How To Make Jason Scary In F13 The Game

Friday The 13th The Game is one of the most fun yet least scary "Horror" games I've ever played. The main reason why it isn't scary is the way counselors treat Jason. The most recent update was a very good start to making Jason scary. Taking away a lot of pocket knives and removing a lot of weapons was a very smart choice. And the slight speed increase does make Jason more fearful. But this fear won't last long. Soon I'll start seeing players team up beat the crap out of Jason and tea bag him which really ruins the experience. I'm gonna go over many reason on how to make Jason scary. And I'm gonna go over one major idea that'll really make Jason so much scarier. Note that I'm gonna be giving a lot of buffs to Jason but I will be giving buffs to the counselors at the end to balance it out.

Fixing Tea bagging:

Okay so the first thing that you wanna do is get rid of tea bagging. Every time I see Jason get knocked out I don't wanna see a counselor go over his face and start tea bagging him. It's really not scary anymore after you see that. Grabbing counselors while on the ground would be great but pretty hard to animate IMO. The idea I came up with is make Crouching an ability for counselors. Similar to Jason, in one of the corners in the screen there will be a diamond shaped icon with a crouch logo in it. Every time you get up from a crouch you can't crouch again for 5 to 8 seconds. (I would choose 8 seconds). This will make it so that counselors won't be able to tea bag which will definitely improve the scariness of the game.

Fixing Combat:

To fix groups of people beating Jason's ass, I got you covered. Make it so that once your are in Fear Mode you can't attack anymore. This makes sense and would make counselors much more worried about fear because no one really cares about it. So when counselors are in groups attacking Jason most of the won't be able to because they'll probably be in Fear Mode. It would also make counselors like Jenny more useful since she doesn't get Fear easy.

Buffing Rage:

When Jason is in Rage Mode every counselor should shit their pants... but they don't. I've got a few ideas to make Rage much more fearful. Note that some of this stuff may sound OP but remember, I'm gonna give counselors a few buffs at the end of this.

When Jason is in Rage mode he must feel unstoppable. First, make it so that Jason ignores pocket knives while in Rage Mode. So when Jason grabs counselors while in Rage Mode they wont be able to use their pocket knives.

Second, make it so that Jason is EVEN harder to stun while in Rage Mode. While in Rage Mode he should be 25% harder to knockout.

Third, when the cops arrive make it so that Jason goes into Rage Mode instantly. This would fix the problem where counselors like to mess with Jason at the exit before escaping. If Jason ignores pocket knives and is 40% harder to knockout while in Rage Mode then counselors wont hesitate escaping.

Adding Back Jason's Beta Animations:

One of the MANY things that needs to be added back from the Beta is Jason's animations that were left out of the Final Release. (Counselors Beta animations need to be added back too). Right now in the game Jason looks like a robot. there's no startup animation to anything! You need to bring these back! These animations made Jason look and feel so much more real and menacing. Especially the running Jasons. I have some examples down below.

Dv1WyL8k_lV1emwmycVY-SkDu-vojb9rp2JDXlhRmu737_Wz6OwlozjvjR_LtWT29lNF-U4vDdX-WIojxyj8W1kGOh9U4SnLTNy-KvnExLALvias2OhoM1Zig2qOUnAo1LmjSexf

5keyD9Pbd4JANLJPj1Q6EX09-rS1Yvwhlmfy3OxxbgNWT4DJlGGfcbyCv1K6KljlytTerpFbdzQClMCd_PPC9GC1DETBcBYrywT50VlgPoes1gMuurvMpmUKEF5C2hINTzXUIjpS

IaXSWpzAjXlsLyHVs_wkDc3rZPjoTsIbp2TEJ5CJ0L_m2SozlwLNL8G-hcBLIc2ShZEkz2apxmJa1fYE9V1WFuFBs_6rQ1nPsSSVvJK1T8-IszEvJq5FzhGP6B9Vs8fam1cjqmzv

Music:

