I did try searching this first and I am not finding this anywhere specifically. Figure a thread on it, for the purpose of advice, might be helpful to some.

So, playing this morning to get a few matches in before work and I've got 2 events where if I can't tell if the players are cheating or it's just a broken-ass game. 

First instance is a match on the Jarvis map, I was a counselor and there was a part 3 Jason. The Jason was morphing on top of players for kills and people were dropping out of the match like flies. Leaving. I was all the way on the south end and there was an AJ to the west of me and a Deb way up north. Two other counselors were off to the middle east of the map. Anyways Jason was making these jumps and I know that 2 minutes in that a part 3 Jason isn't going to be spotting everyone everywhere and would not be able to spam morph. Is this a stellar Jason player or a cheater? 

Second instance I was Jason and chasing down a 4 seater on the small Crystal Lake map. Everyone had dropped out except 4 counselors and the car had been repaired by the time I made my second morph which was unfortunately to the 2 seater. It's bullshit that it got repaired so fast but I know that is part of the game's stupid. The car picked up everyone and I keep getting shit morph landings and it would pass, you know how this goes. Finally the driver crashed, my morph was still on cool down but I had shift available so I got as close as I could and then power-walked to the car as it got started. Driver hits the gas and goes in reverse right in to me, BOOM! ...... Wait, no boom. No fucking boom. The driver was going in reverse and pushing me down the fucking road!? What the actual fuck?? Same thing, cheat or bug? Match was over in 5 minutes and I went 0/4. That has never happened before and I'm now level 140. 

So this all comes down to the question, how do you spot cheating? How can you tell it's cheating and not a bug? I'm not talking about an exploit either. I see this enough, playing on the PC. I could never say, definitively, that someone is running a cheat but there are occasions that what I see is just too off.

Secondly, what do you do? IMO, leave the match. It isn't something you could prove and report because it's usually just one or two things you see happen that raise red flags for you. So, I figure, leave. 

Thoughts?

@DasMurich

It seems as though everyone has witnessed something like this before. Cheating and bugs are completely different and it can sometimes be hard to tell the difference. I notice if it's cheating you can tell by how they use their actions. If they glitch around it can be obvious they aren't cheating. I have witnessed a bug when I try to drop Health sprays, the game thinks I am trying to swing my weapon. Not sure why but there are many bugs that have to do with actions. 

If you witness cheating, and you know it's cheating. I would just leave the lobby and find another. I have stuck to offline bots more often than not, but once and a while when i play with friends and can deal with public matches. Good luck!

If you're on PC, there's a chance it was 3rd party hack tools. The ESP and speed hacks are out there, albeit rare.

The second instance you mention sounds like a bug, although I've never seen it.

The best thing I can recommend is to try and get video proof. If you use an nvidia GPU, Shadowplay is a good way to record. It's surprisingly low impact on PC performance too. You can set instant replay to to anything from 30 seconds to 10 minutes (IIRC). Makes quickly saving what just happened really easy.

I left the first match. In my gut I was thinking, there's no way. This is no glitch. 

Second match I just stayed and ate the loss but I've never seen that. The car just backed in to me and kept going, pushing. It had to register the contact since I was pushed, but it didn't glitch, as in causing any warping or jitters or clipping problems. It pushed me like one counselor can push another. But the player had also just crashed in to a fence post so that was working. Just so weird.

So yeah I'm kind of at a loss of what to look for, or a rule like if I notice A B or C, leave the game. If it's D E or F maybe just leave that lobby afterwards.

I will add, I see these things much more often when the lobby is full of high pingers who don't speaka da engrish.

For the 1st instance, there are predetermined places, on a grid, that Jason lands when he morphs so it may have been coincidence but without footage its hard to tell.

In the second instance, if you stand directly behind a car as it reverses, it will just push Jason around. There actually needs to be a little bit of momentum built up for the crash to happen. This is why I recommend that if you're trying to stop he car while its in reverse, make sure you give it enough space to actually move BEFORE it would hit you.

I dont know if that latter thing has always been i game or not, cant remember since most car stops are from the front or while its usually in motion. Its one of those little things a lot of people dont know about just like how Jason cant remove a player from a car from the passenger side unless its already been started.

Just for future reference, try to make sure if you're going to try and stop a car from the back, give it a bit of a room.

Damn. Good to know on the car. Level 140 and I've never seen that happen, either as Jason or as a counselor. 

Another example. 

Playing last night and being pursued by a Part 4 Jason. As I am in the process of trying to get away and survive on screen I'm getting:

Video static, video static, pause, video static, pause......video static, video static, video static, 

The guy was spamming shift, morph, and/or stalk in 1/2 second intervals. I'm talking faster than the old "one Mississippi" count. 

About 6 minutes in with myself and one other counselor left. 

