Jump to content
ZillaMeister

Best obscure slasher films?

Recommended Posts

What are some of the best slasher movies that not everybody knows about?

Personally one of my favorites is The Burning (1981).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleepaway Camp, Sleepaway Camp, Sleepaway Camp.

It competes with Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives as my all time favorite slasher movie. There's so many interesting things in that film if you dig into it and look at symbolism and Freudian psychology, it's nuts. Plus, what other slasher film has someone getting killed by bees? It's my favorite movie to show people for the very first time, just to see their reactions to the ending.

I would also say The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976), which is one of the first slasher movies ever made. The Phantom Killer is really intimidating for an otherwise cheesy movie, and he inspired Jason's Part 2 appearance. Plus, one of the few slashers to use a gun as his primary weapon. This combined with a fun murder mystery plot makes it one of my favorites. Oh, and its poster was painted by the guy who did the Star Wars posters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I got the Sleepaway Camp DVD boxset as a gift, watched the first and last movies, yeah, pretty good. *thumbs up*

The Burning is pretty solid too, some nice kills especially in that one sequence which I'll refrain from mentioning in case of spoilers. ;)

Anyone ever seen Chopping Mall? Always wanted to check that out, just the name gets me, Chopping Mall, sounds like a winner. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Intruder. It's a late 80's slasher with some creative kills. It features the work of several people involved in the Evil Dead series. It also takes me back as the setting is a local grocery store, and I get nostalgic for the way those used to look.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is not so much a "slasher" movie, per se -- but definitely a homicidal killer movie. 

It's called Death Car on the Freeway. It's about this unseen killer who drives a white van. He cruises the highways, intentionally driving poorly.

He waits for ANY female driver to honk at him -- then he puts in a tape of bluegrass music, and relentlessly pursues them until he kills them (or they escape).

It features a veritable cornucopia of big name (and some not-so-big name) stars of the time.

A real nail-biter and a fun watch. Saw this one when I was a kid.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

 

It's called Death Car on the Freeway. It's about this unseen killer who drives a white van. He cruises the highways, intentionally driving poorly.

 

Don't about this movie, I'll check for it.

More recent, I know if it's obscure in US but it is in my country, in France, it's Malevolence and its sequel Bereavement, really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few 80s slashers (the best decade for slashers, in my humble opinion) that many may not know about:

The House On Sorority Row (1983)- Unfortunately, this one got lost in the influx of "Sorority" based exploitation slashers. This was not a T&A flick, although there were a couple of brief nude scenes, if I remember correctly. What sets this flick apart from those others is the awesome practical effects and the real feeling of suspense that was built up here. It was a cut above (pun intended) some of the generic horror films of the time.

The New York Ripper (1981)- I love Fulci's Giallo films, and that is what he is most remembered for. This film strays a bit from the standard Giallo formula, and more into pure slasher territory. There is a great detective story thrown in here as well. It may well be one of my favorites from the oft-lauded director. I highly recommend this one if you don't mind an actual story to go along with your slashing.

Slaughter High (1986)- I will admit that this is your basic "prank gone wrong, revenge ensues" plot. But, if you enjoy creative kills, you will definitely get a kick out of this one. And most of you Friday the 13th fanatics will enjoy Harry Manfredini's score in this one. I actually think he might have done a better job here than he did on the Friday movies.

Hell High ( 1989)- Unfortunately, this film came in at the end of the slasher craze and never really stood a chance because of it. It is actually a pretty solid slasher flick with twist that would have M. Night Shamalamadingdong scratching his head. I think it is a well put together slasher flick that flips some of the horror tropes on it's head. This is definitely one to check out if you haven't.

Return To Horror High (1987)- This might be my third favorite 80's horror-comedy behind  An American Werewolf In London and Return Of the Living Dead. It hops between fantasy  and reality sequences so much that you will be questioning whether it is the movie, or the "movie within the movie". I liken it to Pulp Fiction, with intestines and copious amounts of blood. May not be to everyone's liking, but I enjoyed it.

Hopefully a few people will find a gem or two in this list. Just a few horror flicks that I personally enjoyed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) isn't there already a thread like this about best underratred slasher films? You can see my choices there and include them here.

2) @Rexfellis can we name giallo in Slashers? If so, Argento and Fulci dominate here with Tenebrae, Deep Red, Bird with the Crystal plumage, New York Ripper, etc. Or did some of those titles reach into the Mystery part too much even though they have slasher elements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

 @Rexfellis can we name giallo in Slashers? If so, Argento and Fulci dominate here with Tenebrae, Deep Red, Bird with the Crystal plumage, New York Ripper, etc. Or did some of those titles reach into the Mystery part too much even though they have slasher elements?

