Sign in to follow this  
Rexfellis

My theory on Roy in the game

This has nothing to do with gameplay changes, and I hope it doesn't deteriorate into whining about it like other threads have. It is strictly about Roy, his motivations, and possible reasons that he hears Pamela's voice in his head. This is a theory that I actually came up with during a Ft13th marathon/party I was having for Halloween in the early 2000's:

It seemed to me that Roy knew much more about Jason, his motivations, and his method of killing than the average person that lived around Camp Blood. I was thinking "This guy has been obsessed with Jason for a while." There are plenty of examples of people in real life that study serial killers. Some have even engaged in copy-cat killings to try to emulate their idols. My idea is that Roy was one of these people. He had been preoccupied with the story of Jason for years. I'm thinking that he had probably searched the area and found Jason's shack, which would explain why he spawns there. That fanaticism could also explain why a paramedic was unable to take care of his son.

Now we come to the turning point...When Roy saw that his son had been killed he snapped. I mean, look at his face: latest?cb=20130306012142

At that point, he had become Jason in his mind. That would explain why he hears Pamela's voice in his head. He truly believes that is is Jason reincarnated, and his killing spree is a result of that. A normal reaction from a father that is pissed off about his son's murder would be to go after Vic, the guy that did it. Instead, Roy decides to kill random people to assuage his grief. He was the embodiment of Mr. Voorhees. I mean, hell, look at the kill count in that movie. Roy was a beast. 

Personally, I disregard all ideas that Roy was "possessed" by the spirit of Jason a'la Part 9. Actually, I just disregard Part 9, even though it had one of my favorite characters in Creighton Duke. Roy just lost his mind due to grief and believed he was Jason. I believe that explains him hearing Pamela's voice in his head. Of course, this is only my opinion. It is just something I came up with 15 or so years ago.

TL;DR Roy thinks he is Jason, that is why he hears Pamela's voice, and spawns in the shack.

Not a bad idea.

In fact, Gun Media can do a cool backstory for him. I love listening to Pamela and Tommy tapes. Roy should have something similar that you can find. Maybe a journal of his with pages scatter that you'll have to find.

In Part V, we only know the basics of Roy Burns. We don't know what's going on in his head. That's were Gun Media comes in. They can better explain his relationship with Joey, how he learns to become Jason and where he got his own mask. They could also explain how he was able to do what he did in the film, like if he was high on drugs. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I like this idea however one small thing, how did he find the shack? 

18 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

He had been preoccupied with the story of Jason for years. I'm thinking that he had probably searched the area and found Jason's shack, which would explain why he spawns there.

It's not 100% foolproof, but that was my idea.

Just now, Rexfellis said:

It's not 100% foolproof, but that was my idea.

I like the idea it makes sense, I'm not dissing this as this was well thought out and does help make you feel better when playing as Roy if your a fan of the movies. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I like the idea it makes sense, I'm not dissing this as this was well thought out and does help make you feel better when playing as Roy if your a fan of the movies. 

I knew you weren't dissing it Ghost. I just thought I would start a subject that got away from the salty tears of counselor players who are discovering that Jason is a pretty scary dude. :lol:

Plus, it's an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a while. Well before this game was even conceived.

Just now, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

If Roy "believed he was Jason," then why is he still doing paramedic duties in between killing sprees? "You talking to me chief? Thought you were talking to me." Ring a bell?

You bring up a valid point. Like I said, the theory is not 100% foolproof. But, there are examples of serial killers in real life that have kept up with a facade of a "normal life" while still committing atrocities behind the scenes. Look at John Wayne Gacy's story for an example of this.

48 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I knew you weren't dissing it Ghost. I just thought I would start a subject that got away from the salty tears of counselor players who are discovering that Jason is a pretty scary dude. :lol:

Plus, it's an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a while. Well before this game was even conceived.

I still like this idea.

48 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

If Roy "believed he was Jason," then why is he still doing paramedic duties in between killing sprees? "You talking to me chief? Thought you were talking to me." Ring a bell?

I can think of one thing, it's like a switch, split personality, they could be all normal but then that side kicks in and they are now Jason the killer. Tho it's still not 100% sound 

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Split personality could actually work like that. He could have episodes where he "is Jason" followed by getting back to "being Roy".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loading said:

Roy should have something similar that you can find. Maybe a journal of his with pages scatter that you'll have to find.

I like that idea. Couldn't do tapes since all the events (why he went crazy and started killing people, then his death later on) were in the movie, so a journal would make sense. He's also a fairly underdeveloped character. You get some basic facts about him, but not much else. Why did he keep his son a secret? Why didn't he visit him? I don't think those questions were answered in the movie.

28 minutes ago, Truth said:

I like that idea. Couldn't do tapes since all the events (why he went crazy and started killing people, then his death later on) were in the movie, so a journal would make sense. He's also a fairly underdeveloped character. You get some basic facts about him, but not much else. Why did he keep his son a secret? Why didn't he visit him? I don't think those questions were answered in the movie.

