ikarikh

Need some Clarification from the devs

10 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

@Truth @ShiftySamurai Mentioned it on the first page in this thread. It is the 19th or 20th reply down.

I will chime in with my thoughts on the questions asked in the OP, the new patch, and the negativity around here.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that the devs believed they could introduce dedicated servers on consoles with the outdated engine. As they attempted to do so, they have found that it will not work with Microsoft and Sony's regulations. I am not a game designer, but from what I have seen, and the answers given, this is the most plausible explanation. Anyone who has more experience than me in coding is welcome to refute this assumption, because that is all it is on my part for now.

I know for a fact that it is much easier to get things passed through Steam, or just on PC in general than it is to clear on consoles. Everybody knows that. I honestly have no clue why an upgraded engine is needed, but, I am just going to personally take it at face value, and trust that the devs aren't full of shit. I know that some are probably going to come at me and say I'm white-knighting for Gun and Illphonic, and I don't care. I am just calling it as I see it.

This is a tough one. I do believe they were working on trying to get dedicated servers for consoles, and then realized that they had overestimated what the old engine could do. Now, they are scrambling to get the parts in place to  make it a reality. Unlike many doomsayers on this forum, I don't believe they are "taking the money and running". I think they are making an honest effort to try to improve the game. Have they made mistakes and allowed people who had no damn idea what they were talking about make announcements that weren't true? Of course they have. That is on them, but I don't think those mistakes are deserving of the hate the Devs get on here every day.

As @Kodiak said:

I see entirely too many people on here that profess to love the game, but every post they make is hate towards the developers and other players. If the experience is really that distasteful for you, why do you even care anymore? 

For me personally, this is the game I have waited for for most of my life. I've had a blast with it since the Beta days. Have I been pissed off about some patches over the last 9 months? You bet your ass I have. But if there was ever a time to have a lull in updates, this is the time. For me, this is the most fun this game has been to play in months. There is a real sense of dread when I hear that damn music while I'm trying install a fuse, pour some gas, or put in a battery. I say "Oh shit" when Jason starts busting windows and breaking down doors on the cabin I'm in. It feels like a horror game to me again. Plus, during the very few times I get to play Jason (counselor preferred), it feels like I am hunting the counselors again, not like it was for 3+ months. 

Sure, there are problems with hit detection, rubberbanding at the car, and the Jason grab bug, and I hope the hotfix addresses those. I'm also not a fan of the window situation now. You should 100% be able to whack a counselor if you are close enough to a window when they are climbing through. But, I find that to be a minor inconvenience rather than a game-breaker.

So those are my thoughts on everything being discussed in this thread, and I'm sure that many will disagree with me. But, I can only put it out there the way I see it.

I assumed much of the same myself. It's just that trying to quell all the stubborn people who are quick to hate with speculation like that won't work.

So i made the topic with the intent of getting real answers i can quote to help disolve a lot of the hate by providing clear answers.

1 minute ago, Dolemite said:

Ah, being a PC player is just sooo awesome...I guess that most of the truly salty individuals here are console players, huh?

Eh, some of us here really don't like dealing with hackers. Compared to consoles, who usually lock down on it (especially Sony) that's been a problem for PC gaming.

Just now, Trident77 said:

Eh, some of us here really don't like dealing with hackers. Compared to consoles, who usually lock down on it (especially Sony) that's been a problem for PC gaming.

I've never encountered hacking once while playing F13, thankfully.

3 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

There has been some players using hacks, you've just been lucky I guess in not running into them. I'm on PS4 but I've seen videos on youtube of people hacking on Friday the 13th.

30 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

I've seen it, but it has never happened to me personally. I remember being killed fairly early in a game back in August of last year, so I was spectating (while eating a meatball marinara from Subway) and the Jason player hacked Vanessa several times, and landed a couple of throwing knives too. She didn't seem to be affected at all. There wasn't even any blood on her jumpsuit. I'm assuming it was some stupid invincibility hack. The player wasted our time for about 14 minutes and lasted through the round. I just left the lobby and found another.

