wes

Paranoia - Current Status and Path Ahead

7 hours ago, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

I honestly think that annoucement of dedicated servers and paranoia were to hype physical release

#ParanoiaWasAnInsideJob

8 hours ago, wes said:

We unanimously agreed, after weeks of playing together, that there’s something there...a glimmer of a very fun game mode. But it needs to stay in the oven longer. 

No problem! I would like to have seen Paranoia sooner than later, but as far as I'm concerned, you got the Bots going pretty well, multiplayer is in a good place and you guys have been sharing a lot of time and info with the community and that's been great.  

• Thanks 1

I'm down with this. Glad to see there's an increased focus on getting dedicated servers going.

Maybe when the time comes you guys can talk to us about what would be cool to see? We're more than willing to help you guys make this game great.

Understandable. The best we can do is wish you and the others the best of luck on the dedicated servers progress.

The same goes with Paranoia. Hypothetically if doesn't make it, I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm hoping it doesn't mean the same for any other potential game modes. An alternative F13 gaming experience seems like it's too good of an opportunity to pass up right now. There have been some neat ideas thrown here about different game modes. Some that you can use to capitalize on Roy's character or even ones that involve Pamela just to name a few examples.

Disappointed, not surprised. I appreciate them letting us in on this though. Maybe next time don't release a trailer for something that isn't even at the half way point. This is hopefully a lesson learned for them.

13 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

....but right now, yea, it should be all about dedicated servers. And, just speaking from a fan perspective, I think it's time we get a solid update on where things stand with that. It's been months since we've heard anything.

They are going to talk about the current status with dedicated servers next week, aiming for Monday.

• Thanks 3

These things happen, if paranoia doesn't pan out 🍳 it's a shame but its seems a good decision to push for dedicated.  Also, I'd only promote once something solid has been tested out properly and not just in theory, could've saved a bit if disappointment. 

I just hope single player challenges still happens, because who's to say those ultimately haven't been fun in testing. 

9 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Probably wasnt a good idea to show that trailer so early.

Sure it was - just like the dedicated servers announcement timing, it helped sell physical copies :chadjunk:

Thanks for the update, I'll be here so take your time. Keep all the good stuff coming, last update has been pretty damn good. We're back in business and things are looking up. Definitely put the lockdown on the bugs and tidy up a few things in the game we all love. Much appreciated @wes  from this happy camper!

• Like 1

Thank you for the update. I was already thinking dedicated servers would never be a thing so I'm glad you finally spoke up about it.

I would be more worried about this news if the game were still in as bad as shape as it was before the most current patch.

I would be clamoring for something that's not 'Troll Jason: The Game'.

But as long as the standard game mode continues to move in the right direction with fixes, content and dedicated servers for consoles. Then I have no issue with a delay for Paranoia.

There are many good ideas on the forums for the mode. A way to introduce Pamela into the game, etc. Or maybe its just one little thing holding up the mode.

The trailer being announced months ago was probably a bad idea. Given the new Retro Jason has been seemingly put on the back burner. My only guess now is the road map is no longer an accurate representation of the upcoming content. Hopefully a new road map will show itself eventually.

@ShiftySamurai

Any word on a new road map?

I expect its something like this.

1. Dedicated servers

2. New counselor (likely the Mean girl or a new hero)

3. Either Grendel/Jason X/Uber Jason

Or New Retro Jason with an NES pix elated new map

Somewhere in there is Paranoia, maybe even after the server update.

I don't like sounding like a Debbie Downer, but this sounds like a soft cushion for Paranoia's cancellation. Not a big deal to me cause I never put much stock in the notion a new macro way to play would show up anyway.  I am a little pissed that dedicated servers do not sound anywhere close to launching though.  Hope they prove me wrong. 

That is indeed quite disappointing. I was hoping for a timeframe or a little more of a concept. The sheer possibility that there might be no paranoia if the team "can't find 'it' [as in whatever is lacking]" took me quite by surprise. Edit: Also I agree with TimmyJarvis that it sounds more like the cancellation is coming, only that I'm a little sadder than him.

