Jump to content
Sphen1313

Upcoming patch notes

Recommended Posts

Maybe I missed it, but is there a spot I can go that tells me details about the next patch? I don't mean what's already out. I know about the patch notes section. I'm talking about what is being worked on now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  They are not discussing their plans.  They will release them probably just before the patch is ready, which is "soon™".  See my definition of soon if you choose.  You'll have to search for it.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shifty has said he has some things coming but when is unknown.  Last update Shifty made a pre patch release note so I hope it is something that is frequent with every patch moving forward.  I would love to have a state of the game update every other week would be awesome.  

They could talk about biggest issues being brought up by the community, bugs currently being looked at, if they can a status update on future things coming, a community spotlight section, etc.  Something like this would alleviate sooooo much frustration the community has right now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't want to see patch notes until the patch is live...I'd also love it if the patch notes didn't lie.

"Players who choose the ‘Counselor’ option in the ‘Spawn Preference’ menu will no longer be chosen as Jason (unless there are no other options)"

- This SHOULD mean that unless you're in a lobby where everyone has their preference set to Counselor, you will NEVER get selected as Jason. That isn't the case. Therefore they fixed nothing and this shouldn't be in the notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

I personally don't want to see patch notes until the patch is live...I'd also love it if the patch notes didn't lie.

Oh, you mean like if they say the fuse no longer spawns in the phone house it... actually... doesn't?  🤔

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Oh, you mean like if they say the fuse no longer spawns in the phone house it... actually... doesn't?  🤔

That too. I edited and added my example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I personally don't want to see patch notes until the patch is live...I'd also love it if the patch notes didn't lie.

"Players who choose the ‘Counselor’ option in the ‘Spawn Preference’ menu will no longer be chosen as Jason (unless there are no other options)"

- This SHOULD mean that unless you're in a lobby where everyone has their preference set to Counselor, you will NEVER get selected as Jason. That isn't the case. Therefore they fixed nothing and this shouldn't be in the notes.

So, by that logic, if the lobby is full of seven players with "Counselor Only" and one player at "No Preference", the "No Preference" player would be Jason every match?

I'd have a problem with that. Is the game set up to not have consecutive QP matches with the same user as Jason, and if so, should that be changed?

Of course, the easier answer would be to Make Jason Great Again, so more people would want to play him over the counselors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

That too. I edited and added my example.

Good to see you back, Alder.  :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

So, by that logic, if the lobby is full of seven players with "Counselor Only" and one player at "No Preference", the "No Preference" player would be Jason every match?

I'd have a problem with that. Is the game set up to not have consecutive QP matches with the same user as Jason, and if so, should that be changed?

Of course, the easier answer would be to Make Jason Great Again, so more people would want to play him over the counselors.

If 7 people prefer to be counselors and 1 person has no preference or is set to Jason...what's the problem?

It's pretty simple...You should only have to be Jason if there's no other choices. The only time that's the case is if EVERYONE is set to counselor preference.

If 1 or 2 are cool with being Jason, it should only be them chosen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

So, by that logic, if the lobby is full of seven players with "Counselor Only" and one player at "No Preference", the "No Preference" player would be Jason every match?

I'd have a problem with that.

So what? If you're one of the seven "Counselor Only" players in that lobby, change your setting or find another lobby. If you're the one "No Preference" and you don't want to be Jason every round...change your setting or find another lobby. And if you're not in the lobby why should anyone care what you have a problem with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

If 7 people prefer to be counselors and 1 person has no preference or is set to Jason...what's the problem?

It's pretty simple...You should only have to be Jason if there's no other choices. The only time that's the case is if EVERYONE is set to counselor preference.

If 1 or 2 are cool with being Jason, it should only be them chosen.

This.  There shouldn't be any problem if one person wants to be Jason while the other 7 don't.  You should only be forced to play Jason if you RNG it because no one has it set to Jason preference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

Shifty has said he has some things coming but when is unknown.  Last update Shifty made a pre patch release note so I hope it is something that is frequent with every patch moving forward.  I would love to have a state of the game update every other week would be awesome.  

They could talk about biggest issues being brought up by the community, bugs currently being looked at, if they can a status update on future things coming, a community spotlight section, etc.  Something like this would alleviate sooooo much frustration the community has right now.  

I think that would be a great idea. As a player, it would be nice to know what specifically they're working on. As a developer, they can hear feedback on certain ideas before releasing them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sphen1313 said:

I think that would be a great idea. As a player, it would be nice to know what specifically they're working on. As a developer, they can hear feedback on certain ideas before releasing them. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I'd rather they just be more diligent in the patches they release. If it wasn't for every new patch breaking more than it fixes, we'd be in great shape.

Unfortunately the rate at which they've managed to fix things hasn't been good enough, let alone the fact that each new patch piles on.