Hack? Cheating? What does that sound like? Normal?

1 hour ago, DasMurich said:

Another example. 

Playing last night and being pursued by a Part 4 Jason. As I am in the process of trying to get away and survive on screen I'm getting:

Video static, video static, pause, video static, pause......video static, video static, video static, 

The guy was spamming shift, morph, and/or stalk in 1/2 second intervals. I'm talking faster than the old "one Mississippi" count. 

About 6 minutes in with myself and one other counselor left. 

Hack? Cheating? What does that sound like? Normal?

That sounds like a hack. The most static you could see legit in quick succession is three instances. One for Morph, one for Shift, and one for Stalk. Morph and shift would have to happen first since Stalk will negate further static.

3 minutes ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Nah mate paranoia’s coming out later.

THAT'S THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT OF, TOO!!

I was like, "ooOOOoo, are we talking about PARANOIA again?!?!"

And then . . . 

. . . imagine my disappointment.

<_<

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, AldermachXI said:

If you use an nvidia GPU, Shadowplay is a good way to record. It's surprisingly low impact on PC performance too. You can set instant replay to to anything from 30 seconds to 10 minutes (IIRC). Makes quickly saving what just happened really easy.

You can record up to 20 mins on ShadowPlay and also, if you use OBS to record, you can switch the video codec to Nvdia's NVENC H.264 and be able to recorded at the highest quality with almost no impact to the computer. Nvidia is a great company. They really deliver. Check out their moonlanding video too. Very impressive.

Anyway, with hacks, I can't tell the difference anymore. Last night I cleared the whole lobby and was left with Tommy. My knife game was on point and my shift-grabs were on point, so he sprayed himself and I ate 2 pocket knives. All good. He makes it to the fixed but punched out 4 seater, stands by the driver's side door and I hear the fizz of the firecrackers, but there was no popping sound. I look back and he starts throwing these invisible firecrackers one after the other. I see them come out of his hand, but they never hit the floor. So I quit.   

As I quit I realized that this person might not have been hacking. I was Tommy the other day and had unlimited pocket knives in one game and infinite stamina in another.

Multiplayer is straight up garbage. Between the hacking, exploit-glitches, the dickhead personalities on the mics and the dickheads that quit before/during the kills, as Jason it's not worth the time and energy.   

7 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

Anyway, with hacks, I can't tell the difference anymore.

This is what I would hope is sorted out in the thread. 

Unlimited firecrackers? Possibly a hack, possibly a bug. I think the fine line sits between the random shit we all encounter that is obviously due to the bugs and then the controllable, repeatable bugs which steadily become an outright exploit. 

For example: A Jason that shifts every 3 seconds is probably a hack. Jason shifting isn't a bug, and the shift in and of itself is working correctly, it's just that they're running it with no cool down.

Likewise, if everyone sees that over the next 2 weeks counselors seem to have an endless supply of firecrackers then we're all stuck with a bunch of twats using a new found exploit.

Like if I get killed early enough and can spectate for a bit and start watching Jason go back to one particular counselor and they dick around, then he goes to another, kills them, then back to their buddy? Yeah fuck that I'm leaving, hosting or not. Just get out and find a new lobby. Unlimited firecrackers? I'd probably do a second round and then decide if it seems like someone is cheating by some means.

13 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

Unlimited firecrackers? I'd probably do a second round and then decide if it seems like someone is cheating by some means.

Someone used an unreachable exploit spot on me as Jason recently. When I realized all the normal means of getting to them weren't going to work, I quit. I've gone through this shit enough. One of my first Jason rounds back in June when I first started playing, was me knifing an exploiting Tommy to death. It's retarded. I refuse to figure out a way around an exploit. 

I have zero-tolerance for this shit. I'm not waiting around to find out if it's a glitch or a hack. It doesn't matter...they're gonna use it anyway. 

For the car pushing Jason, it could be a hack, but with the state of the game, I would not be surprised if it's a bug. This same instance happened to me about 2 months ago, before the anti-cheat was cracked. I think it has to do with the car and Jason being on a particular type of terrain. If the ground is angled in a particular way, it could push Jason rather than crash the car. It could also be the effect of Jason walking forward while the car is moving backward on uneven terrain causing a gliding issue. That's what happened to me; I walked forward as the car moved backward, and it pushed me as it moved. I quit the game as it was getting away. Screw that.

I've been pushed like that by a car backing up slow before too and knowing this as the driver of the car I've purposely backed up slow with Jason behind it so it wouldn't break. I don't know if you still can it's been awhile since I've done it but as a counselor I've accidentally walked on top of the car with somebody driving it forward slow too. They started to move as I was running around to get in the passenger side and when it bumped me up on the hood I went and ended up on the roof with them driving. I wondered if it was possible to turn a 4 seater into a 5 and 5 people could escape Thia way but I've never tried it.

