As this forum is going to be primarily horror themed, I thought I'd bring up this particular game as it follows the genre. I myself haven't played it yet, though I have tried it at a friends for an hour or so, but I wanted to get a discussion going.

I love these types of games, similar to Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, I seemed to become more immersed in their worlds and actually make (or at least try) decisions which hopefully will have the better outcome (at least the first time playing).

Without too many spoilers; what did you like about the game, what did you dislike and do you think it deserves a sequel?

• Like 1

We had fun at our office playing the game. 

Was interesting to see who could die and under what circumstances; was particularly mad when people died in my playthrough. Two of them were complete BS deaths, lol. 

Matt got killed cause I shot the flare rather than kept it...and he fell towards a Wendigo, Sam died because my non-moving controller moved and Chris died when I shot a Wendigo and the game said 'lol no you didn't'

• Like 3

I personally thought it was a fantastic game, it really nailed the horror atmosphere and graphically speaking it's one of, if not the best looking game on the PS4. Something that almost immediately made me a fan of the game was the central focus on Native American culture, which being a born and raised Washingtonian has always been a fascinating subject to me. Although there's some flat deliveries here and there, the actors voicing the characters do a great job portraying their respective horror cliche characters (the jock, the diva, the girl next door, etc.) Although the perk of it being interactive is the ability to deviate from the norms of said cliches. Do you want to make the usually muscle-headed jock the most level headed and badass member of the group? Choose wisely and you just might be able to do that. I found myself caring about all of the characters and doing everything I could to make sure they all stayed alive, a rare effect that few other horror games have achieved for me.

Honestly my biggest criticism of the game is that the first half relies way too heavily on jump scares, to the point where it feels like there's one every couple of minutes. I'm okay with a few jump scares here and there, but it nearly took me out of the experience with their frequency. Thankfully they start to diminish as the game progressed and the story started to get way more interesting and dare I say unique for a big budget horror game.

As for whether I think it deserves a sequel, this is admittedly difficult to discuss without diving into massive spoilers, at least in depth. To put it bluntly, it does leave itself with just enough room to do a sequel and I personally would love to see a continuation of these characters stories. It doesn't hurt that the developers themselves are interesting in doing a sequel.

I'm actually picking the game up on Friday cause Best Buy is selling it for only $20. I've been wanting to play it since it released, but just have been so busy that I've been putting it off till a good price showed up. I'm super excited to play through it though. You played Soma at all? It's made by the same guys that did Amnesia and both are some of the best horror games I've ever played through.

• Like 1

I'm going to be purchasing some time in the new year with the purpose of streaming it on Twitch, it should make for an interesting playthrough as I've not played past the first hour or so, if that.

I love games in which the decisions you make effect the gameplay in numerous ways and the fact that you are able to kill off characters in this is fantastic. My first playthrough will most certainly be me trying to keep everyone alive, though I know something will catch me off guard and I will make a mistake just as I did with Heavy Rain and one of the male characters in that.

As for a sequel I don't necessarily mean with the same characters, a new storyline would also be great but with the same game mechanics.

@Ralph - I've yet to play SOMA, it's on my to purchase list. I got a lot of PR emails etc about it during the run up to release and it seemed like an interesting game. I've not played through Amnesia yet myself, I kept stopping due to the creepy atmosphere and little jump scares here and there. I really should finish it and then purchase SOMA.

• Like 1

I bought it recently. I used about half a day or something before i was done! I absolutely love these interactive games because you just end up feeling like you're experiencing it yourself! There is a chance for a sequel, but it would be a new setting and brand new characters and everything. It's been said so and it's really understandable. I do hope some sort of sequel do come to frution though.

Loved all of it. Really can't go too much into my personal thoughts without spoilers, but there's one big thing that is suddenly getting discussed thanks to a Game Theory video about the game that I'm glad is getting some chatter now.

I got a PS4 just for that game! Lol.

I love it, it was fun, and creepy and made me jump at times. 

I've played it twice and had two different outcomes...

My first playthrough, Chris and Sam survived. In my second playthrough,

Sam, Emily and Jessica survived!

Haven't played it but did watch the complete LP the Super Best Friends did of it. It's funny, it's the kind of game that can be so annoying elsewhere - lots of QTEs, walking sections and this-or-that dialogue - but the direction, style and writing was an absolute strength. It was definitely cool how they managed to take the horror trope characters and yet you still wanted to see them survive. Yeah, even Emily!

• Like 1

I waa a luttle disappointed because I actually wanted a human killer but its still a great game and I hope there are more like it

• Like 2

havent played this yet but will eventually pick it up as a used copy or during a promotion for cheap

• Like 1

it's only $20 at Bestbuy.com today. It keeps selling out and then getting resupplied, but I was just able to log in and buy a copy five minutes ago.

We had fun at our office playing the game. 

Was interesting to see who could die and under what circumstances; was particularly mad when people died in my playthrough. Two of them were complete BS deaths, lol. 

Matt got killed cause I shot the flare rather than kept it...and he fell towards a Wendigo, Sam died because my non-moving controller moved and Chris died when I shot a Wendigo and the game said 'lol no you didn't'

Wow. Thats booty. LOL

it's only $20 at Bestbuy.com today. It keeps selling out and then getting resupplied, but I was just able to log in and buy a copy five minutes ago.

Ralph when you first posted I forgot to say thank you. I'm an "elite" member of the reward zone so they gave early access I checked it out and scooped that and a couple other games. I did not hear of the game until the thread but at $20 you can't go wrong.if you are a part of the gamers club it's still eligible for the discount which is awesome.

