Kodiak

Community poll: How does it feel to be Jason?

Community poll on how it feels to play Jason in the current patch  

162 members have voted

1. 1. When you play Jason, how do you feel?

• I feel powerful as Jason, like I can take on everything.
    • I feel okay as Jason. I think my skills can see me through every game.
    • I feel weak as Jason. I usually expect groups of counselors to come looking for me.
  2. 2. Is Jason scary or intimidating? Do you run from him, or towards him?

• I think Jason is scary/intimidating. I don't want to try and take him on.
    • I think Jason isn't as scary/intimidating as he once was. I know I can take him on if I need to and I'll probably be fine.
    • I think Jason isn't scary/intimidating at all. I know that I can take him on with no problem.
  3. 3. Do you think it is too easy to defeat Jason?

• No, it's not often that I see Jason being defeated.
    • No, but I see him being defeated often.
    • Yes, I think he is too easy to defeat.

The Jason experience is going to vary by platform and user for a variety of reasons:

Speaking in broad generalities, PC gamers are consistently more "hardcore" than console users.  There's multiple reasons for this, but across multiple titles, this axiom holds up time after time.

The difference between Private and Quick Play matches is a factor as well.  Private matches contain players which know one another's tendencies--usually there's improved coordination by counselors via in game chat or discord server.  Conversely, QqP matches with Randos are a mixed bag: you may have smaller groups within the match, a hodgepodge of individualistic mutes, a lobby full of children (I'm talking <10 years old) with parents coaching them through a match--yes, it happens a LOT on PS4, people relying on flashlight flickers to get your attention, or mic'd up people just looking to have a good time and play the game.  It's rare to find a lobby in QP completely mic'd up, and communication is essential to the experience.

The trade-off in precision of a mouse/keyboard on PC and a controller is offset by the propensity of the PC version to (anecdotally) experience more frequent bugs/glitches.

Overall experience of the player matters too.  I have only played since the retail version came available in October, so my experience with Jason is at it's peak, in terms of the versions I've actually played.  For people here since the beginning, that perception is going to be sharply different.  

There's a lot of variables that shape each player's opinion of game play as Jason or a Counselor, and a deeper dig into the data with a more comprehensive survey would yield information that I imagine would show greater causation and correlation with a large enough sample size.

• Thanks 2

Counselors can sometimes be op and by that I mean literally all are going to have melee weapons on them. If you grab a counselor from the driver seat, you won't be getting that kill I assure you if the other three are waiting with weapons. The patch was supposed to limit pocket knives but I don't notice a difference. 

Limit the melee weapons, prevent counselors from hitting you behind doors glitch, and patch Jason's grab button delay when coming out of shift as well as the combat block and attack buttons. Some of the Jason's have a 2-3 second delay especially Savini when coming out of shift mode to grab. Jason was supposed to be faster? Don't see it sorry. You should be able to kill anyway and it's annoying that you have to move the counselor in a different spot in order for the grab kill icon to appear. 

Crossing my fingers the dedicated servers corrects these errors.

We’re deff back on the right track with this latest patch. I think a few tweaks to the stun mechanic and Jason will truly be a monster that’ll need to be avoided at all costs. COMPLETELY remove the ability to hit Jason through doors and reduce the chance counselors have in stunning Jason(particularly the weaker counselors) and you’re in business. 

Before the last patch I felt like I was Jason every other round and I was having a lot of fun, but I think I was pandering toward the kinds of players most people seem to hate here from the December patch.     I play less as Jason since the last patch, but when when I am it doesn't seem all that much different to me, but I kinda suck at games in general and only play them for entertainment not personal achievement and ego boosting.   I personally find Roy Jason rather dull.  I normally pick the tater sack from part 2, even though that was my least favorite movie in the franchise.

Jason feels better now than he has in months, however the only other tweak I would make (and I suggested it nearly a year ago as well) is DIMINISHING RETURNS ON STUNS.

