Sign in to follow this  
Jay Shen

Combat Stance

I like this feature, but could you please take out the auto-lock? It's better if we control the direction  we're facing with our mouse.  Thanks.

• Like 3

Agreed.

And another thing - wouldn't it be good if combat stance was not a toggle?

Then you could select it by just holding your finger down - it would be a lot more secure / precise than the dreaded toggle.

Auto-lock can be good or bad depending on the situation / how it’s used. IMO it should be able to be toggled itself.

There are currently 2 empty spots for additional actions while in Combat Stance - throwing knife, and grab. Neither are functional in CS so for example on PS4, auto-lock on/off should be assigned to L1, and free swing attack eg. horizontal attack should be assigned to L2. Better option than the current system which requires a light tap of R2 in CS to execute the free swing attack, which should really just be on the opposite trigger.

The CS toggle, though a bit clunky, is fine after a bit of practice. Which I would highly recommend for many reasons, including Block into Grab for example which is a great tactic. Combat stance can also be thought of as a way to correct your position in any situation. It should not be used to stay in (in most cases) but should be used in an on/off way for various purposes. Enter CS, perform function, exit out.

This is just from Jason perspective but same applies to counselor.

Its clunky but you get used to it. If you change the layout everyone will have to relearn them again which I don't like. 

By the time Jason has gone into combat stance and begun blocking he has either already been stunned or the counselor has run away. 

By the time a counselor has gone into combat stance and attempted a dodge, they have either been hit or grabbed by Jason.

Half the time in combat stance, as counselor you lock onto your team mates, and as Jason you lock onto a counselor when your trying to smash a door down without the counselor hitting you through it, and hit the wall of the cabin instead of the door.

My point is, the combat stance sucks. Is it really necessary? 

Couldn't we just have a simple block button? More details on quick block idea in the below post 

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/17261-quick-block-for-jason-to-stop-constant-stunning/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FunMonster said:

By the time Jason has gone into combat stance and begun blocking he has either already been stunned or the counselor has run away. 

By the time a counselor has gone into combat stance and attempted a dodge, they have either been hit or grabbed by Jason.

Half the time in combat stance, as counselor you lock onto your team mates, and as Jason you lock onto a counselor when your trying to smash a door down without the counselor hitting you through it, and hit the wall of the cabin instead of the door.

Couldn't we just have a simple block button?

On ps4 this would be R1, which is only used in unison with the circle button to select powers as Jason. That means he would be blocking as he chooses a place to morph to. Not a problem.

As counselor, R1 and triangle brings up the emote wheel, but alone R1 does nothing. 

Can't R1 just be a block button, a quick response when you see a counselor or Jason taking a swing? 

Surely this would add way more balance than swapping between nerfing Jason or nerfing the counselors.

do i need to remind you that this is a horror game not an action game ? its not NioH or Dark souls if you really care about combat system i recommend you to play Tekken or WWE2K18

17 minutes ago, King Darius said:

do i need to remind you that this is a horror game not an action game ? its not NioH or Dark souls if you really care about combat system i recommend you to play Tekken or WWE2K18

I'm looking at it more as Jason. When counselors are trying to hit me through doors, I'll hit combat stance. The transition time back and forth makes it pretty useless. 

11 minutes ago, King Darius said:

That is partly my point. It's set up as though your gonna do that shit when a nearly invincible madman is chasing you. You either surprise him and stun him or he lands a hit on you. However, If you are playing the game a Jason without using the combat system during close quarter encounter, your probably getting stunned ALL THE TIME and wondering why. A block is needed, and a simple button press would give either side more control over each encounter, and it would then be down to skill, and not because Jason or the counselors are nerfed.

33 minutes ago, FunMonster said:

That is partly my point. It's set up as though your gonna do that shit when a nearly invincible madman is chasing you. You either surprise him and stun him or he lands a hit on you. However, If you are playing the game a Jason without using the combat system during close quarter encounter, your probably getting stunned ALL THE TIME and wondering why. A block is needed, and a simple button press would give either side more control over each encounter, and it would then be down to skill, and not because Jason or the counselors are nerfed.

i agree that combat system is a total disaster in this game , my grand mother combat mechanics is more realistic than this game .

but its pointless to talk about it maybe next 2-3 years after we got some playable servers without getting connection error every 10 minutes . you know devs are currently busy with making part x jason , superman jason , female jason or maybe adding alien as a guest character so yeah f**k other important things right ? who cares everybody hyped about new jason who probably cant run , less traps , less hitpoints so yeah leave devs and allow them to focus .

