Sign in to follow this  
xennial446

A Word About The New Roy Gameplay I Saw...

I have a few suggestions. Really small ones, no big deal:

1. Roy should not have the ability to break down doors with his Shears. What he should have is a Shoulder Bash ability that accomplishes the same thing, as, to the best of my knowledge, Roy Burns was not a supernatural juggernaut like Jason Voorhees. The animation would be him repeatedly throwing himself against the barricaded door, heedless of shock or pain, until he finally smashes through. Sorry guys, but I'm not buying the whole "I can break down barricaded doors with my pair of garden shears" thing.

2. Roy, again, being but a mere mortal, should not have the same ability to stalk invisibly through water like Jason; he should have the same swim animation as the other Counselors, if a bit faster. When he's about to drown somebody, he would temporarily submerge as he draws closer to them, and then take them from below. Same killing animation as Jason, he just goes about it in a different way because, as I said, he's human, and not supernatural.

As I said, really small suggestions, nothing major. Other than these two gripes, Roy looks great. Awesome new Kill animations with the Shears, btw.

All the killers are supposed to represent horror tropes of the killer being beyond normal human capabilities. Roy appeared in multiple places quickly despite never running, so thematically he can teleport. Think of it as what a movie looks like rather than what logically should happen based on realism.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

All the killers are supposed to represent horror tropes of the killer being beyond normal human capabilities. Roy appeared in multiple places quickly despite never running, so thematically he can teleport. Think of it as what a movie looks like rather than what logically should happen based on realism.

@xennial446 With that being said, it has been discussed here many times that the (usually) accepted theory is that Jason was a "mere mortal" in Parts 2-4. He was just a man. A very pissed off man, but a man nonetheless. I agree with you a bit about the garden shears breaking down a barricaded door, but Roy has proven that he doesn't need tools to take out a door:

tumblr_nowtmcsLlc1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

As far as his other abilities, if we can suspend disbelief enough to accept that Jason parts 2-4 can shift, morph, and stalk, there shouldn't be any problem believing that Roy can do the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

With that being said, it has been discussed here many times that the (usually) accepted theory is that Jason was a "mere mortal" in Parts 2-4.

I remember reading somewhere that if the books are canon, then Jason wasn't resurrected by Pamela with the necronomicon, but instead because Jason died on an Indian Burial site that was cursed many many years prior. Apparently, a shaman performed a ritual to where a dead tribe member would resurrect and become a superhuman to fight off the White settlers, but was eventually defeated. Since the curse was still there and Jason was the next to die on the land, he became the next superhuman. I guess if that is all true, then he was only human in part 1. (I'll try and see if I can find the source of this information.)

1 minute ago, stoney said:

I guess if that is all true, then he was only human in part 1.

Jason was already "dead" in part 1...

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Jason was already "dead" in part 1...

Before he drowned. 

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

I remember reading somewhere that if the books are canon, then Jason wasn't resurrected by Pamela with the necronomicon, but instead because Jason died on an Indian Burial site that was cursed many many years prior. Apparently, a shaman performed a ritual to where a dead tribe member would resurrect and become a superhuman to fight off the White settlers, but was eventually defeated. Since the curse was still there and Jason was the next to die on the land, he became the next superhuman. I guess if that is all true, then he was only human in part 1. (I'll try and see if I can find the source of this information.)

I read something about that years ago. I don't know if the novels are considered canon (I don't think so), but I was speaking solely on the movies when they were made. The idea for the Necronomicon resurrection didn't appear until Pt. IX. When the Original "Jason Trilogy" (2-4) was filmed, he was human. I do agree with the OP that seeing Roy smash a door with garden shears does look a tad bit ridiculous. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

I read something about that years ago. I don't know if the novels are considered canon (I don't think so), but I was speaking solely on the movies when they were made. The idea for the Necronomicon resurrection didn't appear until Pt. IX. When the Original "Jason Trilogy" (2-4) were filmed, he was human. I do agree with the OP that seeing Roy smash a door with garden shears does look a tad bit ridiculous. :)

Slightly off-topic, but I would have appreciated the movie series more if they actually explained everything and Jason was just an OP murderer, not some supernatural demon. Then again, I haven't seen the movies in quite some time.

Yeah, it just kills the scary vibes for me... because I realize that it is just a game when I see stuff like Roy with flimsy shears jabbing huge holes into a door.

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

Slightly off-topic, but I would have appreciated the movie series more if they actually explained everything and Jason was just an OP murderer, not some supernatural demon. Then again, I haven't seen the movies in quite some time.

