scorpio

* IMMINENT Dedicated Servers News 02/05/18 (TODAY) *

Ok so the update is out now - check the twitter. If someone can copy/paste it into this thread that would be much appreciated.

Just reading thru the notes now. One thing that stands out straight away is the claim that the work on dedicated servers started in October. I was under the impression that they had become work back in August and had stated initially that they had expected the servers to be ready by October, so this seems suspect to me! Reading the rest atm! - Will update in a min! :) 

Ok so now I'm reading that 'It’s also absolutely required for us to continue working on Dedicated Servers for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game'

implying that no more work can even be done towards dedicated servers until this Unreal Engine is updated, which won't be happening until April earliest?! 

REALLY?! SMH - so we can expect dedicated servers now sometime (probably long after) April - so lets say 2 months more to finish work on them after the update goes thru, so June 2018 - EARLIEST?! SMH - This is not the news I was hoping for. This seems ridiculous! :( 

'Following the release of Jason Part 5 and Pinehurst, the content on the roadmap from November will be delayed while we focus on engine updates and prepare for dedicated servers.'

Are u kidding me - so no new content - most likely until June onwards - assuming it takes a couple of months to work on that stuff and assuming this Unreal Engine update happens in April - which they said would be the EARLIEST - ffs - so an ENTIRE YEAR after release and we may still be without the single player challenges and without dedicated servers for consoles at that point...............slow clap! 

If this doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for this game I don't know what will, SMH! :( ...................................... :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a crock of shit to be honest. 95% of the time I play in private match so this isn't my hill to die on, but if I was a quick match player I would not be happy.

I can't begin to imagine everything that goes into creating/updating games but I feel like Gun Media hasn't been very forthcoming. And in cases like this I feel like they've been downright misleading the consumer.

8 hours ago, Toddarino said:

This game isn’t going to survive until May 2nd without dedicated servers.

j/k 

you crazy foreigners and your date format.

You were right the first time.

I am confused as well.  How is it PC has dedicated servers with the old Unreal engine yet we can't get dedicated servers on console because of the old Unreal engine?  How is it ready on one but not the other?

Also dedicated servers were supposed to be up by October yet they didn't start working on them till October so the previous announcement made last year was a lie?

WHERE the pardon my french but F did this stuff about having to update the game engine before they can work on anything from this point onwards - including dedicated servers come from? Unless I missed something they've never said bugger all about that before. Not to mention, they are claiming they said they'd start working on Dedicated Servers in Oct 2017 - this is simply not true, we were told dedicated servers were being worked on since August AND they even originally said they'd expected it to release by Oct 2017 - not that they were only starting work on it in 2017 - this is just outright BS! SMH - for a company who originally were pedalling the notion of how upfront and crystal clear they were with consumers, this has become beyond a joke! Never will I EVER on principle now purchase ANY dlc for this game/I will never support any future products put out by Gun Media/Illfonic again - I know I'm not the only one who feels this way either! - I feel like this now, but before this game was released and I knew how poorly they were going to handle things I honestly would have been willing to throw money at ANY dlc they made and ANY future projects they were involved with. At this point you couldn't pay me to give these guys anymore money! SMH 

5 Months of silence just to be fed a whole new load of excuses and a potential 3 month delay, just to even start the process of working on dedicated servers/single player content etc again is beyond a joke! Had they not have strung us along for the past 5 months maybe I'd be taking this better! :( SMH

Seriously tho why the run around. We were told around July ish that they were looking at host migration. Then in August we were told they had dropped host migration because it would take too long to implement and so they were pursuing dedicated servers instead that shld be released sometime late sept/Oct - Then we hear NOTHING until last week where we are told that they've put Paranoia Mode 'on hold' in order to focus on the dedicated servers. We are told to expect server news that week and then are later told that no, the news will be coming Monday (today) instead. Then they turn around and declare that nope the dedicated servers can't be worked on and nor can any other content (again after declaring that single player was still being currently worked on in a response to someone on twitter), until the games engines are updated, which at soonest wont be until April....... If it smells like BS and looks like BS, guess what, it's probably BS! :( 

• Thanks 1

WOW! I'm glad I don't play quickplay anymore! Everyone who does, and who is on this forum. Hit some of us up for invites, or friend requests! Playing private is much better stability and a better player base to game with, I play ps4 and we have a great time. Join the communities here

On 8/12/2017 at 4:08 AM, Tattooey said:

CLUB FOR PS4, PC, & XBOX

I wanted to share an idea to see if people would get behind it. I want to start a club exclusively for the members of this forums & non members. However there will be slight differences in the type of players allowed to join.

