Kalist

Stop whining about Jason's grab

I see people complaining about the grab (probably because they were used to the pre-nerf grab). Remember how the game was before the grab nerf? Most Jasons were spamming the grab constantly behind you, because they knew sooner or later they would succesfully abuse the grab range and force grab you (at times he would even grab you from a 90 degree angle, because the cone of the grab was unrealistic and comparable to that of an aimbot.). We don't want to return to that state of the game. 

The grab is perfect as it is, and there is no problems with the detection of it.  Only his swings are messed up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Kalist said:

I see people complaining about the grab (probably because they were used to the pre-nerf grab). Remember how the game was before the grab nerf? Most Jasons were spamming the grab constantly behind you, because they knew sooner or later they would succesfully abuse the grab range and force grab you (at times he would even grab you from a 90 degree angle, because the cone of the grab was unrealistic and comparable to that of an aimbot.). We don't want to return to that state of the game. 

The grab is perfect as it is, and there is no problems with the detection of it.  Only his swings are messed up. 

Someone that is realistic about it no he shouldn't be changed he make me laugh players ask for change they change then complain then be nerfed as before he make no sense Jason grab was abused as there were not that pocket knifes.

• Confused 6

Jason's grab needs work too. The hit detection is messed up along the grab edges due the flat-plane design of the counselor hit boxes. You can be stand shoulder to shoulder with Jason facing one direction and be safe. You can pivot a little bit, while staying in the same spot, and be grabbed. The hit detection for melee is not the only problem.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Kalist said:

I see people complaining about the grab (probably because they were used to the pre-nerf grab). Remember how the game was before the grab nerf? Most Jasons were spamming the grab constantly behind you, because they knew sooner or later they would succesfully abuse the grab range and force grab you

Before the grab nerf people where using grabs and pulling off cool kills.  Like it supposed to be.  Spamming?  THATS what Jason is supposed to do.

Abuse grab range..  ?    A 6 foot tall guy grabbing people at a normal range  is not abuse of grab range..  The animations where wrong not the range.  The range was always perfect. (well not anymore)

Now Jason has a grab range of a little girl and you sit their acting like the people complaining about it need to stop complaining?    

Yes i WANT that game to return to that STATE of the game..    I don't see a FORCE grab.. I see a bad choice of animation.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Spamming?  THATS what Jason is supposed to do.

No, it's not. It ruins the immersion. 

6 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

A 6 foot tall guy grabbing people at a normal range  is not abuse of grab range..

Unless he is Darth Vader I'm not buying it. 

I'd like to see how that animation would be implemented and look like lol.

• Thanks 1

Says "grab is perfect!"

Refuses to change counselor preference.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Well the one person who thinks the grab range is perfect has spoken. No more complaining guys, this person is right and everyone else is wrong, including the devs who already said they made his grab range to short. Case closed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, SDA said:

Says "grab is perfect!"

Lol exactly. The only people who think Jason’s grab is fine are the people who never play as him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kalist said:

No, it's not. It ruins the immersion. 

Unless he is Darth Vader I'm not buying it. 

Jason grabbing you to kill you ruins immersion?     (Lol?)

Im not Darth Vader and i can grab people at 5.5 feet away from me.. By simply leaning forward and grabbing.   Again the problem was not the grab range it was the animation.

Only reason you sit there and say "DurtH Vadurh" is because Jasons animation for grabs is not a lunge grab.. Its a 1 foot swipe with no lean.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jason has always been easy to play as, given that his all his arsenal of tools are utilized, correctly. I've never had a problem with Jason's grab, only his swings are wonky to the point where you never hit. The current problem is not his grab, it's the amount of pocket knives in the game that forces Jason to suffer through having to endure too many resources without swinging as a counter to it, because swinging in and of itself is not reliable to say the least. 

You guys act as if grabbing is his only tool... Sure, they can buff it, but I don't want to get phantom/vacuum grabbed through air. Have the animations ready before re-buffing.

Telling anyone with a concern to "stop whining" is a great way to get people to turn away from your viewpoint.  Furthermore, yes, Jason's grab is broken currently.  One of the reasons that people aren't as afraid as they should be is because it's incredibly easy to zig-zag out of a grab.  In real life, such a motion would not prevent getting grabbed.  THAT kind of mechanic abuse is what breaks immersion, not being chased down and grabbed by a living wrecking machine.

Stand up for a second and look around the room you're in.  Without moving, what objects can you grab by just turning at the waist and leaning a little bit.  The distance you can reach will likely surprise you.

That range of arch and reach should be the MINIMUM that Jason is able to function at.  As it stands, you almost have to be his lap telling him what you want for Christmas for him to grab you.  

I say this as a person who LOVES playing as a counselor and as a Jason player who typically clears the board.  That grab needs to be fixed to encourage kills outside of hacking and slashing.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Kalist said:

Jason has always been easy to play as, given that his all his arsenal of tools are utilized, correctly. I've never had a problem with Jason's grab, only his swings are wonky to the point where you never hit. The current problem is not his grab, it's the amount of pocket knives in the game that forces Jason to suffer through having to endure too many resources without swinging as a counter to it, because swinging in and of itself is not reliable to say the least. 