In my opinion, this is the biggest reason why people aren't afraid of Jason in your game. (This is the Major idea I was talking about earlier). When your playing as Jason you can't Jump Scare people because counselors constantly know if your around or not because Jason's music will play. The only way to Jump Scare people is to use Stalk... but Stalk straight up lasts 15 seconds m8. So... make it so that counselors CANNOT hear Jason's music even while he's around them unless you or some other counselor nearby sees him. (If you wan't to make it a little more fair, make it so that counselors can also hear Jason's music if he is within 10 feet near them). This is game changing I know but it would make the game SO much scarier. Counselors would constantly be watching their back and Jason could play much stealthier like he is in the movies. You would have to make Jason's footsteps much louder to make it so that counselors could react fast enough. And make it so that Stalk makes Jason music and footsteps not heard at all even when seen or within 10 feet of counselors. This is probably the biggest thing that will make Jason scary in Friday The 13th The Game.

Balancing It All Out:

Alright time to balance every thing out so Jason isn't insanely OP. I'm gonna go over Nerfs for Jason and Buffs for counselors.

Make it so that every Jason has less Traps. With all these things I gave Jason in his favor he shouldn't have to rely on Traps to kill everyone.

Normal Amount of Traps = 3

- Amount of Traps = 2

+ Amount of of Traps = 4

Make it a bit easier for counselors to break out of Jason's grab.

When Jason is stunned make it so that he is stunned for much longer.

Make it so that Jason's Mask gets knocked off much easier so killing Jason becomes more of a Escape Option instead of a Rare Occurrence. (As a matter of fact, you should make Killing Jason show up in the Escape Menu showing you how to do it).

Make Throwing Knives do a bit less damage.

Make going through Broken Windows do a bit less damage.

Make going through Windows a bit faster.

Thanks for reading this. And please, fill free to comment your thoughts and suggestions. I would love to hear your guy's feedback on this.

- Deku Scrub

This large font really strains my eyes for some reason and my browser is already at 90% zoom. Could you fix that so it's at least readable? 

I was going to post these in the suggestion thread, but I'll post my ideas here instead.

For the tea bagging problem: any camp counselor that comes up to a knocked down Jason in a couched position or crouches on him is subject to a throat grab and special kill. 

If a camp counselor tries to run near or over Jason while he's laying down stunned can be subject to leg grab that would function like a bear trap would. It would damage the camp counselor and the counselor would have to tap a button free themselves from Jason's grip.

Allow to be able to close doors, not just open them! Trying to set up a ambush in a house is hard without the ability to close a door.

Maybe let him be able to lock and unlock simple locks.

• Like 1

Here's how to prevent teabagging without making crouching into a terrible charged ability.

Block.

Then grab or slash.

This has been Great Ideas by Maggot Head.

Im A Deku Scrub you are 100% right. Especially the music when Jason comes near. Im my opinion(and many others) it ruins the game. The thing that made the movies so effective was the suspense that Jason could be anywhere; behind any door. But if you have that warning music, you know ahead of time where Jason is. Its equivilant to watching the movie with someone who has already seen it and tells you everything that is going to happen. There is no surprise. 

Take the music out. I know what the die hard supporters are going to say "It will be unbalanced!" The devs can change other stats to make it fair if jason is too tough. But the way it is takes alot of the fun out of the game. I think it is the main reason why the game is doing poorly.

1 hour ago, darincardin said:

Im A Deku Scrub you are 100% right. Especially the music when Jason comes near. Im my opinion(and many others) it ruins the game. The thing that made the movies so effective was the suspense that Jason could be anywhere; behind any door. But if you have that warning music, you know ahead of time where Jason is. Its equivilant to watching the movie with someone who has already seen it and tells you everything that is going to happen. There is no surprise. 

Take the music out. I know what the die hard supporters are going to say "It will be unbalanced!" The devs can change other stats to make it fair if jason is too tough. But the way it is takes alot of the fun out of the game. I think it is the main reason why the game is doing poorly.

