Sign in to follow this  
ikarikh

The wonderful state of Jason

I just got done playing a match where I was Jason. I ate 6 pocket knives in the first 6 minutes. Had a Jenny in front of me who was picking up 3 items from a corpse while i slashed repeatedly. 

Every slash whiffed despite me being literaly on top of her. She ran away, shift in front of her and grab as she's running past me. My hand clips through her face, she keeps running, grab whiffed. 

Next they get phone box repaired. I morph on top of them and grab, same thing as above. Adam runs inside and is complaining on mic he can't find phone. In the meantime, i go to break the box, Jenny hits me with a machete and cancels me out of my animation. Repeat x3.

I grab Jenny, eat another pocket knife. I slash Jenny, whiff. I slash again, whiff. I grab again, whiff. 

Meanwhile Adam still can't find phone.

I grab again, pocket knife. I go to break box again, cancelled out of it 4 more times.

Grab again, whiff.

Phone call gets made.

Another match with Vanessa and Tommy with the same shit as above. Literaly every attack and grab whiffs and any grab that connects eats a knife. Throw knives and put them in limp. Walk up on top of them and grab as they're healing. Whiff.

Repeat but slash this time, whiff.

Then Vanessa gets sweater and i go for her, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff. All the meantime 4 of them gang up and punish every whiff with a stun. My mask comes off. I go for tommy, whiff, whiff, whiff. 

Needless to say, i finally got killed as Jason for the very first time.

Another match I friggin Stalk, Morph behind a cabin then shift inside while Kenny is holding a drawer open making a decision on taking an item or not. He has NO clue i'm there. I shift right on his back, grab him as he's still in the drawer. Can you guess what happened? WHIFF. Kenny closes drawer and runs away.

Same thing happens with Vanessa and Deborah who are chillin' in the woods not moving. Stalk shift on top of them, grab, WHIFF. They flee.

Stalk, Shift, SLASH on top of Deb. WHIFF.

Another match car gets started and i shift directly into the front of it as it's coming at me, they keep going forward while i get pushed off to the side of the car. Car Escapes.

Another match, my fucking Trident is IN Deborah's face as she starts the windup of her bat and guess who gets hit? Not Deborah.

This is shit happening near every night at this point and prior to the current patch, I was not having these issues anywhere near as badly.

If the devs seriously think Jason is in a good place and Counselors don't have it ridiculously easy currently, they are extremely out of touch.

It's at the point where I don't even want to be Jason anymore because you CANNOT reliably punish anything. Every fucking thing whiffs and goes through the counselors. And when you do get a friggin grab on the 30th try, you eat a knife. Wash rinse repeat 7 more times through 100 attempted grabs.

And counselors can heal through slashing and keep going because your slashes whiff too half the damn time.

Then they can stun lock and cancel your animations endlessly while tanking traps like it's nothing and you simply can't RELIABLY punish them.

Let's not even talk about how often Jason gets glitched now to where he can't attack or interact with objects.

This happens in at least 50% of my matches now. You can't fix it unless you successfully grab someone or get hit. Tough luck if they're inside a cabin with doors shut. You literally cannot do anything as you can't break the door down, open it or rage it.

Phone box repaired? Good luck stopping it, you can't interact with it.

It's absolutely atrocious. 

Being skilled with Jason means NOTHING when any attempt you make to counter or surprise a counselor ends in your counter or surprise whiffing 60% of the time. Meanwhile the counselor can RELIABLY punish the living shit out of Jason repeatedly with almost no effort.

I don't understand how the devs think Jason is ok currently. I just don't get it. Do you guys play the game with high level players? If you're playing in pub matches or with low skill friends, you probably don't see any issue.

But against a group of good, coordinated Counselors, it is a NIGHTMARE to be Jason currently because you cannot RELIABLY punish shit.

And when a single counselor can make it impossible for you to stop a phone call because you can't grab or attack her and she can keep cancelling your break animation easily, it's absurd. 

The increase in pocket knives wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for your grabs and attacks constantly whiffing thus making a SUCCESSFUL grab that much more frustrating when it's 7 goddamn pocket knives and it took 7 attempts to get that successful grab in the first place.

Jason friggin' sucks badly right now. 

Counter play and high level play would be fine to deal with counselors if you could RELIABLY use your skills. 

Why are 60% of Jason's grabs and attacks whiffing everytime? How can Jason punish mistakes like that? 

It's like playing Basketball and everytime you get the ball, you trip and lose it. Anytime you go to block a shot, you trip and fall. Anytime you try to steal the ball, you trip and fall.

That's how it feels to be Jason right now. 

I'm so frustrated at this point I don't even want to play him anymore. Just gonna set my preference to counselor only. 

And that sucks because i've happily played Jason since release and always enjoyed it and enjoyed sneaking up on people and scaring the shit out of them or making people fear seeing i was Jason and know they had to be on their A game. 

Now i feel like i'm playing soccer with my legs tied together.

/EndRant

-_-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I agree 100% that Jason is underpowered, particularly in combat and especially group combat which he lacks the tools for.

Even if hit detection was perfect, it would still take a long time to dispatch a group, due to abundance of sprays + Medic + Thick Skin. Even if grab had greater range than at release, it still wouldn't be viable against groups because of grab saves and pocket knives, which lead to chain stuns.

Having said that - I am not experiencing the amount of whiffs you have described, either from weapon swings or grabs. If I whiff, it is mostly because I either misjudged the distance or there were obstacles in the way. There are problems with the hit detection but I haven't experienced them to the same degree as you. Is lag possibly a factor here? Video would help if you have it.

