wes

Paranoia - Current Status and Path Ahead

Hello campers,

As promised, I wanted to give you an update on the current status of Paranoia. Our goal with this game mode has always been to create a different experience compared to the traditional multiplayer F13 mode. We want it to be unique, scary, and offer a new kind of challenge for players. We began working on an internal prototype late last summer (2017), and started playing together (ILL + GUN) weekly. The point of the prototype was to test theories and ideas within the paper design doc for Paranoia. Do these ideas work? Is it unique and challenging? Most importantly - is it fun? To put it bluntly: it isn’t fun enough. 

We unanimously agreed, after weeks of playing together, that there’s something there...a glimmer of a very fun game mode. But it needs to stay in the oven longer. We need to keep throwing around ideas, mechanics and features to find the missing piece. But our teams were faced with hurdles to overcome, some greater than others. 

While we would have liked to go head down and keep pushing Paranoia, this would've required us to set aside the work towards dedicated servers, as Paranoia would've needed the full team. I had to make a decision, and focusing on dedicated servers and new content, feels like the best decision we could make. We have some ideas on what will make Paranoia what we want it to be, but until we launch and perfect dedicated servers, I made the call to hold on all forward movement with Paranoia.

I’m sure that this is not the news that you were wanting to hear, but I think it’s the best call and it was mine to make. I always strive to steer this ship to the best of my ability. What I don’t want to do is launch a game mode that is “just ok”. We don’t get out of bed everyday to produce an average product. Once we are finished with dedicated servers, we will return our focus to Paranoia to continue tinkering to find the fun. If we never find it, then I will make the call to completely cancel it. Again, I don’t want to give you content that doesn’t live up to the standards we have tried to deliver throughout this journey together. You not only deserve better than that, you also deserve this type of transparency, and I intend on delivering both to you. I would also like to thank you all for your patience, and for the overwhelming support and passion you have for this game. We will continue to push to make this the best F13 experience we can, and we look forward to seeing you all at camp.

-W 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

:unsure: Sad to hear this but absolutely understand! I would rather wait if that means getting a better experience!

• Confused 1

Droga...

Ok. Do what you think it's better then.

I'm sure dedicated servers will not disappoint!

• Confused 1

It’s a bummer, but I definitely agree that dedicated servers (and bug fixes) should take top priority over everything else right now. Thanks for the update!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

@wes I can respect that. This is bad news, but it's good to know where your heart is at. I agree, dedicated servers should be #1 on your list right now. We can all wait for the extra mode. I (and I'm sure you as well) wish you hadn't released the teaser so long ago, but it is what it is. You definitely made the right call focusing on the dedicated servers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

First off, thanks for the communication @ShiftySamurai and @wes. Not only have you been delivering some solid info, but you do it with great humor.

Second, I think you guys made the right decision focusing on content and dedicated servers. Though a new mode will give the game more depth, I think content and dedicated servers are what the game needs more. 

What is everyone else's thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's a shame, but if it's not quite working yet and it's down to a choice like that, I really think it sounds like the right call. And hey, you introduced The Goblins to some new people ;)

Appreciate you taking to time to fill us in about this.

• Haha 1

They are doing exactly what a game developer should be doing. Transparency and making tough decisions for the game. Could not be more thrilled. Take your time, we'll be here.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Thank you for the update, it sucks but most of us will understand. Could you maybe just tell us a little more, maybe one of us could make a suggestion that will make it fun. I have been making suggestions and would like to maybe mull this over, so could you tell us if it was a possession mode, or involved a counselor making kills? Thanks again Wes.

12 minutes ago, The Gunslinger said:

Instead of content , bug fixes should be the priority.

Whereas I see your point, I have to say I always enjoy new content.

I can sympathize with frustrations about Day One bugs still being present (dashboards or game crashes, being stuck in an interaction at a location you are no longer near. Etc). I definitely think they need to get cracking on these a bit harder. Push work towards dedicated servers as well. 

However, it is always refreshing to try a new Jason and new map. It's great to see old friends hopping back on and fill up lobbies easy. I think the new content and balance changes are responsible for that. 

Side note, trying to be positive about something I agree with you on. I also feel this game is always going to have bugs, big bugs, in it. I don't ever see them fixing all of them.

Well glad to hear that dedicated severs aren't dead. Now maybe I can play more matches without having the host leave and I loose my XP.

I am fine with this news. It shows focus went into other areas and honestly, i agree with the path you guys chose. What is the word on progress of dedicated servers? Just curious.

I’m happy they addressed Paranoia but what’s the status of dedicated servers?

I believe they're doing the right thing.

Dedicated Servers will calm down lots of players that were complaining since day 1 about the infamous "host leaving mid-kill". And together with the recent changes, it will make experience better for everyone. In this case, permanently. Plus, they're FIXING BUGS!

2 minutes ago, doitagain said:

I’m happy they addressed Paranoia but what’s the status of dedicated servers?

Sooner now that all resources are focusing on them.

Just now, thatdudescott said:

Sooner now that all resources are focusing on Paranoia.

All resources are being focused on dedicated severs for now you mean, they have stopped working on Paranoia for now to work on dedicated servers 

Just now, Ghostboy20 said:

All resources are being focused on dedicated severs for now you mean, they have stopped working on Paranoia for now to work on dedicated servers 

Yeah lol I hoped to had fixed it before someone quoted it,but I was late.

1 minute ago, thatdudescott said:

Yeah lol I hoped to had fixed it before someone quoted it,but I was late.

It's alright just helping