The music lets you know he is nearby... not where he is. Think of it this way... if you can hear his music, you are probably within his sense range. The thing that made the movies so effective as far as suspense goes... is the music... Movies are not the same without their music... and music is used to great effect for many things. If you take the music away in game... you might as well get rid of the stalk ability as well. The surprises come from a Jason player that knows how to utilize stalk.
   This would throw current balance to the wind... along with being a colossal waste of time and money to put the music into the game in the first place. 

No one is afraid of the slasher that can be so easily used as a piñata. Solve the piñata Jason problem... reduce the chance for stuns to the point where no one is sure that their hit will stun him... and there is a real chance the hit will not stun him... and get rid of the free demasking hit after EVERY animation Jason has... and fix Jason's block... and meat shielding, need that back too.
   Until these issues are resolved... Jason will never be scary in this game beyond a few jump scares he got when using stalk... or on a player that was not paying attention. He is to easy to demask and kill... he is too easy to stun endlessly... one of these two things makes for a killer who is not scary... both make for a killer who is laughable.

I've never seen a problem with Jason having a music cue for two reasons. 

1) I hear the music so I know he's in the area but not where. This adds the suspense of has he seen me yet and if so where he's coming at me from. To me it just signals it's go time. Whether that means running hiding or fighting. 

2) I always saw the music cue as kind of the in game version of when people have that sixth sense that something is wrong. I can't tell you how many times I dodged a long range shift grab because my "spidy sense" started tingling. To me the music is just the audio version. 

• Like 1

I agree to your suggestions? But additionally just make a psvr mode and it will be the most scariest and best horror game for psvr..... 

It's like a cycle, every month we have a new post where someone wants Jason to be kind of invincible with very funny ideas that would kill the game in a couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I've never seen a problem with Jason having a music cue for two reasons. 

1) I hear the music so I know he's in the area but not where. This adds the suspense of has he seen me yet and if so where he's coming at me from. To me it just signals it's go time. Whether that means running hiding or fighting. 

2) I always saw the music cue as kind of the in game version of when people have that sixth sense that something is wrong. I can't tell you how many times I dodged a long range shift grab because my "spidy sense" started tingling. To me the music is just the audio version. 

There are many times I wished real life had a soundtrack so we all knew when the really important parts are happening.

Jason isn't scary because he can be ganged up on and bullied.  I have a cure for that.... I'm just going to leave it here and see how it goes over.

Stunning Jason instantly destroys the weapon used.

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

There are many times I wished real life had a soundtrack so we all knew when the really important parts are happening.

It'd be nice. I do think the music makes the game more interesting though. Especially when you can set up a nice jump scare with stalk. One of my favorite moments playing was when I nearly made my friend wet himself. I morphed ahead and hid while in stalk in the cabin I thought he'd go to. He entered the window,  opened the door to the next room and nearly had a heart attack when he found me standing there. Made even better because his wife and another friend of ours was watching him play. Nearly killed them too.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BillyBallo said:

It's like a cycle, every month we have a new post where someone wants Jason to be kind of invincible with very funny ideas that would kill the game in a couple of days.

I agree 100%. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

It'd be nice. I do think the music makes the game more interesting though. Especially when you can set up a nice jump scare with stalk. One of my favorite moments playing was when I nearly made my friend wet himself. I morphed ahead and hid while in stalk in the cabin I thought he'd go to. He entered the window,  opened the door to the next room and nearly had a heart attack when he found me standing there. Made even better because his wife and another friend of ours was watching him play. Nearly killed them too.

Music truly makes the experience far more than most people think. I remember an interview with George Lucas in which he told how he showed the investors the movie without any music. They were ready to scrap the entire movie and cut their loses... And the movie was complete, except for the music. Their opinions changed greatly when they saw it with the music.
    Awesome story Thrawn… Thanks... I needed a good laugh.

19 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Music truly makes the experience far more than most people think.

The music is defiantly an important part of giving this game the "Authentic" Friday the 13th experience.

• Like 1

Tea bagging makes me smile whenever I see it, and it makes me be more persistent as Jason when it's done to me. Then when I do catch the teabaggers, I give them the lamest kill in the game, usually a window kill, head punch, or I just slash them down uneventfully. No creative kill for you my friend. Anyway, who cares about tea bagging. Using it with a combination of the "f u" arm gesture emote is kinda funny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ahab said:

I've made a soundtrack for my own life. I suggest others do the same.

