Bangel144

Biggest difference between game launch and how it is now

So, I'm a relative *noob*

[or super noob if you're pissed off that sometime as Jason i'll hack away at you til you're dead rather than take the risk you have a pocketknife] 

and I was just curious what the biggest differences are between then and now. I didn't start playing until the physical release came out. 

I've heard things like there were fewer pocketknives, it was harder to kill or stun Jason, and the game basically just refused to work on launch day. Also, Jarvis Map wasn't available initially? Seems to be an unpopular addition, but I like it. 

So, people who were there in those first weeks... how did the game differ? Thanks for any input guys. 

Other than the glitches and feeling like Jason grabbed you from 10 ft away it was genuine f13 gameplay like the movies. That's if you could play. Took upwards of 30 minutes to find a lobby. 

And team killing was bad. They would shoot you for no reason but it was all acceptable to me since "in real life" they could shoot you. The only bad thing about team killing is you could end up killing the person you were trying to save from Jasons grasp.

• Like 1

It had it's problems at launch with server issues - but it was more of a serious survival horror game in those days with the emphasis on Jason being the face of death if you took liberties with the Jason player. You had to play intelligently to escape and survive. That factor has been diluted since October - counselors have been buffed and Jason nerfed in some terrible misguided conception of "balancing" things. The whole point of a survival horror game is that the threat has to be real - they seem to have lost their way since October, and the December patch furthered "watered down" the Jason character.

Gun's Ben has inferred they are taking steps to rectify this, and that the new patch is in testing phase. I truly hope they can deliver - but be aware the patch effect on gameplay has been a downwards trajectory since release...so we all need to hope they can pull something out of the bag, and stop the stall nosedive. 

Will add that I believe the grab range etc was changed as the small corridors of the Grendel on the upcoming Jason X map would make it stupidly easy for Jason players. I have no facts...I can only speculate about my thoughts on the reasoning behind such drastic nerfs. Trouble is, they don't confirm this with "transparency" so the playerbase becomes a detached, hot cauldron of ambiguous confusion. :( Then people start getting banned when their patience starts to boil over.

• Like 3

Connection problems have always plagued this game and always will.

There were a ton of glitches and ram killers. Even with all that, the game was playable and a blast when you were able to keep connected. Not at all like it is now.

• Like 1

1. Jason had a very large grab range.

2. Counselors were more afraid of Jason because there wasn't much in the way of pocket knives for all. You were lucky if you found one. Med-sprays and shotguns were more scarce too.

3. Some perks like Thick Skinned were more effective to the point of being OP; hence they got nerfed.

4. There were tons of server related problems.

5. Xbox had a memory leak from hell making the game crash constantly.

6. Team killing was possible in public matches.

7. Traps didn't auto-limp a counselor not running a perk to protect them. They avoided some damage based on Luck (like windows still are).

8. Many bugs/glitches from back then still exist. There was one called the "home run" glitch which would literally knock Jason right out of the map; ending the match.

Really there are too many things to list.

Back then, Jason was a threat and counselors didn't take him lightly. It took real skill to be a successful counselor and the wins were very gratifying. Killing Jason was harder because he was a bigger threat. The game was generally scarier because you knew as a counselor you were the underdog. Playing Jason was a bit more intuitive.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

1. Jason had a very large grab range.

2. Counselors were more afraid of Jason because there wasn't much in the way of pocket knives for all. You were lucky if you found one. Med-sprays and shotguns were more scarce too.

3. Some perks like Thick Skinned were more effective to the point of being OP; hence they got nerfed.

4. There were tons of server related problems.

5. Xbox had a memory leak from hell making the game crash constantly.

6. Team killing was possible in public matches.

7. Traps didn't auto-limp a counselor not running a perk to protect them. They avoided some damage based on Luck (like windows still are).

8. Many bugs/glitches from back then still exist. There was one called the "home run" glitch which would literally knock Jason right out of the map; ending the match.

Really there are too many things to list.

Back then, Jason was a threat and counselors didn't take him lightly. It took real skill to be a successful counselor and the wins were very gratifying. Killing Jason was harder because he was a bigger threat. The game was generally scarier because you knew as a counselor you were the underdog. Playing Jason was a bit more intuitive.

Well articulated bro. Agree with all your points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mehtevas69 said:

The only bad thing about team killing is you could end up killing the person you were trying to save from Jasons grasp.