If Jason is stunned one time, normal stun. If he is stunned a second time within about 6-8 seconds  = half a full stun duration

If Jason is stunned a third time (again within about 6-8 seconds of the previous stun), quarter a full stun duration. After that, no stuns (only interrupts) for maybe 20-30 seconds).

Attacking should be a last resort; if several counselors round Jason to have a stun party, they should have their shit ruined. De-masking and killing Jason should require effort, not 3+ people stun locking Jason (with no counter-play for him). It would make for a more run and gun style, which allows for more variables and chances at good or bad decisions on either parties part. For instance, If J feels he is being lead towards a fight, he can choose to pursue or go do something else. If counselors feel they are running low on stamina they can take the chance at giving him a smack, or keep jogging away. This also allows for fear to mean something again, because they'd be using stamina to run when he was stun immune, which again discourages this sort of gangbang behavior. 

Seriously, is my memory wrong or back before stuns were reduced in duration, wasn't Jason immune to further damage and stuns for a while after say, taking a pocket knife out of his neck?Granted he couldn't do anything except walk around, but to me that was a better option than knowing you're going to get stunned the moment you get up and not having a single thing to do about it? 

Jason should be immune to all damage and stuns as long as he is unable to move or react due to the sitting up or turning out of a stun animation finishing. Please note this only means immunity from coming out of combat stun animations. If he is in another animation (picking up a knife, breaking fusebox, grabbing someone) he's a free target. But being stun locked in combat shouldn't be a thing.

I am completely fine with Jason being open to hits when he rages through a door. Its a little cheap but fair, considering he has an alternative by breaking the door manually.

I can take or leave stunning Jason through a door, doesn't bother me too much and he can hit counselors through the door as well...so I think its fine.

PS: If the above was added in, I'd be fine if 1 more PK and medspray was added back; lately I've had plenty of games go where I only get one or two in the neck and it just feels too easy to activate kills now. Plus I've seen a lot of limping counselors jogging about...takes the fun out of hunting them so I usually let them go unless they were about to call cops/start car. 

TL;DR: Jason feels like he is in a pretty good spot, but still see too many rounds where killing Jason is the only priority.

I would leave everything as is except modify the one or both of the combat items noted below and add 1 more pk/med spray back to each map.

Jason should have stun immunity while coming out of stun, at least until he is able to move/swing or block again. Stun locking shouldn't be a thing.

Multiple stuns in a short duration should have diminishing returns on duration to prevent deter gangbangs

It sucks to be Jason most of the times.
Too many pocket knives, too much health spray, councelors tbagging you and dancing around you, and calling you a pussy on the mic.
I don't even do grab kill anymore, just slash them, because even if they don't have a pocketknive they rage quit once you grab them.

I think the game's perfect now, it's like last summer except for the Dhalsim's grab.

I just played a good game as Jason, counselor try to beat me, but for completing objective like call the cops or put the battery. If you use well your traps, you have no worries with that.

As a couselor, I'm always scared of Jason, because I play stealth and try to complete repairing with Deborah or A.J for badges and when I ran away with car, my heart still goes really fast :D

So okay, it's not like it used to be the first times I've played, but it's because I play a lot. Remember when we still didn't know about the game and we thought Jason was next to us when sounded the "ki ki ki ma ma ma"

I'm not afraid of Jason. To be honest I never was. And the reason is simple. You can't be scared when people are on mic. How can I be scared when Jason is a squeaker telling me I am going to die in a high pitched voice while the two counselors a cabin away talk about how the Patriots got robbed in the Super Bowl. I respect Jason more since the patch because of the grab buff and pocket knife nerf. As a good Jason player I was mostly clearing the field before the patch. After the patch I am really wiping people out. In a Private match I was still able to kill all but one person who was able to stay one step ahead of me with Jenny. 

The melee system is the big problem this game has. It needs work done on it to be more intuitive and natural. Right now it feels and plays like a mechanic.