I totally understand and -as a PS4 player especially- appreciate the attention shift to dedicated servers for console. But with the focus on it and the original plan being October 2017, I'd be very happy with either a status update, a timeframe or both on dedicated servers. Unless there already was some official statement I just missed.

18 hours ago, scorpio said:

There should never have been a trailer made and released advertising content as 'coming soon' that was obviously so far from complete/still in the design phases! At the end of the day, it's all well and good that they were 'honest' with us about it now, but that won't come as much of a consilation to those who already bought the game on good faith, believing this new mode was 'coming soon' as advertised. It's false advertising plain and simple. 

Why would anyone buy the game for a new mode that they knew absolutely nothing about based off a trailer that showed literally nothing but already available counselors in weird color schemes with some odd music playing? That's their fault, not the devs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

Why would anyone buy the game for a new mode that they knew absolutely nothing about based off a trailer that showed literally nothing but already available counselors in weird color schemes with some odd music playing? That's their fault, not the devs.

I share your opinion that this was not false advertising.  The announcement was way too vague for anyone to seriously claim they had a genuine expectation of something.  Had they cancelled offline mode I would agree that was false advertising, but they made good there.  

• Thanks 1

Makes sense to wait to make it better.  If these upcoming balance patches improve the game, you should still have a player base around when it finally does come out some day.

I'm not disappointed because we don't even know exactly what's its about.

But don't announce stuff in prototype stages. I probably would have felt different if the Part V update wasnt here for me to enjoy in the meantime.

Dedicated servers is a must. I hate losing connections all the time.

I can't wait for dedicated servers cause I'm tired of killing the host while jason then having the lobby close or kill the host while there jason and having the same happen

5 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Any word on a new road map?

Are you asking Shifty or @GhostWolfViking?  :lol:

• Haha 1

I figured the whole Paranoia thing was simply a trailer for Roy, which is what they delivered on. Either way I am happy with this patch. Jason is back to being the nightmare he's supposed to be.

Don´t cancel or I will go into depression:(

Oh Geez, if Paranoia is coming out after dedicated servers than we are gonna be waiting a while. Why would you announce it so far back if it was still in it's we are still generating ideas phase? 

Glad to hear the words "dedicated servers are being worked" on but it also sounds like you announced an idea you came up with five minutes after having it now. You threw a quick video together and months later you are still tossing ideas around for the mode. It's been months and everyone has been anticipating a new game mode too give this game some much needed variety, to find out it's  basically still just a concept with no progress being made. 

Some see this as you being transparent but, I'm sorry for lack of a better word, it's really just incompetence at this point. Dedicated servers for consoles aren't approaching the 1 year late mark and the new game mode everyone has been waiting for announced, what, four months ago is still in its toddler phase. That's not transparency, that's coming clean because you are backed into a corner.  If you were being transparent you would have said all this month's ago and nobody would have taken it as bad news.

I'm not being harsh because I'm a mean person that wants to rub your faces in all your mistakes. I want this game to succeed and I want Gun to stop repeating the same mistakes that have continually hindered it's development. The most important thing you can do other than working on the game is provide good and constant communication. This is something that has been sorely lacking for a while now. Ever since the Dilly Dingus incident communication has been scarce at best. I understand that when things go sideways you are hesitant to stick your nose out because of backlash but the best way to head off a Shit storm is to get out in front of it and handle it before it spirals out of hand.

As a business you need someone with thick skin, not a thick skull, handling communication. Someone to listen to the community and willing to take some harsh criticism and not let it weigh on them. you can't be afraid to interact with the community iqf you want a successful business and game. Shifty has been doing a pretty decent job but as the new guy he can only put out info he's made aware of. He can't do his job of you don't let him or keep info from him. 

Don't take this too harshly it's mostly to help better the the company and community, with a smidge of venting on top. 

TL;DR

Use better communication in the future.

Edit: Wasnt the dedicated server setup outsourced to another company.  I'm almost certain Gun posted about that in the past. Just remembered that. 

• Like 1