That was the great thing about friendly fire. There was some risk involved in trying to save your fellow counselors. You had to have some *gasp* skill to try to stun Jason after he had grabbed someone. The bad part of it was people that would just hunt down other players to be dicks. Which is why we lost it in public lobbies.

• Like 1

I agree. That's what I was trying to convey myself. But I wish it was back to normal for public lobbies since that's all I play in. 

So I just had my first game back since the devs gave everyone the 13k CP for server issues and wow. What happened to this game? Jason used to be so powerful, OP as some would say (as he should be). First game back rundown (Packanack Lodge small): cops called within a few mins and a couple people escape by cop. I manage to get a couple parts needed for the 2 seater, had someone nearby that didn't want to escape so I left and escaped myself. With 10 mins left 3 counselors remain with the sole purpose of toying with Jason (part 7). I didn't keep count but they must have stunned Jason at least 20 times with various weapons along with several pocket knives to escape his grab. I occasionally come to the forums to see if any improvements have been made and over the months I read about how weak Jason had become. I couldn't believe how much of a joke Jason was, at least in my first game back. Have the devs said anything about possibly getting Jason back to "OP" or are they content where he is at? I'm sure they will continue to balance both Jason and counselors but I sure do miss playing as a counselor knowing my chance of survival is small.

Then: great game, when it works right (rarely).

Now: shitty game, when it works right (mostly, except for Jason kills and windows).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mossy said:

I couldn't believe how much of a joke Jason was, at least in my first game back. Have the devs said anything about possibly getting Jason back to "OP" or are they content where he is at? I'm sure they will continue to balance both Jason and counselors but I sure do miss playing as a counselor knowing my chance of survival is small.

As far as we've been informed, the next patch is "balance" related; probably with a ton of bug fixes. What "balancing" they will do is unknown. The Devs have acknowledged Jason needs work. So we wait and see. Sorry your first experience back after that long is what it has become. The pitchforks and torches have been in full swing for quite awhile now in regards to Jason being neutered and counselors trolling him.

The game at launch felt like an authentic Friday the 13th experience.

No stupid emotes. No stupid costumes. No weak Jason getting trolled. He was terrifying to face, and a joy to play as. Matches almost never went to time, and usually ended with between 0-2 survivors, unless the 4-seater managed an escape. People loved Jason so much that almost every match had someone quit at the start because they weren't Jason. Now it's common for people to quit because they are Jason.

His grab had a longer range, he was harder to stun (though was stunned for longer), there were waaaay less weapons and items (1 shotgun versus 4), and Tommy had no items either. Parts weren't marked, so players had to actively communicate and work together and search to survive instead of just having everything handed to them. If a player died ferrying a part in the woods, then it was often lost for the rest of the map, meaning escape options were lost, and the fight for the remaining ones more desperate.

We had team killing. This meant rescuing people from Jason's grasp could come at a cost, as it would often cripple your fellow counselors with accidental hits. The shotgun would kill friendlies often as much as it'd stun Jason.

There was more gore. Blood would splatter on the ground when attacking counselors, but the developers took it out for unexplained performance reasons that nobody noticed, and introduced rain that ironically killed everyone's frame rate in half their matches. Occasionally even ones where it wasn't raining.

The engine in general felt more solid. There were no invisible barriers around windows, meaning Jason could hit or grab players climbing through, and stopping them looping. You had to dive if he was on your tail. Connection stability was better. No getting randomly dropped out of every 4-5 matches.

There were no small maps or Jarvis map, so matches felt a lot more balanced, instead of the absurd objective completion speed of the small maps, or the spread out parts and cabins on the Jarvis map.

The bad:

Matchmaking was fucked. You could wait up to 20 minutes to even be put in a match. The game had tons of out-of-map glitches, and players would get on rooftops, out of bounds, in locked rooms, etc, and force everyone to wait the 20 minutes out.  Jason helpers would grab the shotgun, kill a counselor, come back as Tommy, then kill another. This happened often. Gun claim they also used to hide parts before marking, but nobody I know experienced that more than a handful of times. It simply wasn't popular as trolls like people to know they're being trolled.

There were also a number of gameplay glitches. Jason could combat-stance his way through beartraps and block flares. Items (including keys and the fuse) would often sink into the floor when a player died, rendering them unrecoverable.