The solution is a good internal team of testers. They need people who are understanding the issues as well as we do, who know how to spot them, and how to give the proper feedback needed to come to the proper fixes.

You'd think the people testing this stuff now have never played the game. Every patch has had some serious head scratching changes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I'd rather they just be more diligent in the patches they release. If it wasn't for every new patch breaking more than it fixes, we'd be in great shape.

Unfortunately the rate at which they've managed to fix things hasn't been good enough, let alone the fact that each new patch piles on.

The solution is a good internal team of testers. They need people who are understanding the issues as well as we do, who know how to spot them, and how to give the proper feedback needed to come to the proper fixes.

You'd think the people testing this stuff now have never played the game. Every patch has had some serious head scratching changes.

Agreed, no video game team should be without an internal testing team. If they could organize this, we would have these issues fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

No.  They are not discussing their plans.  They will release them probably just before the patch is ready, which is "soon™".  See my definition of soon if you choose.  You'll have to search for it.  

 "soon™" Exactly! This clip explains the brilliance of their masterplan...

 

20 minutes ago, Sphen1313 said:

I think that would be a great idea. As a player, it would be nice to know what specifically they're working on. As a developer, they can hear feedback on certain ideas before releasing them. 

I agree, even if it was a simple message explaining patches problems or a little screenshot teaser we wouldn't be having to speculate so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sphen1313 said:

I think that would be a great idea. As a player, it would be nice to know what specifically they're working on. As a developer, they can hear feedback on certain ideas before releasing them. 

In theory that would be great but often times they slide things in not listed or even the stuff listed isn't actually fixed.  

18 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

The solution is a good internal team of testers. They need people who are understanding the issues as well as we do, who know how to spot them, and how to give the proper feedback needed to come to the proper fixes.

You'd think the people testing this stuff now have never played the game. Every patch has had some serious head scratching changes.

They really do need a better QA team.  Coming from QA though sometimes you are just testing functionality over balance.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was just purely functionality testing and regression testing.  The devs fix a bug and the testers just test to see if it is fixed.  The devs change something, they test to see if it is working according to spec or what the design doc says.  This is why I strongly believe they do not do any kind of playtesting either with the community or between the Gun and IllFonic. 

That's where they really need to focus on as well. At least once or twice a week dedicate an hour or two to playtesting on new builds with new balance/gameplay changes.  Get everyone from the teams to play multiple games against different groups. See how these changes effect the game and player base.   Every now and then roll back to the current release build and play with the community.  See if there is anything currently in the game that isn't addressed yet or might possibly create new issues with the futures change planned.  

This game could really use a solid focus test group or play test group.  
 

Quote

Agreed, no video game team should be without an internal testing team. If they could organize this, we would have these issues fixed.

They do have a team.  I believe they said 3 on Gun's side and 3 on IllFonic's side.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

So what? If you're one of the seven "Counselor Only" players in that lobby, change your setting or find another lobby. If you're the one "No Preference" and you don't want to be Jason every round...change your setting or find another lobby. And if you're not in the lobby why should anyone care what you have a problem with?

On consoles you have to leave the lobby to change that particular setting, so even if you wanted to do so, you couldn't without risking spending the next twenty minutes looking for another lobby.  That's a big stretch to avoid being selected as Jason for every match if you'd rather have a bit of variety.

I like being Jason.  Really, I do.  But I do feel like a lot of Counselor Enthusiasts tend to take Jason players for granted, especially in Rando QP matches.

One fix for that would be a voting system in the Lobby to select the player for Jason in the next round.  I'm not saying it's the best idea, but it's better than sitting in a lobby and having two players switch on and off as Jason for the next two hours (assuming you stay connected, or the host doesn't quit).

There's an entitlement class that refuses to play Jason.  How many QP matches have been ended prematurely by some Try Hard Counselor Enthusiast without a mic who had to play Jason and just quit within the first few minutes?  If they knew ahead of time that they were going to be Jason in the next round, it'd save us all the grief of sitting through load and cut screens/scenes, as well as a lobby cooldown.

It's just my opinion.  If you want to play as Jason every match, start a private lobby.  Otherwise, there should be a voting system in place or the selection should rotate.  People can disagree all they want, it's when they act like tools in the game that it becomes an issue for me, and I definitely could have been more eloquent earlier.  Players aggressively trolling, harassing newer players, and being a jackass in general do far more to harm player retention in this game than any of the technical issues, balancing concerns, or lack of dedicated servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Corkenstein unfortunately, what happened with their last batch of play testers is well documented on twitter. And some have even tipped us off to even more info of what occurs behind closed doors. Learning more about it every day...

If I were the devs, I'd be paying attention to the issues most commonly brought up on this forum on a daily basis. I've seen almost every issue discussed with a good amount of depth here. Lots of useful info for them to use.

