Hi all,

I have come to believe that the community of F13 players that is routinely encountered on public servers is quite toxic. My localization is Europe, so I speak from that vantage point.

I think the situation has been festering for some time, and was initially brought on by the long period of a nerfed Jason, not to mention the preceding addition of bunny costumes and dance emotes.

This has led to a widespread infantilization of the player-base, and with this a complete change in the dynamic / core gameplay of F13 online.

A case in point; if bunny/wonder-woman counselors wish to pass the time actively attacking Jason in a group, Jason responds in kind by slashing wildly and pursuing them only to slash and slash some more, until they die. This is incredibly monotonous, boring, and is a pathetic spectacle to witness. The erratic spinning / dodging that Jason does to avoid their strikes is comical to watch from a 3rd-person standpoint and completely undercuts any survival-horror element that the game might otherwise have. If you think that this is how the game ought to be played, then I question whether you actually know what kind of game you're playing here, and you might do better to launch Call of Duty or Quake and relieve yourself, or perhaps play the Sims and enjoy your virtual doll house . . .

Ask yourself a sincere question - what is the main attraction of F13? The answer is . . . . . JASON! Both to play as and to run away from. What the hell is the whole point if the dynamic shifts away from this central idea? I am then at a loss to tell you what kind of game I am playing.

Despite the fact that the latest patch addressed the nerfed Jason somewhat, it still has not done enough to dissuade the type of player who thinks that the objective is to try and beat up Jason and dance from doing just that; the kind of player who will  call whoever is playing Jason a "pussy" every time he gets stunned during his slashing rampage (sigh).

I know this forum's users have lots of ideas on how to redress the balance issue, and I know they've all been mentioned before, but I am just voicing my opinion and hoping that the situation improves as time moves on; the devs have a lot of work to do.

• Confused 3

Wish I had a warm cup of cocoa to hand you sir. Keep your head. Like most communities in online gaming, it's full of mouth-breathers, racists and douche bags(oh my!) But it also has some great horror fans and fun people to play with. 

• Like 3

Dancing was a dumb move. It has absolutely nothing to do with the movies or the survival horror genre and yes, is used frequently by trolls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I've warmed up to playing private matches. Less trolls, and has actually lead to friendships I would consider a level up from being mere acquaintances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

It's really sad to see a vicious circle of slashing vs bashing - this is not Street Fighter, devs . . .

What would you suggest they do? Remove slashing? Remove melee weapons?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

It's really sad to see a vicious circle of slashing vs bashing - this is not Street Fighter, devs . . .

Slashing quenches my thirst with the tears of the aggrieved.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Dancing was a dumb move. It has absolutely nothing to do with the movies or the survival horror genre and yes, is used frequently by trolls. 

IMO, dancing is fine as long as it's done in moderation and not directly as a tool for trolling.  I'll dance to pass the time if I'm hanging out in a cabin waiting for the cops to show up and Jason isn't around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

IMO, dancing is fine as long as it's done in moderation and not directly as a tool for trolling.  I'll dance to pass the time if I'm hanging out in a cabin waiting for the cops to show up and Jason isn't around.

Why was dancing even put into the game? 

Was it meant to be funny or taunting? 

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

What would you suggest they do? Remove slashing? Remove melee weapons?

Remove shift, firstly

Jason slash = instant crippled counselor, regardless

Jason slash = counselor pain animation so they can't INSTANTLY retaliate

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Why was dancing even put into the game? 

Was it meant to be funny or taunting? 

It was just meant as something to have a little fun with, but of course the trolls had to abuse it like everything else in the game.

4 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

Remove shift, firstly

Jason slash = instant crippled counselor, regardless

Jason slash = counselor pain animation so they can't INSTANTLY retaliate

Remove shift? Then what would they replace it with for Jasons that can't run? I think removing shift is just too much, because you'd have to add or remove in order to balance.

Slasher Jasons already cripple counselors with 2 hits and 3 if they have Thick Skinned.