1. First off to allow the members to network & quickly get into games with various other players.

2. Second is the difference between other clubs. This club will be by invitation only. This will allow us to only invite players that meet certain criteria.

A. No member will cheat, glitch, mod, hack, or exploit ever or they will be removed from the group & reported if caught.

B. All members are mature gamers who conduct themselves respectfully. Minor trash talk is okay but excessive raging will not be permitted.

C. Members will not rage quit from a match. The members will also conduct themselves professionally during matches.

The purpose of this club will exist to make meeting new players & good fair gamers easier. Finding good games with mature players will become inevitably much quicker & resulted in better quality of matches. I have a lot of friends who are great players & a blast to play with unfortunately they are not members of this forum but their ideas on how to play fairly are mutual with the people in this community. I'm sure as well that the members of this forum also have friends who are not so different. Almost every private match I play in everyone in session is a friend or a mutual friend. Very rarely do I deal with toxic players.

I hope that you guys understand what I'm trying to achieve & hopefully we can get a lot of us on board to kickstart this thing. Maybe PlayStation can also create the same thing. The goal is for the players who don't have anyone to play with can use the group to find well trusted gamers who will welcome them rather then teamkill. I often at times don't have many people online or most are already in full games.

Or Just buddy up with people from here, we're always looking for more players. Lobbies fill up fast, but the more lobbies we have going the better! Provides more diversity, and a better overall experience!

• Thanks 1

Patch the delayed response time with Jasons grab button when coming out of shift as well as combat mode. It's annoying. Hopefully this'll fix the time out's and hosts leaving.

5 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

In October 2017, we announced that we would begin working on updating the Friday the 13th: The Game to the latest version of the Unreal Engine. This update will allow us to address many problems that negatively impact game performance as well as fix bugs that can’t be fixed otherwise. It’s also absolutely required for us to continue working on Dedicated Servers for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game.

We estimate that the integration of the new engine will be completed, at the earliest, sometime in April. The nature of this update means that there will be no regular patches until it is released. Upgrading the engine means touching every piece of content in the game, updating new content that is being created, and needing to retest all core features and gameplay balance to make sure they are not affected.With the release of the latest balance and bug fix patches, we’re now able to transition the full team to working on this upgrade. We will be posting regular news updates on our fixes as well as our plans for future changes throughout this process.

We look forward to all of your feedback and we’re all very excited for the future of Friday the 13th: The Game! Thank you all for your patience and continued support!

What will updating the engine change or improve? (Please keep in mind that we will have more specifics closer to release)

• Potential for physics improvements and fixes for vehicles, ragdolls, hair, and more
  • Better performance on all platforms
  • Required support for Dedicated Servers on the Xbox One and Playstation 4
  • Fixes for long standing issues that will be automatically resolved by moving to the new engine version

Will the Dedicated Servers for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 be released with the engine update patch?
No. The engine update patch is, however, a critical component in getting Dedicated Servers functioning on consoles, and is absolutely required for us to get there. Unfortunately, that does mean that our focus has to be on the update first - so we’ll need to wait until that’s wrapping up to start estimating the work remaining to get to Dedicated Servers, and provide you with that information.

How does this affect the current Road Map?
Following the release of Jason Part 5 and Pinehurst, the content on the roadmap from November will be delayed while we focus on engine updates and prepare for dedicated servers. We’ll be communicating regularly with everyone about the engine change and the content affected by it, as well as teasing new content during this period. We will not be creating a new roadmap until we’re at a point where we’re comfortable with the dates involved - we want to make sure that when we tell you something is coming, you can count on it.

3 hours ago, scorpio said:

WHERE the pardon my french but F did this stuff about having to update the game engine before they can work on anything from this point onwards - including dedicated servers come from?

Read Shifty's statement above.

8 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Read Shifty's statement above.

I have, my point still stands that for the past 5 months they have told us they were working on dedicated servers for consoles. This implies they knew since October that they couldn't implement dedicated servers without first doing this engine update. They never told us this. Instead we were being lead to believe dedicated servers were being worked on. NOT that a new Engine update was being worked on instead, which was required BEFORE any work could be done on the dedicated servers! 

