ShiftySamurai

Dedicated Servers: Updating The Engine

In October 2017, we announced that we would begin working on updating the Friday the 13th: The Game to the latest version of the Unreal Engine. This update will allow us to address many problems that negatively impact game performance as well as fix bugs that can’t be fixed otherwise. It’s also absolutely required for us to continue working on Dedicated Servers for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game.

We estimate that the integration of the new engine will be completed, at the earliest, sometime in April. The nature of this update means that there will be no regular patches until it is released. Upgrading the engine means touching every piece of content in the game, updating new content that is being created, and needing to retest all core features and gameplay balance to make sure they are not affected.With the release of the latest balance and bug fix patches, we’re now able to transition the full team to working on this upgrade. We will be posting regular news updates on our fixes as well as our plans for future changes throughout this process.

We look forward to all of your feedback and we’re all very excited for the future of Friday the 13th: The Game! Thank you all for your patience and continued support!

What will updating the engine change or improve? (Please keep in mind that we will have more specifics closer to release)

• Potential for physics improvements and fixes for vehicles, ragdolls, hair, and more
  • Better performance on all platforms
  • Required support for Dedicated Servers on the Xbox One and Playstation 4
  • Fixes for long standing issues that will be automatically resolved by moving to the new engine version

Will the Dedicated Servers for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 be released with the engine update patch?
No. The engine update patch is, however, a critical component in getting Dedicated Servers functioning on consoles, and is absolutely required for us to get there. Unfortunately, that does mean that our focus has to be on the update first - so we’ll need to wait until that’s wrapping up to start estimating the work remaining to get to Dedicated Servers, and provide you with that information.

How does this affect the current Road Map?
Following the release of Jason Part 5 and Pinehurst, the content on the roadmap from November will be delayed while we focus on engine updates and prepare for dedicated servers. We’ll be communicating regularly with everyone about the engine change and the content affected by it, as well as teasing new content during this period. We will not be creating a new roadmap until we’re at a point where we’re comfortable with the dates involved - we want to make sure that when we tell you something is coming, you can count on it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 20
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Making the game better over the long run. Hey I’m all for it. Thanks to this latest patch I feel the game is in a good state for the team to focus on these major updates. Can’t wait to see the improvements the updated Unreal adds. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Interesting news!

I hope the engine update goes smoothly and swiftly.

Will there be any potential bug fixes, through patches, between now and April? Or no updates/patches at all?

• Confused 1

welp, this should keep the playerbase strong and intact, i see this causing no problems at all /s

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Can’t wait, should be interesting to see what the new game engine will bring. Whenever servers get here is just a plus. Thanks for the update. 

Honestly loving the transparency with from the devs, it let's us know what's happening with the game and what we can expect moving forward.

1 minute ago, Nomadder said:

Interesting news!

Will there be any potential bug fixes, through patches, between now and April? Or no updates/patches at all?

He said, there would be no regular patches until it's release, so I'm assuming no.

Kinda crappy that we won't be getting any new fixes in the meantime. But I guess it'll be nice to have the game on a better engine, because it's clear this one isn't up to par.

This really has been an early access title this whole time. I've actually played early access titles with far more polish than this. So I can't really blame them for scrapping the engine.

Sigh...Gonna be a long wait for this. Not sure I'm gonna bother with this abandoned version now. 2-3 months of windows not working doesn't seem appealing.

• Sad 1

Just now, TiffanyxAJ said:

He said, there would be no regular patches until it's release, so I'm assuming no.

That sucks so no content almost 3 months. But if it brings the game to a better place I suppose it’s for the best.

3 minutes ago, Nomadder said:

Interesting news!

That’s my question as well. If I interpreted that correctly, there will be no more patches/updates of any kind from now until at least April?

If only it said "We estimate that the integration of the new engine will be completed, at the latest, sometime in April" haha
Another few months for a decent engine update, which will eventually bring on dedicated servers is a great thing, thanks!!

• Like 1

Just now, Treymaker said:

That’s my question as well. If I interpreted that correctly, there will be no more patches/updates of any kind from now until at least April?

That's correct.

Just now, Treymaker said:

You interpret correctly. I’m sure when the patch finally does come around we’re going to get a huge content drop to compensate for the dry period.

good thing the new map they release has a broken exit in the car, and dashboarding is back on xbox, rubberbanding from the car is still broken from months ago, can't wait for no patches for months again, and i can only guess how big the download of the game will be with the new engine 

1 minute ago, TiffanyxAJ said:

We have a hot fix style patch that will be scheduled for release soon, we’re hoping a day or two, to fix some issues. 

1 minute ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

Will this new engine improve graphics and textures?

We’ll have more info on the update throughout the process. We cannot give answers for specific questions right now. 

Just now, ShiftySamurai said:

We have a hot fix style patch that will be scheduled for release soon, we’re hoping a day or two, to fix some issues. 

We’ll have more info on the update throughout the process. We cannot give answers for specific questions right now. 

Fair enough I suppose. Quick side note will you guys continue the dev diaries?

So we won't have Paranoia, Single Player Bots, etc until after April? Maybe even into May or June? 

Just now, AldermachXI said:

That's correct.

I really hate to suggest this and those that see my posts can vouch for the fact that I’m not a “pot stirrer”. But I can’t help but feel like Jason Part 5 and the Pinehurst map were a distraction to take people’s focus away from the fact that Paranoia mode is a LONG way off if not cancelled, and the fact that there is about to be at least a 3 month time period with absolutely no updates.  

Not gonna lie, pretty disappointing news.  Number 1, because people have been dying for these servers on the consoles for so long and it's still months away (I do feel for you guys), and number 2 because for me personally as someone who plays the game on PC, there is no real tangible benefit to this process (aside from whatever shakes out of the engine update) and it's bumping the roadmap further and further away.

The game is already hemorrhaging players and I'm not real optimistic people are going to stick around with a pretty stagnant state of the game for that many months.  Roy + Pinehurst gave it a nice little bump (and the balance changes feel great) but I imagine it will be short-lived.

I love this game.  I play it as often as I can.  I want to see it succeed.  But it feels like there needs to be a quicker turnaround on these things to keep people on board, which is an unfortunate reality of modern gaming.  There is always something new to play, and people get bored quickly.

so hot fix patch, you mean we wont have to download the whole game again, cause that'd be swell