There's already a delay in the heal spraying process, adding more of a delay is just an easy feed in my opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Wish I had a warm cup of cocoa to hand you sir. Keep your head. Like most communities in online gaming, it's full of mouth-breathers, racists and douche bags(oh my!) But it also has some great horror fans and fun people to play with. 

That's true. I've played a lot of great rounds with really cool people...and there's been a whole lot of rounds with not so cool people. It's like life, it's a gamble. Can't let the pricks ruin a good time...there's always more lobbies to enter! 

I've played about 5 games of F13 in the newest patch. Two of those times I've been Jason, and here's what's happened.

First time I played I wound up in a group of people who were clearly using Discord or something. They attempted to get my mask off but they abandoned that idea when they realized I wasn't rubbish at fighting groups of counselors. They attempted to gang up on me and indeed get in a fair amount of hits, but half of them died in the process and they were left with only a few repair based characters. I killed most of them except for 2, who disarmed the traps on the phone whilst I was busy busting up the others. On the way out, they attempted to do the whole 'baseball bat Jason, then teabag/dance/whatever over him whilst he's down' whilst about 50ft from the police. Typical Vanessas...

Two escaped that time. One of them sadly limped out over the finish line whilst I was getting in my final hits to kill him.

The second time came a day or two ago. This time, about 5/6 counselors all decided to gang up on me outside of Packanack. Again the typical (and extremely annoying) cycle of some goon with a baseball bat hitting you in the back whilst you're trying to fight off the rest of them. It was a long game but I focused primarily on keeping them away from the objectives, and I succeeded until near the end. They managed to fix a 4 seater whilst some wanna-be pro Tommy tried to keep me busy. They even tried off-roading as well, and to be honest the driver was good. They were literally about 5ft from the exit when I intercepted them with shift. Adam and Deborah both got out of the car - none had weapons - and I killed them both. After that, there was only wanna-be pro Tommy and some other girl character left. Tommy quit whilst I was executing him and the other character was helpless by herself. So, I won that game but it wasn't that fun.

So, I would agree that the community is indeed rather toxic. Jason doesn't scare people anymore, and to be honest he's f**king rubbish against fighting off groups. Until he is better equipped to deal with groups, he doesn't pose much of a threat to people ganging up in a private Discord and that in turn will promote toxic behavior. People think teabagging and dancing over a downed Jason is a cool thing to do, or that it somehow means that they're a better player. Jason really, really needs a special move or two whilst in combat stance so he can actually fend off groups without getting smashed about. The game is so much better when played with people who understand that this isn't a competitive game; it's a survival horror co-op multiplayer game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

My suggestions would change the dynamic back to survival horror - just try it on offline mode and you'll see.

I'll take your point, though. Non-running Jasons have a slight issue without shift.

Perhaps they could have some kind of "intimidation force" that inhibits counselors from running if they're near a non-running Jason?

12 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Jason really, really needs a special move or two whilst in combat stance so he can actually fend off groups without getting smashed about.

They just need to fix his hit detection. If someone is adding gas into the car, it won't even register a slash because technically your weapon barely grazes the counselor's back. That's stupid.

Other that that, Jason already has enough resources available, do exactly what you did - perform good combat.

11 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

I'll take your point, though. Non-running Jasons have a slight issue without shift.

4 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Jason doesn't scare people anymore, and to be honest he's f**king rubbish against fighting off groups. Until he is better equipped to deal with groups, he doesn't pose much of a threat to people ganging up in a private Discord and that in turn will promote toxic behavior. People think teabagging and dancing over a downed Jason is a cool thing to do, or that it somehow means that they're a better player. Jason really, really needs a special move or two whilst in combat stance so he can actually fend off groups without getting smashed about.

A fear/stun mechanic with a cooldown that can be employed when in the presence of more than once counselor?  A radial AoE, if you will, with Jason as the center, and any counselor within so many feet and a clear line of sight instantly is stunned, similar to the shack stun that occurs when you try to grab the sweater.  Map it to one of the D-Pad arrows, like the traps or throwing knives.

