Sign in to follow this  
BeautyNumber2

Change Your Gamma to 1.75; Scary as Hell

With many of us feeling that our hands are tied regarding balance and immersion, I recommend lowering your gamma to 1.75 for a real treat. I previously had it at 2 and now the game is much scarier for me. I’ve been coming up with any way to make the game more challenging for me personally as a counselor. I have been having a blast forbidding myself from using health sprays and pocket knives. With even a mediocre Jason, the game has regained some of its original feel. Others might be bunnies dancing around with 3 pocket knives, but I’m actually having more fun. Hey, it’s all I can do anymore. 

Lowering the gamma will also make everything look better overall; more richness. 

Also, play with the backlight, brightness and contrast settings on your TV. A lot of times TVs are set too bright, and everything looks fine if the source is bright, but once there's a lot of darker visuals it starts to look too milky or foggy, instead of black.

On my TV, I reduced the backlight significantly and the brightness just a little for fine-tuning. The picture is now much darker but I can still see everything I need to as a counselor and as Jason. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

Lowering the gamma will also make everything look better overall; more richness. 

Also, play with the backlight, brightness and contrast settings on your TV. A lot of times TVs are set too bright, and everything looks fine if the source is bright, but once there's a lot of darker visuals it starts to look too milky or foggy, instead of black.

On my TV, I reduced the backlight significantly and the brightness just a little for fine-tuning. The picture is now much darker but I can still see everything I need to as a counselor and as Jason. 

Exactly. I turned it down further to 160 and I’m shitting myself. You really can’t see anything without the flashlight. It’s def made th game more interesting. 

I think the in-game brightness should be lowered. Trouble is with people doing it manually, everyone needs to be on the same playing field. You're almost dis-advantaging yourself by doing it yourself. But I do agree with all the above points. 

• Like 1

If your TV allows it, turn up the sharpness in the picture because sometimes the graphics in the game look a little bit too soft and when you bring up the sharpness, it showcases more detail in the game.

That’s how I play as well, it’s even better when rain is on and you’re having to run through the Woods being chased. 

This is interesting, but I understand the devs making the game brighter on purpose.  They're just showing off their graphics and details and want people to see all the little things that they put into the game.  I see both sides of it, but playing so that you need your flashlight on sounds fun.

I bet there's an option to turn off the music too, so you don't hear when Jason's close.  Makes it more realistic and would produce a massive amount of jump scares.

Change the gamma all you want, it'll never be as scary as sitting across the couch from Maury and having him rip open the paternity test result envelope: "When it comes to the parentage of little Seqoia Applesauce, Bropollocreed79, you are..."

• Like 1