Anyways, I'm done, I honestly don't care enough anymore to point out anymore of the blatent run arounds they've been giving their customers for the past 5+ months. This was the final nail in the coffin for me with this game. I've deleted it from my hardrive before and it looks like I'll be doing it again! There's no motivation with this 'news' for me to keep tirelessly grinding thru at a rediculous rate the EXP from level 70-150 on XB1 - I can manage to complete 1 out of every 3-4 matches if I am lucky without the game dashboarding, the host leaving, or some other crash occuring. At this point I honestly don't believe AT ALL they'll ever deliver even half of the sh*t they've promised that we are still missing. All we as consumers have been given is constant misinformation, broken promises and excuses after excuses with whole months without any information given at all. I'm done, there are FAR better games than this to devote my time and energy to and at this point it's just not worth it! SMH - How anyone can be 'happy' about this latest news is beyond me. It literally contradicts information we were given all of 1 week ago. Last week they said Paranoia was 'on hold' so they could focus on dedicated servers. Now we are told the following week that they can't work on those dedicated servers until this engine update is complete. They must have known this last week, or hell even since October, so why has it taken this long to get any kind of straight answer out of them about dedicated servers. An answer that contradicts what we have been told previously?! - Fool Me Once shame on u, fool me twice........ - at this point I honestly don't believe a damn thing they have to say, coz history tells me it's probably BS!  

I hope they made as much money as they could from Fri 13th coz a lot of backers/people who bought the game won't be supporting anything else they do in the future after this sh*t show! 

This certainly raises a lot more questions than answers as well.  How is it that it took them a whole 5 months to tell the community dedicated servers are not coming for something that was almost live at the time?  Either way there is a lie somewhere that's intent was to misdirect the community.  You can't say it's almost live and then now say you can't do it because of the outdated engine.  That would seem to be an issue you would have discovered back during that time with almost going live with them so why string the community along with BS answers like we can't talk about it because of NDAs or make it seem like they were happening soon full on knowing they werent?

4 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

This certainly raises a lot more questions than answers as well.  How is it that it took them a whole 5 months to tell the community dedicated servers are not coming for something that was almost live at the time?  Either way there is a lie somewhere that's intent was to misdirect the community.  You can't say it's almost live and then now say you can't do it because of the outdated engine.  That would seem to be an issue you would have discovered back during that time with almost going live with them so why string the community along with BS answers like we can't talk about it because of NDAs or make it seem like they were happening soon full on knowing they werent?

I think it’s obvious by now that they just lie. That’s it. The release. The servers. Single player. The recent Savini “leak”. All lies. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scorpio said:

Ok so the update is out now - check the twitter. If someone can copy/paste it into this thread that would be much appreciated.

Just reading thru the notes now. One thing that stands out straight away is the claim that the work on dedicated servers started in October. I was under the impression that they had become work back in August and had stated initially that they had expected the servers to be ready by October, so this seems suspect to me! Reading the rest atm! - Will update in a min! :) 

Ok so now I'm reading that 'It’s also absolutely required for us to continue working on Dedicated Servers for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game'

implying that no more work can even be done towards dedicated servers until this Unreal Engine is updated, which won't be happening until April earliest?! 

REALLY?! SMH - so we can expect dedicated servers now sometime (probably long after) April - so lets say 2 months more to finish work on them after the update goes thru, so June 2018 - EARLIEST?! SMH - This is not the news I was hoping for. This seems ridiculous! :( 

'Following the release of Jason Part 5 and Pinehurst, the content on the roadmap from November will be delayed while we focus on engine updates and prepare for dedicated servers.'

Are u kidding me - so no new content - most likely until June onwards - assuming it takes a couple of months to work on that stuff and assuming this Unreal Engine update happens in April - which they said would be the EARLIEST - ffs - so an ENTIRE YEAR after release and we may still be without the single player challenges and without dedicated servers for consoles at that point...............slow clap! 

If this doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for this game I don't know what will, SMH! :( ...................................... :( 

I posted already in the other thread.  You are spot on that this is 100% the end of the game's meaningful support in my opinion.  They now have months to allegedly work before they resume any work on dedicated servers or content.  That puts us close to or into the summer most likely for dedicated servers.  By that time though, I bet they decide there is no longer a business justification for them due to sales / active user base.  And for the same reason they will never revisit paranoia.  

