Jump to content
BlackWidowofLaPorte

Rest in Peace, Keela

Recommended Posts

My dog Keela was attacked by another dog yesterday. She was hurt pretty badly, but none of her wounds were in vital spots. I left her at the vet so they could operate and keep her overnight. I got the call an hour ago that she didn't make it.

I don't know how to deal with this loss.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to heart that, I wish you the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

My dog Keela was attacked by another dog yesterday. She was hurt pretty badly, but none of her wounds were in vital spots. I left her at the vet so they could operate and keep her overnight. I got the call an hour ago that she didn't make it.

I don't know how to deal with this loss.

The one thing that will make the pain go away is the one thing no one wants to hear.

It's time.

It's going to hurt like indescribable hell for a long time. But one day -- one wonderful day -- you'll think of her, and it will be more happy than sad.

It happens. It just takes an incredibly painful grieving process to get through first. But it does get better. 

It just can never happen quickly enough.

My deepest condolences.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very sorry for your loss. Our dogs seen to love us unconditionally, even unreasonable, sometimes. It is heart-wrenching when we lose them.

If it helps, tell us about Keela. What was she like?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I'm very sorry for your lost. Our dogs seen to love us unconditionally, even unreasonable, sometimes. It is heart-wrenching when we lose them.

If it helps, tell us about Keela. What was she like?

Keela was a Jack Russell Terrier. She was 12 years old, and she probably would have lived to 20. She was hyper in her youth, just like all jacks. She'd sprint across the house, try to jump on tables (she succeeded most of the time), bark at everything. She was really cranky, too, she'd always beg for table food (that was our fault, we spoiled her), but in her later years she mellowed out. She didn't run around as much, it got harder for her to jump on the couch or the bed. But she was still the same noisy girl we adopted 12 years ago.

She just had surgery a few weeks ago to remove a tumor above her ovaries. It wasn't cancerous, but we just wanted to be safe. I couldn't have imagined we'd be taking her back so soon, only for her not to return home with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a dog lover and I once had this dog named chance she was an amazing dog but she was also 13yrs old I didn't realize at the time because I was only ten but she was slowing down. She was in pain daily but she held on for us because dogs will love you regardless. One day I came home from school and after school I would usually take chance out to play but when I called her name nothing happened and than my mom broke the news that her and my dad decided that she should be put down because she was in too much pain. I didn't understand at the time and frankly I still don't fully understand now but I realized that if she was holding on for us it was our turn to hold on for her she was strong because she loved us and we had to do the same she would not want us to be sad but to be happy and remember all the good times we had! And I know that I just wrote a mini book but I think keela would want you to be strong and remember all the good times as well I hope this helped you through your tough time and I wish you the best. ( I'm sorry if I sound like a moron I'm not too good at typing)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

Keela was a Jack Russell Terrier. She was 12 years old, and she probably would have lived to 20. She was hyper in her youth, just like all jacks. She'd sprint across the house, try to jump on tables (she succeeded most of the time), bark at everything. She was really cranky, too, she'd always beg for table food (that was our fault, we spoiled her), but in her later years she mellowed out. She didn't run around as much, it got harder for her to jump on the couch or the bed. But she was still the same noisy girl we adopted 12 years ago.

She just had surgery a few weeks ago to remove a tumor above her ovaries. It wasn't cancerous, but we just wanted to be safe. I couldn't have imagined we'd be taking her back so soon, only for her not to return home with us.

She sounds like a fun, sweet, lively little rascal. I hope the good times you shared with her will help comfort you and your family.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason4prez said:

I am a dog lover and I once had this dog named chance she was an amazing dog but she was also 13yrs old I didn't realize at the time because I was only ten but she was slowing down. She was in pain daily but she held on for us because dogs will love you regardless. One day I came home from school and after school I would usually take chance out to play but when I called her name nothing happened and than my mom broke the news that her and my dad decided that she should be put down because she was in too much pain. I didn't understand at the time and frankly I still don't fully understand now but I realized that if she was holding on for us it was our turn to hold on for her she was strong because she loved us and we had to do the same she would not want us to be sad but to be happy and remember all the good times we had! And I know that I just wrote a mini book but I think keela would want you to be strong and remember all the good times as well I hope this helped you through your tough time and I wish you the best. ( I'm sorry if I sound like a moron I'm not too good at typing)

 

4 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

She sounds like a fun, sweet, lively little rascal. I hope the good times you shared with her will help comfort you and your family.

Thank you both for your kind words. But without Keela, I feel as though I have no one left to drive me forward. She was my family, and she meant more to me than I did to myself. Without her, I have nothing. I don't know if I will ever recover from this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

Thank you both for your kind words. But without Keela, I feel as though I have no one left to drive me forward. She was my family, and she meant more to me than I did to myself. Without her, I have nothing. I don't know if I will ever recover from this. 

I want to echo what @Cokeyskunk said earlier, this is going to hurt, right now, but you can heal. It won't happen quickly, but your heart will pull together again. Please know that we care, and that we are thinking about you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

I don't know how to deal with this loss.

Cry like a motherfucker...which is what I'm about to do if I don't leave this thread.

Everything passes.....even the pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlackWidowofLaPorte said:

 

Thank you both for your kind words. But without Keela, I feel as though I have no one left to drive me forward. She was my family, and she meant more to me than I did to myself. Without her, I have nothing. I don't know if I will ever recover from this. 

I am sorry for your loss.I don't own any pets,but i lost my dad a year and a half ago,due to many unexpected health issues all going bad at once.I did 2 weeks of at home-hospice care for him untill he passed.My mom and my ex wife were kind enough to watch him during the times i was at work.Right now my mom is dying of cancer,don't know how much longer she'll live.My first girlfriend died a few years ago due to a drug problem,even though many of her family and friends were trying to get her off drugs.Loss always hurts when it comes to someone you care about,no matter if it's family,a friend,or a pet.Find comfort in those you still have,because true loved ones are so hard to come by these days,but always remember the ones who are gone with fond memories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to hear. It's never easy to lose a loved one regardless of whether it's human or animal especially when it isn't expected. Like others have said, it's going to hurt a lot and the only thing that will help is time. The thing many of us do, and I urge you not to do, is to blame yourself.  Also, try not to be alone; try to hang out with family and friends. Wishing you nothing but the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BlackWidowofLaPorte I am truly sorry for your loss. I am a dog lover as well, and I know how bad it hurts when you lose a furry family member. Especially one that has been with you for so long. She sounds like she had a really great life with you, and a lot of personality. Just try to remember how much of a joy she was, and eventually the sadness will go away. You may always miss her, but you will start to remember the happy times with her more as time goes on. I wish the best for you and your family.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×