ShiftySamurai

Dedicated Servers: Updating The Engine

3 hours ago, CPLhicks31 said:

The only thing I wish would get "fixed" before this is the car rubber band glitch as it can be absolutely fatal to your game, but otherwise I am really pleased with this news and happy to be patient!

Things will be ok if they manage to fix that and the windows not working at times. Those are two things that will really hurt the game if they remain for the next couple of months.

The "grab only" bug with Jason would be nice too. Although it's not usually too hard to get a counselor to hit you, which "fixes" that problem. But when they know and choose not to hit you, you might as well quit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Things will be ok if they manage to fix that and the windows not working at times. Those are two things that will really hurt the game if they remain for the next couple of months.

The "grab only" bug with Jason would be nice too. Although it's not usually too hard to get a counselor to hit you, which "fixes" that problem. But when they know and choose not to hit you, you might as well quit.

Yeah, something tells me the grab only bug will never be fixed fully. It happens less and less for me but I doubt it will ever truly go away.

Agreed on all accounts though.

Please tell me this engine update will fix Jasons poor weapon/throwing knife hitboxes and the safe window bubble the counselors have when going through. 

Also I sure would like any word on if you guys intend to give Jason 7 decent stats or leave him with a basically useless toolkit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2moar said:

seems like the hotfix patch is going to fix the part 5 music and not much else

What's wrong with the Part 5 music? It sounds just fine to me please don't change it devs! 2 months will go by fast i can wait for dedicated servers i'm getting tired of all these glitches myself.

59 minutes ago, kevnssanity said:

The game is on its way straight downhill, and I don't think our complaints will do anything to fix it. Gun Media and Illfonic clearly don't care about their only success so far 

While I understand your anger with the state of the game, this I can't agree with. Generally, what they do now seems an improvement, not only the "talk" but also "the walk". So it's on the way "uphill" in that regaed.

But as much as I loved the new content so far, this prioritization should have happened as early as last year with the first announcement of dedicated servers. It sounds weird, especially with them adding now that the Engine update is of major importance and started in October. Maybe all manpower should have went into the mandatory update back then. After that new content, followed by ded. servers, than content afain.

I'm very sure they do care not only about their success, they care about the playerbase (definetly listened to feedback) and the F13 franchise. There is however a weird way of setting priorities. 

What other games have changed engine mid life cycle? I'd just like a term of reference to see how engine changes have affected other games. 

9 hours ago, KushAstronaut said:

They need to roll back the “balance” patch before they start on this. I don’t know how it is on PC yet, but I was just in a tournament on PS4 where the goal was to kill Jason, but that’s next to impossible with a halfway decent player now.

The game shouldn’t cater to noobs. It should take skill to be Jason. Otherwise, anyone who does have skill is going to overwhelm and destroy the lobby every single match and it won’t be fun.

I understand that Jason was OP in the movies, but this is a game, and in order for a game to be fun you have to have a chance. 

Listen to your high level players. Everyone I’ve talked to on PS4 over level 100 hates this update.  The game moves slower, there are no knives to disarm traps, Jason can grab you from a mile away, etc. It’s not fun to try to kill Jason anymore. Yea, it was ok to weaken the counselors a little bit (key words), but everything together makes being a counselor no fun.

I honestly feel bad when I’m Jason because I wipe out the whole game and cause everyone to rage quit.

Level 109 and I love the update. I'd much rather have a slower paced match where I fear Jason than what we had before. I have much more fun playing with a Jason that's actually a threat. 

I'm going to be frank here: the wait doesn't seem like it'll suck at all. Jason is scary, it's more difficult to beat on him like a pinata, and sometime in April or whenever we'll see the game run smoother.

Heck it might even cure the window/car problems, then the game will really start feeling like a polished product. And then there's hit detection problems as well...Shifty did state that the new game engine might cure some of the game's long lasting problems, I'm hoping that includes them as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manny1985 said:

What other games have changed engine mid life cycle? I'd just like a term of reference to see how engine changes have affected other games. 

Right off the top of my head, Wasteland 2 was upgraded from Unity 4.5 to 5.0.

Can we at least get that Pajama dlc clothing pack that's already in the game files while we wait for 2-3 months before another update? 

May sound dumb but some new clothing along with the new Pinehurst map and Roy will help add a little something new to the game to tide people over while they wait.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trident77 said:

Heck it might even cure the window/car problems, then the game will really start feeling like a polished product. 

A finished product close to a year after release? Give me a break.

Ill give you that the game is at least playable right now. If they wouldn’t have done the rebalancing, it would have been over.

