final_gal

Most noticeable changes in counselor choice and behaviour/playstyle?

How has the players' choice of counselor and their behaviour/playstyle changed, starting from the release until now? 

For example, back in summer, lobbies were full of A.J.s, she was considered the BEST counselor. Nowadays, I almost never see any A.J., and rarely play as her myself. 

Most people have moved from a stealth-oriented towards a combat-focused playstyle after realising stealth and composure weren't that great as they were thought to be.

However, many counselors today only seem to fool around, throw dance parties in the main cabins, gang up on Jason during the whole match and do not give a shit about objectives - even the Deborahs and LaChappas.

I am also guilty of playing almost exclusively as A.J. back in the summer, but have recently switched to Adam/Fox because I've given up on stealth and like to have some combat potential while still being able to repair things, though I often choose Random. 

Has your counselor "main" and strategy changed during all those months? 

Started off as AJ like most people, moved to Chad, then moved to Adam/Fox because I don't like feeling overpowered when I'm a counselor, I like being able to repair decently fast and I like leaving open the "kill Jason" door. If I don't get that mask off, no one will.

Personally I find myself not sticking to one gamestyle all the time, it really depends on the other players in the match.  Since I am a Tiffany main, I learned to utilize her stealth in the first half of the game to help ferry parts and push for objectives and then late game I rely on my stamina and spees to help kite Jason. 

The current 'meta' is indeed beating up Jason and trolling. This is why you see do many Bugzys,  Vanessas,  Chads etc. 

However I feel like this is going to change depending on what happens in the next patch,  if they buff jason and take away all the extra pocket knives,  health sprays and etc,  I predict that the meta is going to switch to part runners and just runners in general. There might be a large increase in repairers,  nevermind scratch that,  if the balance patch succeeds and meets our expectations,  there will definitely be a larger increase in repairers. 

I also feel like stealth might,  keyword,  might have a little bit more of importance as opposed to the past and now. 

I started off with Vanessa actually. I figured the game would be a lot like the beta where speed and stamina were the only things that mattered. However I play Deborah a lot now and I favor fixing things cause people in my lobbies never know how to get anything done. 

6 minutes ago, Gummybish said:

I see no reason to believe they'll roll back any of the changes. They nerfed Jason into the ground back in October, heard two months of complaints, and responded by giving counselors their biggest buff ever while not addressing any of the nerfs.

Just now, MichaelMemers said:

I see no reason to believe they'll roll back any of the changes. They nerfed Jason into the ground back in October, heard two months of complaints, and responded by giving counselors their biggest buff ever while not addressing any of the nerfs.

There was a tweet from one of their reps saying that they are discussing balancing and are gonna share the details any day now from tomorrow to next week. 

I went from:

AJ --> Chad --> Adam --> Kenny

I like being able to be pretty decent at just about everything and can adapt to what others are doing (usually nothing in QuickPlay)

Chad from start to now. 5 prompt on repairs + Epic Swift Attacker/Sucker Punch/Medic which I was lucky enough to get early on let me do everything. I practiced QTEs in private matches enough to where I wouldn't screw up in quick match, so for me Chad is like Kenny on steroids, being able to do a bit of everything with better luck and speed. Medic to tank traps and the other two perks to fight Jason reliably.

I went from mostly LaChappa (because he was always looked at as being inferior) to playing as Vanessa.  I can distract Jason for a bit or run parts or fix if I need to.  

Basically what you said in your OP...People used to play high repair characters more. Now the meta has shifted to "battle" loadouts.

It's a shame. Hoping the next couple of patches makes people shift back to an objective-minded loadout by giving Jason the necessary buffs.

• Like 2

Same here.. After launch A.J. was my go-to-girl. Tried others out on the way, but went mostly with Tiffanny. Then I figured her stealth mean't nothing (didn't have the right perks) so I switched to Vanessa. She is great ( 2 repair is really easy after months of 1 repair with Tiff)! As Vanessa I survive about 9/10 times, last time juking Jason for about 15 minutes till time ran out (full 4 seater escaped while one player sacrificed himself in the first 5 minutes). Now I play mostly "hard mode", with the "not best counselors" to get a bit of a challenge, especially on quickplay. With seasoned friends though, a different story alltogether :)

Vanessa has always been my bae. She fixes well enough and can fight well. With how Jason's sense and pings work, stealth and composure don't really mean much. Better to rush multiple objectives a.s.a.p. than to try to sneak around.

I play all-out-Roulette. Random counselor, random Jason. I enjoyed the game when I switched between AJ and Adam, being able to repair objectives while being hard to find early game (AJ) or being decent at fighting Jason & taking the mask off while still being capable of fixing. However, since I've gone random, I'm having incredible fun. Every round is different, sometimes I fail, sometimes I'll do well. I never have a set strategy, I prefer to go with the flow. I have learnt to do a little less abysmal with low repair chars, so if there's no better repairer around, I will fix the boat with Chad or Tiffany even.

