Sign in to follow this  
Jason4prez

Unpopular opinions on horror films

Okay let me clarify DONT BE A DICK these are people's opinions and only that. I'll start with one that will piss a lot of people off. I think that (1974) the Texas chainsaw massacre is excruciatingly boring and that might be just because I have ADHD but whatever. And I don't mind the first rob zombie Halloween remake i found it enjoyable. Your turn 

I actually like Friday the 13th Part 5. Maybe it's a soft spot but it was the first F13 movie I ever saw. My first memory of Jason was the opening scene when Jason's grave was dug up by the 2 hooligans and you see his body and mask covered in dirt and worms. That's an iconic image to me. On my first viewing as a kid I didn't see all of it in one go. In fact I only remember seeing the opening and the climax as a kid. I must have been playing with my toys at the time. Roy the imposter was my first "Jason" and that must be why I like the movie. Judging the movie on its own merits, it's not a half bad movie. It's not GOOD, but objectively speaking most of the F13 movies are bad when you hold them up to real film standards like the Oscars.

Another movie that comes to mind: I think Alien is a very tedious movie. I get that character development is important but nothing noteworthy happens until the facehugger attacks Kane. Older movies have that "slow burn" where the first act or even first half, nothing important in the plot happens and it's just long drawn out character dialogue and exposition, a lot of which doesn't even matter by the time the plot actually starts moving. I prefer movies where the plot and character building happen simultaneously. I don't want to sit through 20-30 minutes of people talking about nothing in particular just to get a "feel for their character" before the important stuff happens.

Most of them suck with about 25 exceptions out of about a million different movies lol. There's only about 25 horror movies I like and I've watched around 150 in my life time. But I like those 25 so much that I keep giving horror a shot and I'm fascinated by the idea of the genre. I like it when it's done right. I guess this is a complicated way of saying that I like horror, but it's picky.

- Dream Master is my favorite Nightmare On Elm Street movie because of the awesome soundtrack, Alice Johnson’s character development from a shy introvert into a confident, and the kills in the movie. The kills do disgust me( such as the roach motel scene and Freddy’s pizza) but every Freddy movie makes me nauseous. Freddy’s Dead was not that bad. I actually liked it and it was the first Nightmare I saw.

-Jaws was a little boring 

-Halloween III was great and it doesn’t deserve the hate it gets. OG Halloween II is just...meh.

-I liked the prequel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

-I didn’t see it yet so I’m reserving judgment on it, but I think the new Carrie movie was needed. As much as I thought the original adaptation was good, it’s so outdated and so 70s that my hair automatically puffs into an Afro just by watching it. And bullying is a bigger issue now than it was in 1976.

-In terms of horror characters that talk, I find the concept of a killer doll much more frightening than some prick in a Christmas sweater and a cowboy hat killing people in their dreams. I still love you Freddy, but Brad Dourif’s voice is terrifying.

More to be announced later...

I agree with you on everything except OG Halloween II being eh and Dream Master being the best Elm Street. I like the first three Halloweens about the same and I think the best Elm Street is either the original or New Nightmare 

I not only love The Witch but I found it to be one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.

I also do not like any of the Nightmare on Elm St movies other than 1, 2, and the remake. 

9 hours ago, Jason4prez said:

I think that (1974) the Texas chainsaw massacre is excruciatingly boring

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. It is one of three films that actually scared me when I first watched it. Of course, that could be because I was very young, I lived in Texas, and I believed it was real. I had nightmares for weeks after seeing this for the first time. Any movie that can scare me like that will always have a special place in my heart.

6 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I actually like Friday the 13th Part 5

I agree with you 100% on this one. Roy was a better Jason than a lot of the people that played Jason. I like it too.

6 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Another movie that comes to mind: I think Alien is a very tedious movie

I do disagree with this one, as it is one of my favorite horror movies. But, not everyone shares the same opinion on everything, and that is cool.

2 hours ago, LadySansaLannister said:

Jaws was a little boring 

I think that in today's horror environment, that may be true. When it was released, it was pretty shocking.

Halloween III was great and it doesn’t deserve the hate it gets.

I do agree with this one wholeheartedly. If this movie was just called Season Of the Witch, I think it would have been better received. I think too many people just got butthurt because Michael wasn't in it. I won't comment on OG Halloween, because we definitely won't see eye to eye on this one. :lol:

-In terms of horror characters that talk, I find the concept of a killer doll much more frightening than some prick in a Christmas sweater and a cowboy hat killing people in their dreams.

The first Child's Play was pretty creepy, but I think it got pretty campy after that. Of course, Freddy flew straight into cheesy territory as time went on too. But, the idea of Freddy in the first movie did freak me out when I first saw it. I do really like both franchises though.

