12 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Both are meaning-free terms applied without supporting evidence, as those flinging them around somehow assume the mere act of labeling something as "toxic" or "fake news" has objective significance. 

It's similar to saying, 'That's very offensive to me.' To crib from Stephen Fry..."Well, so fucking what?"

Words have meaning. I don't want to attack your intelligence, but some your comments the last few days have been toxically stupid.

• Like 1

This is one of the other reasons why i only play this game offline,and i'm alot happier now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

As a level 150, you should know that Jason has frames where he is vulnerable to stuns but has no control, therefore it cannot be avoided.

When you Rage through a door, you can be stunned while having no way or stopping it. Same goes for the moment you collapse a door (unless you're using the "tech"). When Jason finishes a stun animation, if you time it juuust right, you can stun him again before his control comes back to the player - that's what chain stunning is.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you. You just like to be argumentative for the sake of it.

If you get good group - and I mean actually good. Not "I'm lvl 150 so I know everything" good - they can sit there and stun chain Jason while the car gets fixed right in his face. Grab one? They knock them loose? Slash? Hit one and get put on your ass again...

Trust me, 3-4 veteran counselors working together can do pretty much whatever they want.

Jason can also be stunned right after getting pocket knifed, once that animation is done counselors can time the hit and stun him. There are too many of these instances.

One of the developers' best moves was to create an offline game mode.

I daresay they ought to focus primarily on that now - it needs refinement and AI tweaks all over.

It's a good way to escape from the general public, most of whom nowadays are insane.

9 hours ago, Poormetheus said:

Both are "meaning free"?

Toxic behavior is a characterization of some person's or group of people's actions. It is an opinion that is informed by one's values / morals.

Fake news is a well documented phenomenon - that a news outlet garnishes facts, or at worst fabricates a story entirely. 

The latter is the one that requires supporting evidence. The former  does not (it's like saying - what evidence do you have to support the claim that you like to eat oranges?).

It's interesting you think toxic constitutes an opinion, while fake news - something you struggle to define by reference to the less than objective term "garnishes" - is not. In any event, my point was not that labels don't describe something, it's that merely applying labels to something is without more a meaning-free act. The existence of toxic behavior or fake news are not the issue - the issue is whether any given target of the label has been, in fact, correctly labeled (i.e., whether the labeling has meaning). For example, the below poster describes certain of my comments over the last few days as "toxically stupid." Setting aside the...novel...choice of adjective, this is a bare assertion without explanation or support. What comments? For each, it was not only stupid, but toxically so, because....? 

Terms such as toxic and fake news are used largely because saying all that's actually meant - I don't like it! - is just too clearly meaningless.

7 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Words have meaning. I don't want to attack your intelligence, but some your comments the last few days have been toxically stupid.

Words have meaning; ipse dixit assertions do not (beyond the above-noted I don't like it! whine, about which only your mommy cares). But please don't worry yourself - I've seen no evidence you're capable of attacking my intelligence :)

24 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Words have meaning; ipse dixit assertions do not

Say something Latin to sound intelligent :D

Anyway, if you'd read my initial post you would hear some of the reasons why I think the community is toxic. For example, the chain-stunning, then yelling "pussy Jason" over the mic when you get stunned, etc.

The community and the player base are (mostly) toxic. There's no two ways about it. If you don't think so, then you must have really bad speakers or an opiate addiction. 

They're largely miserable, negative-leaning antagonists. The forum is like that and the players are like that. 

Most gaming communities suffer from it, and I would like to think F13 is the worst but I don't know enough about other games. 

It would be nice if the devs could do something to round it down a little more. I do remember reading something about improving the report system.

8 hours ago, DialM said:

I'm not sure I agree. The trolls and assholes play the game, so (I think) by definition they're part of the community. I can't just say that people who play Chad aren't a part of the community, for example. You can't just ignore the toxic portion of the community by saying that they're not a part of it.

I think I was speaking more to the forum community but I agree- we have douchebags inside of the community too. 

8 hours ago, DasMurich said:

Ah, the old Scottsman Fallacy

Good point.

1 hour ago, Dr. Lecter said:

For each, it was not only stupid, but toxically so, because....? 

Because you're a Nazi.

(To avoid trouble, I'll go ahead and insert that I hope you get the joke)

The other day I decided to try avoid quick play for awhile and join some public sessions from one of the F13 PS4 communities. Every single match, I'm not exaggerating on this, I've encountered nothing but quitters. I don't think I was able to get an escape one time. I must've heard like 2 or 3 guys that sounded like they were at least in their 30's or 40's complaining about the way others are playing. This game may have more kids, but it always sounds like the adults are the only ones crying and quitting. 

44 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

Say something Latin to sound intelligent :D

Anyway, if you'd read my initial post you would hear some of the reasons why I think the community is toxic. For example, the chain-stunning, then yelling "pussy Jason" over the mic when you get stunned, etc.

