Brigadius

How long is your member...

...ship?

So how long have you been playing games? Name your consoles and how long you've been playing. You can even throw in some of your all-time favorite titles. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Jesus I thought this thread was something else for a moment.

I also thought @Brigadius had finally lost it! :lol: To the original question, at the risk of dating myself:

My first console was an Atari 2600 hand-me-down from my older brother. Some of the best titles off of the top of my head are: Yar's Revenge, Missile Command, Adventure, Demon Attack, Joust, and QBert.

I also inherited a Commodore 64. My favorite game was Wizard of Wor. I actually spent hours and hours trying to program games on it. The only real success I had was a game that had a smiley face trying to navigate down through a field of ♠️ symbols. If you hit one of the symbols, the smiley turned into a frown. If you made it to the bottom, the screen alternated between red and green, and you started over. There was no scoring. I must have spent 20+ hours with "if-then" and "if-then-else" statements. I hate BASIC to this day.

I spent many hours, days, weeks, quarters, etc... in arcades, convenience stores, skating rinks, pool halls, well...just basically anywhere that had video games. Galaga is probably my all time favorite stand-up video game, but I had fun with many, many others. Some that come to mind are, Gauntlet, TMNT, Dragon's Lair, Tempest, Robotron, QBert, there was this one hyper-violent Football game that I can't remember the name of that I had fun playing against other people with, and Return of the Jedi. There were many more, but, this is just a list off the top of my head.

The first console I purchased myself was a NES. Of course I had a blast with Super Mario and Duck Hunt. My friends and I spent many hours playing both. Castlevania, TMNT, Super Mario 3, Mike Tyson's Punch Out (Yeah "Iron Mike", I kicked your ass!), Zelda, Double Dragon 2, Battletoads (Still haven't beaten this!), Contra, and Mega Man 2.

Next, of course, came the Super Nintendo. This might be my favorite console of all time. Super Mario World, Turtles in Time, A Link To the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Tecmo Bowl, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid...the list could go on forever.

I played PC games a lot during the 90s-200s. I was Blizzard's little bitch. Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft and all of their sequels. Except Starcraft Ghost, because they wussed out on it. I also got into first-person shooters during this time. Of course, Doom was one of the first, but I was more drawn to Heretic because of the fantasy aspect. I also played a lot of Sierra's Dungeons and Dragons games. Bio-Shock was another great game that I loved. Phantasmagoria was good, but, it could have been better. I will not speak of WoW. It took a 12-step program, counseling, and an intervention to get me away from that game. :lol:

I bought the X-Box green Halo edition when it came out. I loved Halo. I went through the single player campaign of the original 3 times, and I was a beast on multiplayer. Star Wars: KotOR, the best Star Wars game, ever. If you don't believe it, come at me bro! haha Madden and NCAA Football were both great, because it was a fun time with your friends, sitting around and having tournaments.

Bought an XBox One: Assassin's Creed edition, and had a lot of fun with it. Mostly with Madden, AC, Minecraft with the kiddo, and the Halo Master Chief bundle. Ft13th never really worked for me on this console, so I just played it on Steam. Me and the fam had some fun with some of the store games, but, I didn't play as much as they did.

Gave the XB1 to my brother when I ordered the XB1X. Unfortunately, I got a brick. Just recently received the new console. Haven't been able to test it out much for myself, but the wife and munchkin are having a blast with it. I do have to say that the graphics upgrade is definitely impressive.  I can't wait to have time to actually spend some time with this one. (If I can kick that little 6-year old tyrant off of it! :lol:)

We also have my laptop, the wifey's laptop, the desktop PC, my son's PS3, NES Mini, SNES Mini, Original XBox (Green Halo Edition), an original NES (with about 40 games), son's 3DS, Galaxy Tab8, son's IPad Mini, and a working Commodore 64.

Holy shit! I'm a gaming geek, I married a gaming geek, and we are raising a gaming geek. It's ok, I could think of worse vices for a family. :D 

Just don't bring up movies, that could get worse...much worse.

TL;DR: I've played a lot of video games. What can I say? I like 'em. The bad thing is that I am more of a movie freak than I am a video game freak.

