Sign in to follow this  
TheToddRod

Legal dispute

This is specific to the filming rights. It should have no bearing on production of the game. Also the plaintiff has no case anyways. The writer was employed by Sean Cunningham and when you are hired you do not own the rights to the work you produce while working for a company.

To put it in terms that relate to gaming hideo kojima created MGS but he created it while employed with Konami. He does not own the rights as he was an employee of Konami so Konami owns the rights to the franchise.

This is nothing more than a writer who is upset and is suing for rights but since he can sue does not mean he has a case and this will be the scenario here I believe.

• Like 2

This is specific to the filming rights. It should have no bearing on production of the game. Also the plaintiff has no case anyways. The writer was employed by Sean Cunningham and when you are hired you do not own the rights to the work you produce while working for a company.

To put it in terms that relate to gaming hideo kojima created MGS but he created it while employed with Konami. He does not own the rights as he was an employee of Konami so Konami owns the rights to the franchise.

This is nothing more than a writer who is upset and is suing for rights but since he can sue does not mean he has a case and this will be the scenario here I believe.

Exactly.  Which is why you should be careful for who you write for, if anyone.  Sometimes you write for a publisher and they could change up your story in a way that you find undesirable.  Always be careful and cautious on who you share your writings to.

I believe the writer is saying he wrote the screenplay so it's his. I think the new movie production is on hold. I'm wondering if the court can order all Friday the 13th work to pause until the dispute is settled. Or even not release until it's over. Kojima can try to get the metal gear franchise 35 years from the date of the original metal gear was published, Unless the 35 year rule only applies to movies. Idk.

I'm not a lawyer but knowing what I do about law, creation of something within the scope of your job is not yours. Technically should it be? Sure, but it is an uphill battle that will most likely be a crushing defeat. I would be seriously shocked if they ruled in favor of the writer. I think worrying about the impacts are irrelevant based upon this.

I believe the writer is saying he wrote the screenplay so it's his. I think the new movie production is on hold. I'm wondering if the court can order all Friday the 13th work to pause until the dispute is settled. Or even not release until it's over. Kojima can try to get the metal gear franchise 35 years from the date of the original metal gear was published, Unless the 35 year rule only applies to movies. Idk.

Writers don't own the rights if they are hired by a publisher or other medium.

There was a similar case in the 90's pertaining to "Battletech" [Gamers may be aware of "Mechwarrior" which is the video game simulator version] There was a writer that worked on a source book for Battletech, who sued over "lost wages" during his time with FASA at the time. In the suit, he was asking for essentially, rights to all of battletech.

Needless to say, the judge basically laughed him out of court, same thing's going to happen here.