Some perks and Jason bonuses simply didn't work at all.

Less maps and characters, as DLC hadn't dropped yet.

Neutral:

Jason could stack traps, making some objectives totally locked down, but traps and falls were not auto-limps for some characters, especially those that used the overpowered Thick Skin perk. However, traps have now been forced to be spaced out, and everyone uses Medic, so it's virtually balanced out.

The players were less experienced (on both sides) that led to more organic gameplay and less powergaming/metagaming. This also led to some poor decision making that could cost you the game, but it also felt realer than everyone making optimal decision as they do now, with marking just making that worse.

Conclusion:

The main difference that the launch version was amazing from a gameplay and atmosphere perspective, really poor from a trolling perspective, had lots of gameplay glitches, and matchmaking was unforgivably slow. The game was great, the community often shitty, and the game technically unpolished. We had hope for improvement.

Now it's abysmal from a gameplay and atmosphere perspective, the trolls are still here but have simply been legitimised, and the engine performance and matchmaking stability has dropped a lot. The game is now shitty, the community still shitty (but now accomodated), and the game has amazingly gone downhill in 7 months from a technical perspective, but creating more bugs and performance issues than they've solved. We have lost all hope for improvement.

I've never seen a game do this before. A game that over a period of 7 months got worse from both a gameplay and a technical perspective with almost every month that went by, and did so with tone-deaf and arrogant developers acting like their customers were the ones in the wrong for not enjoying it.

My theory is they simply only care about money. They figured the backer, fan, and mature audience markets had all capped out after a few months, so pivoted the game towards kids and trolls to wring out a few more sales.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The main difference that sticks out to me is the change in tone.  When it first came out, it felt like a Friday the 13th game.  Jason was OP, counselors ran in fear from him, and rarely did you have more than a handful of counselors surviving a match.  When the Jason music would kick in, you'd feel dread because it meant that you were likely about to die.  Which is how it should be because very few people in the movies survived an encounter with Jason. 

Then they started catering to casual fans.  They added in stupid costumes and emotes.  They nerfed Jason to the point of breaking the game.  They added in so many knives, firecrackers, and guns that counselors get 3-4 free passes running into Jason before they are even remotely in danger of getting killed.

The tone when the game started was one in which counselors were running scared and desperate to survive.  The tone now is one in which counselors are running towards Jason to dance around in sexy devil outfits and spam stuns and teabags.

• Like 6

Oh lord here we go again blaming the costumes and emotes.

Blame the people not the objects. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks for all your answers! This all was quite illuminating to read. I wish I had been playing then. The emotes are incredibly tacky, and few things annoy me more than passing through a house and seeing someone in a stupid outfit just dancing by the fireplace instead of being useful and actually trying to accomplish anything. Or the cocky players with 2-3 pocketknives who dance literally 1 inch away from the exit when the cops are there just to taunt Jason. Needless to say, I hate the emotes. 

I don't mind the assorted clothing. No big deal for me. but it really is quite unforgivable how easy it is to fend off Jason now. A real shame. 

• Like 2

Best change since launch: phone fuse doesn't glitch into the ground.

Worst change: grab nerf

Honorable mention for bad changes: item spawning on map, increase of pocket knives, and car rubberbanding after crashes.

Literally the only reason why people hate the emotes is because people like to troll with them, in that case blame the person abusing it not the actual animation, the emotes don't force you to use them, they don't have free will. Us humans do, call out the abusers.

As for the costumes, the only excuse people seem to have for hating them is the fact that it ruins their immersion. Even then everyone has a different perception on what helps contribute to the immersion and then takes it away. 

Let's talk about the real issues that this game has, not ones that ruin your mood just because it affects you mentally. 

Let's discuss about how nerfed Jason is at the very moment. Way too many pocket knives, if they removed some of them and reduced it to a count of 4 including Tommy's, I HIGHLY doubt you will be seeing people try and kill Jason, reduce the amount of health sprays to 4 as well.

The hit detection on almost all of the Jasons is wack. It needs a major upgrade. The amount of shotguns that are found in this game makes me wonder if I'm playing Friday the 13th or Call of duty.

Those are the real issues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, malloymk said:

Best change since launch: phone fuse doesn't glitch into the ground.

Worst change: grab nerf

Honorable mention for bad changes: item spawning on map, increase of pocket knives, and car rubberbanding after crashes.