• Like 2

My dad works with computers so the first console I remember was a Commodore 64. After that we had an Atari 7800. Next up came the NES. We had gotten the one with World-class Track Meet, Duck hunt and Mario Bros, so we had the power pad.

From then on, the only consoles I never got were Neo geo, Atari jaguar, Sega Saturn, and a couple others. Haven't owned anything Nintendo since Wii. Wasn't happy with N64, Game cube and such. Tried a DS for a while, but just not into handhelds. Although I did have a cream colored brick of a Game boy and a Gamegear. Snes and Genesis were my favorite years of gaming probably. Followed by the original PlayStation.I also haven't owned anything Sony since PlayStation 2 and only had a PSP for a few months after its release. It was cool to mod and get movies on, but didn't play much.

I have had Xbox Live since Halo 2 came out. I only missed a few months a while back due to lack of funds for the subscription. Other than that, I have gone through the Xbox generations.

I loved JRPGs of the PlayStation era. I remember the first time seeing a fatality in Mortal Kombat and i was hooked there for a while. Was a big FPS fan through most of the Xbox console generations. I won't go into too much depth on titles as there are too many and I have ranted enough. Maybe one day I will pick a few out from each console that I loved and list them.

• Like 1

Well played Brig.:lol: :::puts down the measuring tape:::<_<

I've been gaming since ~84'. Started out playing Pong on a friend's Colecovision and then I got a new Atari 2600. I've had a ton of systems over the years. I suppose I'm a bit like Goons...it is more about listing the few systems I didn't own.

• Haha 1

In terms of owning my own machine, I started in 1986 with a ZX Spectrum 128k.
First game I bought was a flip-screen precision puzzler called Roboto, by Bug Byte Software, for £1.99.

In terms of when I first played on one, well...I do remember playing on the BBC Micro Model B our school had, back around 1982-83.
Chuckie Egg, Donkey Kong, Granny's Garden (text adventure), early things like that.

Systems owned, I've gone Spectrum-Mega Drive-Saturn-PS-Dreamcast-PS2-Xbox 360-PS4-Xbox One.
My biggest gap is quite obviously that Nintendo was really never a 'thing' for me or anyone around me in my life. One friend had a SNES and we played Mario Kart and Street Fighter a bit, but that's been it. So no Zelda, almost no Mario, no Starfox, no Kirby and so on.

Still got my old Spectrum in my parent's loft, as well. Along with more than 500 cassette tapes of the games I had for it!

• Like 2

Uh, around 30 years. Started with Super Mario Brothers and the Legend of Zelda and the Nintendo Entertainment System. From there it was the following. 

NES

SNES

Sega Genesis

Turbo Grafix-16

Nintendo 64

Sega Saturn

Gamecube

Playstation

Xbox

Playstation 2

Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

Playstation 3

Nintendo Wii U

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

Nintendo Switch

I think that covers all the consoles owned over the years. 

As far as games it was pretty much any game I could get my hands on. I've had way too many favorites to list in 30 years some I am sure to forget always had a special place in my heart for the legend of Zelda I played that game so many times on the NES. Ah the good old days. 

• Like 1

In 1979, when I was 3, my dad brought home a PONG console. Wood paneling and all. There were no cartridges, and there were only THREE versions of the game you could play. You had to hook it into your TV (ours in the back bedroom was black & white) by loosening screws on your antenna and attaching the Y-prong wires that came with the game.

The next console we had after that was an Atari 2600.

This post makes me feel ancient.

• Haha 1

Not as old as everyone here, but my first venture into video gaming was the playstation 1. I used to play twisted metal 2 with my dad, and from there I became a Playstation member for life.

Then one day, at the age of 10, I discovered an old copy of Final Fantasy 7....and beat the whole game at the age of 12. I didn't really understand half the mature shit that was going on in the game, but I cried my eyes out when Aerith died.

Now there's a remake coming out. I have to wonder if Square Enix will do the game justice, or if it ends up being a crapload of cinematics that would make Squaresoft shake their heads.

