Kodiak

Community poll: How does it feel to be Jason?

Community poll on how it feels to play Jason in the current patch  

159 members have voted

1. 1. When you play Jason, how do you feel?

• I feel powerful as Jason, like I can take on everything.
    • I feel okay as Jason. I think my skills can see me through every game.
    • I feel weak as Jason. I usually expect groups of counselors to come looking for me.
  2. 2. Is Jason scary or intimidating? Do you run from him, or towards him?

• I think Jason is scary/intimidating. I don't want to try and take him on.
    • I think Jason isn't as scary/intimidating as he once was. I know I can take him on if I need to and I'll probably be fine.
    • I think Jason isn't scary/intimidating at all. I know that I can take him on with no problem.
  3. 3. Do you think it is too easy to defeat Jason?

• No, it's not often that I see Jason being defeated.
    • No, but I see him being defeated often.
    • Yes, I think he is too easy to defeat.

Hello everyone. The most recent patch has brought about some changes to Jason, ones which I personally think have made playing Jason more fun than he was in the previous patch. However, after a few recent games as Jason on Steam, I've come to realize that Jason still doesn't feel strong enough. This of course is my personal opinion, and here's why:

• Groups of counselors can still smack him about far too easily. I've been Jason about 6 times in the last week or so, and (honestly) in half of the games I've played, there are just bunches of counselors grouping up together to try and de-mask me. They hardly go for objectives anymore.
  • Counselors aren't scared of him. Most of the time I've seen people running towards me rather than away. 
  • He can be chain stunned. There's nothing you can do whilst you're laying on the ground waiting to get up, and if a counselor is standing there with a baseball bat, you can bet that they're waiting to whack you with it the moment the recovery frames have ended.

This has led me to my opinion of Jason not being strong enough. I do indeed think that he's strong enough against any individual counselor, but as a group I feel they're too strong. I have yet to be killed as Jason even at 105 so I don't think it's a case of 'git gud' as some would say. There have indeed been a few instances where people have come very close (as in Tommy standing waiting with the machete whilst I spam the button to shift before the sweater stun hits kind of close), but I remember hearing from one of the developers during a Q&A session at PAX (I think) that killing Jason was supposed to be a 1 in 75 or something occurrence. 

Now, to the point of this thread. There are plenty of threads about proposed tweaks to Jason and the counselors, but I have one simple question: How does it feel to be Jason? Do you feel strong as him? Do you feel he's weaker than he should be? Not scary enough? Post how you feel about playing Jason, let's get a general community consensus for the developers to see.

How you should answer the poll

As you can see, there are 3 separate questions. I have included 3 different answers to each one, and I would like you to answer all 3 questions please. If you would rather only answer specific ones, then that is no problem.

Each question can be answered with one choice; it isn't a multiple choice poll. Please choose the answer that is closest to how you feel about playing Jason in his current state, and if you want to post why then please do below. Your answer need not reflect on your skill as a player; you could be very good at playing Jason but still feel that groups of counselors are too strong. I chose that as my answer.

I will emphasize that this is not a thread for discussing balance and what should/shouldn't be done to fix any issues. This is a discussion about how it feels to play Jason. Suggested fixes and such can be discussed in other threads.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

As Jason, I should not be afraid of groups of counselors who try and stun me, but I am because it's still too easy for counselors to gang up and stun me.

• Like 2

Poll 1 Question 2 would be it for me. I'm not the best Jason player but I feel with enough time into the game I can get better.

Poll 2. Question 1 I don't see myself going for Jason as often like I use too. I tend to stay back and when I do go at him I'm always risking death. 

Poll 3. Question 1 I haven't seen Jason defeated as of yet since this update, I've played with a group and not one player killed him but only two or three escaped each round except for one, everyone escaped because he was new so I don't count that one. 

I always felt powerful as Jason. ( maybe because I think I’m good with him. )

Jason is definitely a lot more intimidating. I find myself going to fight Jason a lot less.

I’ve only killed Jason once since the patch. That’s good.

Poll 1. Question 2 I still don’t feel mighty powerful as Jason but I’m confident in my skill and knowledge while playing as Jason.

Poll 2. Question 2 I know how to fight Jason only if I need to but if not I’m running in the other direction.

Poll 3. Question 3 With a well coordinated group you’re more then likely being killed as Jason. So yes, I think it’s to easy to kill Jason as of right now. 

What surprises me is the second poll and I think it actually comes down to the Jason. Jason is actually stronger than he's been for a while.....a while. Release Jason was maybe a bit stronger ability wise because of the grab length? But with the limited weapons and knives, I find it very odd that people think they can take him on. I would honestly doubt people feel confident against a good Jason player.

• Like 1

1. I feel okay playing as Jason and know I will continue to improve. It doesn't feel like I can "take on everything" though.

2. I'd prefer to avoid him but if he shows up it's probably going to be fine, and this is when I'm alone. In a group of 3? In that case I almost don't care at all. Speaking for others in a sense, only evidenced by a certain tactic, seeing counselors like Vanessa, Chad, or Brandon actually follow Jason in matches to clock him whenever he attempts anything, I would say there's no fear of him at all for a some players. 