Yeah, it just kills the scary vibes for me... because I realize that it is just a game when I see stuff like Roy with flimsy shears jabbing huge holes into a door.

In defense of the movies, Cunningham didn't even have a script when he started trying to convince studios to distribute the first film. He had a name, and a basic idea. Also, he thought the first movie told the story. I don't think he was ever a Jason fan, until the checks started rolling in. So, character development wasn't a priority in the first few films. Continuity was obviously never a priority. :lol:

• Like 1

If you're talking about the original novelizations of the first set of movies, they're non-canon. The novelization for part 2 says that Jason is deformed because he died in the lake and worms at his face until he was resurrected, and that's why he wears a mask. The author of that novel took liberties with the already loose canon. Jason was born already deformed.

@xennial446 I agree with your suggestion nice job!

As for Roy Burns.....He knew how to drive so why wouldn't he use vehicles? makes 0 sense to say he was supernatural and makes less sense to say he wasn't running because he can.....

Roy also as put down by a small gash to his side where Jason was noosed....stabbed...and took an axe to the head.......Jason also had legit superhuman abilities from strength to durability that is all for my statements on roy.

6 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

@xennial446 With that being said, it has been discussed here many times that the (usually) accepted theory is that Jason was a "mere mortal" in Parts 2-4. He was just a man. A very pissed off man, but a man nonetheless. I agree with you a bit about the garden shears breaking down a barricaded door, but Roy has proven that he doesn't need tools to take out a door:

tumblr_nowtmcsLlc1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

As far as his other abilities, if we can suspend disbelief enough to accept that Jason parts 2-4 can shift, morph, and stalk, there shouldn't be any problem believing that Roy can do the same.

This gif shows what would be "Roys' Rage" ability. I never said Roy wouldn't have a Rage ability, I said he wouldn't be able to break through a barricaded door with garden shears. When Roy is not in supernatural Rage mode, he would use the Shoulder Bash ability I mentioned before. Also, please note that the door in this gif isn't barricaded.

4 hours ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

@xennial446 I agree with your suggestion nice job!

As for Roy Burns.....He knew how to drive so why wouldn't he use vehicles? makes 0 sense to say he was supernatural and makes less sense to say he wasn't running because he can.....

Roy also as put down by a small gash to his side where Jason was noosed....stabbed...and took an axe to the head.......Jason also had legit superhuman abilities from strength to durability that is all for my statements on roy.

Thx :)

16 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Again, I never said Roy wouldn't, or couldn't, Shift. The example I gave clearly said garden shears can not break through barricaded cabin doors, and I gave an alternative way for Roy to break through (when NOT in Rage mode). I'm well aware of Roy's ability to appear out of nowhere in the films; it's the reason I left his ability to Shift in the game alone.

3 hours ago, xennial446 said:

This gif shows what would be "Roys' Rage" ability. I never said Roy wouldn't have a Rage ability, I said he wouldn't be able to break through a barricaded door with garden shears. When Roy is not in supernatural Rage mode, he would use the Shoulder Bash ability I mentioned before. Also, please note that the door in this gif isn't barricaded.

Point well taken. I agree with you about the garden shears, it does look a little silly.

Just so you know, be careful about posting 2 or 3 times in a row, it is against the rules. If you want to quote multiple people in one post, you can click on the + symbol to the left of Quote. Also, you can go back and edit a post instead of making a new one. Just trying to help you out, seeing that you are new around here. :)

What's part 6 excuse for breaking a door down using the tip of his spear with an overhead swing?

It's a game.

If we want to be ultra realistic about it, I wouldn't want to use any of the weapons in the game. I would use a battering ram against fortified doors.

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

Point well taken. I agree with you about the garden shears, it does look a little silly.

Just so you know, be careful about posting 2 or 3 times in a row, it is against the rules. If you want to quote multiple people in one post, you can click on the + symbol to the left of Quote. Also, you can go back and edit a post instead of making a new one. Just trying to help you out, seeing that you are new around here. :)

I appreciate the advice, thx :)

2 minutes ago, xennial446 said:

I appreciate the advice, thx :)

No problem. ;)

10 hours ago, Loading said:

What's part 6 excuse for breaking a door down using the tip of his spear with an overhead swing?

It's a game.

If we want to be ultra realistic about it, I wouldn't want to use any of the weapons in the game. I would use a battering ram against fortified doors.

Because a spear has shown to do more damage to a door than a pair of shears?......