19 hours ago, FunMonster said:

Couldn't we just have a simple block button?

On ps4 this would be R1, which is only used in unison with the circle button to select powers as Jason. That means he would be blocking as he chooses a place to morph to. Not a problem.

As counselor, R1 and triangle brings up the emote wheel, but alone R1 does nothing. 

Can't R1 just be a block button, a quick response when you see a counselor or Jason taking a swing? 

Surely this would add way more balance than swapping between nerfing Jason or nerfing the counselors.

Yup combat stance needs to go. I even told GunMedia Ben that dodge, heavy attack and block should all be assigned to keys/buttons. We also don't need Jason and Councilors to move so slow out of block they can't land a counterattack.

Combat stance is way too slow and clunky to be of much use. And for some reason I keep entering combat stance while chasing down those dirty, dirty teens. :P

A quick block would be nice. 

Leave combat stance alone and just remove the auto locking feature.

This game is approaching the 1 year mark. No point in drastically changing the control methods when I have already adapted and gotten comfortable with.

7 hours ago, Loading said:

No point in drastically changing the control methods when I have already adapted and gotten comfortable with.

There wouldn't have to be a drastic change. On ps4 (as Jason) you have to click in R3 analogue stick to go into combat stance, then press R1 to block. You could leave combat stance on R3 for those players that like it, but just have a quick block if you press R1. R1 does nothing on its own. This would give players the option of combat stance or quick block. 

With having to press the analogue stick in and then press a button, its too slow for the blocking procedure. All counselors have to do is a quick swipe and the blocking system is too fidgety for Jason to respond in time. That is why most people don't bother trying to block as Jason, why they would rather take their odds with a quick weapon swipe at the tap of ONE button and see if they get a lucky shot in. THAT IS WHY JASON IS GETTING STUNNED SO MUCH! 

Imagine, your chasing a counselor down the road and they take a swipe, tap R1 quickly and you got a decent chance at blocking in time. 

Repeat same scenario, press down on analogue stick then, whoops, too late, your ass is laid on the ground and the counselor is tea bagging you.

Its utter rubbish. We need quick block if Jason is going to stop getting stunned 20 times every match.

As counselor on ps4 R1 gives you a rear view so that you can see if Jason is behind you. This is fairly useless anyway. If Jason is chasing you, your fear usually dims the light so much you can't see much, and you also end up running into walls and rocks and trees etc. I would take a quick block button as counselor over the useless look back.

Even if people didn't want to lose that as counselor, there is no reason why they cannot add a quick block for Jason. It would fix the god awful stunning issue that is ruining the game right now.

2 hours ago, FunMonster said:

There wouldn't have to be a drastic change. On ps4 (as Jason) you have to click in R3 analogue stick to go into combat stance, then press R1 to block. You could leave combat stance on R3 for those players that like it, but just have a quick block if you press R1. R1 does nothing on its own. This would give players the option of combat stance or quick block.

I'm starting to think maybe this could work. However, a "non-combat stance block" should be temporary, like 1 second long, so it would have to be timed, thus allowing combat stance to still serve a purpose, provided the lock-on feature is removed to improve its functionality.

-Defense could have a 3 second delay between those kinds of blocks while normal defense has a 2 second delay. Also, I think it would only apply to Jason's left and front sides, so that he'd still be vulnerable from the right and the back, so that combat stance would retain value since it appears to have a 360 degree block radius. And maybe while quick blocks would negate stuns, they would be slightly less efficient at deflecting damage.

You should already be in combat stance when you are closing in and your guard up. I do this all the time and rarely get stun this way.

When you block their swings, you have two options. Cancel the block by pressing the sprint and grab them before they flee. Or stay in combat stance and counter with a light attack. Both methods will work as they are fast enough counters as long as they are still in recovery frames and did not sprint immediately afterwards. You still win either way because blocking builds rage quickly and they are another swing away from breaking their bats.

If they decide not to attack and run instead, that's when you can hit them with throwing knives. Learn how to get good with throwing them especially in close range. Use Jason right shoulder as an aiming assist and you can fire away fast enough before they can react to it. Once they are limping they are force to react or die. A lot of people likes to jog just out of reach from Jason. Punish them with those knives and make them try something else. Collect knives. Make sure you never run out of them.

If all else fails, you should have shift ready and can try another attempt at it with shift grabs or shift swings. Still find it hard to get them? Morph away, turn sense on, stalk and shift at them.