5 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

That's right up there with making complete strangers crap themselves in this game. I've caused that once or twice.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, darincardin said:

The music doesn't tell you precisely where Jason is. You just know he's nearby. Taking the music out of the game would ruin the immersion for many players.

1 hour ago, x OLd ScRatCh x said:

Tea bagging makes me smile whenever I see it, and it makes me be more persistent as Jason when it's done to me. Then when I do catch the teabaggers, I give them the lamest kill in the game, usually a window kill, head punch, or I just slash them down uneventfully. No creative kill for you my friend. Anyway, who cares about tea bagging. Using it with a combination of the "f u" arm gesture emote is kinda funny.

LOL.  Especially if that kinda player is the last one, I like to demoralized them as much as possible.  I first make them use up all their strays, leaving them crippled.   Then proceed to disarming them by blocking their desperate swings until it breaks.  Then grab them to get rid of their PKs if they still have them.  Once they used up all their resources I'll ether Flush them if a toilet is close, hold them over a trap until the break out and die if I still have a spare, or practice my quick draw knives till they die.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 3:30 AM, Im A Deku Scrub said:

How To Make Jason Scary In F13 The Game

Friday The 13th The Game is one of the most fun yet least scary "Horror" games I've ever played. The main reason why it isn't scary is the way counselors treat Jason. The most recent update was a very good start to making Jason scary. Taking away a lot of pocket knives and removing a lot of weapons was a very smart choice. And the slight speed increase does make Jason more fearful. But this fear won't last long. Soon I'll start seeing players team up beat the crap out of Jason and tea bag him which really ruins the experience. I'm gonna go over many reason on how to make Jason scary. And I'm gonna go over one major idea that'll really make Jason so much scarier. Note that I'm gonna be giving a lot of buffs to Jason but I will be giving buffs to the counselors at the end to balance it out.

Fixing Tea bagging:

Okay so the first thing that you wanna do is get rid of tea bagging. Every time I see Jason get knocked out I don't wanna see a counselor go over his face and start tea bagging him. It's really not scary anymore after you see that. Grabbing counselors while on the ground would be great but pretty hard to animate IMO. The idea I came up with is make Crouching an ability for counselors. Similar to Jason, in one of the corners in the screen there will be a diamond shaped icon with a crouch logo in it. Every time you get up from a crouch you can't crouch again for 5 to 8 seconds. (I would choose 8 seconds). This will make it so that counselors won't be able to tea bag which will definitely improve the scariness of the game.

Fixing Combat:

To fix groups of people beating Jason's ass, I got you covered. Make it so that once your are in Fear Mode you can't attack anymore. This makes sense and would make counselors much more worried about fear because no one really cares about it. So when counselors are in groups attacking Jason most of the won't be able to because they'll probably be in Fear Mode. It would also make counselors like Jenny more useful since she doesn't get Fear easy.

Buffing Rage:

When Jason is in Rage Mode every counselor should shit their pants... but they don't. I've got a few ideas to make Rage much more fearful. Note that some of this stuff may sound OP but remember, I'm gonna give counselors a few buffs at the end of this.

When Jason is in Rage mode he must feel unstoppable. First, make it so that Jason ignores pocket knives while in Rage Mode. So when Jason grabs counselors while in Rage Mode they wont be able to use their pocket knives.

Second, make it so that Jason is EVEN harder to stun while in Rage Mode. While in Rage Mode he should be 25% harder to knockout.

Third, when the cops arrive make it so that Jason goes into Rage Mode instantly. This would fix the problem where counselors like to mess with Jason at the exit before escaping. If Jason ignores pocket knives and is 40% harder to knockout while in Rage Mode then counselors wont hesitate escaping.