I would consider Giallos to be slashers, because, even with the mystery elements thrown in, they are still slashers at their core. On the other hand, I think that there are so many great Giallos out there that they deserve their own category. I mean with Argento, Fulci, Bava, Martino, Lenzi, and the rest, there are hundreds of great flicks to choose from. They also inspired a lot of awesome directors and movies. You can tell that Hitchcock and Nathaniel Thompson were heavily influenced by Giallo films. And most slashers, as we know them, definitely got inspiration from their Italian predecessors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I may, here's my addition to the list with a virtually forgotten set of a TV film series that fits the slasher horror theme. Its a 1970's British series called 'Thriller' that always involves death, murder and usually a deranged slashing killer. Of course its highly dated and not 'horror' by todays standards, but some episodes really have good plots. It also has a memorable opening theme. 'DU-DER-DU DU-DER-DU DER-DER-DEEE!'

thriller1.jpg

Here's a slightly poor quality upload of one from Youtube. I picked this one because it had a memorable plot of a deranged knife man who ends up chasing a women up and down her office tower late at night. Parental guidance: Contains strong themes of questionable 70's facial hair.

I only saw these because my dad watched them and got a box set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original Black Christmas. 

I always heard about it but never saw it until this past holiday. I was surprisingly very impressed. It was great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, shaderaygun said:

Sleepaway Camp, Sleepaway Camp, Sleepaway Camp.

It competes with Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives as my all time favorite slasher movie. There's so many interesting things in that film if you dig into it and look at symbolism and Freudian psychology, it's nuts. Plus, what other slasher film has someone getting killed by bees? It's my favorite movie to show people for the very first time, just to see their reactions to the ending.

I would also say The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976), which is one of the first slasher movies ever made. The Phantom Killer is really intimidating for an otherwise cheesy movie, and he inspired Jason's Part 2 appearance. Plus, one of the few slashers to use a gun as his primary weapon. This combined with a fun murder mystery plot makes it one of my favorites. Oh, and its poster was painted by the guy who did the Star Wars posters.

Love Sleepaway Camp as well, a good companion piece to Friday the 13th ... and that ending, woah! I first saw the film about 8 years ago and had somehow managed to avoid any spoilers so I got to enjoy the ending as it was meant to be seen. I had to pick my chin up off the living room carpet! I had the Sleepaway boxset so was eager to see the sequels, but what a disappointment they were, utter garbage.

I'd second The Town That Dread Sundown to. Has an unsettling edge to it because its based on the actual Moonlight Murders that happened in Texarkana in 1946. Only down side is the tone which is all over the place at times ... like the 'comedy' police chase when the cops are tracking down one of the suspects and he sticks his car in to a swamp. The 2014 "meta-sequel" was actually half decent to, worth checking out.

For folks that like slasher films check out The Hysteria Continues podcast. Its the best podcast I've ever listened to, the guys doing it are very knowledgeable on slashers and make lots of great recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Elias Voorhees said:

^ I got the Sleepaway Camp DVD boxset as a gift, watched the first and last movies, yeah, pretty good. *thumbs up*

The Burning is pretty solid too, some nice kills especially in that one sequence which I'll refrain from mentioning in case of spoilers. ;)

Anyone ever seen Chopping Mall? Always wanted to check that out, just the name gets me, Chopping Mall, sounds like a winner. :)

I actually picked up Chopping Mall a few months back after one of the characters in the Agents Of SHIELD Marvel TV show mentioned it in an episode surprisingly enough! :D ...

... I'm not sure I'd call it a slasher as the villains are these cheap looking security robots that go haywire and start killing a group of young staff members who've hidden in a shopping mall for the night to party ... kinda like the Daleks from Dr. Who blended with The Terminator. Its fun in a cheesy way though, not overly long, and has a couple of good death scenes (one in particular is surprisingly messy!). If you see it cheap I'd pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 8:56 PM, Alien_Number_Six said:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a lost classic. Watch it.

This!!!

Also The Burning was good but it just got lost in the shuffle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I actually picked up Chopping Mall a few months back after one of the characters in the Agents Of SHIELD Marvel TV show mentioned it in an episode surprisingly enough! :D ...

... I'm not sure I'd call it a slasher as the villains are these cheap looking security robots that go haywire and start killing a group of young staff members who've hidden in a shopping mall for the night to party ... kinda like the Daleks from Dr. Who blended with The Terminator. Its fun in a cheesy way though, not overly long, and has a couple of good death scenes (one in particular is surprisingly messy!). If you see it cheap I'd pick it up.

Yeah, decided to check out it but got interupted halfway through. It's not exactly a slasher like I thought but good retro sci-fi/horror fun none the less. :)

Recognized the younger sister from "Night of the Comet" and the next door neighbour from "Gremlins" too. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hu_soldier13 said:

Also The Burning was good but it just got lost in the shuffle.

Yeah, but The Burning launched so many great careers. I do think that this film is a must for any slasher fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elias Voorhees said:

Yeah, decided to check out it but got interupted halfway through. It's not exactly a slasher like I thought but good retro sci-fi/horror fun none the less. :)

Recognized the younger sister from "Night of the Comet" and the next door neighbour from "Gremlins" too. ;)

Intruder is actually closer to what the title Chopping Mall would suggest, a killer run amok, chopping people in a retail space. I still love Chopping Mall, though.

