Sign in to follow this  
CPLhicks31

What makes a good map?

To you, what makes a good map? Is it a wide open, Jason friendly map like Jarvis? Is it a crammed, objective friendly map like Packanack?

Is it Atmosphere like Higgins Haven and the newly added Pinehurst? Or are you just partial to your favorite map from the films? Or maybe, you prefer the maps that spawn with action packed main houses like Higgins and Packanack, or neat structures like barns...

For me, its about atmosphere so I love both varations of Higgins (That eerie river splits the map like a bleeding wound). I love the way there are lots of little clusters of cabins, but the clusters themselves are isolated. As Jason, if you teleport to one area you are almost assured to find a counsellor, and they have lots of cabins to fortify and juke BUT, once those cabins run out they have a lot of ground to cover to make it to the next cluster. This makes for interesting gameplay.

What makes a good map to you?

EDIT: I'm not necessarily asking what your favorite map is, but what traits of the maps draw you in.

I think the best maps have a balance of aesthetics and planning...that's why I love playing the Higgins Haven map so much. It's got excellent reproductions of the lodge/barn/lake, but it's just the right size (not gonna mention the small maps)...good placement/amount of cabins, it encourages diverse strategies. See, with Pinehurst, it's amazing looking...definitely their most accurate/grand map yet...but it's not as fun as Higgins and Packanack because it's so big, it doesn't have much of a flow. 

Then there's maps like Jarvis House...great for Jason, tougher for counselors. Crystal Lake is a great neutral area...very wide open, that's a nice change. It's really interesting how they've put these maps together and how we have to adapt for each.

I don't like is Higgins Haven..... for obvious reason, lol.  But honestly, I like the variety and challenges all maps give.  I think Pinehurst is my favorite though, because it's different and unique comparatively to all other maps.  I kinda dislike the small maps, especially Pack small, as they are unfairly easy if a team was going for the Jason kill.

I like atmosphere. Higgins is fun. I think I will like Pinehurst more as time goes on, and I get more used to it. I've really had some tense moments on that map, due to the darkness and the fact that it is so spread out. It is definitely one of the harder maps when playing a "fixer" (my favorite). I prefer the tenser environments whether I'm Jason or a counselor.

7 hours ago, CoyT92 said:

I think the best maps have a balance of aesthetics and planning...that's why I love playing the Higgins Haven map so much. It's got excellent reproductions of the lodge/barn/lake, but it's just the right size (not gonna mention the small maps)...good placement/amount of cabins, it encourages diverse strategies. See, with Pinehurst, it's amazing looking...definitely their most accurate/grand map yet...but it's not as fun as Higgins and Packanack because it's so big, it doesn't have much of a flow. 

Then there's maps like Jarvis House...great for Jason, tougher for counselors. Crystal Lake is a great neutral area...very wide open, that's a nice change. It's really interesting how they've put these maps together and how we have to adapt for each.

If they added bikes to Pinehurst would that help, I wonder.

Higgins Haven is my favorite. Great atmosphere, some cool unique elements (barn, cemetery etc) and I like how the lake divides through the map. It's not too cluttered, or spaced out. It has a good balance whether you are a counselor or Jason.

A good map has to be fair for both sides. 

Most people hate Crystal Lake because aesthetically it looks boring to them. But the reality is that the map was their first creation and doesn't seem to suffer from having two objectives next to each other.

1. Parts should spawn in a certain vicinity to the objective to be fair to both Jason and the counselors

(Jarvis and Pinehurst are bad maps imo because of this spawning objectives on completely different ends of the map with already increased cabins to have to check through)

2. Cabins should be spaced out in a way that you can be able to get to them without wasting your entire stamina bar

(Jarvis again doesn't do this)

3. Spawning a 4 seat as well as a 2 seat vehicle

(Looking at you Jarvis and Pinehurst...)

4. Aesthetically look pleasing

(Why I love Higgins so much)

I honestly never noticed if a map is large or crammed. Most times I'm focused in seeing the game being played. But I like the environment colors of the Jarvis and Pinehurst maps. For me, it is a great characteristic when choosing a favourite map. Jarvis House because it's dark.  Pinehurst because... I don't know, but there's something really creepy about that map (maybe it is the mist?).

In terms of balance, I think Higgins Haven and Crystal Lake are the best ones. They're pretty average aesthetically but the item spawns are working and the cabins are well placed.

I think what makes a map "good" is how it works (and if it's working too). Aesthetics doesn't matter in this case.