This is kind of why I came up with this idea back in 2003. A paramedic should be able to raise his son, as they make a decent living. (My dad was a paramedic until he retired). With his medical background, one would think he would be more sensitive to certain developmental obstacles, and be able to help his child through that. My thought was that, with his obsession with Jason's story, he was unable to give his kid the emotional support he needed, so he had Joey committed to Pinehurst for his own good. 

When the cover was pulled back and Roy saw that it was Joey that was murdered, he lost it. Roy saw that all of his good intentions were in vain. A split personality disorder could explain why he led a normal life for all outward appearances, but was a homicidal maniac during his manic breaks.

Like I said, it was just something I came up with a long time ago while drinking beer, cooking steaks, and bingeing on Friday the 13th movies. :) 

Roy is a male version of Pamela, he has a split personality disorder after losing his child and can hide his psychotic personality so he can better ambush his victims, just like Pamela did.

• Like 2

If we could get more info about Roy through the game like finding pages of his journal then that would be great, I'd love to learn more about his story and get answers to the questions from the movie that we never got.

Maybe he somehow got a hold of pamela tapes and that's how he knows what Jason's mother sounds like(Talking about the voice in Roy's head)  and he could see how much pamela loved her son.  

38 minutes ago, Grim said:

If we could get more info about Roy through the game like finding pages of his journal then that would be great, I'd love to learn more about his story and get answers to the questions from the movie that we never got.

This.

They have an entire "virtual cabin" playground and something like "Roy's Journal" would fit perfectly.

What I don’t get is why they bothered to give Roy his own outro video, but didn’t bother to edit out Pamela’s voice. It doesn’t bother me, but I just don’t understand why they would cancel out the effort of creating his own video by keeping her voice for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

What I don’t get is why they bothered to give Roy his own outro video, but didn’t bother to edit out Pamela’s voice. It doesn’t bother me, but I just don’t understand why they would cancel out the effort of creating his own video by keeping her voice for no reason. 

I like to think that it falls in line with my theory that Roy believes he is Jason. He still hears Pamela's voice in his head, but some part of him knows that the shack is not his home, so he just heads down the trail, alone.

12 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I like to think that it falls in line with my theory that Roy believes he is Jason. He still hears Pamela's voice in his head, but some part of him knows that the shack is not his home, so he just heads down the trail, alone.

That’s what I was saying before they released the update. Roy is just crazy and believes he’s Jason. But that still doesn’t answer why they created his own outro to obviously make him NOT Jason, but still left her voice in. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

That’s what I was saying before they released the update. Roy is just crazy and believes he’s Jason. But that still doesn’t answer why they created his own outro to obviously make him NOT Jason, but still left her voice in. 

Because of Pamela's warning after counselors enter Jason's Shack.

11 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Because of Pamela's warning after counselors enter Jason's Shack.

Her sweater shouldn’t work on him anyways. But since they kept it, they could have easily used a different audio cue for when someone grabs the sweater. 

5 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

This has nothing to do with gameplay changes, and I hope it doesn't deteriorate into whining about it like other threads have. It is strictly about Roy, his motivations, and possible reasons that he hears Pamela's voice in his head. This is a theory that I actually came up with during a Ft13th marathon/party I was having for Halloween in the early 2000's:

It seemed to me that Roy knew much more about Jason, his motivations, and his method of killing than the average person that lived around Camp Blood. I was thinking "This guy has been obsessed with Jason for a while." There are plenty of examples of people in real life that study serial killers. Some have even engaged in copy-cat killings to try to emulate their idols. My idea is that Roy was one of these people. He had been preoccupied with the story of Jason for years. I'm thinking that he had probably searched the area and found Jason's shack, which would explain why he spawns there. That fanaticism could also explain why a paramedic was unable to take care of his son.

Now we come to the turning point...When Roy saw that his son had been killed he snapped. I mean, look at his face: latest?cb=20130306012142

At that point, he had become Jason in his mind. That would explain why he hears Pamela's voice in his head. He truly believes that is is Jason reincarnated, and his killing spree is a result of that. A normal reaction from a father that is pissed off about his son's murder would be to go after Vic, the guy that did it. Instead, Roy decides to kill random people to assuage his grief. He was the embodiment of Mr. Voorhees. I mean, hell, look at the kill count in that movie. Roy was a beast. 

Personally, I disregard all ideas that Roy was "possessed" by the spirit of Jason a'la Part 9. Actually, I just disregard Part 9, even though it had one of my favorite characters in Creighton Duke. Roy just lost his mind due to grief and believed he was Jason. I believe that explains him hearing Pamela's voice in his head. Of course, this is only my opinion. It is just something I came up with 15 or so years ago.

TL;DR Roy thinks he is Jason, that is why he hears Pamela's voice, and spawns in the shack.

I mean he could of also killed those people for just standing there and doing nothing while vic killed his son..