Ok, on to mine. Jump scares aren't scary. Period. They have a place if they are well done, but I believe they are overused in modern horror flicks. And that last "boogy boogy scare" that the Paranormal Activity and Insidious films are so well known for just cheapen the films.

The last 3 minutes of the original Friday the 13th should have never happened. As soon as Alice was pulled into the water, they should have faded to black. I know, this is kind of the "boogy boogy" scare that I mentioned before, but this was before it had become so cliche'. I also realize the scene with the cop talking to Alice was included to make it possible for a sequel, but I don't really think it was needed.

The Omen wasn't scary. This is strange for me to say, because creepy ass kids usually freak me out. (Pet Sematary did). I saw this when I was pretty young, and Damien just annoyed me, he didn't scare me.

I'm sure I have plenty more, maybe I will add to the list later.

Oh man, time to burn some bridges here.

-Halloween II has aged much better than Halloween

-Freddy's Revenge is my favorite Nightmare on Elm St. movie

-Kane Hodder is good, but he's not even in my top 3 favorite Jasons

-The Conjuring, Insidious, and Sinister are all terrible

-The Exorcist is about 90% tedium, and 10% famous scenes that are the only thing keeping the movie memorable

@LadySansaLannister I agree with Halloween 3 and NOES part 4 being great. Part 4 was my favorite in the series for a long time. Freddys lines were fantastic. Halloween 3 is a cool and fun film. I think John Carpenter took a huge risk running it under the Halloween title and we see how that worked out. Honestly, I may have preferred more Halloween movies to come out like that every year, rather than continually reviving Michael Myers as much as I love him.

@Rexfellis I actually enjoy the original omen series. Maybe it's because the anti Christ is such a creepy subject to me. Although I take part and accept no organized religion for several reasons, I had been raised Lutheran and so this idea slightly terrifies me. I don't think they are scary, but disturbing. 

@shaderaygun think of how traumatized the public was when The Exorcist came out. Not to mention, one of the few films that sticks nearly dead on to the book. Honestly, the first Exorcist is amazing to me.

To the OP, original TCM was amazing for its gritiness. The grainy, dark quality of the film. I had first seen it after learning about Ed gein so this movie creeped me out. I actually really enjoyed the remake a lot. Along the lines of this film I think house of 1000 Corpses and Frontier(s) get a ton of homage from the film, and do it fantastically.

Here is one that should get a lot of people heated: most slasher films are cliche and boring to me. I enjoy a lot of them for interesting kills, but otherwise find them dull and predictable.

I cannot stand "found footage" films. They are plagued with camera shots of the ground, shaky camera shots, horrible scripts and mediocre acting, and an obligatory shot of someone staring at the camera super close looking terrified. They often start freaking out at absolutely nothing. One that I do somewhat enjoy, but literally has all of these is The Sacrament. Completely based off Jim Jones(which I think he has an amazing life story), at one point the guy is interviewing Father and gets freaked out Father knew he was married. The interviewer had a fucking wedding ring on the whole time! Don't exactly need Robert Stack for that unsolved mystery. Can't stand Cloverfield, Blair Witch, etc. I did enjoy the first two Paranormal Activity movies though. 

I can't do films like Salo: 120 Days of Sodom, A Serbian Film, I Spit on Your Grave, Last House on the Left, or August Underground. A few mentioned above have some greatness to them as films, but rape, pedophilia and snuff films lack artistic integrity to me and I find the subject matter too grotesque or disturbing. AU is pure garbage and I live in the same city as Fred Vogel. Salo, Serbian, and Last House all are honestly good films, but no way can I sit through that shit. 

2 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

@Rexfellis I actually enjoy the original omen series. Maybe it's because the anti Christ is such a creepy subject to me. Although I take part and accept no organized religion for several reasons, I had been raised Lutheran and so this idea slightly terrifies me. I don't think they are scary, but disturbing. 

I was raised Catholic and the The Exorcist got to me. The Omen just didn't do it for me for some reason, but I can see how it could disturb someone who was raised in a religious household. It may have just been the mood I was in the first time I saw the original, but Damien just got on my nerves.

10 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I was raised Catholic and the The Exorcist got to me. The Omen just didn't do it for me for some reason, but I can see how it could disturb someone who was raised in a religious household. It may have just been the mood I was in the first time I saw the original, but Damien just got on my nerves.