I pre-ordered the game for PC and Xbox. Unfortunately, I was almost never able to play it on Xbox, so I have stuck with PC. It will be funny when I am able to play on the new XBoxOneX and I show up with my 14th level Pt. 2 Jason and shock the hell out of some 100+ players who think I will be a pushover, and slowly figure out that I am going to control the hell out of that map.

• Haha 1

If there is meant to be a hit fix in between all of this how is that meant to work. I thought hot fixes were only for PC?

Just now, MyNameisJason said:

If there is meant to be a hit fix in between all of this how is that meant to work. I thought hot fixes were only for PC?

?

Consoles get them too. Not sure where you thought otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I've seen it, but it has never happened to me personally. I remember being killed fairly in a game back in August of last year, so I was spectating (while eating a meatball marinara from Subway) and the Jason player hacked Vanessa several times, and landed a couple of throwing knives too. She didn't seem to be affected at all. There wasn't even any blood on her jumpsuit. I'm assuming it was some stupid invincibility hack. The player wasted our time for about 14 minutes and lasted through the round. I just left the lobby and found another.

I pre-ordered the game for PC and Xbox. Unfortunately, I was almost never able to play it on Xbox, so I have stuck with PC. It will be funny when I am able to play on the new XBoxOneX and I show up with my 14th level Pt. 2 Jason and shock the hell out of some 100+ players who think I will be a pushover, and slowly figure out that I am going to control the hell out of that map.

A good meat ball sub and gaming, always a good time.

And a pinky and the brain reference, yes 

26 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

I assumed much of the same myself. It's just that trying to quell all the stubborn people who are quick to hate with speculation like that won't work.

So i made the topic with the intent of getting real answers i can quote to help disolve a lot of the hate by providing clear answers.

Sorry, I might've accidentally derailed the thread.

So...back on topic. @Gertz buddy I know you're there. Any chance the devs can shed a bit of light on this?

18 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

?

Consoles get them too. Not sure where you thought otherwise.

Perhaps because of the size of most of the F13 updates. They haven’t done very many small patches. 

2 minutes ago, MyNameisJason said:

Perhaps because of the size of most of the F13 updates. They haven’t done very many small patches. 

The size is misleading because you have to download the entire game every time they make an update, regardless of what the update is.

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

The size is misleading because you have to download the entire game every time they make an update, regardless of what the update is.

True, I meant the substance of the patch itself. Most of the times we’ve waited for a patch it had to roll through certification first so I was caught a little off guard that we’d get a hot fix for something. 

9 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Ah, being a PC player is just sooo awesome...I guess that most of the truly salty individuals here are console players, huh?

As a console player i can say it isn't salt, it is justified dissatisfaction. Them giving a time frame for dedicated servers, then going silent months past that deadline and then telling us contracting information regarding the time frame they gave on top of now an even bigger delay because of needing to update the engine first before working on dedicated servers is where the issue is. I am not salty because pc players have had dedicated servers day one, that is great for pc players, it would have been nice to have them on console for sure but like i said the even bigger issue than not having them is the road that has been taken to get us to where we are now.

I think the OP has put out some good questions. This past month has been really bittersweet, a good patch followed by two pretty disappointing outcomes for the game. 

I'm pretty sure these questions have been asked in other topics that were locked. Despite the OP's attempt at a different angle with a meandering non-threatening approach, these are the same questions and should've just been brought up in the thread created about the delays.

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

I'm pretty sure these questions have been asked in other topics that were locked. Despite the OP's attempt at a different angle with a meandering non-threatening approach, these are the same questions and should've just been brought up in the thread created about the delays.

That was the entire point. The other topic was just a lot of "YOU GUYS ARE LIARS! FUCK YOU GUYS!" kinda stuff on top of pages upon pages of replies.

It's easy for the important parts to be lost and asked in hateful ways that don't beget civil discussion.

So that was the point, calmly and maturely present the questions and the reasons for confusion in an easily accessible way to hope for a better shot at reasonable answers.