wes

Paranoia - Current Status and Path Ahead

dedicated servers are important to the life of this game for ps4 and xbox users so this is a great call . Also we need more bug fixes why add more game modes at this point best to wait until other shit is fixed again great call.

• Like 1

This should have been said ages ago. I'm more disappointed in the lack of communication when they came across these hurdles than I am about the mode being "delayed."

• Like 3

I agree with their decision. No sense in releasing an unfinished game mode and dedicated servers are vital for this game to survive.

1 minute ago, AdrianBlackbear said:

This should have been said ages ago. I'm more disappointed in the lack of communication when they came across these hurdles than I am about the mode being "delayed."

It's what I'm taking from it as well especially since it was teased so early.

I hope you guys don't scrap the mode entirely. It has so much potential to never see the light of day.

Very dissapointed, but i do understand. Thanks for the update :/

I'd say retool Paranoia into a Jason Goes to Hell style mode. Putting it on the backburner in favor of dedicated servers and the Jason X content is fine enough.

I always like hearing from @wes . He's the most transparent guy you'll find on this ship. He speaks what's on his mind and gives us clear reasons why certain decisions were made. Paranoia sounds interesting, and I look forward to learning more about it when the time comes, but right now, yea, it should be all about dedicated servers. And, just speaking from a fan perspective, I think it's time we get a solid update on where things stand with that. It's been months since we've heard anything. There has to at least be a realistic target window for completion at this point. I'd really like to hear what it is, as honestly, I'm seriously contemplating switching over to PC in the meantime (against my will). All my friends play PS4, and we're all in agreement; the game isn't much fun right now. At this point, with absolutely no frustration-exaggeration applied, 7/10 matches end prematurely, with the most common reason being hosts rage-quitting. It's to the point now where when I'm picked to be Jason and I'm not the host, I seriously consider quitting to save myself the time and frustration. I haven't done that yet, but with each butthurt host leaving when killed, it's getting harder to resist.

• Like 1

Fair enough. There's no point in releasing a game mode that just isn't fun to play. They gave us the teaser as we were all clambering for more information. We got that transparency of what they were working on - but as of now, the mode isn't amounting to what they had hoped. Can't argue with that!

Getting dedicated servers is paramount for this game... So I'm happy with the decision. Maybe some of the budget/resources could be used to bring the elusive Jason X model to the game at some point in the future (post dedicated servers). 

It was a bit disappointing to hear the update on Paranoia, but I completely agree that they're making the right decision to focus on the dedicated servers first. And if that means delaying Paranoia a bit longer to make it the best it can be, I'm all for it :)

Personally the more I think about it, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I have questioned their timing on annoucing things before and this one seems really shady. I honestly think that annoucement of dedicated servers and paranoia were to hype physical release since at that time everyone was bitching about servers and lack of content. Now after nothing for months we get that its delayed and may not even happen. 

There should never have been a trailer made and released advertising content as 'coming soon' that was obviously so far from complete/still in the design phases! At the end of the day, it's all well and good that they were 'honest' with us about it now, but that won't come as much of a consilation to those who already bought the game on good faith, believing this new mode was 'coming soon' as advertised. It's false advertising plain and simple. Lessons need to be learnt from this and this needs to not happen again. 

It's not the first time this has happened either. 'Weekly challenges' on the new site (back in August) again stated as 'coming soon' is another example that springs to mind.

It sounds great in theory that they've stopped this mode to focus on dedicated servers but lest we not forget they've been allegedly working on these servers for 5 months now. Surely they were a priority even before this 'news/update'. All I can say is, they'd best actually deliver upon the dedicated servers, especially now they've told people thats the main reason Paranoia Mode has been dropped. If in 3 months time we still don't have dedicated servers for consoles, there's going to be a lot of questions that need answering as to what they've been doing this entire time. It would be nice to hear that they've made some kind of progress with the dedicated servers in these last 5 months at least?! :( 

I just hope other things, especially the Grendel Map which looked so asthetically different to the other maps, don't end up being more cases of over promising and not delivering! :( 

Such a shame too, I was sooo happy with this latest patch, I honestly felt it was such a good step in the right direction, but now I'm once again concerned for the future of this game! :( 

The Grendel map and Paranoia mode were the two things that were going to make this game feel fresh! :( 

• Like 1

Please keep all posts to the main thread for tidiness sake, appreciate it!  Threads merged :). 

9 minutes ago, scorpio said:

There should never have been a trailer made and released advertising content as 'coming soon' that was obviously so far from complete/still in the design phases! At the end of the day, it's all well and good that they were 'honest' with us about it now, but that won't come as much of a consilation to those who already bought the game on good faith, believing this new mode was 'coming soon' as advertised. It's false advertising plain and simple. Lessons need to be learnt from this and this needs to not happen again. 

OfYGY.gif

Probably wasnt a good idea to show that trailer so early.

Either way the decision to focus on dedicated servers over a game mode is a smart one.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed to hear about the Paranoia game mode being put on the back-burner, but dedicated servers should definitely be a top priority.

@wes When you guys get back to working on Paranoia, maybe you could involve the community to help you flesh out your ideas? Like an alpha/beta test or something.

1 hour ago, Redcat345 said:

They should change it to a Pamela Voorhees mode like I have mentioned in my thread : http://forum.f13game.com/topic/13126-game-mode-pamela-voorhees-4-vs-1/

Agreed 100%. Hope they have looked through that topic and agree. Would love to see one of the devs comment on the idea. Definitely interesting ideas there for what would be a fun new game mode.

@wes I'm sure this was a difficult call to make, but it's absolutely the right one. You have my respect for standing up and taking responsibility for this decision, and being transparent about it. That's what good leaders do.

Your team took a large step in the right direction with yesterday's patch. You should be very proud of their effort. There's still a lot of work to be done to get this project to where we all want it to be. As a community, we'll be here to support you guys every step of the way.

Perfectly fine by me.

You have my respect for the way it was explained. Seems priorities may have finally been sorted. Yesterday's update was a good start. Keep refining what we have now, and things will be just fine.

This is GREAT news. 

Any other statement or grunt is mostly understandable but dedicated servers are the single most fundamental and potentially game-breaking/saving problem that needs addressed at this very moment. 

Any other game mode being introduced is better off being delayed, as stated, with further testing by all available resources and team members after other immediate long-term issues, such as dedicated servers, are finalized and functioning as needed. 

This communication pleases me well and it should also be sweet candy for the core player base. 

• Like 1

This is the right call.  Fix what you already have out there first.  Good info, and focus should be on other matters at hand.  Well done.