Jump to content
a kamikaze man

Whats your job/what are you studying?

Recommended Posts

As we have a thread about where we're from, which I've just noticed has got away with being accepted in the general game discussion page, I'd be interested to know what we are all doing with ourselves outside of the game. Do you have an interesting job or are you studying to work up to getting into work?

To kick the ball rolling, I'll have to start with myself. I live in England's flattest and best farming land, so naturally my job is to work off it. I am a tractor driver for a farming company that manages other peoples land and also rents land to make money. The company I work for farms around 10,000 acres and I have been working for them for about a year now. I end up planting potatoes and Gladioli flowers in spring before spending the summer months delivering cut Gladioli and Sunflowers before autumn potato harvest which runs until mid Nov. (that's a very rough idea of my years job role). Its hard work in all weathers with several breakdowns along the way. At peak harvest I sometimes end up running through two weeks before a day off work clocking around 90 hours per week. Luckily I collected holiday leave for Christmas and have just returned back today after 3 weeks off. Unfortunately for me my company tractor broke down on me before Christmas and three weeks later I find it in the workshop with the same error codes and a new oil leak for the fitter to fix...

So what's your job at the moment? Or what are you currently studying? Hopefully all is going well for everyone! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work weekends at a Christian camp. I work in the kitchen cleaning dishes, sweeping, mopping, serving food, restocking things, etc, and sometimes I do stuff like run the water slide, assist in our low ropes courses, etc. I make $10/hr. I also am an on again off again tutor at the college I go to. I've tutored in World Literature, World Religions, and Basic Christian Beliefs. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor of arts in Christian Ministries. I'm taking a semester off after I graduate to find a full time job and move out of my parents house among other things, then in 2019 I'm going to start college at a place in Dayton, Ohio called United Theological Seminary to get my Master of Divinity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m currently studying Creative Writing and Hospitality and Tourism Management at university. I want to work down at Orlando for Disney and Universal as part of the creative team. I’m applying for the Disney College Program Fall 2018 Program when it drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently work for a U.S. defense contractor teaching military students (been doing that about the last 13 years). I have a background in military intelligence working as an analyst among other things. I have a couple degrees; related to Homeland Security and unmanned aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i work at a grocery store not too far from my apartment.Because of my learning disability,i always fail the driver's ed written test,due to misunderstanding the majority of the questions(Things have to be phrased a specific way for me to understand them).As a result,i take the city bus to work,there's one a few blocks away from my apartment,so that's good,and it has a stop right infront of my store.I bag groceries for customers,bring shopping carts in from outside(I hate winter...lol),clean spills/bathrooms.My co-workers are awesome,it's the abusive customers that many of us really hate,due to the customers often resorting to swearing and name calling whenever they don't like something,it happens alot in retail jobs,i'm told.

My dad died over a year ago,and now my mom is dying of cancer.Both of my half-siblings(Mom was married before) live out of state,and my half-sister hates my mom,so she doesn't care.I check in on my mom on some of my days off,we saw The Last Jedi last week,enjoyed it alot.I'm single,had too many abusive ex's,not sure if i'll ever have another girlfriend again at this rate.For now,just concentrating on my job,and mom,and what movie-watching and video game-playing time i get when my world isn't crushing me...lol....it helps when i try to have a sense of humor about everything.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High school I’m studying psychology, English, math , sports , Art , music , DT , business, Turkish, Chinese, History 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

Turkish? Sounds interesting.

Idk if your talking to me but I am Turkish so I thought that it would be easier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a writer and professional voice actor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for replying, I thought I would take the time to get back to you all:

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, deathbat96777 said:

I work weekends at a Christian camp. I work in the kitchen cleaning dishes, sweeping, mopping, serving food, restocking things, etc, and sometimes I do stuff like run the water slide, assist in our low ropes courses, etc. I make $10/hr. I also am an on again off again tutor at the college I go to. I've tutored in World Literature, World Religions, and Basic Christian Beliefs. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor of arts in Christian Ministries. I'm taking a semester off after I graduate to find a full time job and move out of my parents house among other things, then in 2019 I'm going to start college at a place in Dayton, Ohio called United Theological Seminary to get my Master of Divinity. 

That sounds good fun helping out at the camp and your Christian course sounds very interesting. I honestly don't know if there is an equivalent in the U.K other than becoming a priest. Once you get your Master of Divinity, what sort of job are you aiming for? I too would like to move out! Unfortunately house prices are ridiculous and until I find the right person to spend my life with I am reluctant to get a mortgage by myself.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, LadySansaLannister said:

I’m currently studying Creative Writing and Hospitality and Tourism Management at university. I want to work down at Orlando for Disney and Universal as part of the creative team. I’m applying for the Disney College Program Fall 2018 Program when it drops.