There are too many Jasons who does none of these methods. That's why they are getting bully and stun. Combat stance is needed for breaking doors down faster, attacking it at different angles and avoiding counselors trying to nail you from inside. Again, I would only suggest removing the auto lock feature for both Jason and counselor. It also allows me to double trap the phone easier then trying to do a 360 degree turn to place a second one behind the front trap.

I'm not against a block button outside of combat stance. I figure it might help Jason a bit too much though. Counselors need a way in to hit Jason at some point.

2 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

a "non-combat stance block" should be temporary, like 1 second long, so it would have to be timed,

2 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

And maybe while quick blocks would negate stuns, they would be slightly less efficient at deflecting damage.

This is what I was thinking. If you maybe get hit and have a 1-2 sec little recoil animation. It gives them a little distance compared to the regular stun time, with them already being in the next cabin with a new weapon and the door locked and a bear trap set by the time you find them again.

29 minutes ago, Loading said:

You should already be in combat stance when you are closing in and your guard up.

Every time I use combat stance the counselor sprints off. 

43 minutes ago, Loading said:

You should already be in combat stance when you are closing in and your guard up. I do this all the time and rarely get stun this way.

When you block their swings, you have two options. Cancel the block by pressing the sprint and grab them before they flee. Or stay in combat stance and counter with a light attack. Both methods will work as they are fast enough counters as long as they are still in recovery frames and did not sprint immediately afterwards. You still win either way because blocking builds rage quickly and they are another swing away from breaking their bats.

If they decide not to attack and run instead, that's when you can hit them with throwing knives. Learn how to get good with throwing them especially in close range. Use Jason right shoulder as an aiming assist and you can fire away fast enough before they can react to it. Once they are limping they are force to react or die. A lot of people likes to jog just out of reach from Jason. Punish them with those knives and make them try something else. Collect knives. Make sure you never run out of them.

If all else fails, you should have shift ready and can try another attempt at it with shift grabs or shift swings. Still find it hard to get them? Morph away, turn sense on, stalk and shift at them.

There are too many Jasons who does none of these methods. That's why they are getting bully and stun. Combat stance is needed for breaking doors down faster, attacking it at different angles and avoiding counselors trying to nail you from inside. Again, I would only suggest removing the auto lock feature for both Jason and counselor. It also allows me to double trap the phone easier then trying to do a 360 degree turn to place a second one behind the front trap.

I'm not against a block button outside of combat stance. I figure it might help Jason a bit too much though. Counselors need a way in to hit Jason at some point.

All this complicated nonsense when you could just quick block with one button and not get stunned all the time. Its the constant stunning i'm talking about avoiding with the quick block. I'm not bothered if they run off, just sick of getting stunned constantly and not having a quick defense.

Like I said above, if you are hit in quick block and you get a 2 sec recoil stun. Not so you can just block-grab or block-hit. A little recoil then back to the chase.

Entering every single encounter in combat stance is just way too time consuming. Whilst your pratting about trying to slay a camper 'the right way' and squaring up to them in melee combat, there are other campers fixing stuff and escaping. 

• Thanks 1

Every time I use combat stance the counselor sprints off. 

Then exit combat stance and throw knives at them.

All this complicated nonsense when you could just quick block with one button and not get stunned all the time. Its the constant stunning i'm talking about avoiding with the quick block. I'm not bothered if they run off, just sick of getting stunned constantly and not having a quick defense.

Like I said above, if you are hit in quick block and you get a 2 sec recoil stun. Not so you can just block-grab or block-hit. A little recoil then back to the chase.

Entering every single encounter in combat stance is just way too time consuming. Whilst your pratting about trying to slay a camper 'the right way' and squaring up to them in melee combat, there are other campers fixing stuff and escaping. 

Nonsense. Nothing is complicated. If I can adapt so can anybody else. 

4 hours ago, Loading said:

You should already be in combat stance when you are closing in and your guard up

So this is a rule now.

as long as they are still in recovery frames and did not sprint immediately afterwards.

that's when you can hit them with throwing knives.

you should have shift ready and can try another attempt at it with shift grabs or shift swings. Still find it hard to get them? Morph away, turn sense on, stalk and shift at them.

Telling me how the game works (like I don't know all this already) is pointless. I understand you like your methods. We all have our own. I have mine, and I think the combat mechanics would just be a lot less clunky if you could just press one button to block instead of two. It would literally cut reaction time in half.