In addition to the people you recognized, it also had John Terlesky (from Friday the 13th Part 2) and Barbara Crampon (from Re-Animator, among other things).

On 2/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

I had the Sleepaway boxset so was eager to see the sequels, but what a disappointment they were, utter garbage.

Maybe it's because I saw the Sleepaway Camp sequels first, but I actually have a fondness for the tongue-in-cheek, wink-at-the-camera nature of rest of the series and enjoy them as a separate piece, apart from the first movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always felt like Hell Night (1981) with Linda Blair is a lesser-known and underrated proto slasher.

With one of the strengths being the way in which is subverts expectation at times, since those strong slasher tropes aren't really built up yet. It builds up the scares more than the norm, as well, and the cinematography and set design is stronger than usual. Both the mansion and the gimmick of these students being in fancy regency outfits gives it an interesting look. And I really like Blair's character Marti being a tomboyish mechanic, again just a nice twist on your standard Final Girl type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Intruder is actually closer to what the title Chopping Mall would suggest, a killer run amok, chopping people in a retail space. I still love Chopping Mall, though.

In addition to the people you recognized, it also had John Terlesky (from Friday the 13th Part 2) and Barbara Crampon (from Re-Animator, among other things).

Maybe it's because I saw the Sleepaway Camp sequels first, but I actually have a fondness for the tongue-in-cheek, wink-at-the-camera nature of rest of the series and enjoy them as a separate piece, apart from the first movie. 

I think it was the acting in the Sleepaway Camp sequels ... I can take cheap effects, wonky sets, and hokey scripts, but when they've got useless actors reading the lines like its a school play, just ruins it for me ... it actually becomes painful to watch.

Just some of the line readings, my god!! I could have done better! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I think it was the acting in the Sleepaway Camp sequels ... I can take cheap effects, wonky sets, and hokey scripts, but when they've got useless actors reading the lines like its a school play, just ruins it for me ... it actually becomes painful to watch.

Just some of the line readings, my god!! I could have done better! :D

Oh I certainly can't fault you. Those movies require a deep level of love to enjoy. I also recognize that I am an unapologetic connoisseur of cultural garbage.

I think part of the appeal for me is also the very specific nostalgia of it all. It's a dip back into an era of hairstyles, clothes, and filming techniques that NO ONE is interested in replicating. Plus, the movies serve as an opportunity for me to revisit summer camp from a CAMPER'S perspective. That's something even the Jason movies only barely touch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a good documentary on (I think) slasher movies, or it could have been general horror. But it covered movies like Peeping Tom, My Bloody Valentine and April Fools Day (which I have a soft spot for ;)), so, anyone know anything about it or seen it maybe?

Edit: Nevermind, pretty sure it's "Going to Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie." Gonna rewatch it and then post some thoughts. ;)

Edited by Elias Voorhees
New information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 6:56 PM, Alien_Number_Six said:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a lost classic. Watch it.

You know what's funny, this movie is mentioned in Hatchet II. 

There's a scene where one if the men brings up an urban legend where he grew up, in Glen Echo. It was a nice nod to the film. 

That and then Kane Hodder has his cameo in Behind the Mask. 

TRAILER

As far as best obscure slasher film? Those are hard to come by IMO. Anything I've seen recently that stands out, BLOOD RAGE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head there are at least 2 movies that haven't been mentioned (yet) that I feel are underrated slashers worth checking out at least once. The first is 2000 indie flick Cherry Falls which starred Britney Murphy, Michael Biehn, Candy Clark, & Jay Mohr (who was imo actually pretty decent in this movie) and is about a serial killer who only stalks & kills virgins. The other one is the 1984 low budget slasher The Mutilator (aka Fall Break outside the US ) which is about a guy who along his college buddies head out to his dad's beach house for the weekend to close it up for the season when a mystery killer, who was hiding in the basement/garage of the house, starts stalking & killing them off one by one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tav7623 said:

Off the top of my head there are at least 2 movies that haven't been mentioned (yet) that I feel are underrated slashers worth checking out at least once. The first is 2000 indie flick Cherry Falls which starred Britney Murphy, Michael Biehn, Candy Clark, & Jay Mohr (who was imo actually pretty decent in this movie) and is about a serial killer who only stalks & kills virgins. The other one is the 1984 low budget slasher The Mutilator (aka Fall Break outside the US ) which is about a guy who along his college buddies head out to his dad's beach house for the weekend to close it up for the season when a mystery killer, who was hiding in the basement/garage of the house, starts stalking & killing them off one by one. 

I second Cherry Falls, was a decent throwback to the slashers of old with a decent cast.

I really wanted to like The Mutilator, but I just found it too dour ... just depressing really. I need to have more of a fun element, even if was just a smidge of black humour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×