6 hours ago, JPops said:

As far as games it was pretty much any game I could get my hands on. I've had way too many favorites to list in 30 years some I am sure to forget always had a special place in my heart for the legend of Zelda I played that game so many times on the NES. Ah the good old days. 

That was always my favorite. I played that game more than I care to admit. I guess it was the Skyrim of it's day. LOL.

• Like 1

I’ve been gaming since I was four with my sister’s Super Nintendo and PS1 (where I became addicted to playing games with a certain purple dragon) but I officially owned:

-A Gameboy Advance at seven years old. Lots of love for plenty of the titles but the GBA is where I discovered Kingdom Hearts and Pokémon. Mario Kart too.

-A DS.

-A PS2 Slim. Many favorites but special mentions goes to falling in love with The Sims here, along with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

-A PSP. That I later lost ?.

-A Wii

-A 3DS

-A PS4 and a Slim.

-Now a Retro Duo console.

18 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

In 1979, when I was 3, my dad brought home a PONG console. Wood paneling and all. There were no cartridges, and there were only THREE versions of the game you could play. You had to hook it into your TV (ours in the back bedroom was black & white) by loosening screws on your antenna and attaching the Y-prong wires that came with the game.

The next console we had after that was an Atari 2600.

This post makes me feel ancient.

You're not ancient. You're vintage! You're retro ;)

Seems like a bunch of here know the joys of monochromatic graphics and waiting 10 minutes for a game to load, though.

I often still reflect on how much technology has changed in my lifetime. I'm convinced that, in decades to come, this era will be known as the Technological Revolution or Communication Revolution in much the same way as there was the Industrial Revolution in the 1800s and so on.

The quantum leaps in computing technology and the ability to communicate around the world have been absolutely staggering in the four decades I've been alive.
In a way I feel kinda privileged to have that experience, rather than just being young now and knowing just the world of 4k graphics and social media and YouTube and so on as something concrete and there. Closest I have to that is VHS generation, as I was too young to be around for the VHS-Betamax battles so VHS is all I knew.

20 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

I was too young to be around for the VHS-Betamax battles so VHS is all I knew.

My dad actually had a Betamax. He was a paramedic for the local hospital, and the hospital gave it to him as a Christmas gift. We later found out why. You couldn't rent those gigantic tapes anywhere! :lol:

But, the real rivalry from our childhood had to be...Sega vs. Nintendo! I still don't know what blast processing is, but I damn sure wanted it! But, I stuck with Nintendo at the time. Got to play a few games on the Genesis at my friend's house. Now, for a blast from the past:

30 plus years...

Here's a list with some of my favorite games that I can remember:

Atari 2600 - Pong, Combat

Apple II/C - Hard Hat Mack, Boulder Dash, Lode Runner, Zork

Nintendo - Tetris, Blackmanta, Cobra Command, Marble Madness, Duck Hunt, Friday the 13th

Super Nintendo - Puzzle Cosmic Gang, Super Mario World

PS1 - Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII

PS2 - Socom 1-3 & Combined Assault, Max Payne,  Splinter Cell series

PS3 - Socom 4, Uncharted 1-3, Last Of Us, GTA series

I still have a crap load of games in containers but plan to sell throw them away in the near future.  I pretty much only play PC games these days...and my current favorite game of course is this forum namesake.

4 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

You're not ancient. You're vintage! You're retro ;)

Seems like a bunch of here know the joys of monochromatic graphics and waiting 10 minutes for a game to load, though.

I often still reflect on how much technology has changed in my lifetime. I'm convinced that, in decades to come, this era will be known as the Technological Revolution or Communication Revolution in much the same way as there was the Industrial Revolution in the 1800s and so on.

The quantum leaps in computing technology and the ability to communicate around the world have been absolutely staggering in the four decades I've been alive.
In a way I feel kinda privileged to have that experience, rather than just being young now and knowing just the world of 4k graphics and social media and YouTube and so on as something concrete and there. Closest I have to that is VHS generation, as I was too young to be around for the VHS-Betamax battles so VHS is all I knew.

I used to write papers on IT. Now is commonly referred to as the Digital Revolution.

• Like 1