• Thanks 1

I just played a game as Jason. Constant chain stunning sucks and is very frustrating, but in this last game... something I have never seen happen before. I could not even swing my weapon when a councilor was in range to hit them. Spamming the attack button on the mouse and nothing, until the councilors backed off out of weapon range. I was also having a hard time hitting anyone with throwing knives, but that one was on me.
    As long as chain stunning can still happen, Jason is a punching bag and nothing more. Some minor stun immunity for Jason is called for to stop this. This behavior will frustrate new players the most as they do not know how to counter anything yet and many may uninstall and never play again, greatly diminishing the number of players in game and they are already lower than I would like to see (at least on Steam). If they will not do that, then how about reversing your fear percentage for chance to stun. A councilor with 100% fear can never stun and 0% fear will always stun no matter what weapon is used. This would at least stop any prolonged bullying of Jason. I understand how hysterical strength works, but I also understand it is near impossible to do anything accurately when hysterical. This is the only buff Jason needs. 
   I am guilty of bullying Jason in this way, but it is almost always in defense of an objective, like the fuse box or protecting someone trying to do repairs or get the car started. I do not go out of my way to stun Jason. Other than the circumstances I just mentioned, I run. Not because I find Jason scary, I am just not a troll. I try to complete objectives and escape, or lacking that opportunity I try to lead Jason on a merry chase so someone else can complete objectives and escape, even if this means sacrificing myself so a total stranger can escape.
   I do not see Jason getting killed very often at all unless someone volunteers to let the councilors kill him, which happens now and again.

46 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

I'm not afraid of Jason.

Exactly. 

I don't find Jason to be scary or intimidating, especially since this is a game.

It was scary for the first couple of rounds of ever playing. But once I realized what all the buttons did I wasn't scared ever again. 

There's still tense and intense moments, but never fear. This game is too much action and not enough ambiance for that.

I think "intense/threatening" would be a better description than "scary/intimidating". 

Unless people are getting scared.....if that's the case then God bless, have fun.  

4 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

Exactly. 

I don't find Jason to be scary or intimidating, especially since this is a game.

It was scary for the first couple of rounds of ever playing. But once I realized what all the buttons did I wasn't scared ever again. 

There's still tense and intense moments, but never fear. This game is too much action and not enough ambiance for that.

I think "intense/threatening" would be a better description than "scary/intimidating". 

Unless people are getting scared.....if that's the case then God bless, have fun.  

I'm not saying your wrong in this comment, it may not effect you but when your in a cabin alone and then you hear the music blast in your hear, it scares you lol The stalk really does help as well, I've gotten scared by a good player who used that stalk well. So you have matches where Jason isn't scary and then ones where your wetting your pants because he's toying with you. That's why I agree stalk would be nice to have on right at the start, gives those who love to stalk a chance to really pull off some scary moments. 

Jason feels better, (the knives and speed help regain lost time) but there are still a couple of key issues:

- It remains too easy to run around with 4 Med Sprays at a time due to the Medic perk. (Hypochondriac helps exacerbate the issue but is nowhere near as egregious as "double literally all the healing you come across".)

-The hit detection and control bugs function too often as additional "get out of a jail free" cards. It's immensely frustrating to instantly go from having a counselor dead to rights to wasting 5-10 seconds because of the "your weapon missed and now it's stuck in the walls lol" chacha.

52 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

So you have matches where Jason isn't scary and then ones where your wetting your pants because he's toying with you

There are definite jump scares and moments of intensity but there's no lingering feeling of dread.  There's not enough ambiance in this game for fear. And the music is too uplifting and exciting. 

A friend of mine had it set up where he can play the game and play music at the same time cleanly. In a private match everybody shut their in-game music off and he would play soundtrack music from Halloween (not the main theme) in replacement of Jason's music. He would decide when to play it but he kept it similar to how the game works.