Adding Back Jason's Beta Animations:

One of the MANY things that needs to be added back from the Beta is Jason's animations that were left out of the Final Release. (Counselors Beta animations need to be added back too). Right now in the game Jason looks like a robot. there's no startup animation to anything! You need to bring these back! These animations made Jason look and feel so much more real and menacing. Especially the running Jasons. I have some examples down below.

Dv1WyL8k_lV1emwmycVY-SkDu-vojb9rp2JDXlhRmu737_Wz6OwlozjvjR_LtWT29lNF-U4vDdX-WIojxyj8W1kGOh9U4SnLTNy-KvnExLALvias2OhoM1Zig2qOUnAo1LmjSexf

5keyD9Pbd4JANLJPj1Q6EX09-rS1Yvwhlmfy3OxxbgNWT4DJlGGfcbyCv1K6KljlytTerpFbdzQClMCd_PPC9GC1DETBcBYrywT50VlgPoes1gMuurvMpmUKEF5C2hINTzXUIjpS

IaXSWpzAjXlsLyHVs_wkDc3rZPjoTsIbp2TEJ5CJ0L_m2SozlwLNL8G-hcBLIc2ShZEkz2apxmJa1fYE9V1WFuFBs_6rQ1nPsSSVvJK1T8-IszEvJq5FzhGP6B9Vs8fam1cjqmzv

Music:

In my opinion, this is the biggest reason why people aren't afraid of Jason in your game. (This is the Major idea I was talking about earlier). When your playing as Jason you can't Jump Scare people because counselors constantly know if your around or not because Jason's music will play. The only way to Jump Scare people is to use Stalk... but Stalk straight up lasts 15 seconds m8. So... make it so that counselors CANNOT hear Jason's music even while he's around them unless you or some other counselor nearby sees him. (If you wan't to make it a little more fair, make it so that counselors can also hear Jason's music if he is within 10 feet near them). This is game changing I know but it would make the game SO much scarier. Counselors would constantly be watching their back and Jason could play much stealthier like he is in the movies. You would have to make Jason's footsteps much louder to make it so that counselors could react fast enough. And make it so that Stalk makes Jason music and footsteps not heard at all even when seen or within 10 feet of counselors. This is probably the biggest thing that will make Jason scary in Friday The 13th The Game.

Balancing It All Out:

Alright time to balance every thing out so Jason isn't insanely OP. I'm gonna go over Nerfs for Jason and Buffs for counselors.

Make it so that every Jason has less Traps. With all these things I gave Jason in his favor he shouldn't have to rely on Traps to kill everyone.

Normal Amount of Traps = 3

- Amount of Traps = 2

+ Amount of of Traps = 4

Make it a bit easier for counselors to break out of Jason's grab.

When Jason is stunned make it so that he is stunned for much longer.

Make it so that Jason's Mask gets knocked off much easier so killing Jason becomes more of a Escape Option instead of a Rare Occurrence. (As a matter of fact, you should make Killing Jason show up in the Escape Menu showing you how to do it).

Make Throwing Knives do a bit less damage.

Make going through Broken Windows do a bit less damage.

Make going through Windows a bit faster.

Thanks for reading this. And please, fill free to comment your thoughts and suggestions. I would love to hear your guy's feedback on this.

- Deku Scrub

So... essentially you want to make Jason super op, giving (the majority of the player base) the counselor no chance at all?. It's like you want the player base to leave and the game to die.

25 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

LOL.  Especially if that kinda player is the last one, I like to demoralized them as much as possible.  I first make them use up all their strays, leaving them crippled.   Then proceed to disarming them by blocking their desperate swings until it breaks.  Then grab them to get rid of their PKs if they still have them.  Once they used up all their resources I'll ether Flush them if a toilet is close, hold them over a trap until the break out and die if I still have a spare, or practice my quick draw knives till they die.

I'm all for toying with certain prey. The players spectating seem to enjoy it if you make it memorable.

11 minutes ago, Ms. Tiffany said:

So... essentially you want to make Jason super op, giving (the majority of the player base) the counselor no chance at all?. It's like you want the player base to leave and the game to die.

Jason should be a bit on the stronger side, but not to the magnitude the OP is suggesting.

• Like 1