I'm definetly under the impression objectives aren't the main focus in QP, but I'm not even sure they have ever been. I had so many lobbies where people just couldn't be arsed, a lot of them before the item spawn increase. My subjective feeling is that QP with low level counselors is often better right now. People just seem more eager to do objectives when they are low-bobs sometimes.

When I first began playing I tried almost every counselor and decided to main Vanessa. Even way on I knew stamina was a huge deal. She was the only character I played for the longest time until I rolled an Epic Sucker Punch recently and decided to try that on Chad. I was hooked. Then I got max swift attacker and decided Chad was godly with a wrench. I can easily give these perks to Vanessa and be Chad with a lot more stamina, but I want to get the most hits out of my wrench before it breaks so I mostly stick with Chad. I put an epic marathon on him to give him a pretty big stamina boost.

Started Jenny and will stay Jenny. The only thing that *may* break us up is MELISSA.

I still play everyone. I'm banking Shelly games at the moment, to get him up to similar experience with the others, but after that I'll probably go back to random counselor choice again.

In terms of others, yeah, the Beta was Vanessa Mania. Then people, like Charmin, started showing how good a quiet AJ could be.

I'm pretty meat and potatoes in my play style. If I can fix stuff well, I'll fix it. If not, I'll ferry the parts over to the vehicles. If I can run distraction, I'll do it. Horses for courses.

I play Vanessa, she really is "Wonder Woman" as her Halloween suggests.  After so many J-kills that got a bit boring, I've been fancying Jenny these day.  It's fun being a mere mortal.

Stealth is still a good asset to have... I guess you just don't know how to utilize it effectively. 

I stick to my 2 mains: AJ and Tiffany.

I occasionally play Fox to strut her sexy banana suit. 

^ I'm not saying Stealth isn't useful at all. It just seems pointless on high repair characters because Jason will patrol objectives anyways.

However, it can indeed be useful on Tiffany because she mostly stays away from objevtives, can sneak into Jason's cabin and run away fast and for a long time. Stealth+Stamina is a good combo imo. 

For me the most notable change is quick play players try to kill Jason more. In more then half the lobbies I play in as Jason the counselors ignore the objectives. It seems like they just want to beat on you and get killed. 

I started on being all about Jenny and switched to not really having a main. I try to balance out the lobby with either Deborah or Tiffany depending on how many repair vs runners are playing. I'm not allowed to play Chad ? @woundcowboy

I desperately want the fuse and the sweater now. I used to be more laid back and would work on whatever objective people were into and try to buddy up with another counselor to wander around searching for parts together.

I don't like guns but I used to hate dropping them for a part. Now I'd much rather have more hits with a stick than only one guaranteed stun. I don't mind being alone or repairing with peabrains when I used to avoid those things happening to the point of nothing getting done. 

Overall counselors have gotten more aggressive and efficient, or maybe Jason nerfs just make it feel that way. I expect the majority of quick play lobbies to be competent over bumblefucking around when it used to be the opposite. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lady_goldfish said:

@woundcowboy

I

Overall counselors have gotten more aggressive and efficient, or maybe Jason nerfs just make it feel that way. I expect the majority of quick play lobbies to be competent over bumblefucking around when it used to be the opposite. 

I wouldnt say efficient lol, almost everyone wants to kill jason and forgets about the objectives these days. 

53 minutes ago, Gummybish said:

I wouldnt say efficient lol, almost everyone wants to kill jason and forgets about the objectives these days. 

True. It used to be more of a risk to spend time finding the sweater and praying your Tommy cooperated. In November all the Tommys I got would hide, leave or refuse to put down the shot gun ... I spent every night for like 2 weeks chasing them in the sweater begging them to help me get my first Jason kill. They either didn't hear me, understand what I wanted or my mom voice wasn't on Pamela's level. 

I see way more Tommys and counselors in general now that want to kill Jason or just survive the night running him around. 

12 minutes ago, Lady_goldfish said:

True. It used to be more of a risk to spend time finding the sweater and praying your Tommy cooperated. In November all the Tommys I got would hide, leave or refuse to put down the shot gun ... I spent every night for like 2 weeks chasing them in the sweater begging them to help me get my first Jason kill. They either didn't hear me, understand what I wanted or my mom voice wasn't on Pamela's level. 

I see way more Tommys and counselors in general now that want to kill Jason or just survive the night running him around. 

This is why I am  hoping that the rebalancing patch that is coming up will encourage players to start working together and  focus on getting objectives done and escaping instead of trying to beat jason to death. 

As a Tiffany main I am tired of bringing parts to objectives and taking out all the traps only to find out that Deborah got killed trying to get the sweater and see A.J walking out with a bat on her way to knock Jason on his ass.