3. Yes. Kill groups can chain-stun Jason and demask him while he's locked quite easily. Getting the sweater is a cinch for any coordinated group. He can also get chain-stunned for Tommy and Sweater Vanessa to get to him extremely fast. The issue is compounded on small maps. Not to mention most people can get to his shack blindfolded at this rate. 

1 minute ago, deadpaww said:

But with the limited weapons and knives, I find it very odd that people think they can take him on.

If you could take him on at launch, you can take him on now. The "limited weapons and knives [and sprays]" are only limited compared to the December 2017 patch. There are more of all of these now than there were at any time before that so-called minor increase.

Chain stunning, to me, is what makes Jason feel merely ok in power rather than great. Jason needs a way to deal with chain stunning more effectively, and while reducing the number of wrenches did help a little, more needs to be done in that area. Like Jason becoming more resistant to stuns over a period of time if counselors attempt to stun him.

It doesn't help his cause that he doesn't have any real way to deal with a group of counselor attacking him all at once either.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

If you could take him on at launch, you can take him on now. The "limited weapons and knives [and sprays]" are only limited compared to the December 2017 patch. There are more of all of these now than there were at any time before that so-called minor increase.

What do you mean by take him on exactly? Anyone can take him on and maybe hit him, run him around a bit....but how long? He's very strong.

20 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Chain stunning, to me, is what makes Jason feel merely ok in power rather than great. Jason needs a way to deal with chain stunning more effectively, and while reducing the number of wrenches did help a little, more needs to be done in that area. Like Jason becoming more resistant to stuns over a period of time if counselors attempt to stun him.

It doesn't help his cause that he doesn't have any real way to deal with a group of counselor attacking him all at once either.

When getting chain stunned, do you utilize combat stance and block? As Jason I actually feel confident in taking on groups, as in I know I can come out on top if they just keep on doing the same thing aka chain stuns

5 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

When getting chain stunned, do you utilize combat stance and block?

This would be a stronger point/strategy if chain stuns couldn't get started with a pocket knife, firecrackers, shot gun, flare gun, or a hit during a canned animation.

12 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

This would be a stronger point/strategy if chain stuns couldn't get started with a pocket knife, firecrackers, shot gun, flare gun, or a hit during a canned animation.

But those items are limited. Counselors can only do the same thing for so long, point is to make it harder. Plus weapons break very fast when Jason blocks hits.

12 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

Also if you just start blocking and swinging, there are limited med sprays and hurt counselors suffer.

2 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

But those items are limited.

Yes, but successful chain-stunning can drastically, and quickly change the direction of the match. 

37 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Hello everyone. The most recent patch has brought about some changes to Jason, ones which I personally think have made playing Jason more fun than he was in the previous patch. However, after a few recent games as Jason on Steam, I've come to realize that Jason still doesn't feel strong enough. This of course is my personal opinion, and here's why:

• Groups of counselors can still smack him about far too easily. I've been Jason about 6 times in the last week or so, and (honestly) in half of the games I've played, there are just bunches of counselors grouping up together to try and de-mask me. They hardly go for objectives anymore.
  • Counselors aren't scared of him. Most of the time I've seen people running towards me rather than away. 
  • He can be chain stunned. There's nothing you can do whilst you're laying on the ground waiting to get up, and if a counselor is standing there with a baseball bat, you can bet that they're waiting to whack you with it the moment the recovery frames have ended.

I 100% agree with you on your bullet points, as while the buffs in the recent update were great, I still see these as issues that need to be rectified. Jason needs to be even scarier.

Just now, DasMurich said:

Yes, but successful chain-stunning can drastically, and quickly change the direction of the match. 

I'll just leave it at the fact I feel a good jason can not only win against chain stuns but have it do more harm than good to the counselors.

I recently played as Jason Pt4 with a room full of Bugsys and a Vanessa. They ganged up on me and used some very well organized teamwork but I managed to pick them all off.  Never could have done that before. I did fall victim to the chain-stun a few times I have to say. Really pissed me off. Overall better Jason play, but not a true 'run like hell from him' version like before. Still, much more fun to play

@deadpaww please avoid double posting. Double/multi-posting is where you post more than 1 reply in a row without someone else posting anything in-between. You can use the edit function to change content in your previous posts whilst waiting for someone else to post something :)

1. I definitely feel more powerful as Jason than before the patch 
  2. Jason is more intimidating than before the patch but a Jason that isn't paying attention or isn't very good can be knocked out easily
  3. He's a little easy to defeat (not taking the sweater glitches into consideration because 7/10 of my Jason kills fail because of this)

Groups can still gang up on Jason but I feel like it should stay that way as that's the only thing counselors have left to defend themselves: team work. Since most people think they'll win if they get the sweater as soon as they spawn (this is really retarded btw) they can be easily defeated. Sure you'll get knocked out quite a few times against a good team but you'll eventually get them. If you already took out Tommy or the sweater girl then you'll have nothing to worry about, if you're paying attention as Jason it's ridiculously easy to cancel an attack by either grabbing or slashing before they complete the swing.