With no music, running through the woods and looking for shit finally felt scary and the John Carpenter Halloween score made Jason feel ominous and scary for sure. It gave me a feeling that lasted after he would leave the scene. 

That's what I would need to be scared.

Maybe the Psycho themed music should be used for menus and selection screens and new music should be written for Jason that's more downbeat and threatening. Make Jason feel more like a giant heavy monster instead of an angry personal trainer  

3 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

There are definite jump scares and moments of intensity but there's no lingering feeling of dread.  There's not enough ambiance in this game for fear. And the music is too uplifting and exciting. 

A friend of mine had it set up where he can play the game and play music at the same time cleanly. In a private match everybody shut their in-game music off and he would play soundtrack music from Halloween (not the main theme) in replacement of Jason's music. He would decide when to play it but he kept it similar to how the game works.

With no music, running through the woods and looking for shit finally felt scary and the John Carpenter Halloween score made Jason feel ominous and scary for sure. It gave me a feeling that lasted after he would leave the scene. 

That's what I would need to be scared.

Maybe the Psycho themed music should be used for menus and selection screens and new music should be written for Jason that's more downbeat and threatening. Make Jason feel more like a giant heavy monster instead of an angry personal trainer  

Just play the X-Files music and I'll cry like a little girl.

I am invincible as Jason, of course I have been attacked by groups of counselors and demasked but they have never killed me, the key for being jason is to stay in calm, and kill them 1 by 1 with patience, dont desperate and go to the mob, learn to use his abilities combos, stalk + shift for example, etc.  once you know how to play as Jason you are unstoppable, in december patch was the same but in this patch is much easier, I dont know whats the problem really, just learn how to play correctly as Jason and you will see you will never be defeated

8 minutes ago, UlfKarl said:

stay in calm

Stay in calm, or stay in calmbat stance?

8 minutes ago, UlfKarl said:

and kill them 1 by 1 with patience

I know Shift, Sense, Stalk and Morph. How do I activate Patience? Or is Patience the name one of his kills?

1 minute ago, WashingtonJones said:

Stay in calm? Or stay in calmbat stance?

I know Shift, Sense, Stalk and Morph. How do I activate Patience? Or is Patience the name one of his kills?

using your brain maybe?

1 minute ago, UlfKarl said:

using your brain maybe?

He did that, it was beautiful, lol. I need this patience kill or power how do I get it.

Just now, UlfKarl said:

using your brain maybe?

Wait...he has a map, and now he has a brain too? What button config gets that to work? 
Jesus Mary and Joseph, nobody tells me anything!

Thanks UlfKarl. Has anyone ever told you that your name reminds them of the sound they make when they accidentally drink rotten milk? 

• Haha 1

I feel like once you've been playing for a while the problem is you got good at the game and know how to survive longer,fight jason,and escape of course its gonna lose some of its fear factor.Its like when you play a game like outlast and finish it you play it again and you know exactly what happens you know where the jumpscares are so it doesnt really feel scary anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, anon said:

I feel like once you've been playing for a while the problem is you got good at the game and know how to survive longer,fight jason,and escape of course its gonna lose some of its fear factor.Its like when you play a game like outlast and finish it you play it again and you know exactly what happens you know where the jumpscares are so it doesnt really feel scary anymore.

agree, no matter what they do, if they increase grab length, or make Jason even faster, or if they make him immune to all stuns Jason will never be scarier in this game anymore, there will be more rage quits only and more boredom.

I think everyone in here the first time we played this game we were very scared and stressed by Jason presence, but with the time the fear just disappeared because of the monotony of the game, we learned how to play, etc.

I honestly believe Jason needs a work around when there is multiple counselors....I honestl hope for a double grab type kill system but if not why not a quicker swinging or more traps? Hell even strength up the strength abilities of Jason.

I feel okay as Jason and that my skills get me through each game.

I never try to take Jason on, I always run from him. 

I have never seen a Jason kill. I almost took part in one, however.