I'm currently putting a guide together on combat as Jason with accompanying footage, as it seems to be the biggest problem for players (and rightfully so). But the short advice I can give right now for slashing is - never commit first. Always bait and punish on whiff. 

Combat and Group Combat would not be a huge issue if hit detection and hitboxes in general weren't so bad.

Lag isn't an issue since i have 120mb down /100mb up FiOS and I am host of private lobbies 95% of the time (because i have a good connection and give everyone good pings).

When I shift too far or misjudge a swing, that's on me. I don't complain about those because that's my fault. 

I'm complaining solely about shit where I'm literaly standing on top of Counselors, my hand or weapon is going through them and it's still missing.

Counselors are STANDING there picking up items off a corpse repeatedly while each of my grabs and attacks refuse to connect.

Counselors standing still in drawers or in the woods while i sneak up on them with a stalk shift and put my weapon or arm through their face as i come out of shift, before they even know i'm there, and still missing.

It's ridiculous.

I can deal with a group trying to chain stun me by blocking them then shifting away, knifing and stalk slashing until they start to scatter.

I can deal with a vanessa or Tommy juking around the big table and jumping through windows repeatedly by knifing them as they stand up after climbing in the window and leading my shifts into fake out or stalk shifting.

I can deal with tons of pocket knives by being a slasher jason and knifing.

Counterplay itself would be fine IF Jason reliably actually counterplay.

But when you whiff MORE than half of your attacks and grabs that definitely should have connected, it makes it impossible to reliably outsmart or punish good counselors and leaves YOU wide open to punishment.

When you successfully block a gang bang stun parade only to try and punish it and whiff and then eat stuns as punishment yourself, it's frustrating.

Fix the friggin' hit detection and grab detection (not talking about stretch armstrong grabs. Just make a grab within his radious actually connect)  and that alone will fix a HUGE portion of the problems with Jason.

I can work with everything else. Just allow me to actually hit and grab the friggin counselors. I'll happily eat the 7 goddamn knives as long as each of those 7 grabs connected the first time, not the 30th each.

Let me punish counselors who are standing around unware as i sneak up oj them instead of grabbing or slashing through them only to hear them scream then run away unphased.

And fix the friggin' bugs that glitch Jason out and make him unable to attack or interact. 

Give me the ability to actually punish mistakes reliably and i'll be happy.

The sad part is that is not just affecting Jason players, but the core game play as well. Being a counselor is just as bad as there is no more room left for challenges and the experience overall is shit because it's always going to be a result of either:

1. Easy escapes.

2. Surviving or not, be prepared to deal with long dragged out games since troll counselors are able to take advantage of the nerfs and Jason will have to put up a struggle for a lengthy amount of time.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to watch a Tiffany, Chad, Vanessa and Deborah abuse the shit out of the system, holding lobby players hostage with marathons of dancing and running just for the sake of waiting 4-5 minutes to play another round. Now, combine this with the time to search a session, the amount of host drops and Jason quitters. Can you imagine something like this now? The game is at a point now where it requires you to make certain sacrifices on waiting times. But sometimes I ask myself will it even be worth the wait anymore?

I might have to bow out for awhile until some future updates can bring me back into this game.

Played for the first time for a while in multiplayer last night on the Jarvis map...about five minutes in and I'm in the party house basement looting...suddenly it cuts to the Jason death scene and the game is won.

Yep, balance changes are needed. 

You are preaching to the choir buddy. We all know that Jason (and the game in general) is completely fucked right now..

The sad state of the game and the poor decisions made by the devs have been discussed a million times as of late so the locking of this thread by the forum nazis shall commence in... 

37 minutes ago, Psychosocial23 said:

You are preaching to the choir buddy. We all know that Jason (and the game in general) is completely fucked right now..

The sad state of the game and the poor decisions made by the devs have been discussed a million times as of late so the locking of this thread by the forum nazis shall commence in... 

Nah

In

Yesterday was the first time since I bought the game I changed my preference to counselor. I ended up in a lobby where the room was filled with party chat players who were hunting Jason. First match I was Jason almost was killed but I think lag saved me because they didn’t drop me to my knees. 2nd match somebody else was Jason and he was killed off in the first 10 min. 3rd match I was Jason again. I set up traps around my shack at choke points and infront of the door. I had two Vanessa run for my shack one got caught in a trap and slashed to death the other got the sweater and was gone. Rest of the match I avoided tommy and Vanessa till the round was over. I left the lobby and had one more match after as Jason, where for some reason shift was glitched and I couldn’t use it. Everything else worked but shift so couldn’t really catch anyone and that’s when I said F this Jason is unplayable.

This has been mentioned more times than anything else in the games lifespan, i dont go looking around to hunt down dev posts but has there been any word on this getting attention? I know game development can be hard not to mention the small team, which honestly im sick of hearing about, they made alot of money an can hire some extra people, especially since the games been out since May, plenty of time, IF they havn't already, an do they have anybody like a community manager? Someone who is with the devs an can respond to the community?

Edit: I looked at the staff an see Shifty as Community lead so that answers that

Anyone else having the problem where Jason’s abilities just randomly stop working? Was playing last night and for a good two minutes all four (shift, morph, stalk and sense) would not work at all. Everything else in the game was working fine. Seems that every time I go to play something else is broken.

One thing I hate is smashing down a door and not being able to quickly combat stance and block, councilors just hit you as the last price of the door is broken. It's a free hit.