Car Push: Probable Bug

Perfect Morphs: Unknown

Rapid Cool Down: Probable Hack

Unlimited Firecrackers: Probable Exploit

15 minutes ago, Duckodb said:

I wondered if it was possible to turn a 4 seater into a 5 and 5 people could escape Thia way but I've never tried it.

Nope. I've seen people try this several times. The counselor on the car just glides off when it crosses the boundary.

A while ago, had to be maybe a month, I was using AJ and climbed in through a window on the Higgins house from the porch. She landed inside the house with her feet through the floor and dust started drifting in a straight line, fast. I could change her direction using the W S A D keys and turn the camera but she wouldn't quit. She was passing through everything too like the clipping had been disabled. I could interrupt it with actions like climbing through a window or opening a door. So bizarre. I got hit and it took me out if it. I wish I could replicate it, pretty bizarre. 

1 hour ago, DasMurich said:

Car Push: Probable Bug

Perfect Morphs: Unknown

Rapid Cool Down: Probable Hack

Unlimited Firecrackers: Probable Exploit

The car push sounds like incomplete programming.

Perfect morphs should be impossible because the morph is based on predetermined spots on a grid system. You can get lucky because I morph on top of people a fair amount, so it could be coincidence or misinterpretation of it being shift and not morph.

Rapid cooldown and multiple statics seem like it could be as much of a glitch as a hack. I've had friends do the multiple static thing as Jason and they say they're not doing anything special for it to happen. 

This game is too sick to tell the difference between its diseases. Not even Dr. House could figure this shit out.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 12:05 PM, ThePunkPirate said:

For the 1st instance, there are predetermined places, on a grid, that Jason lands when he morphs so it may have been coincidence but without footage its hard to tell.

In the second instance, if you stand directly behind a car as it reverses, it will just push Jason around. There actually needs to be a little bit of momentum built up for the crash to happen. This is why I recommend that if you're trying to stop he car while its in reverse, make sure you give it enough space to actually move BEFORE it would hit you.

I dont know if that latter thing has always been i game or not, cant remember since most car stops are from the front or while its usually in motion. Its one of those little things a lot of people dont know about just like how Jason cant remove a player from a car from the passenger side unless its already been started.

Just for future reference, try to make sure if you're going to try and stop a car from the back, give it a bit of a room.

They can't get in the car unless it's been started, that don't make any sense.

7 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

They can't get in the car unless it's been started, that don't make any sense.

He's talking about pulling out the driver from the passenger side. You can usually do it. I guess he's saying the car has to he started at least once before you can do that.

If you're trying to pull the driver out before the car has been started once, you have to do it from the driver's side (is what he's saying).

I've always been able to pull the driver out through the passenger side whenever I've tried...Guess it was always when the car has been started before.

I've noticed an interesting trend lately: partially looted houses with numerous unopened drawers, all of which are empty. Not a map/radio, but empty, and not one or two but whole desks in a room that was otherwise thoroughly searched.

As we can't close drawers with nothing in them, this suggests someone looted the house and knew exactly which drawers not to waste time on. Given the hack videos we've all seen that display where each item in the game is/what it is, it leads me to believe these hacks are being used more often than we might think.

12 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

I've noticed an interesting trend lately: partially looted houses with numerous unopened drawers, all of which are empty. Not a map/radio, but empty, and not one or two but whole desks in a room that was otherwise thoroughly searched.

Never even crossed my mind but I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll be paying more attention to that. 

Another one is see is when you clobber Jason with the bat, all your bonuses pop like Fight Back and more importantly Stunner, and he isn't fucking stunned! 

Game registers the contact, game awards the points, but Jason just keeps going like nothing at all happened.

21 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

As we can't close drawers with nothing in them, this suggests someone looted the house and knew exactly which drawers not to waste time on. Given the hack videos we've all seen that display where each item in the game is/what it is, it leads me to believe these hacks are being used more often than we might think.

I have seen this a lot on Ps4 as well, Now as far as i know there aren't any hacks on consoles that i am aware of but it is odd when you go in a cabin and you can tell it was looted but there are drawers unopened but they are all empty drawers

1 minute ago, Official_Adam_W said:

I have seen this a lot on Ps4 as well, Now as far as i know there aren't any hacks on consoles that i am aware of but it is odd when you go in a cabin and you can tell it was looted but there are drawers unopened but they are all empty drawers

I have seen this trend a lot on Xbox as well, it's really strange. Makes me wonder what kind of foolishness is going on

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, Official_Adam_W said:

If it was just one or two, I'd put it down as coincidence. But what I'm seeing frequently is things like a big cabin with the 2x+2x+1x desks and 2x single drawers in the back 2/3s of the cabin...totally looted front to back and 3-4 unopened drawers, all of which are empty.