My guess is the engine upgrade will carry into whatever they do next.  I am also guessing the devs really loved the game, but the people pulling the purse strings were more in love with keeping the massive profits than reinvesting them.  No other way for me to rationalize how something this successful did not get much better and more timely updates.  

Even if by some miracle they implement dedicated console servers, the day they cheap out and shut down the servers for a given platform...we're all right back to the current host-leaver shitshow that is PS4/xbx right now, no?

Am I correct in thinking that whatever its drawbacks relative to dedicated servers, host migration would have been a longer-term fix that didn't rely on an ongoing expense (i.e., servers)?

1 minute ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Am I correct in thinking that whatever its drawbacks relative to dedicated servers, host migration would have been a longer-term fix that didn't rely on an ongoing expense (i.e., servers).

Sounds about right to me. I need to go back and reread that post.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Even if by some miracle they implement dedicated console servers, the day they cheap out and shut down the servers for a given platform...we're all right back to the current host-leaver shitshow that is PS4/xbx right now, no?

Am I correct in thinking that whatever its drawbacks relative to dedicated servers, host migration would have been a longer-term fix that didn't rely on an ongoing expense (i.e., servers)?

That's what I am thinking too.  My concern is dedicated servers are only good until the revenue stops exceeding the cost and required profit for continued investment. And I am kinda worried that the cost / profit exceeds revenue by the time they are ready to implement, or allegedly ready to implement.  

One ray of hope for me is the prospect of making it a PS+ game at the same time they begin launching a steadier stream of paid content.  That too would be a double edge sword though, because I doubt they will make more free content available from then on, even if some of the content was initially planned as free.

This is the first multiplayer game I've ever played for a pronged amount of time, and I no really very little about multiplayer games... so I'm curious as to how long dedicated or even standard multiplayer servers generally last? 

Is it as soon as DLC no longer becomes profitable for the game?

I mean I've heard of old games like Counter Strike that seem to be still going today. I believe people still play the AvP 2 game from 2001.

51 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

This is the first multiplayer game I've ever played for a pronged amount of time, and I no really very little about multiplayer games... so I'm curious as to how long dedicated or even standard multiplayer servers generally last? 

Is it as soon as DLC no longer becomes profitable for the game?

I mean I've heard of old games like Counter Strike that seem to be still going today. I believe people still play the AvP 2 game from 2001.

I do not think there's any sort of general rule on the issue.  Rather, it comes down to how long do the people paying for it believe it is in their best interests to keep paying for it.  And sometimes, an online game is pulled very quickly.  Just last week a fairly new game was given its death sentence and the publisher said they are refunding all purchases.  All comes down to money.  Do the servers make enough money to keep investing in them?  If not, do we really need to keep them open for other reasons such as maintaining good will?  If the purse string gods say no to both, support ends.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TimmyJarvis said:

I do not think there's any sort of general rule on the issue.  Rather, it comes down to how long do the people paying for it believe it is in their best interests to keep paying for it.  And sometimes, an online game is pulled very quickly.  Just last week a fairly new game was given its death sentence and the publisher said they are refunding all purchases.  All comes down to money.  Do the servers make enough money to keep investing in them?  If not, do we really need to keep them open for other reasons such as maintaining good will?  If the purse string gods say no to both, support ends.

If not for paid DLC... How do publishers/developers continue to make money from multiplayer? This is what I don't understand...its not like there are ads in  game or in the lobby. 

Though I wonder why video games haven't utilised product placement yet. I could live with cans and bottles of Coca Cola in every cabin kitchen - if it meant the game had a longer life span. ?

6 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

I could live with cans and bottles of Coca Cola in every cabin kitchen - if it meant the game had a longer life span. ?

But Roca Soda is so much better!

1 hour ago, Splatterhouse said:

If not for paid DLC... How do publishers/developers continue to make money from multiplayer? This is what I don't understand...its not like there are ads in  game or in the lobby. 

Though I wonder why video games haven't utilised product placement yet. I could live with cans and bottles of Coca Cola in every cabin kitchen - if it meant the game had a longer life span. ?

If you see my post right above the one you quoted, you will see I am in favor of releasing it as a PS+ game to increase paid dlc sales.  It would be a double edge sword because that would probably end all free dlc, but I would take the drawback in exchange for meaningful long term support server side.