My guess is one of two things is happening. They are either rebuilding this game because they intend to support it strongly for quite some time or they are just milking what they can get out of it until it dies. All signs point to never getting dedicated servers. The “cancellation” of paranoia, the eBay fiasco, and now this sudden rework of the engine. Something stinks.

1 hour ago, Toddarino said:

this sudden rework of the engine.

The update is not sudden.  This was mentioned around October that an update to the Unreal engine was in the pipeline for an undetermined date.  The reasoning for the servers needing the update is new and was never brought up as part of the process before this recent news.

• Like 1

guys, stop clinging to the 2 months comment, cause if we are being realistic here, when have they ever gotten something out at the earliest? And even then remember what they are doing, the new engine will come with even more bugs, and think about this team, how much faith do you really have that it will only be 2 months

• Like 1

this is unfortunate to hear. i'm having a hard time believing dedicated servers are coming at this point. if they can't even begin working on the servers until the engine is updated (at their estimate that's MAYBE the beginning of April) that likely puts dedicated servers in to mid to late summer, a year and a half after launch. add to that no new content for a few months and i have a hard time thinking the player count will justify the expense. bummer. 

17 hours ago, KushAstronaut said:

They need to roll back the “balance” patch before they start on this. I don’t know how it is on PC yet, but I was just in a tournament on PS4 where the goal was to kill Jason, but that’s next to impossible with a halfway decent player now.

The game shouldn’t cater to noobs. It should take skill to be Jason. Otherwise, anyone who does have skill is going to overwhelm and destroy the lobby every single match and it won’t be fun.

I understand that Jason was OP in the movies, but this is a game, and in order for a game to be fun you have to have a chance. 

Listen to your high level players. Everyone I’ve talked to on PS4 over level 100 hates this update.  The game moves slower, there are no knives to disarm traps, Jason can grab you from a mile away, etc. It’s not fun to try to kill Jason anymore. Yea, it was ok to weaken the counselors a little bit (key words), but everything together makes being a counselor no fun.

I honestly feel bad when I’m Jason because I wipe out the whole game and cause everyone to rage quit.

Level 140, or almost, and I for one was getting sick of waiting for games to end because 3 or 4 players wanted to f**k about gangbanging Jason with a million penknives and, baseball bats, wrenches and flareguns.

In the last 6 months I can count on one hand the number of times that I've been in a game and people have actually tried to kill Jason, and that is being generous, I could lose a few fingers and still not need them all to count it. I would need to grow more than a few arms to count the number of times I've had to sit and watch a gangbang.

As someone who has played since launch day I'm glad they've made this change, it brings me back to the early days when it was a real accomplishment to escape, and a miracle if you didn't get killed. You want to play something easy, go download Call of Duty and sit in a corner somewhere with a shotgun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people are complaining about being targeted for death while being Jason but we have to come in terms with the truth.

If we are Jason we have to knock out the power transformers everywhere and it guarenttees everyone fear and they never can kill you ............... but every time I do that 5 people quit before the round is over because they get pissed off because of the fact that they can't run freely. Life just sucks all around, I guess.

We also have to face the truth that there comes a time when the profit is over and developers ditch the game and/or sometimes even sabotage it themselves because it becomes an expense. I do believe this is the beginning of the end, however I'm still going to play until I get that 1000 plays as Jason achievement that I want so badly.

14 hours ago, Ghostboy20 said:

zZg3V58.gifanigif_original-grid-image-3188-14933063MMSDVFo.gif

omg I love your avatar, I wish they'd make a fall/winter clothing pack like that with jackets/pants/etc. :(

18 hours ago, KushAstronaut said:

Friday The 13th is not about killing Jason, it's about escape, survive the night. You have to fear Jason not the oposite.

I'm glad the game has returned to normal. It is much more fun and rewarding to survive with fewer resources than when the counselors had an arsenal worth Rambo. 

I hope it stays that way.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

omg I love your avatar, I wish they'd make a fall/winter clothing pack like that with jackets/pants/etc. :(

Thanks, I got it from @Brigadius he has a whole thread of avatars http://forum.f13game.com/topic/11997-f13-avatar-collection-v113/

I know, we needed items like this in the game. 

3 hours ago, DawnOfTheDeadBr said:

Friday The 13th is not about killing Jason, it's about escape, survive the night. You have to fear Jason not the oposite.

I'm glad the game has returned to normal. It is much more fun and rewarding to survive with fewer resources than when the counselors had an arsenal worth Rambo. 

I hope it stays that way.

...Jason dies in every damn movie to most characters who aren't Tommy Jarvis. lmao

He only dies once, actually. In Part IV. Other than that, he only gets incapacitated. And from Part VI on he is actually undead, which makes it impossible for him to die. *nitpick*