Also forgot window breaking/invincibility and the counselor scream that ruins hiding spots.

• Like 1

Biggest difference between now and launch is that it is now one of the worst fucking online games I’ve ever played. At launch, I’d felt like a Friday the 13th film. Now, it’s complete fucking shit. Offline bots is all I play at this point. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Biggest difference between now and launch is that it is now one of the worst fucking online games I’ve ever played. At launch, I’d felt like a Friday the 13th film. Now, it’s complete fucking shit. Offline bots is all I play at this point. 

Totally agree, other than offline bots. Like everything else in the game, they're half-assed and feel unfinished.

But the former is why everyone is so angry. It went from a possible game of the year contender to a disgrace to the franchise, with a bunch of clueless and arrogant indie hacks lecturing a fanbase who evidently cares far more about the franchise than they do, why such changes were great.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ahh yes the golden days back at launch. That's when it took 30 minutes to find a game so nobody was leaving lobbies on purpose. You appreciated and cherished your spot in a lobby. It was awesome, my heart rate was jacked every game and everyone wanted to be Jason back then. It was addicting, you just wanted to play more! I still get that game launch feeling every once in while during a match but not like the Golden days. 

I appreciate the golden days too.  But I do want to also keep perspective and remember the frustrations at that time too.  On Xbox, the game crashed about 60-70% of the time.  I couldn't play the game at all for the first week or so because of a corrupted data file.  Matchmaking was totally broken (not hyperbole -- ACTUALLY totally broken where it just didn't work) so you needed to come here to find invites to private games if you didn't have friends who played.  There were a ton of in-game glitches (I will never forget the packanack lodge and higgins haven house glitches). 

Basically, in the "golden days", the game was broken (almost unplayable at times), but when you DID get in, it was an amazing experience and the playerbase were true fans who were there for a survival horror experience (for the most part).  Now, the game works, but it's so unbalanced and favors casuals who are there for a dance party to the point that it's not worth playing.  So.....lose-lose, I'd say. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daveliam said:

I appreciate the golden days too.  But I do want to also keep perspective and remember the frustrations at that time too.  On Xbox, the game crashed about 60-70% of the time.  I couldn't play the game at all for the first week or so because of a corrupted data file.  Matchmaking was totally broken (not hyperbole -- ACTUALLY totally broken where it just didn't work) so you needed to come here to find invites to private games if you didn't have friends who played.  There were a ton of in-game glitches (I will never forget the packanack lodge and higgins haven house glitches). 

Basically, in the "golden days", the game was broken (almost unplayable at times), but when you DID get in, it was an amazing experience and the playerbase were true fans who were there for a survival horror experience (for the most part).  Now, the game works, but it's so unbalanced and favors casuals who are there for a dance party to the point that it's not worth playing.  So.....lose-lose, I'd say. 

Yeah there's no denying that matchmaking was a nightmare. When you found a game it was a treat though! I'm a huge fan of every installment of the series. My brother introduced me to Friday when I was a kid and now this game allows us to play the game with eachother from across the country. The game is definetly not without faults but it blows the NES version out of the water. ?

• Like 1

Interesting reading about how the game was in the beginning. But I am really blown away by some of the comments about how awful the game is (or has become). I absolutely love it. I do get a bit frustrated sometimes as Jason and feel he may be just a tad too weak at times, but damn I love this game.

Beta/Launch- I was scared shitless as a counselor. Finding a pocket knife was a rare event, and surviving a match was an actual achievement.  I had a blast scaring counselors as Jason. Couldn't play on my XBox at all, and gave up on the option early. Played solely on Steam. There was a risk when you attempted to save someone who had been grabbed, or if you surrounded Jason trying to attack. You could hit the other players and hurt them. 

Now- Matchmaking is much more stable. It is rare to play a match and not find at least 2 pocket knives, a shotgun, and several medsprays. Counselors actively hunt Jason, and stunlocking is a regular occurrence.  Jason is afraid of the counselors rather than the other way around. Silly bunny outfits, speedos, and pink cop uniforms are there for the taking so dancing idiots can troll Jason. If you die as a counselor now it is unfortunate, not the expected outcome (as it should be).

In short, the horror survival aspect of this game is a sad shell of it's former self. I still have fun from time to time, but it is the exception now, not the rule.

• Like 2