Disney could indeed offer you some big opportunities, I hope you are lucky at the end of the year. If not, then don't give your hopes up there is plenty of work in hospitality and tourism!

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Alkavian said:

I currently work for a U.S. defense contractor teaching military students (been doing that about the last 13 years). I have a background in military intelligence working as an analyst among other things. I have a couple degrees; related to Homeland Security and unmanned aircraft.

Sounds very interesting, particularly with unmanned aircraft. I suppose I could say farming is my homeland security role as we all need food! That aside I did consider military service but I just couldn't bring myself to make the lifestyle change. In fact I probably work more hours in a more rigid lifestyle in farming than if I had gone into military service. Even part time reservist is out of the question because I work too long in the week...

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:05 AM, Man Behind the Mask said:

Chef. I work with knives... and souls... 

Nice! I wouldn't want to be a chef myself but if I had the money I would own a restaurant and would help out in its kitchen if I needed to (I am not much of a cook!).

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:31 AM, JF13 said:

i work at a grocery store not too far from my apartment.Because of my learning disability,i always fail the driver's ed written test,due to misunderstanding the majority of the questions(Things have to be phrased a specific way for me to understand them).As a result,i take the city bus to work,there's one a few blocks away from my apartment,so that's good,and it has a stop right infront of my store.I bag groceries for customers,bring shopping carts in from outside(I hate winter...lol),clean spills/bathrooms.My co-workers are awesome,it's the abusive customers that many of us really hate,due to the customers often resorting to swearing and name calling whenever they don't like something,it happens alot in retail jobs,i'm told.

My dad died over a year ago,and now my mom is dying of cancer.Both of my half-siblings(Mom was married before) live out of state,and my half-sister hates my mom,so she doesn't care.I check in on my mom on some of my days off,we saw The Last Jedi last week,enjoyed it alot.I'm single,had too many abusive ex's,not sure if i'll ever have another girlfriend again at this rate.For now,just concentrating on my job,and mom,and what movie-watching and video game-playing time i get when my world isn't crushing me...lol....it helps when i try to have a sense of humor about everything.

Its always good when your job isn't far from where you live. Its great that you work within a good team of helpful co-workers too, its never fun when you don't get on with who you have to work with. I am sorry to hear of your family loss and cancer battle. I am yet to find the right partner too, but I'm sure you will find the right person eventually. Its always good to keep a busy job because it keeps you focused and strong, you know at the end of the day you have achieved something and lets you forget lifes worries. Yes you get bad days at work, but the next day can be a fresh start. I am sorry to hear about your abusive customers, I don't think I would be very good at your job - if they were like that too me I would refuse to serve them, and then probably loose the job! You must be a very calm and caring person.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, Moe9999633 said:

High school I’m studying psychology, English, math , sports , Art , music , DT , business, Turkish, Chinese, History 

I hope you do well in all your exams, with the list of subjects your studying I know you'll do well. Languages can be very important, I wasn't very good at learning foreign languages, but there's always a demand for people that can speak another such as career translators that get paid a lot by the minute.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Cokeyskunk said:

I'm a writer and professional voice actor.

Is that as hard a career choice as I think? Well not unless you hit it big with a best selling series or lead role in an animated film! Do you have to back this up with other work or are you living comfortably off writing and speaking? I wish I could find a secondary talent that could earn myself something on the side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, a kamikaze man said:

Disney could indeed offer you some big opportunities, I hope you are lucky at the end of the year. If not, then don't give your hopes up there is plenty of work in hospitality and tourism!

Thank you! I actually applied today. Here’s to hoping I get it 🙏🏾!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a data processor in the lettershop business. Long story short, I make junk mail.:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

I'm a data processor in the lettershop business. Long story short, I make junk mail.:mellow:

Does your junk mail include coupons?:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, a kamikaze man said:

I hope you do well in all your exams, with the list of subjects your studying I know you'll do well. Languages can be very important, I wasn't very good at learning foreign languages, but there's always a demand for people that can speak another such as career translators that get paid a lot by the minute.

Thank you i to Hope I do good in my exams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, a kamikaze man said:

 

That sounds good fun helping out at the camp and your Christian course sounds very interesting. I honestly don't know if there is an equivalent in the U.K other than becoming a priest. Once you get your Master of Divinity, what sort of job are you aiming for? I too would like to move out! Unfortunately house prices are ridiculous and until I find the right person to spend my life with I am reluctant to get a mortgage by myself.

 

I want to be a deacon in the Methodist denomination, but I'm also going to do non church related things as well. I'm looking into eventually going to film school. I will likely do that after I get my Masters of Divinity. I want to make horror movies, comedies, and superhero movies. It will all be my own original ideas, but I would be interested in doing remakes and/or sequels if the opportunity arose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×