Hahaha I could see getting irritated with his whining and crying. Especially when they were going to the funeral and he is being a little bitch, throwing a tantrum

This one usually gets people going:

I think The Shining is garbage. It has a couple memorable scenes but is otherwise one of the most overrated movies ever, in my eyes. :) 

51 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

This one usually gets people going:

I think The Shining is garbage. It has a couple memorable scenes but is otherwise one of the most overrated movies ever, in my eyes. :) 

You heathen! I cast your soul to the damning fires of Hell!!!

Wait..I meant that I do not agree with you at all. I love The Shining. I'll admit that the book scared me a lot more than the movie, but I am a big fan of the movie.

But, I do believe that Stephen King would agree with your assessment. Of course, that could just be because Kubrick kicked his ass off the set. ;) 

• Like 2

I also don't like the first nightmare on elm street and lik Halloween 2 much more than the original Halloween ( original Halloween 2 not the rob zombie one because wtf)

I never understood why people thought Tim Curry's Pennywise was scary. So many people have pointed to him as their example of why they think clowns are scary and I never saw it.

I think Kane Hodder is a bit overrated. I can respect his dedication to the character but to me he was Jason in all the bad movies.

I also think the final version of the sleepy bag kill from Part 7 is terrible, it felt limp, don't understand how it got poplar in that state.

Chucky vs Leprechaun is a stupid match up. Chucky was a serious horror icon (like Freddy, Jason, and Michel) unlike Leprechaun who was always meant to be a joke character. I feel like Chucky is the Aquaman of horror icons, both getting looked down on when they deserve to be seen as equals to the other big names, It not like Freddy and Jason didn't both get really stupid and goofy as time went on too.

Ghost movies like Paranormal Activity and Insidious bore me.

...I like Freddy vs Jason. This movie was my gateway into the horror genre and I still enjoy it.

I don’t like most “iconic” bronzen age horror movies that everyone seems to praise.

From all the horror movies I’ve watched I only enjoyed watching around 1/3 of them the other 2/3 were either stupid or boring.

I find that pretty much ALL of the vampire villains are extremely blah. Every time I watch something with vampires there is all of this history and legacy crap in it. Way to much tradition and emotion and junk like that. And I'm not even talking about that twilight crap. I have not even seen that.  Then they top it off by trying to make it all sexual.

We need a vampire to just go nuts and wipe everyone out without crying about the past and fallen of his race against werewolves or whatever whining his has going on.

2 hours ago, J-Ray said:

I find that pretty much ALL of the vampire villains are extremely blah. Every time I watch something with vampires there is all of this history and legacy crap in it. Way to much tradition and emotion and junk like that. And I'm not even talking about that twilight crap. I have not even seen that.  Then they top it off by trying to make it all sexual.

We need a vampire to just go nuts and wipe everyone out without crying about the past and fallen of his race against werewolves or whatever whining his has going on.

30 Days of Night might be up your alley. Or Salem's Lot if you like older vampire movies. Both made vampires the monsters that I think they should be.

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

30 Days of Night might be up your alley. Or Salem's Lot if you like older vampire movies. Both made vampires the monsters that I think they should be.

I shouldn't say this in public but honestly......... my favorite "scary" type movies are the I know what you did last summer. haha, I know, It's immature but I love those teen 90s movies so much.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:36 AM, Rexfellis said:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. It is one of three films that actually scared me when I first watched it. Of course, that could be because I was very young, I lived in Texas, and I believed it was real. I had nightmares for weeks after seeing this for the first time. Any movie that can scare me like that will always have a special place in my heart.

I agree with you 100% on this one. Roy was a better Jason than a lot of the people that played Jason. I like it too.

I do disagree with this one, as it is one of my favorite horror movies. But, not everyone shares the same opinion on everything, and that is cool.

I think that in today's horror environment, that may be true. When it was released, it was pretty shocking.

I do agree with this one wholeheartedly. If this movie was just called Season Of the Witch, I think it would have been better received. I think too many people just got butthurt because Michael wasn't in it. I won't comment on OG Halloween, because we definitely won't see eye to eye on this one. :lol:

The first Child's Play was pretty creepy, but I think it got pretty campy after that. Of course, Freddy flew straight into cheesy territory as time went on too. But, the idea of Freddy in the first movie did freak me out when I first saw it. I do really like both franchises though.

Ok, on to mine. Jump scares aren't scary. Period. They have a place if they are well done, but I believe they are overused in modern horror flicks. And that last "boogy boogy scare" that the Paranormal Activity and Insidious films are so well known for just cheapen the films.

The last 3 minutes of the original Friday the 13th should have never happened. As soon as Alice was pulled into the water, they should have faded to black. I know, this is kind of the "boogy boogy" scare that I mentioned before, but this was before it had become so cliche'. I also realize the scene with the cop talking to Alice was included to make it possible for a sequel, but I don't really think it was needed.

