Which is the most beginner-friendly "starter" counselor?   

98 members have voted

1. 1. Best beginner counselor?

• Chad
    • Vanessa
    • Jenny
    • Kenny

From the 4 counselors that are unlocked from the beginning, who do you think are the most beginner-friendly? 

I'd lean towards Kenny or Jenny; Kenny because of his 5 in every stat and Jenny because she isn't detected too early, giving the player more time to explore (though I'd still prefer A.J. for this, but level 4 fortunately isn't too high).

Chad and Vanessa are probably the more difficult choices because the player still has to become familiar with stamina/fear management and the combat mechanics. 

What do you think? 

@final_gal Honestly, I would think Kenny might the best choice as a beginner because of his equal stats across the board. He seems like the counselor to use just to learn the mechanics. Of course, during the Beta and launch, I chose Vanessa purely because of her speed and stam, and the fact that I didn't really understand how detrimental those pesky noise pings could be to my fellow counselors. :lol: Once I hit level 6, I chose Deb and never looked back. Of course, I usually have counselors and Jason set on random now. But, Deborah is still my favorite counselor to use.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, final_gal said:

From the 4 counselors that are unlocked from the beginning, who do you think are the most beginner-friendly? 

I'd lean towards Kenny or Jenny; Kenny because of his 5 in every stat and Jenny because she isn't detected too early, giving the player more time to explore (though I'd still prefer A.J. for this, but level 4 fortunately isn't too high).

Chad and Vanessa are probably the more difficult choices because the player still has to become familiar with stamina/fear management and the combat mechanics. 

What do you think? 

To start, I'd say Chad or Vanessa. Here's why:

When you're level 1, you don't know any escape techniques or tactics. You're not going to be good at repair. At first, your main mission will be to stay alive until an escape route becomes available. 

So, if you're Vanessa or Chad, you can run like hell to cabins to look for weapons, knives, spray, etc. Then run like hell from Jason if he shows up. You can even help out by protecting repairers to get their jobs done more quickly. You just have to practice your attacks. (Jason's grab can easily beat your swing if you don't time it right.)

By being able to scamper away with faster speed and stamina, you have more of a fighting chance. Once you feel more comfortable with things like repair, you could switch to Deborah or Lachappa, or someone like that.

But at least at first, your ability to EVADE and RUN will do the best to keep you alive for the longest period of time. At least until you get the hang of things.

Good luck!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loading said:

Shelley should be on the list since he doesn't require a level.

Oh, I totally forgot about him :rolleyes: I only had the counselors from release in my head, well I guess he's also beginner-friendly since he's kinda well-rounded 

I’d say Vanessa. That’s who I used. But Kenny looks like he was made specifically for beginner players. 

I am going to link you to the amazing guide of user Rydog on Steam : it is really well written. Take a look at it, you won't waste your time.

Counselor Tier List (data-driven analysis w/ perk advice)

Here is what he has to say about Vanessa :

"Vanessa Jones (runner, bully) is fantastic when it comes to kiting Jason, clearing cabins, and ferrying parts to fixers. She doesn't have Chad's insane weapon durability, but she's very fast, and still reasonably reliable for stunning Jason. She has what is effectively the best cross-section of good stats, but her focus on running and evasion means that good map knowledge and twitch skills are necessary to maximize her talent for wasting Jason's time. One of her biggest contributions to a coordinated team is to be the designated sweater-carrier; a good team can demask Jason and allow her to get to his shack, if they're going for a kill victory. Vanessa is a solid choice for grabbing the sweater, since she can capably defend herself and get away (and her Luck means that she can tank a trapped cabin better than other sweater-carriers, if necessary)."

I'd say Kenny because of his 5/10 stats. He's a solid counselor due to to that, with no major weaknesses or strengths, so he's a good choice to start with to learn how to play counselor.

8 minutes ago, ryusai72 said:

I am going to link you to the amazing guide of user Rydog on Steam : it is really well written. Take a look at it, you won't waste your time.

Counselor Tier List (data-driven analysis w/ perk advice)

Oh boy, not that guide again :unsure: First of all, this needs an update. Secondly, it is kind of biased in that it mostly takes into account TEAM-oriented counselor play (which he has stated himself), which realistically is rarely the case. 

So while A.J. or all-rounders like Adam/Kenny might be trash according to him, they can still be a decent choice in quick play/as a lone wolf. 

An experienced Vanessa is obviously strong and coordinated team of them nearly invincible, but I'm just not sure whether she is beginner-friendly. 

I mained Vanessa until level 6. She definitely helped me get the general concept of the game as well as the map load outs. 

Then I tried Deborah for a few levels, then switched to AJ Mason because of how glorified she was at the time by YouTubers and such. (She also just had the best stats for my play-style as well as good stats in general.) I mained AJ until I unlocked Tiffany. Then I mained the two because of the effects of Lightfoot on them both. Now with update 1.30.18, I have reverted back to Vanessa, because now I personally cherish speed more than I do stealth or repair.

I would have said Kenny, but he's equally good as he is bad.

I'd have to say Kenny, only because during my recent forays as a total and complete n00b (October), he was an ideal counselor to learn the game with due to his balance.  If a player starts out as Chad or Vanessa, you learn basically one type of playstyle, and it can be very limiting to the overall experience.

Of course, as a Lachappa main, I only use anyone else to accomplish achievements that aren't repair related, but to start, Kenny is pretty much ideal, imo.

vanessa, im at level 150 and still use only her.
speed+stamina+perks for speed makes her the best councelor in the whole game.
you can even get use to her shitty fixing, somehow i always fix everything with her.

The thing about Vanessa is that, in order to be truly good with her, you have to expect that you'll piss Jason off to no end. Most beginner players have no friggin clue what they're doing, therefore they won't know things like the turn n' burn fight strategy; baiting Jason to attack first; or even just how to regenerate stamina the fastest; all of which is important because Vanessa will have to fight Jason on occasion for stamina boosts if you end up running away from cabins on accident. Most Vanessas I see at early levels do things like sprint when Jason isn't even around or fight Jason without really knowing how to.

Worst case scenario is the newbie Vanessa starts running alongside the stealth counselors because she wants strength in numbers, whereas the stealth counselor is going to immediately assume it's a troll who created a new account because their old one got reported for being a Jason helper.

If anything, the best starting counselor would be Kenny, followed up by Shelly. Those two have balanced gameplay stats that allows the new players to figure out what exactly they want to do, and eventually inquisitive players will look up guides on getting better at the game.

I used to main Jenny, because she fits the final girl trope and I thought that would help me in the beginning :P

Also, her composure made 1 get out of Jason's grasp without a pocket knife feasible too.

I actually started out with Jenny and I have to say it is really fun surviving as her. She has a lot more playing against her than the other counselors and when you do escape, you feel you've achieved something lol

Jenny. I remember my first match, I hid all match until the last few minutes, where I ran from Jason. Long story short, every new players first instinct is too hide. Composure helps with that style. No one knows what an objective is or what gas is. Unless they saw videos.

• Like 1

NONE.  they are all sucky in their own ways and it takes YOU to make them better.   I generally play as a male character, even though i play as a male-CIS character.  (im autosexual but biologically gay) I play as i play which pisses people off, but they can go f themselves.   

I'd say Kenny.

Sure, Vanessa and Chad can run the hell away a lot easier. But for an overall experience, to learn how to do a little bit of everything, Kenny is custom made to be a trainer character.

• Like 1