You guys act as if grabbing is his only tool... Sure, they can buff it, but I don't want to get phantom/vacuum grabbed through air. Have the animations ready before re-buffing.

Play on PS4. We'll let you play Jason 10 times in a row. If you kill more than 30 in that time I'd be surprised.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kalist said:

The current problem is not his grab, it's the amount of pocket knives in the game

I disagree..  His grab range is too short.  Grabbing should be easy for Jason.  His range should be extended to match the height and arm length.

As it stand his shitty grab range means jason spends a ton of time missing grabs.. only to finally get a grab and get a pocket knife.    So people know start to just slash people to death instead.

Sorry but i prefer pre grab nerf Jason.. 

• Like 1

I agree the grab isn't that big of a deal,  and players have way overblown this issue.  I've actually gotten better with shift grab since the update.  (Yes my preference is still as jason,  and I've been playing since day one). Dedicated servers > grab range. 

Come on guys I mean seriously Jason has almost no problems with grabbing the throwing knives that are a few feet above everyone in the game so clearly there is no need to adjust his grab any further. In the past it was more acceptable for the big men in Hollywood to go around grabbing everything they wanted and not face any consequences but in today’s day and age it’s just not acceptable. The only two things that are acceptable for Jason to grab now is himself, when he is alone and not talking to anyone on the phone; that’s why he removed the fuse for nobody would be able to call him when he was punishing his smaller self, and knives, other than that nothing should be grabbed. 

1 hour ago, Manny1985 said:

I agree the grab isn't that big of a deal,  and players have way overblown this issue.  I've actually gotten better with shift grab since the update.  (Yes my preference is still as jason,  and I've been playing since day one). Dedicated servers > grab range. 

Ditto! Same thing as the so called vader-grab. That issue had also been way overblown.

Most people who say Jason is fine or his grab is fine are preferenced counselors who are a bit scared that soon they might not get off so easily...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lasse_hei said:

Ditto! Same thing as the so called vader-grab. That issue had also been way overblown.

Most people who say Jason is fine or his grab is fine are preferenced counselors who are a bit scared that soon they might not get off so easily...

I agree neither grabs were not a big issue. I disagree about people fine with the grab prefer counselor.  I think that's just a defense people use because many people have no problem with current mechanics.  Most people I've played with in private and qp prefer jason.  If they didn't,  I'd be jason every match. 

6 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Grab range WIDTH increase? Sure. Earlier "grab zone activation"? Extra LENGTH? Hell no.

I advise you all to click this link and read the thread detailing what FORCED PERSPECTIVE is.

Yeah I read your post and it had some good points and a nice presentation. But.. There are issues in the game and the previous grab lenght was one of them. But it wasnt consistant. Yes, there were funny grabs, but on the otherhand there were also grabs at close range that didnt connect. Your example is the same one that everyone had based their evidence on. Its basicly same as I would say that you cant escape with the car because it flips everytime. I can present evidence on that too. If you understand my point? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SDA said:

Says "grab is perfect!"

it's not necessary the grab the problem shotgun , medspray will be more of a cause is Jason feel underpowered Jason may be tall it's unrealistic the old grab range is stupid.

2 minutes ago, lasse_hei said:

Yeah I read your post and it had some good points and a nice presentation. But.. There are issues in the game and the previous grab lenght was one of them. But it wasnt consistant. Yes, there were funny grabs, but on the otherhand there were also grabs at close range that didnt connect. Your example is the same one that everyone had based their evidence on. Its basicly same as I would say that you cant escape with the car because it flips everytime. I can present evidence on that too. If you understand my point? 

Previously at launch the grab was a cone, so you could avoid a grab when close to Jason. Now it's a rectangle reaching in front of him. I think 90% of currently whiffed grabs is just players being salty because the "grab zone" does not actually become active the instant you press the button, it's active about 1/2 to 1 second after you press the grab button because Jason has to thrust his hand forward first. People are pressing the grab button when people are right up in their face and by the time the grab zone is active, the counselor has already run out of the zone.

4 hours ago, Kalist said:

The grab is perfect as it is,

Are you doing this on purpose, knowing the reaction you're gonna get?

The grab is good, but it's not perfect. And are people still whining about that much that you needed to start your own thread?

13 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

it's active about 1/2 to 1 second after you press the grab button because Jason has to thrust his hand forward first

As a side note, I hope everybody has gone through their TVs and monitors and disabled anything that causes input lag. I've seen claims of delays in actions that I'm not really seeing on my end. I can still easily grab straight from shifting with a quick double tap. I have a 10ms monitor and a 13ms TV.  

1 minute ago, WashingtonJones said:

Are you doing this on purpose, knowing the reaction you're gonna get?

The grab is good, but it's not perfect. And are people still whining about that much that you needed to start your own thread?

As a side note, I hope everybody has gone through their TVs and monitors and disabled anything that causes input lag. I've seen claims of delays in actions that I'm not really seeing on my end. I can still easily grab straight from shifting with a quick double tap. I have a 10ms monitor and a 13ms TV.  

My monitor is 2ms so any time I miss a grab it's my own fault or internet lag.

2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

My monitor is 2ms so any time I miss a grab it's my own fault or internet lag.

2ms GTG?