If only the devs could put their hurt feelings aside and actually embraced this forum, we could actually get somewhere.

We all just want the best game possible. So it begs the question - Why so little interaction with us?

My honest opinion is that they're clearly inexperienced with the engine and don't seem to understand the chain of events that occurs when they make minor changes. I think a lot of the glitches just make the devs shrug their shoulders...probably why fixes take so long. They're learning as they go. They're not the ones in control.

Then you have just straight ill-advised design choices...like adding more defensive items for counselors when Jason was already nerfed.

Window play, from beta, to launch, to now has seen so many bad changes, it really makes you wonder who is ok'ing the stuff...Now Jason can't even break a window until the counselor's protective bubble goes away.

The unfortunate reality is that the game is a mess. But that isn't anyone here's fault...I can tell you that much.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

@Corkenstein unfortunately, what happened with their last batch of play testers is well documented on twitter. And some have even tipped us off to even more info of what occurs behind closed doors. Learning more about it every day...

If I were the devs, I'd be paying attention to the issues most commonly brought up on this forum on a daily basis. I've seen almost every issue discussed with a good amount of depth here. Lots of useful info for them to use.

If only the devs could put their hurt feelings aside and actually embraced this forum, we could actually get somewhere.

We all just want the best game possible. So it begs the question - Why so little interaction with us?

My honest opinion is that they're clearly inexperienced with the engine and don't seem to understand the chain of events that occurs when they make minor changes. I think a lot of the glitches just make the devs shrug their shoulders...probably why fixes take so long. They're learning as they go. They're not the ones in control.

Then you have just straight ill-advised design choices...like adding more defensive items for counselors when Jason was already nerfed.

Window play, from beta, to launch, to now has seen so many bad changes, it really makes you wonder who is ok'ing the stuff...Now Jason can't even break a window until the counselor's protective bubble goes away.

The unfortunate reality is that the game is a mess. But that isn't anyone here's fault...I can tell you that much.

 

Oh wow, I had no idea they did an open play test session with some of the community.  Maybe it happened while I was gone for a bit.  You got some Twitter links?  Would love to read up on it and see what happened or what went wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

Oh wow, I had no idea they did an open play test session with some of the community.  Maybe it happened while I was gone for a bit.  You got some Twitter links?  Would love to read up on it and see what happened or what went wrong. 

I'm not exactly sure the nature of the tests or when they happened. I don't think it was open by any means...But I think this is all old news now. I get the feeling that whole thing ended around October. That's when all the play testers seemed to rebel on twitter.

People like JentheStrange and Laphin said they weren't being listened to and then made a bunch of other cryptic tweets/statuses/reviews.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm not exactly sure the nature of the tests or when they happened. I don't think it was open by any means...But I think this is all old news now. I get the feeling that whole thing ended around October. That's when all the play testers seemed to rebel on twitter.

People like JentheStrange and Laphin said they weren't being listened to and then made a bunch of other cryptic tweets/statuses/reviews.

Yeah just read up on it.  Amazing how the same thing is still happening 3 months later.  Such a shame.  Some of the most avid and dedicated fans even felt ignored or not listened to.  Unfortunately the Laphin video was taken down so it would have been awesome to see what he said.  Whatever it was, it didn't sound good or positive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm not exactly sure the nature of the tests or when they happened. I don't think it was open by any means...But I think this is all old news now. I get the feeling that whole thing ended around October. That's when all the play testers seemed to rebel on twitter.

People like JentheStrange and Laphin said they weren't being listened to and then made a bunch of other cryptic tweets/statuses/reviews.

Ya i saw their tweets and was like what happened. They were really on board with the game and then get very negative about it however i don't know the full scopr as to what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's basically just the same thing the entire community is tired of...People tired of patches that don't fix the problems and unwanted fluff DLC.

They just took it a little further because they felt entitled as play testers. Which I suppose I can understand. There's no point in being a play tester if your concerns are ignored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

On consoles you have to leave the lobby to change that particular setting, so even if you wanted to do so, you couldn't without risking spending the next twenty minutes looking for another lobby.

JCFC...20 minutes?! I thought console was supposed to be where all the players are! Steam is only around ~800-1500 active at any given time, and lobbies fill (mostly) up in a few minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm not exactly sure the nature of the tests or when they happened. I don't think it was open by any means...But I think this is all old news now. I get the feeling that whole thing ended around October. That's when all the play testers seemed to rebel on twitter.

People like JentheStrange and Laphin said they weren't being listened to and then made a bunch of other cryptic tweets/statuses/reviews.

Some others as well have stated that they still have a direct line to the devs but they won't respond anymore.  They were all their play testers from pre release.  They've offered suggestions, help, advice and the devs just stopped responding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×