are up there for me.

I don't include any of the Universal Classics in my list purely for the fact that as a child I never considered them to be frightening. I thought Dracula was funny, Frakenstein's Monster to be sad, and so on and so forth - but never scary. Granted horror movies have never really scared me, but Jason was my reason for being into horror movies.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, Cryna said:

Best horror character ever? Lets have a civil argument about it.

Oh boy. This is a BIIIIG question. 

I have two answers:

My Favorite: Jason, by far. His and his mother's story is the best in all of horror. Very seldom do you come across a story where you understand a killer's motivations. Freddy was a crazy nut. Michael Myers was just really weird. Leatherface was . . . Leatherface. But Jason -- AND his mother -- they both have reasons for their actions, both physical, mental, and emotional. One of the greatest injustices in horror is that Pamela has not yet gotten her back story told in film. 

The Scariest: I have to say Leatherface. Jason -- along with all the others -- will just hack you up. Leatherface scares the ever-loving crap out of you first, then attacks you with a dull chainsaw, hangs you on a meathook until he's ready to cut your limbs off, then wraps your head/torso in plastic (to keep you from bleeding out) and puts you in a freezer chest while you're still alive. Screw that, I'll run up and hug Jason any day before I go with that.