• Like 1

guess what.... i'm from germany.

extended edition is still 60€ here. about 65$.

we pay much more for games here in general (not as bad as australia though). a brand new game is is 69,99€, which is 75$

• Like 1

I ordered this today, just over £18 on sale which I didn't think was too bad. Wont have the game room redecorated until close to Christmas so I will most likely be playing this over my Christmas break. I hope it snows, then I will feel one with the game!

• Like 1

Ralph when you first posted I forgot to say thank you. I'm an "elite" member of the reward zone so they gave early access I checked it out and scooped that and a couple other games. I did not hear of the game until the thread but at $20 you can't go wrong.if you are a part of the gamers club it's still eligible for the discount which is awesome.

Totally agree. I was already thinking of grabbing the game if it dropped below $40 this holiday season, but scoring a copy at $20 was just too crazy to let pass. I was going to attempt to drive to the Best Buy near my place after work if they didn't restock it online, but the shopping gods were good to me yesterday and spared me from the 7 layers of crowds and long lines hell. Glad you were able to jump on it as well. BTW Jpops, Microsot has the Gears remake for only $15. I know you mentioned you were a fan, so I thought I'd let you know. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-for-Xbox-One/productID.319983400

• Like 1

guess what.... i'm from germany.

extended edition is still 60€ here. about 65$.

we pay much more for games here in general (not as bad as australia though). a brand new game is is 69,99€, which is 75$

It was mostly just information for anyone that could use it. I found a reddit post that claimed someone was selling it for only 25 Euro in Germany though. Keep an eye on whatever business that is and see if it goes on sale again between now and Christmas. https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3ughq6/until_dawn_and_the_order_1886_for_25_total_germany/ 

And you guys got an extended edition?! We just have one version of it over here from what I've seen. I wonder if there's any real difference in them...

Totally agree. I was already thinking of grabbing the game if it dropped below $40 this holiday season, but scoring a copy at $20 was just too crazy to let pass. I was going to attempt to drive to the Best Buy near my place after work if they didn't restock it online, but the shopping gods were good to me yesterday and spared me from the 7 layers of crowds and long lines hell. Glad you were able to jump on it as well. BTW Jpops, Microsot has the Gears remake for only $15. I know you mentioned you were a fan, so I thought I'd let you know. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-for-Xbox-One/productID.319983400

Thanks Ralph I am the fool who bought it when it came out for $40 :P

• Like 1

I actually really like this game. I love the cheese, the stereotypes, everything. It reminds me of a B-rated movie and we all know how most horror fans can appreciate a good B-rated movie!  :lol: It was funny at some parts but there were also parts that made me jump and if you look deeper, it is actually a very smart game, you just have to look a bit deeper than the surface. The big bad is amazing! Anyone who's curious about it or are relying off bad reviews, just play it, make your own opinion, it's not bad, especially if you're a horror fan.

And you guys got an extended edition?! We just have one version of it over here from what I've seen. I wonder if there's any real difference in them...

The only difference is the price lol, I paid $94 for the extended, the standard was like $59, and it adds one small chapters towards the start which is basically just Emily being a bitch for 20 minutes ;p

Such a good game though, I still feel the extra $$$ was worth it *_*

• Like 1

I paid full price for the game and thought it was worth it. It was fun, stressful and scary.

10/10

I knew it was an "interactive movie" going into it, but I was still annoyed for the first 2 or 3 hours how little gameplay there really was.  And the characters were so shallow and annoying I just wanted them all to die.  But it looks amazing and the acting is great.  By the end of it I wanted to try to save them all (yes, even Emily) even though I knew how kill off some if I wanted too.
Still, I wished it had more to it than quick-time events.  It has a scene or two in an abandoned mine, just like Half-Life 2 (which I never played until recently, amazing by the way) and Rise of the Tomb Raider.  In both of those games you actually get to run and jump and climb around the mines.  In Until Dawn you just walk to a ladder and press "climb" or walk to some rocks and press "jump up" or "climb left."  Boring!
And the changes that came about from different characters' deaths were almost non-existent.  There wasn't much point in wasting 10 hours doing it all again for the few differences.
It also could have used a little more T&A.  It was pretty tame, and not very 80s horror movie like, in that respect.
Still, great plot, great acting, fantastic looking.  The first half was a little slow, but the last have breezed by.  I don't know if it was worth $60, but the 10 or so "episodes" for $20 or $30 is well worth it.  It was more fun that I've had watching most movies or TV shows lately.

Still, I wished it had more to it than quick-time events.  It has a scene or two in an abandoned mine, just like Half-Life 2 (which I never played until recently, amazing by the way) and Rise of the Tomb Raider.  In both of those games you actually get to run and jump and climb around the mines.  In Until Dawn you just walk to a ladder and press "climb" or walk to some rocks and press "jump up" or "climb left."  Boring!

And the changes that came about from different characters' deaths were almost non-existent.  There wasn't much point in wasting 10 hours doing it all again for the few differences.

thats basically the main reason i dont play games like these.

I loved it. When I first heard about it I got so excited I preordered it right away. I definitely was not disappointed. The one thing i hated was that therapist, he was so annoying XD i hated the part where he asked me what feared me the most and I chose spiders right away (because I'm an arachniphobic). 

Other than that, it had great elements of story telling and character development. Mike was my favorite because he went from this whiney douchebag into this heroic badass who saves everyone (in my playthrough anyway). I want to play it again and save everybody this time. The replay value is also a strong point I'd like to make about this game too.