The Omen wasn't scary. This is strange for me to say, because creepy ass kids usually freak me out. (Pet Sematary did). I saw this when I was pretty young, and Damien just annoyed me, he didn't scare me.

I'm sure I have plenty more, maybe I will add to the list later.

I don't think Jaws could ever be called boring. Even when 'Bruce' isn't chomping on swimmers its totally absorbing because the acting and direction is so good ... I can't think of a single part of that film that drags. Its perfection in my book.

If we want to talk about classics that don't live up to the hype though, I gotta throw The Exorcist in there.  I finally saw it when the UK ban was lifted in the late 90s, and even though I knew it would never live up to expectations I still felt it was a let down. Its just not that scary ... where's the threat? Spoilt rich girl has to be tied to bed, oooooo, watch out! I still think its a good film as its well made, its just not that scary.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I don't think Jaws could ever be called boring. Even when 'Bruce' isn't chomping on swimmers its totally absorbing because the acting and direction is so good ... I can't think of a single part of that film that drags. Its perfection in my book.

If we want to talk about classics that don't live up to the hype though, I gotta throw The Exorcist in there.  I finally saw it when the UK ban was lifted in the late 90s, and even though I knew it would never live up to expectations I still felt it was a let down. Its just not that scary ... where's the threat? Spoilt rich girl has to be tied to bed, oooooo, watch out! I still think its a good film as its well made, its just not that scary.

While I personally agree with you on Jaws, you have to think about when it was released. I saw it as a child, and it really stuck with me. I can see how people who did not see the film until 20-30 years after it's release could think it is boring. I love the movie, and while I don't think its "perfect", it is one of the best films out there. I'm actually glad Ol' 'Bruce" didn't perform like the film makers wanted him to. I think the fact that the viewer rarely saw the shark made it scarier.

My point on Jaws leads me to my disagreement with you on The Exorcist. It was a movie that I saw years after it's release, but, given the landscape of the U.S in 1973 I'm sure it was shocking as hell. (Pun intended). Christianity was by far the the largest religion in the United States. I use the US, because that is where the film was made, with a US audience in mind. The idea of the antichrist was terrifying to the general movie-going public. I'm not sure if this is true, but wikepedia says the film was not actually banned in the UK, but rather carried and X rating. Here is an excerpt 

The theatrical version was passed, uncut, with an X rating, by the BBFC in 1974 and has forever been legal. The original home video of the film was released in 1979 and was not banned per se, but Warner decided not to submit the film for classification for a few years following the video nasty crisis (as they didn't want to take any chances due to high probability of an official ban) and the implementation of the Video Recordings Act 1984 in 1986. It was not until 1999 that the video was finally submitted and passed, uncut, with an 18 rating.[26][48]

But, I digress. The Exorcist did scare me when I saw it in the early 80s, due to the fact that I was raised Catholic, and the thought of demon possession was a very real fear that I had at the time. Watching it now, it is the nostalgia that still holds that fear for me. I do not consider myself particularly religious now, but things you learn in your childhood tend to stick with you. Again, I can see how people watching the film for the first time after the slasher, video nasty, and exploitation film crazes would not find it frightening at all. It still gets to me, even after all of these years.

TL;DR I love Jaws and The Exorcist. But, that could be because I saw both when I was very young.

I too liked Halloween III mostly because I realized after reading reviews and thinking about it, I just viewed it for what was Carpenter's plan for Halloween: A anthology series with a different story for each sequel. It's got a great soundtrack and it does have John Carpenter's influence. Plus, it tackled other things like the commentary of commercialization of Halloween and the death of children in horror films. The ending still creeps me out to this day.

I like Halloween 4-6 more than H20 and Resurrection mostly because Part 6 was my first exposure to the series. Michael was so damn brutal in the Theatrical Cut but is just like what he was in the first one in the Producer's Cut.

The 1989 version of Phantom of the Opera with Robert Englund isn't that bad, it mostly got trashed because it was released around the time the musical came out. I got past the opera parts in England when it's set in France in the story. Erik in this version is closer to that of the Phantom in the original story (which I read not too long ago) in being a killer.

I enjoy Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow more than I do the story of Sleepy Hollow from Washington Irving.

Rosemary's Baby is garbage. :)

@PurpleFloyd

While I like JAWS, it's always been boring as fuck to me. So slow... I get it, but after every film repeating the pacing and reveal for decades it's become boring. Boring but still a good movie. Citizen Kane is boring as fuck too but I can appreciate what it brough to filmmaking.