This brings me to a match I had today as Jason. A tiffany stacked with knives decided to get the sweater about 5 minutes into the game. I morphed there as soon I got the notification and she was still in the shack. Since I had a trap left I just put it in front of the doorway and she just ate that trap before I killed here with throwing knives. All the trolls immediately left the match as soon as they realised their fun was already over.

I can still clean out a lobby 8/8 as Jason, but it seems a lot harder. Even with the reduced pocket knives and weapons, med sprays still seem to be in high abundance. I do feel more powerful than before and I don't get stunned near as much. As a counselor, I've never been that great anyways. I always want to fight Jason but have a hard time avoiding the grab because of the hit detection. Even if I swing before he hits L2,  often times I still get grabbed without him getting stunned at all.

2 minutes ago, deathbat96777 said:

I can still clean out a lobby 8/8 as Jason, but it seems a lot harder. Even with the reduced pocket knives and weapons, med sprays still seem to be in high abundance. I do feel more powerful than before and I don't get stunned near as much. As a counselor, I've never been that great anyways. I always want to fight Jason but have a hard time avoiding the grab because of the hit detection. Even if I swing before he hits L2,  often times I still get grabbed without him getting stunned at all.

It seems a lot harder?....like....after the Roy patch?

After the patch,Jason feel a bit more powerful,but not enough powerful yet.

The thing about counselors ganging up on Jason is that normally it's supposed to feel like a once in a lifetime kind of situation,like you have peoples making preparations then joining up and prepare a 50-50 risk situation,if everything go as planned then that's a win for the counselors,but if they mess up then Jason bring them hell on them.

But as of right now,it still doesnt feel quite there yet,peoples are still kinda confident on taking on Jason,they need to feel the risk behind attacking him,that if they mess up,they mess up,there need to be consequences if things go wrong.

Jason is supposed to be this mountain of a man,a force to be reckoned with,so in my suggestion,it might be better for the developpers to find how to tweak Jason to make him that such almost unstopable force,by maybe adding 1 or more few things to him gameplay wise.

Here's a few suggested exemples:

1.Add somekind of grab ability for Jason when he is knocked on the ground,this will make peoples think twice before approaching his body or else Jason will grab them by the leg if they get too confident,just like in the movies when Jason is pretending to be unconscious but then try to grab someone when they get too close,this will also reduce or get entirely rid off the teabaging action.

2.Maybe add a 1-2 or 3 seconds invincibility for Jason when he get back up on his feets,this will get rid of peoples going directly for another stun attack as he get back up and make them wait a little bit,and if peoples think this is too much then to counter this,make it so that Jason as some kind of gauge-bar,that fills up as Jason constantly get stun attacked by peoples,then once it is full,then Jason can get that temporary invincibility.

3 hours ago, Kodiak said:

This has led me to my opinion of Jason not being strong enough. I do indeed think that he's strong enough against any individual counselor, but as a group I feel they're too strong. I have yet to be killed as Jason even at 105 so I don't think it's a case of 'git gud' as some would say. There have indeed been a few instances where people have come very close (as in Tommy standing waiting with the machete whilst I spam the button to shift before the sweater stun hits kind of close), but I remember hearing from one of the developers during a Q&A session at PAX (I think) that killing Jason was supposed to be a 1 in 75 or something occurrence. 

Now, to the point of this thread. There are plenty of threads about proposed tweaks to Jason and the counselors, but I have one simple question: How does it feel to be Jason? Do you feel strong as him? Do you feel he's weaker than he should be? Not scary enough? Post how you feel about playing Jason, let's get a general community consensus for the developers to see.

How you should answer the poll

As you can see, there are 3 separate questions. I have included 3 different answers to each one, and I would like you to answer all 3 questions please. If you would rather only answer specific ones, then that is no problem.

Each question can be answered with one choice; it isn't a multiple choice poll. Please choose the answer that is closest to how you feel about playing Jason in his current state, and if you want to post why then please do below. Your answer need not reflect on your skill as a player; you could be very good at playing Jason but still feel that groups of counselors are too strong. I chose that as my answer.

I will emphasize that this is not a thread for discussing balance and what should/shouldn't be done to fix any issues. This is a discussion about how it feels to play Jason. Suggested fixes and such can be discussed in other threads.

I completely agree.  While Jason is better than he had been, he still needs a lot of work.  As a counselor, I'm not terrified of Jason.  It's more of "eh, there's Jason..".  As Jason I'm like "ok, where's the kill party and how am I gonna survive?". 

1. I feel strong as Jason, chain stunning and hit detection are my only downfalls at this point. But, with proper planning and spacing I seem to come out on the winning side.

2. I will still go for Jason, without the force grab and his crappy hit detection I have a chance. Though it's risky and I will die if I made too many mistakes.

3.While I have yet to kill him post patch, we haven't tried. We play to fix and exit. Though I'm fairly positive if we put together a killing team we could do it. That's not our normal play style so I can't say for certain. I will say this, let me hand pick 3 friends from my list. Go in quickplay, party chat. I don't think it would be an issue.