54 minutes ago, Poormetheus said:

Hi all,

I have come to believe that the community of F13 players that is routinely encountered on public servers is quite toxic. My localization is Europe, so I speak from that vantage point.

I think the situation has been festering for some time, and was initially brought on by the long period of a nerfed Jason, not to mention the preceding addition of bunny costumes and dance emotes.

This has led to a widespread infantilization of the player-base, and with this a complete change in the dynamic / core gameplay of F13 online.

A case in point; if bunny/wonder-woman counselors wish to pass the time actively attacking Jason in a group, Jason responds in kind by slashing wildly and pursuing them only to slash and slash some more, until they die. This is incredibly monotonous, boring, and is a pathetic spectacle to witness. The erratic spinning / dodging that Jason does to avoid their strikes is comical to watch from a 3rd-person standpoint and completely undercuts any survival-horror element that the game might otherwise have. If you think that this is how the game ought to be played, then I question whether you actually know what kind of game you're playing here, and you might do better to launch Call of Duty or Quake and relieve yourself, or perhaps play the Sims and enjoy your virtual doll house . . .

Ask yourself a sincere question - what is the main attraction of F13? The answer is . . . . . JASON! Both to play as and to run away from. What the hell is the whole point if the dynamic shifts away from this central idea? I am then at a loss to tell you what kind of game I am playing.

Despite the fact that the latest patch addressed the nerfed Jason somewhat, it still has not done enough to dissuade the type of player who thinks that the objective is to try and beat up Jason and dance from doing just that; the kind of player who will  call whoever is playing Jason a "pussy" every time he gets stunned during his slashing rampage (sigh).

I know this forum's users have lots of ideas on how to redress the balance issue, and I know they've all been mentioned before, but I am just voicing my opinion and hoping that the situation improves as time moves on; the devs have a lot of work to do.

lol, if you think this is toxic I'm not sure what other games you have been playing. There are toxic players in every online game, for the most part they are way worse than this community is by far.

8 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

A fear/stun mechanic with a cooldown that can be employed when in the presence of more than once counselor?  A radial AoE, if you will, with Jason as the center, and any counselor within so many feet and a clear line of sight instantly is stunned, similar to the shack stun that occurs when you try to grab the sweater.  Map it to one of the D-Pad arrows, like the traps or throwing knives.

Kinda like a faster reduction to composure which influences stamina. Less stamina = less chance to run away or dodge Jason's attacks or provide power attacks.

@AdrianBlackbear I literally only use dances to taunt Jason. I guess I'm a "troll" for doing so.

8 minutes ago, stoney said:

They just need to fix his hit detection. If someone is adding gas into the car, it won't even register a slash because technically your weapon barely grazes the counselor's back. That's stupid.

Other that that, Jason already has enough resources available, do exactly what you did - perform good combat.

I don't think you're getting what I'm suggesting. I'm only decent enough to fend off groups because I've had to do it so many times. For new players it'd be a total nightmare and I can imagine that being in those kind of recurring scenarios would take a lot of fun out of the game.

18 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

So, I would agree that the community is indeed rather toxic. Jason doesn't scare people anymore, and to be honest he's f**king rubbish against fighting off groups. Until he is better equipped to deal with groups, he doesn't pose much of a threat to people ganging up in a private Discord and that in turn will promote toxic behavior. People think teabagging and dancing over a downed Jason is a cool thing to do, or that it somehow means that they're a better player. Jason really, really needs a special move or two whilst in combat stance so he can actually fend off groups without getting smashed about. 

A big thing that could help with this is Jason being able to do kills from the ground.  "Oh you guys all want to teabag me cause you stunned me?" *grabs counselor's foot, gets up while still holding the counselor upside down, and starts spinning him in a circle hitting everyone around him*   

It would be cool if Jason could do kills from the ground.  It would definitely motivate counselors to not get near him which they shouldn't unless they have the sweater or some defensive weapon like firecrackers or a gun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1