Mild taunting in a competitive game where messing with your opponent's head/angering them provides potential advantages seems like a pretty low bar for toxicity, but whatever I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Liquid Swordsman said:

The other day I decided to try avoid quick play for awhile and join some public sessions from one of the F13 PS4 communities. Every single match, I'm not exaggerating on this, I've encountered nothing but quitters. I don't think I was able to get an escape one time. I must've heard like 2 or 3 guys that sounded like they were at least in their 30's or 40's complaining about the way others are playing. This game may have more kids, but it always sounds like the adults are the only ones crying and quitting. 

I've never really quit even when I die. I try and collect the XP I've gotten even if it's small amount. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Setting aside the...novel...choice of adjective, this is a bare assertion without explanation or support. What comments? For each, it was not only stupid, but toxically so, because?

Words have meaning

There fixed it for you.

I think these forums are to just as toxic as the game to be honest. About 90% of the people in these forums and on the game just want to ruin your day. Its a sad world. There will probably be replies or quotes of this next, stating that I am wrong or that my figures and percentages are wrong or that I'm weak and I should get good or grow up or grow some balls. This isn't a community, it's just a bunch of cults warring against each other.

8 minutes ago, FunMonster said:

I think these forums are to just as toxic as the game to be honest. .

What does toxic even mean?   

If most of the people here are toxic.. Then these are my kind of people.

Nothing but love for my Toxic Bruthaaas and SistaaaS!

11 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

What does toxic even mean?   

If most of the people here are toxic.. Then these are my kind of people.

Nothing but love for my Toxic Bruthaaas and SistaaaS!

tox·ic
ˈtäksik/
adjective
  1. 1
    poisonous.
    "the dumping of toxic waste"
    synonyms: poisonousvirulentnoxiousdeadlydangerousharmfulinjuriouspernicious
    "toxic houseplants"

2. Anyone who doesn't agree with FunMonster's views and opinions.
  • Like 1

Last night, I go into a random QP lobby.

First game. Oh look, I'm Jason on packanak!

After bashing in AJ's skull with a bird bath I come across a Buggzy lollygagging outside the main house. Now, my plan is to just trap the car and leave, I'm not going to waste my time running after a Buggzy right now. Buggzy thinks I'm coming after him though and starts yelling.

Buggzy: I'm the host, b*tch. Don't come near me or I'll quit! You kill me, you don't get xp motherf*cker!

Me: I don't give a sh*t about xp. You're dead next no matter what.

Buggzy: Bullsh*t, everybody wants xp!

Me: Nope, I'm already maxed out 

Buggzy: Come on man, at least let me get some XP!

Me: Not after you decided to be a douche.

Buggzy: *Indecipherable yelling as he gets crushed in a deck chair.*

Best thing is, he didn't even quit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2018 at 4:30 PM, Dr. Lecter said:

Both are meaning-free terms applied without supporting evidence, as those flinging them around somehow assume the mere act of labeling something as "toxic" or "fake news" has objective significance. 

It's similar to saying, 'That's very offensive to me.' To crib from Stephen Fry..."Well, so fucking what?"

Exceeept most people don't fling around toxic as a meaningless term.

Toxicity is often a form of online harassment in games... it also has a broad definition that could include trolling, insulting others, racism, sexism, rage quitting, host quitting, not managing mic volume, and incredibly selfish play In a team game. All of these are pretty common in QP. Do they get over exaggerated a bit based on people's own bias? Sure they do. But it's not a matter of "I don't like that so its toxic." Sure, sometimes that is the case, but not most of the time.

Everything I described above could be viewed as toxic and happens semi-often. When someone plugs in their mic and says, "F--k your mom." I don't get offended, it usually makes me laugh at how sad that player must be to resort to that kind of thing, but it is still toxic behavior.

As for your point about overuse of the term fake news, I couldn't agree more. People just say something is fake simply so they don't have to deal with it, but that is another subject entirely that is probably best left out of this thread.

48 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Exceeept most people don't fling around toxic as a meaningless term.

Toxicity is . . . online harassment . . . trolling, insulting others, racism, sexism, rage quitting, host quitting, not managing mic volume, and incredibly selfish play In a team game.

Everything I described above is toxic [and any person, action or language that I arbitrarily class as any of the above is thus toxic, just because I said so].

Tweaked that for clarity, though you and I plainly have different views on the concept of linguistic meaning. Carry on.

toxicity implies contagion

4 hours ago, FunMonster said:

*the world is* just a bunch of cults warring against each other.

fixed 8P

7 minutes ago, jistsomeguy said:

toxicity implies contagion

Somewhere, a defeated middle school science teacher just cut her wrists with a filthy blade, secure in the knowledge that neither contagious diseases nor toxic substances lurking on its surface would long be a concern of hers.