10 hours ago, CPLhicks31 said:

To you, what makes a good map?

For me it is pretty simple (in no particular order of importance):

1. Atmosphere (how does it make you feel to be on the map).

2. Detail (to draw you in; see #1 as well)

3. Objective spawn dispersion and options. (Jarvis was weak in this to start as an example; the phone only appearing at the bottom of the map)

4. Avenues of ingress and egress. (Jarvis suffers from this a bit because of the lack of cabins in the centerline of the map.) Cabins need to have spacing to challenge counselors to manage their Stamina, but offer reachable distances to keep counselors from having to follow set "pathways". Jarvis map is essentially a circle. The north-south passage is very tenuous and limited. It is rather easy for Jason to hunt on a map where counselors will most likely have to move very specific paths to have shelter and cover from attack.

For me the size of the map isn't so important if the counselors can vary their approaches and tactics. Pinehurst is fantastic for this; despite being huge. Sure bigger maps favor Jason because of ferry distances for objective items, but if spawn dispersion is properly done, and you coordinate as a team, it is a non-issue. Smaller maps favor counselors because of the nature of spawn dispersion / avenues of ingress and egress.

If you want a great map, you just need these four things in a good balance to make it fun and enjoyable (my opinion). Randomization on cabin spawns also helps dial up replay factor.

• Like 1

@Alkavian This! Changing the subject a bit, what map has the most detail for you? Mine is Jarvis (combined with the dark and colourful environment).

I do think Jarvis and Pinehurst should spawn 4 seaters, instead of sometimes 2 seaters. Peiple rarely go for the cars on these maps, deeming it not worth it to ferry parts over the entirity of the map just for two seats, so you end up with a ton of players just picking a cabin in a random corner of the map and hiding.

• Like 1

As long as it's nice and shiny and doesn't make players drive the car into the lake, give me abandon camps lol 

2 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

I do think Jarvis and Pinehurst should spawn 4 seaters, instead of sometimes 2 seaters. Peiple rarely go for the cars on these maps, deeming it not worth it to ferry parts over the entirity of the map just for two seats, so you end up with a ton of players just picking a cabin in a random corner of the map and hiding.

What about making a new thread about which fixes would make the Jarvis and Pinehurst maps more viable?

6 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

What about making a new thread about which fixes would make the Jarvis and Pinehurst maps more viable?

Sure, I can do that.

35 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Alkavian This! Changing the subject a bit, what map has the most detail for you? Mine is Jarvis (combined with the dark and colourful environment).

I like Pinehurst/Jarvis best for detail. For gameplay. I like Higgins Large, Packanack Large, and Pinehurst.

34 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

The big maps typically have many boat spawn locations. I'd like to see the option for either a 4 seater + 2 seater, 4 seater + boat, or more commonly 2 seater + boat + boat/ 2 seater + 2 seater + boat. If there are more objectives to police on a huge map, it may make them more amicable to counselor mains and give Jason a slightly tougher time holding the line.

I also hope they don't make any more big maps. While I love them, I think a standard large map is about right for overall balancing. The small maps have issues too in regards to being too easy for counselors. The may want to consider *reducing* the vehicle seating spawn rate on those. The maps are a bit too tiny to spread parts out enough to make it more challenging.

I think Grendel / Lazarus / Manhatten / Abandoned Camp / and any future maps should be the standard size. Let the handful of small and huge maps be there to alter the dynamic.

2 hours ago, Alkavian said:

I like Pinehurst/Jarvis best for detail. For gameplay. I like Higgins Large, Packanack Large, and Pinehurst.

The big maps typically have many boat spawn locations. I'd like to see the option for either a 4 seater + 2 seater, 4 seater + boat, or more commonly 2 seater + boat + boat/ 2 seater + 2 seater + boat. If there are more objectives to police on a huge map, it may make them more amicable to counselor mains and give Jason a slightly tougher time holding the line.

I also hope they don't make any more big maps. While I love them, I think a standard large map is about right for overall balancing. The small maps have issues to in regards to being too easy for counselors. The may want to consider *reducing* the vehicle seating spawn rate on those. The maps are a bit too tiny to spread parts out enough to make it more challenging.

I think Grendel / Lazarus / Manhatten / Abandoned Camp / and any future maps should be the standard size. Let the handful of small and huge maps be there to alter to dynamic.

I concur, regular sized maps ought to be priority going forward.

Two boats on Jarvis is a very interesting thought.